July 23, 2019, 03:42:32 PM

Author Topic: "Their ball skills are all remarkable." (re: Adams and other 2nd round WRs)  (Read 5230 times)

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
That was the White Buffalo's reply tonight during his press conference when asked if there was a certain quality that all of the receivers he's drafted in the second round possess--Jennings, Nelson, and Cobb in the past, and Adams tonight.

"That's first and foremost thing that we look for," he said referring to ball skills.

Many scouting reports singled out Devante Adams for his ball skills, but many ranked Jarvis Landry the best in this area.  I'm wondering, then:  what made Adams the more attractive prospect given both were available?

The White Buffalo went on to say that other attributes he admires are "being good people and good teammates."  In reference to Adams, he said, "That's what he's supposed to be too."

This doesn't suggest that Landry isn't "good people" or a "good teammate," but the question remains:  why Adams over Landry--or Latimer or Robinson, both of whom were drafted within the next seven picks?

In asking this question, I'm not being critical of the pick.  Rather, I'm wondering (1) why do you think Thompson selected Adams over the other WRs taken later in Round 2, and (2) would you have preferred another WR instead of Adams?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:59:06 PM by big ror »
"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
As a freshman:
102 rec, 1312 yards, 14 TDs

As a sophmore:
131 rec, 1718 yards, 24 TDs

IMHO, with a deep guy in Nelson, one of the best slot receivers in the league in Cobb, and a very capable 3rd WR in Boykin - why not take a shot on the most productive WR in the draft?

To me this reminds me of the Jordy pick.  Everyone was questioning TT's reasoning but Jordy had 122 (or so) catches if I remember right and TT was sure that putting that production with a capable QB and NFL coaching would lead to success and obviously it did.

Watching Adams' highlight reel, there's a lot to be concerned about - small school, doesn't have the best speed, spread offense, etc. - but his ball skills are obvious and to put up those numbers in college requires at least a decent football IQ and ability to play the game.

With the depth at WR this year I think you could make the case for about 4 or 5 other WR's at that pick, but if there's one thing I'll trust TT on it would be his 2nd round WR's.

Couldn't be more happy with the pick and I look forward to years of production from the Rodgers to Adams combo

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
Couldn't be more happy with the pick and I look forward to years of production from the Rodgers to Adams combo

That's another word the White Buffalo mentioned a few times:  production, production, production.  Adams certainly had it.

Also, I'm glad you mentioned speed, as Adams (31st amongst WRs), Landry (43rd), and Robinson (35th) aren't considered burners.  Then again, neither were Jordy and Jennings, and they did just fine.

Adams' strength, it seems, is his ball skills.  He does a great job of going up and getting the ball, a benefit of his fantastic vertical.  That's his basketball background coming in, knowing how to high-point.  He also looks pretty good in space.  In fact, he does remind me a lot of Jones, Jordy, and Jennings in different ways. 

The White Buffalo surely seems to have a "type."

That said, part of me is really convinced that Thompson would have drafted Cooks at 21 if the Saints didn't trade up and snag him.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 12:14:07 AM by big ror »

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
He's got more than production. He's got the ability to make plays after the catch and produce that way. He's a powerful runner who gets north and south quickly, makes people miss, breaks tackles etc. He's even got some decent tape of him blocking the perimeter. In the interview Perry touches on him being a complete football player with a love and passion for the game. He and Clinton Dix makes this draft at least tolerable.

Adams and Jordan Matthews were neck and neck in my grading. Either one would have been great, but Adams is better at creating separation and giving windows for his QB to throw to so my nod goes to him. He and Rodgers should fit together nicely along with the rest of the locker room.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:13:25 AM by claymaker »

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member

Watching Adams' highlight reel, there's a lot to be concerned about - small school, doesn't have the best speed, spread offense, etc. - but his ball skills are obvious and to put up those numbers in college requires at least a decent football IQ and ability to play the game.

People need to stop bringing out "small school" as a concern. Where you went to school has no bearing on how you do in the NFL. Just ask Greg Jennings and Donald Driver. Both went to SMALLER schools than Adams did.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
Well all TT's politics aside..... you don't catch 130+passes and 24 TD's from a QB who isn't the greatest while being a slouch. The guy has some good skills and his film showed something he really does well, and that's make the defenders earn their tackles. Something I hope he bring to the next level.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
For me, his production combined with the (reported) ability to create separation is what set Adams apart from the other WR’s on the board.  GB badly needs a WR who can create some quick space vs CB’s playing press at the LOS.  It's great that Rodgers can make those crazy accurate throws, but it would be nice to see a WR create a bigger window from time to time.

Latimer was the better vertical threat, and is probably the guy I would have preferred, but I have no issues with Adams being the guy.  Adams looks very much like J-Jones with a little more speed.  He also has some of the best hands in the draft.  Adams isn't coming from an NFL style offense, so he'll need some time to learn the NFL route tree.  Once he does, GB should have a very formidable trio of WR's in Jordy, Cobb and Adams.  Having Boykin at WR4 will be gravy.

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
you don't catch 130+passes and 24 TD's from a QB who isn't the greatest while being a slouch.

Not sure what you mean about the QB.  His QB was Derek Carr.

50PoundHead

I'm not in a position to make these decisions--for which all of you should be very thankful--and I would have been sorely tempted to take Latimer.  The thing about Latimer though, is that he just shot up the boards relatively late.  A lot of folks questioned his decision to declare for the draft.  Having watched Latimer a few times this past season, one can see the raw talent.

All that said, I like the Adams pick as well.  Lots of skill to go with the physical tools.  I don't know if Latimer is there with the skill part of the game yet.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
you don't catch 130+passes and 24 TD's from a QB who isn't the greatest while being a slouch.

Not sure what you mean about the QB.  His QB was Derek Carr.

I was thinking the same... maybe will not be good NFL QB, but definitely a good college QB to have throwing to you.

Online craig

• HOF Member
Adams sounds terrific.  This was the year of the zillion talented receivers.  Don't know how he'll compare to the other ones, but he sounds like he could be very, very good.  Sounds like a good all-around guy, strong, YAC, blocking.  What do I know, but I'm very optimistic that he'll be the guy they scouted him to be.  Good hands are huge, scores are routinely lost by contested 3rd-down passes not caught. 

I very much thought a good receiver should be a draft priority, and getting a gifted guy in the 2nd round seems really fun to me.  Having an offense that can score more consistently, and can make first downs more regularly, is very desirable. 

Adams could be a nice 4th receiver this year, for some games where they call sets with 4.  He can be a nice option if one of the front three get injured.  and a year out the prospect of having him 3rd and Boykin 4th, that would seem to be very promising.  Tough on defense when the 3rd and 4th guys are very professional pass catchers, and guys who know how to find seams.

Not a burner, and I'd have loved a big guy with deep burner stretch-the-defense speed.  Still, a lot of long completions are not simply outrunning a guy, but getting a 1-on-1 and getting a step somehow. 

Scouting kind of dismissed a lot of his catch-volume because he caught a lot of bubble-screens.  But on the plus side, it's seemed MM has called a lot of quick WR screens in recent years, get those quick 4-6 yard gains.  I like those, so if Adams is good at catching those, and is a strong hard-to-tackle guy, maybe he can set up a lot of 2nd-and-4 series.  (If we had a RB who gained 6 ypc on 1st downs, we'd love it.)  I think that kind of play can also help keep the defenses from jamming up Lacy excessively.  And I suppose if you throw 3-4 of those, maybe the corner comes in tighter and perhaps it sets up a fake-and-burn go route that goes for long gain?  Whatever, it's just fun to think of new opportunities for the offense to become more potent.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
Unsure why they selected Adams over others... but if definitely appears to be in the mold of James Jones (maybe better hands) IMO.  I think this is a good "safe" pick.... not the most upside, but IMO will be good productive WR in NFL.

Here is writeup from CBS site.. they thought the same before the draft (with James Jones comparison).

STRENGTHS: Broad-shouldered and well-built wideout who consistently wins at the catch-point, demonstrating good leaping ability, timing and hand-eye coordination. Tracks the ball well over either shoulder and has strong hands to pluck the ball when turned towards the quarterback. Quickly corrals the pass and wastes no time in getting upfield, showing vision to set up blocks as well as strength to run through arm tackles and a nice stutter-step to elude.
Deceptive straight-line speed to challenge deep and shows good balance and overall body control to gain separation on comeback and out routes. Good strength and courage to take passes over the middle and isn't afraid of running through traffic. Alert blocker.

WEAKNESSES: Lacks the elite speed that his gaudy production indicates. Possesses normal acceleration and tops out quickly. Occasionally will allow the ball to swing away from his frame as he attempts to fight for extra yardage, which can result in forced fumbles.

Cognizant blocker downfield but isn't nearly as physical in this area as he is when fighting through would-be tacklers. Production was certainly inflated by Fresno State's spread offense and because he is the favorite target of highly regarded quarterback, Derek Carr.

Compares To: James Jones, Packers - Like the former San Jose State standout, Adams' eye-popping numbers have come against questionable competition. However, his similar build, deceptive vertical speed and strong hands at the catch-point should help Adams emerge as a big-play candidate in the NFL.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:30:20 AM by Hincha »

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
West Coast receiver. 

Landry probably fits that as well - Lattimore and Robinson not so much.  He's going to catch a lot of 4-5 yard passes.  Hopefully he can turn those into 10 - 12 yard gains.  I love his arm length and vertical.  He should be a decent deep threat just because he's so good at high-pointing the ball.  You don't need to be 6'4" when you have a 40" vertical and long arms. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Also, I'm glad you mentioned speed, as Adams (31st amongst WRs), Landry (43rd), and Robinson (35th) aren't considered burners.  Then again, neither were Jordy and Jennings, and they did just fine.

I believe there are multiple ways to get open. Size is one, getting above/outreaching the defender. Speed is another. Out-thinking your opponent is a third way and out-muscling him is a fourth. Davonte can win now by outmuscling an opponent, but needs to add more to his repertoire in out-thinking one.  He also needs to sharpen his route-running. There were bigger guys on the board when he was taken and much faster ones too, but what must have sold Ted was his production at college, which was excellent. He can block too, which the Packers look at closely.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
McCarthy:  The main attribute?  I mean, it never comes down to one thing, but I think we've consistently done a very good of job of making sure they're natural catchers.  You got to be able to catch the football.  When I'm looking at quarterbacks and skill position, I think in November and December, in Green Bay, Wisconsin, you know, we're not just trying to win a bunch of games, we're here to win championships.  You're going to play in cold weather games every year.  So, you know, that's something I personally pay a lot of attention to.