October 15, 2019, 09:24:09 PM

Author Topic: Jared Allen agrees to 4-year deal with Bears  (Read 4548 times)

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
Re: Jared Allen agrees to 4-year deal with Bears
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 12:36:52 PM »
Jared Allen was a terrific DE. Now, he's pretty much done. After all, in his two games against the Packers last year, playing against a rookie LT who had an up and down season, Allen was a non-factor.

In the 2nd game:

Allen had 3 great stops in run defense, hit the QB 3 times, hurried him 4 times, blocked 1 pass at the LOS, made 3 tackles and 1 assist. Once he learned our LT was susceptible to the bull rush and could use his speed to beat him on getting to the RB, he did well.

That 2nd had one big difference over the first: the Green Bay QB.  I submit that Allen wouldn't have had the same stat line vs. Rodgers in that sceond game than he did against Tolzein/Flynn.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 02:47:27 PM »

I tend to agree.
I dont think Allen's a dog quite yet.
Cant say he's worth the money or not - glad he cost CHI more than Pepper's cost us - but he's still got something left.
Oddly - I'm glad he didn't go to SEA. They must have seriously low-balled him. He passed on his best SB shot there.
We've been playing him twice a year for some time. Oh well - still have to. I'll take the swap.

Come to think of it.....
Perhaps it wasn't just the lower salary offer from SEA.
Perhaps they'd have cut into his snap count being that they're fairly well loaded on the DL already and like to rotate people in and out. Perhaps Mr. Allen has HOF on his mind as well as the SB. Dont know if he's got HOF numbers quite yet. Maybe thats why he wants the snaps. And then maybe, none of this conjecture has anything to do with anything!  :)

Allen's contract is basically a 2 year version of Peppers' deal but for slighly less money.  If both players work out for their respective teams, the Allen deal is going to be substantially better deal.  Seattle had a 2 year 12 million dollar on the table (unsure on the guaranteed money).

I went and looked and Allen is currently 12th in all time sacks.  Worst case scenerio he'd get himself in the top 10.  If he duplicates his numbers last year he'd in the top 6.  He's 13 sacks away from Straham who was just inducted into the Hall, so I think it is pretty safe to say Allen is borderline.  He leads the NFL in sacks in the 10 years he's been in the league.

Interesting...
Are the career sack leaders ahead of Strahan also in the HOF?
Wondering if that stat alone was preeminent in getting him elected - like 500HR's used to be in baseball -or the SB rings did the trick. If Allen winds up.....say....#5 sack leader of all time - but never wins a SB - you think he gets in?

The only guy above Strahan that  isn't in is Kevin Greene (#3), which I think is ridiculous.   Greene has routenly been a finalist though.  I stopped trying to understand that committee.  With both Greene (1 SB) and Haley (5 SBs) not being in, I don't think Super Bowls hold a ton of weight. 

I'm unsure if Allen will get in or not.  I personally don't think he is anywhere close to being "done" but I'm not sure he'll get to Greene either.  He'd need 3 more years like last year and I'm not sure he'll get there.  Allen's been the best pass rusher in the NFL in the last decade but he's been on terible teams.   He's currently in the NFL's current, longest streak of having double digit sacks.   He's not going to get in on his first ballot but I think he'll be borderline.

Is that SB rings?
Where does Haley stand on that list?
With 5 SB's - if thats rings - he must be nowhere close - or his "character" issues (wasn't he busted for something?) are weighing too heavily.

Yeah, SB rings.  Charles Haley is the only player in NFL history with 5 NFL rings.  He was a guy that helped shift the ballace of power in the NFC from San Fran to Dallas.  With guys like Mike Irvin and LT in the Hall I doubt it is just a character issue.  Haley had a pretty well known beaf with the media so many think it is simply some of them holding a grudge agianst a guy that treated them like crap. 

He's got 100.5 sacks.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 02:59:47 PM »

Good points.
There are some real smoes in the HOF - criminal / character wise.
I'm not a proponent of keeping them out because of it though. If they do it on the field between jail terms or drug rehabs - they did whats necessary on the field. Maybe Hayley's come up in bad years - too many "better" candidates. Dont know. Dont really care either - but he was good.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 05:09:57 PM »
That 2nd had one big difference over the first: the Green Bay QB.  I submit that Allen wouldn't have had the same stat line vs. Rodgers in that sceond game than he did against Tolzein/Flynn.

Sure, I could see that. Confirms how good Rodgers is. Watch some of the film from that game though and you will see a big difference in the play of Allen and how he handled Baki.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi