October 15, 2019, 04:24:40 PM

Author Topic: Jared Allen agrees to 4-year deal with Bears  (Read 4547 times)

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
Jared Allen agrees to 4-year deal with Bears
« on: March 26, 2014, 07:13:12 AM »
Allen will receive $32 million over four years, with $15.5 million guaranteed. That makes him the Bears' highest average-per-year earner on defense.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
Re: Jared Allen agrees to 4-year deal with Bears
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 07:33:26 AM »
Just saw that...   good pickup for Bears, he is high motor guy.  Was hoping Allen would no longer be in the NFC North.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 07:42:10 AM »
I was hoping to be done with this guy in the NFCN. 

I think this is a pretty good deal for DA bears.  Allen is at the very worst case a lateral move from Peppers.  I'd have to see the structure of the deal but it looks like they were able to pay him substantially less than what they were slotted to pay JP. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 09:27:43 AM »
Jared Allen was a terrific DE. Now, he's pretty much done. After all, in his two games against the Packers last year, playing against a rookie LT who had an up and down season, Allen was a non-factor. The Bears overpaid for a "name" who's best years are behind him. Last year the Bears D stunk. Signing Allen is not going to fix the problem. But, since its the Bears, I really like the signing! Because I think its a really bad move- and anything bad for the Bears is fine with me.

Now, comparing Peppers to Allen is going to be inevitable, and I'd be happy to make a small wager (say $25) that Peppers will have more sacks than Allen this year. The money would go toward a charity- something non-religious, non-political and non-controversial. I'd suggest a reputable disease prevention organization, something that would benefit children, or, the ASPCA. This would be strictly on the honor system. I'll accept the wager with the first four posters (at $25 each) who would take this seriously. Because I will cut four checks at the end of the season if I lose. Injuries DO NOT cancel the bet. Though it might mean the checks would be sent out earlier.

If this is acceptable to the mods, let this stand. Or even join in. Good causes get some needed cash, and it would give us something to keep an eye on this year.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 09:36:52 AM »
Jared Allen was a terrific DE. Now, he's pretty much done. After all, in his two games against the Packers last year, playing against a rookie LT who had an up and down season, Allen was a non-factor. The Bears overpaid for a "name" who's best years are behind him. Last year the Bears D stunk. Signing Allen is not going to fix the problem. But, since its the Bears, I really like the signing! Because I think its a really bad move- and anything bad for the Bears is fine with me.

Now, comparing Peppers to Allen is going to be inevitable, and I'd be happy to make a small wager (say $25) that Peppers will have more sacks than Allen this year. The money would go toward a charity- something non-religious, non-political and non-controversial. I'd suggest a reputable disease prevention organization, something that would benefit children, or, the ASPCA. This would be strictly on the honor system. I'll accept the wager with the first four posters (at $25 each) who would take this seriously. Because I will cut four checks at the end of the season if I lose. Injuries DO NOT cancel the bet. Though it might mean the checks would be sent out earlier.

If this is acceptable to the mods, let this stand. Or even join in. Good causes get some needed cash, and it would give us something to keep an eye on this year.

I still think Allen has something in the tank and will still play well, but I do agree Bears overpaid.  They pushed out more money for Cutler to make it happen and probably need to push out some more for rookie signings.  They must think salary cap really goes up in future years with pushing out money and having to sign Marshal and Jefferies in upcoming years.

1st game vs Packers Allen was a non-factor, but last year Allen had total of 40 sacks/pressures/hurries, Peppers only had 16.5.  That is a big difference in production for pass rushers.

I like that Packers gave Peppers a try and I think he will bounce back some, but also believe they overpaid for him (which you typically need to do in FA).

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 10:37:13 AM »
I think Allen is a decent signing for Chicago, but I also think Peppers will do more to improve the Packers defense than Allen will for 'da Bears. He represents a "plug and play" solution for them, whereas Peppers brings a bunch of variables like experience, durability, and versatility to the Packers. Looking at only sack totals will not reveal how much Peppers will improve the Packer defense.

Then there's the old cliche' that you can't control what the opponent does to improve, you can only tend to your own back yard. It may seem trite, but it's true... The Packers have already made some moves that will likely improve their defense, and there's more to come!

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 11:54:34 AM »

I don't see Allen being anymore done than Peppers.  He outproduced him last year, he's younger and he's got less miles on his body.  Also, Peppers contract after this year isn't substainable so if he has a great year then it is going back to the drawing board.  I haven't seen the contract breakdown for Allen but 8 million for a double digit sack guy is a bargin if that is the breakdown.  Allen wasn't anymore of a nonfactor last year than Peppers was.  Chicago just signed a guy that was a SUBSTANTIALLY better pass rusher last year for half the money they were slotted to pay Peppers.  I've never heard of a guy that is currently in the longest double digit sack streak in the NFL being labeled as "done". 

I think a Bears fan could make that EXACT statement about the Packers.  The packers are taking virtually the same group of players + peppers into 2014 in hopes that they have a better outcome than the monstrsisty that was the 2013 defense. 

Sorry, I don't bet on Sports and I surely don't bet on the Bears. 

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 12:16:06 PM »
Both are great signings if they can still produce, the question is will either one fall off the cliff in the next two years.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 12:16:53 PM by ChicagoPackerFan »

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 02:48:03 PM »
Jared Allen was a terrific DE. Now, he's pretty much done. After all, in his two games against the Packers last year, playing against a rookie LT who had an up and down season, Allen was a non-factor.

In the 2nd game:

Allen had 3 great stops in run defense, hit the QB 3 times, hurried him 4 times, blocked 1 pass at the LOS, made 3 tackles and 1 assist. Once he learned our LT was susceptible to the bull rush and could use his speed to beat him on getting to the RB, he did well.

Allen should do just fine in Chicago. I was hoping he would go AFC.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 02:56:58 PM »
Jared Allen was a terrific DE. Now, he's pretty much done. After all, in his two games against the Packers last year, playing against a rookie LT who had an up and down season, Allen was a non-factor.

In the 2nd game:

Allen had 3 great stops in run defense, hit the QB 3 times, hurried him 4 times, blocked 1 pass at the LOS, made 3 tackles and 1 assist. Once he learned our LT was susceptible to the bull rush and could use his speed to beat him on getting to the RB, he did well.

Allen should do just fine in Chicago. I was hoping he would go AFC.

I tend to agree.
I dont think Allen's a dog quite yet.
Cant say he's worth the money or not - glad he cost CHI more than Pepper's cost us - but he's still got something left.
Oddly - I'm glad he didn't go to SEA. They must have seriously low-balled him. He passed on his best SB shot there.
We've been playing him twice a year for some time. Oh well - still have to. I'll take the swap.

Come to think of it.....
Perhaps it wasn't just the lower salary offer from SEA.
Perhaps they'd have cut into his snap count being that they're fairly well loaded on the DL already and like to rotate people in and out. Perhaps Mr. Allen has HOF on his mind as well as the SB. Dont know if he's got HOF numbers quite yet. Maybe thats why he wants the snaps. And then maybe, none of this conjecture has anything to do with anything!  :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 03:11:11 PM by Leader »

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 03:02:20 PM »
Allen can be handful but he isn't as versatile as Peppers is.  Peppers will come at you from anywhere along the line whereas Allen is usually seen over the LT.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 07:28:04 AM »

I tend to agree.
Cant say he's worth the money or not - glad he cost CHI more than Pepper's cost us - but he's still got something left.
Oddly - I'm glad he didn't go to SEA. They must have seriously low-balled him. He passed on his best SB shot there.
We've been playing him twice a year for some time. Oh well - still have to. I'll take the swap.

Come to think of it.....
Perhaps they'd have cut into his snap count being that they're fairly well loaded on the DL already and like to rotate people in and out. Perhaps Mr. Allen has HOF on his mind as well as the SB. Dont know if he's got HOF numbers quite yet. Maybe thats why he wants the snaps. And then maybe, none of this conjecture has anything to do with anything!  :)

Allen's contract is basically a 2 year version of Peppers' deal but for slighly less money.  If both players work out for their respective teams, the Allen deal is going to be substantially better deal.  Seattle had a 2 year 12 million dollar on the table (unsure on the guaranteed money).

I went and looked and Allen is currently 12th in all time sacks.  Worst case scenerio he'd get himself in the top 10.  If he duplicates his numbers last year he'd in the top 6.  He's 13 sacks away from Straham who was just inducted into the Hall, so I think it is pretty safe to say Allen is borderline.  He leads the NFL in sacks in the 10 years he's been in the league. 

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 07:52:09 AM »

I tend to agree.

Come to think of it.....

Allen's contract is basically a 2 year version of Peppers' deal but for slighly less money.  If both players work out for their respective teams, the Allen deal is going to be substantially better deal.  Seattle had a 2 year 12 million dollar on the table (unsure on the guaranteed money).

I went and looked and Allen is currently 12th in all time sacks.  Worst case scenerio he'd get himself in the top 10.  If he duplicates his numbers last year he'd in the top 6.  He's 13 sacks away from Straham who was just inducted into the Hall, so I think it is pretty safe to say Allen is borderline.  He leads the NFL in sacks in the 10 years he's been in the league.

Interesting...
Are the career sack leaders ahead of Strahan also in the HOF?
Wondering if that stat alone was preeminent in getting him elected - like 500HR's used to be in baseball -or the SB rings did the trick. If Allen winds up.....say....#5 sack leader of all time - but never wins a SB - you think he gets in?

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 10:50:02 AM »

I tend to agree.

Come to think of it.....

Interesting...
Wondering if that stat alone was preeminent in getting him elected - like 500HR's used to be in baseball -or the SB rings did the trick. If Allen winds up.....say....#5 sack leader of all time - but never wins a SB - you think he gets in?

The only guy above Strahan that  isn't in is Kevin Greene (#3), which I think is ridiculous.   Greene has routenly been a finalist though.  I stopped trying to understand that committee.  With both Greene (1 SB) and Haley (5 SBs) not being in, I don't think Super Bowls hold a ton of weight. 

I'm unsure if Allen will get in or not.  I personally don't think he is anywhere close to being "done" but I'm not sure he'll get to Greene either.  He'd need 3 more years like last year and I'm not sure he'll get there.  Allen's been the best pass rusher in the NFL in the last decade but he's been on terible teams.   He's currently in the NFL's current, longest streak of having double digit sacks.   He's not going to get in on his first ballot but I think he'll be borderline. 

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 11:28:42 AM »

I tend to agree.

Come to think of it.....

Interesting...

The only guy above Strahan that  isn't in is Kevin Greene (#3), which I think is ridiculous.   Greene has routenly been a finalist though.  I stopped trying to understand that committee.  With both Greene (1 SB) and Haley (5 SBs) not being in, I don't think Super Bowls hold a ton of weight. 

I'm unsure if Allen will get in or not.  I personally don't think he is anywhere close to being "done" but I'm not sure he'll get to Greene either.  He'd need 3 more years like last year and I'm not sure he'll get there.  Allen's been the best pass rusher in the NFL in the last decade but he's been on terible teams.   He's currently in the NFL's current, longest streak of having double digit sacks.   He's not going to get in on his first ballot but I think he'll be borderline.

Is that SB rings?
Where does Haley stand on that list?
With 5 SB's - if thats rings - he must be nowhere close - or his "character" issues (wasn't he busted for something?) are weighing too heavily.