March 25, 2019, 04:50:01 PM

Author Topic: Derek Carr  (Read 1754 times)

Offline adromick

• Rookie
Derek Carr
« on: May 07, 2014, 12:58:00 AM »
I'm curious what others think of Derek Carr.  Hypothetically speaking, Carr falls to the 3rd round; would anybody be upset if he were selected by GB? Rodgers will be 31 this year and the same grooming could be done with Carr.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Derek Carr
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 01:22:43 AM »
The only way I see him falling that far is either that he failed drugs tests (and I don't mean mariajuana), has an undisclosed injury that is a worry going forward, or there is some serious character concern that is not yet public knowledge.

For the reasons above, I don't like the pick, even in round three.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

50PoundHead

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 06:16:13 AM »
The only way I see him falling that far is either that he failed drugs tests (and I don't mean mariajuana), has an undisclosed injury that is a worry going forward, or there is some serious character concern that is not yet public knowledge.

For the reasons above, I don't like the pick, even in round three.

Agree.

I think where Carr could play a part in Packer draft plans is if someone behind us wants to move up to get him.  There are a ton of teams who may forego a QB in the early first that may want to move up in the late first to get either a sliding Bridgewater (if you believe some writers) or Carr. 

But he won't be there in the 3rd.

Offline emc2feld

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 08:46:12 AM »
I'm curious what others think of Derek Carr.  Hypothetically speaking, Carr falls to the 3rd round; would anybody be upset if he were selected by GB? Rodgers will be 31 this year and the same grooming could be done with Carr.

"Hypothetically speaking," I would be ecstatic if he were selected.  He would easily be BPA at this point (barring another hypothetical slide by a guy like Pryor).  I think Carr is the 2nd best QB in this draft (behind Bortles).  Manziel I'd stay away from...reminds me of Doug Flutie, which is good, but has a terrible attitude.

The only reason I'd have a problem with this is that I'd rather see a guy like Aaron Murray taken a round later.  If coached-up, I think he could end up being even better than Carr, but the injury is a concern.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:22:10 AM »

I think where Carr could play a part in Packer draft plans is if someone behind us wants to move up to get him.  There are a ton of teams who may forego a QB in the early first that may want to move up in the late first to get either a sliding Bridgewater (if you believe some writers) or Carr. 

But he won't be there in the 3rd.
[/quote]

This is a scenario I think could unfold Thursday. Cleveland finds themselves able to get a stud WR or LB or DL or OL or someone to help their QB, and they trade down to #21 to draft Carr or someone else who has slipped. So, the Packers would then draft at #26 (I believe), and get another pick- even Cleveland's third rounder would be great. I think this realistically happens, because quite simply, Cleveland players seem to be getting increasingly unhappy about playing for a loser. Unless GB is really in love with whoever they could get a #21.

I still think the QB's will not be flying off the board, because, quite simply, I'm not all that impressed with this year's crop. Same with safeties. Caveat emptor.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 11:05:21 AM »
If Cleveland trades from #26 to #21, who will they be jumping past for a QB? Kansas City?

Offline Big Lou

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 02:09:02 PM »
If Cleveland trades from #26 to #21, who will they be jumping past for a QB? Kansas City?

They would be protecting themselves against a team that also skipped out on drafting a QB early from trading back into the first round and leapfrogging them at #26.  If Cleveland loves the guy that's there at #21, I can see them moving up the five spots to ensure they get him.  But if Cleveland doesn't pull the trigger, it opens up the possibility that GB trades back out of the first round altogether with a team like HOU, JAX, OAK, etc. jumping up to take a QB.