October 14, 2019, 09:12:07 PM

Author Topic: Your Pre- Draft Top 3  (Read 9182 times)

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Your Pre- Draft Top 3
« on: April 18, 2014, 08:19:49 PM »
Here's the deal.  We are in the Packer war room prior to the draft beginning and your are a scout.  Give me your top 3 players that have a REALISTIC chance at being there at #21 and you wouldnt have any problem taking with the pick.  If 2 of the 3 players you name are gone by #21 you are immediately fired. 

Here are mine:

1.  Louis Nix -   Not a huge fan of this pick but it makes some sense.   The 3-4 starts with the nose tackle.  If Raji bombs out or gets hurt this year you are screwed in 2015.   You dont want to go into the 2015 draft with a huge need like NT in a 3-4 defense.  What if the 2015 NT draft class is garbage??  This year Nix can get into a rotation with Raji and spell him at times, and eventually replace him .  Nix is a active NT with good quickness for his size.  The knee is a concern, but IMO he be a good pick in a CRITICAL position for the 3-4.  Raji had 17 tackles in 2013, you need to find a new home for players who dog it,  because the film all these players are watching each week doesnt lie.   

2.  CJ Mosley -  Like this pick.  Hes active, tough and can go sideline to sideline.   Will start and improve out ILB corps from day 1.  Our ILB's are terrible.  I hope to replace both of them in this draft.

3.  Calvin Pryor - Pretty active safety both deep and in the box.  No doubt he fills a need.  Will have to tune down his approach with the NFL headhunting rules, but would be a great addition to our secondary in a division with improving passing offenses.

My first hope was that Eric Ebron would be there but I think he'll be gone.  Id didnt want to take the risk of firing myself if another of these players went ahead of our pick  :-[ .    Heck, all 3 of these could be gone by #21, and I get welcomed to pink slip city.  :P

Who are your top 3??? 

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Your Pre- Draft Top 3
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 10:37:30 PM »
NT Rashede Hageman, WR Marquise Lee, LB Ryan Shazier.

Hageman over Nix because i don't want Raji mk2, which is what i think Nix might be. Hageman carries a risk of having conditiioning issues, but he isa different body, and anyone who can do 35 or so reps of 225 with long-lever arms (he is 6'6") is STRONG.

Lee is very skillfull and polished. If he hadn't been injured this year, I suspect he would be gone in the teens. Safe pick

Shazier has the speed I'd like to see in an inside LB, which is where I'd put him.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 10:40:31 PM »
I would have CJ Mosley way ahead of anyone else.  Reminds me a bit of LaVonte David, one of those LB's who fly around the field just getting their nose in everything.  I thought Hawk played well last year, but he's not beating any RB's or TE's to the top of their route, so adding someone like Mosley would be much welcomed in my book.

Secondly, I guess I would go with Pryor/Ward.  Think both of them have some flaws that would require some work, which I'm not fond of with a first round pick but we desperately need some help back there.  (I really wanted Haha, but over the last two months it's looking more and more like he'll be the first safety off the board, and I imagine he's gone by 15 or so)

Third, I'd probably look to trade back and pick up some extra picks and then go after Shazier or Van Noy.  Like aspects of both their games, Shazier is super athletic and Van Noy has great instincts.  Shazier looks lost at times and Van Noy isn't any faster than Hawk which also worries me, so if we were able to gain a few picks and still take them in the early second I could probably live with that.

edit: I agree with OneTwoFiveSix, I would love to have Marquise Lee.  Not sure how he slipped my mind but he'd probably be my third choice before moving down
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:42:21 PM by bbayley »

Offline CletidusH

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 08:45:46 AM »
I'm with you The GM on your Nix pick.  He's got the talent to be a very good NFL NG.  I've lost faith in Raji, and Guion is a Vikings reject that I am skeptical about.  Nix is not a surefire bet either, but I think he's incredibly quick for a big guy, and I'm impressed with him when I've seen him interviewed.  The Pack was just so poor up the middle last year, I think they have to add another talented body on the interior line to challenge Raji and possibly replace him assuming this is his last year in GB.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 02:40:28 AM »
Here's the deal.  We are in the Packer war room prior to the draft beginning and your are a scout.  Give me your top 3 players that have a REALISTIC chance at being there at #21 and you wouldnt have any problem taking with the pick.  If 2 of the 3 players you name are gone by #21 you are immediately fired. 

Here are mine:

1.  Louis Nix -   Not a huge fan of this pick but it makes some sense.   The 3-4 starts with the nose tackle.  If Raji bombs out or gets hurt this year you are screwed in 2015.   You dont want to go into the 2015 draft with a huge need like NT in a 3-4 defense.  What if the 2015 NT draft class is garbage??  This year Nix can get into a rotation with Raji and spell him at times, and eventually replace him .  Nix is a active NT with good quickness for his size.  The knee is a concern, but IMO he be a good pick in a CRITICAL position for the 3-4.  Raji had 17 tackles in 2013, you need to find a new home for players who dog it,  because the film all these players are watching each week doesnt lie.   

2.  CJ Mosley -  Like this pick.  Hes active, tough and can go sideline to sideline.   Will start and improve out ILB corps from day 1.  Our ILB's are terrible.  I hope to replace both of them in this draft.

3.  Calvin Pryor - Pretty active safety both deep and in the box.  No doubt he fills a need.  Will have to tune down his approach with the NFL headhunting rules, but would be a great addition to our secondary in a division with improving passing offenses.

My first hope was that Eric Ebron would be there but I think he'll be gone.  Id didnt want to take the risk of firing myself if another of these players went ahead of our pick  :-[ .    Heck, all 3 of these could be gone by #21, and I get welcomed to pink slip city.  :P

Who are your top 3??? 

why would you get fired if 2 of 3 guys you had rated as #21-worthy were gone?
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Zyvlyn

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 04:25:53 AM »

Here are mine:

Who are your top 3??? 

why would you get fired if 2 of 3 guys you had rated as #21-worthy were gone?

I thought that was weird too.  It's the only measure of success in the game.  I thought about posting the names of 3 6th rounders just to make sure I wouldn't be fired.  Sorry to the OP, but I'm going to post my top 3 with slightly different guidelines in mind.

The guy who I really want, but probably won't be there:  Calvin Pryor.

The guy who should be there that I'd love to have: CJ Mosley

The guy who will almost certainly be there who I wouldn't mind taking if the others are gone: Ra'shede Hageman

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 07:13:27 AM »
It was just a added parameter to help list players who would actually be there at #21.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 07:17:30 AM »
It was just a added parameter to help list players who would actually be there at #21.

Well since none of us know who will or won't be there we're guessing. Mosley could go top 12 or be there at 21. Nix could be gone in the top 15 or 16 same with Pryor, so in theory all three of your selections could be gone.

CJ Mosley or trade down unless something silly happens like Barr from UCLA slides down.

If I have to take three: CJ Mosley, Ryan Shazier, Kyle Van Noy
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 07:18:04 AM by golfman »
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline BTIdaho

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 07:57:48 AM »
1. Ryan Shazier - no more wide open flats where opposing running backs and quarterbacks are eventually tackled, or not, 20 yards down the field.

2. Kelvin Benjamin - I like the idea of giving the Bears and Lions a taste of their own medicine. 

3. Jason Verrett - I am not sure if he starts right away, but he will see the field right a lot.

Offline Starr2Max

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 08:35:08 AM »
I have been thinking lately that TT is more likely to trade back in round 1 - even if Mosely is on the board.  I think that the ghost of Justin Harrell still lingers, along with the Packers injury history the last few years.  I think that is why TT didn't go for Lacey in the first, even though he was a first round talent at a position of need, and instead  pick him up in the second round when the impact of an injury threatened career is less.  I think that TT will try to trade back - to early in the second - and pick whoever is left out of Nix, Shazier, Hageman, Ward and possible Mosely if he falls this far.  My inclination is to go with Hageman.  I think that the signing of Raji for essentially a one year deal will give Hagemen a year to learn the NT position at the pro level.    twocents)

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 10:25:47 AM »
Well since none of us know who will or won't be there we're guessing. Mosley could go top 12 or be there at 21. Nix could be gone in the top 15 or 16 same with Pryor, so in theory all three of your selections could be gone.

As pointed out in the original post.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:27:23 AM by The GM »

Offline packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 10:42:28 AM »
I'd love to say Mosley. ..but your premise is that I lose my job if players I push for are gone, and I think Mosley will be long gone.   So therefore I push for these guys:

1.  D. Dennard - smash mouth CB with a chip on his shoulder. Frees up Hyde to move inside.

2.  K. Benjamin - needs some polish but oh that size.

3.  K. Van Noy -  a reach?  Not in my book. He can play multiple positions and that's one quality MM mentioned about the defense moving forward.

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 01:34:49 PM »
C.J. Mosley, Odell Beckham Jr., Eric Ebron

Wishful thinking pick- Justin Gilbert

My alternates- Ha Ha Clinton -Dix, Marqise Lee, Calvin Pryor, Louis Nix, Kyle Van Noy

Mosley brings an athletic sideline to sideline MLB that we have been sorrily lacking. He makes B. Jones and expendable and teams well with Hawk. My only concern is his injured knee.

Beckham Jr I'm just really starting to like now. I like how he plays. He's a like Cobb/ Greg Jennings combo. Has a lot of the traits that the Pack looks for in a receiver and you cant dismiss the fact that the Packers have lost 2 "starting" WRs and likely their starting TE in the past two seasons. We have to re-stock the cupboard. Would be the return man and #4 WR from day 1. A lot like what Cobb was as a rookie.

Ebron's pick would likely seal Finley's fate as a Packer. He's a rare athlete that can create mistatches. Probably unlikely to be there at 21. The diva personality rumors don't thrill me, but Finley was a diva too.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 01:58:49 PM by JPPlaya »

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 03:03:17 PM »
Kyle fuller - most have him going earlier and I think he fills a need one year earlywith Twill in his final year.   Verrett and Roby are just as likely I think.

Shazier - I like the idea of speed in the middle on all 3 downs.  Sounds like he doesn't lack in pass rush or toughness either.   

Mosley - I just don't see  how 20 other teams would pass on him. 

Disappointed if the pick would be hageman, Nix, or Dee Ford.  Too deep of a draft to reach for guys with red flags. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 02:06:28 PM »
1.) CJ Mosley - Probably the best "fit" for us in the 1st round. I think he'd make a fantastic complement to AJ Hawk.

2.) HaSean Clinton-Dix - I keep reading about how Pryor and Clinton-Dix will be gone before #21, but when I look at game vids, I just don't see it. I think it's possible that neither one goes in the Top 16. That being said, I think HaHa gives us a much better option as a "centerfielder" type safety than we've had the last few seasons. Instant upgrade with a fairly high ceiling.

3.) Ra'shede Hageman - It's hard to know how things with the D-Line are going to pan out, so if other options aren't there and there are no trade partners, then I think TT could go with another D-Lineman in the first. (Maybe Louis Nix is in play here?)