October 16, 2019, 01:50:33 PM

Author Topic: "Red flags" on players Packers might target (FWIW)  (Read 3112 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
"Red flags" on players Packers might target (FWIW)
« on: March 30, 2014, 06:11:51 PM »
http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-must-be-wary-of-red-flags-with-top-draft-prospects-ebron-mosley-clinton-dix

The writer seems to have put the "red flags" in order of seriousness. Ebron, if this is true, could well be one of those who would fit in the "I" area of "TEAM" (thanks for a good laugh, Mark). Do the Packers really want another Finley-type personality? A high ability, high potential, but also high maintenance player.

Now, as far as Mosley goes, this doesn't seem all that serious. Though with the Packers history on the injury front the last few years, it would be something to consider.

As far as Clinton-Dix goes, oh my. That this was included seems to be a major stretch. Perhaps they should have included that there are reports he extorted the lunch money from little Stevie in the seventh grade.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: "Red flags" on players Packers might target (FWIW)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 09:45:52 PM »
Lots of spin and smoke coming out these days.  Expect more in the next couple of months.

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 06:16:15 PM »
These guys are overanalyzed to the point of exhaustion. I'd be happy with Ebron at #21, but think he'll go earlier because of a lack of top end offensive talent this year. Not interested in either Clinton-Dix or Mosely (because of a lack of speed and injury issues.) I'd much rather see the Packers nab Hageman, Pryor, Verrett or even Shazier or Van Noy than either of the aforementioned guys.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 07:06:06 AM »
I don't put much into these "Redflags".  Lacey and Shields both had huge redflags coming out of college.  Sheilds' kept him from getting him drafted. 

Burfict is another guy who had redflags that kept him from getting drafted and a two seasons later he is one of the best LBs in the NFL.

I think a solid locker room like Green Bay's could help a guy like Ebron or Haha-Dix.  I'm not overly worried about either and think both would present instant and HUGE upgrades over what we currently have.   

I think the Mosley talk reminds me of the Lacey talk last year.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline SunshinePacker

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 08:55:57 AM »
These guys are overanalyzed to the point of exhaustion. I'd be happy with Ebron at #21, but think he'll go earlier because of a lack of top end offensive talent this year. Not interested in either Clinton-Dix or Mosely (because of a lack of speed and injury issues.) I'd much rather see the Packers nab Hageman, Pryor, Verrett or even Shazier or Van Noy than either of the aforementioned guys.

not sure that Mosley lacks speed. His 40 time is 0.20 faster than Chris Bourland, the next best ILB according to most in this year's draft and only 0.05 slower than Kuechley ran before he was drafted in the top 10.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 10:09:30 AM »

not sure that Mosley lacks speed. His 40 time is 0.20 faster than Chris Bourland, the next best ILB according to most in this year's draft and only 0.05 slower than Kuechley ran before he was drafted in the top 10.

I think he was refering to Clinton-Dix's lack of speed however he ran the same 40 time as Pryor.

Act your age, not your shoe size.

50PoundHead

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 02:01:22 PM »

Amen except to the part on Moseley.  If he's available, I can't think of a better fit for us (provided the medical staff thinks everything is a-ok).

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
I don't put much into these "Redflags".  Lacey and Shields both had huge redflags coming out of college.  Sheilds' kept him from getting him drafted. 

Burfict is another guy who had redflags that kept him from getting drafted and a two seasons later he is one of the best LBs in the NFL.

I think a solid locker room like Green Bay's could help a guy like Ebron or Haha-Dix.  I'm not overly worried about either and think both would present instant and HUGE upgrades over what we currently have.   

I think the Mosley talk reminds me of the Lacey talk last year.

I remember Lacy having injury (turf toe surgery) and workout habits as issues, but I don't recall Shields ever having issues except he was converting from WR to CB (not sure that's an issue though). Can you enlighten me on Shields

Burfict, on the other hand, had issues of playing under control/within the game rules. At one point, he was even benched by his coach (a very easygoing Dennis Erickson) for committing sooooo many personal fouls. Then he ran a 10 minute (j/k) 40 yard dash at the combine along with very lackluster other measurables that absolutely killed his draft stock. To his credit, he figured out what he had to do, and not to do, to succeed in the NFL. Good player!

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 05:29:13 PM »
Shields was a part of the Miami "improper benefits" scandal and reportedly failed a drug test. I'm pretty sure it came out later that he did not (in fact) fail that test.

Similar to how Raji and Matthews bot reportedly failed drug tests the year before.