July 16, 2019, 03:37:10 PM

Author Topic: 2011 Draft  (Read 3536 times)

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
2011 Draft
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:24:05 PM »
People say you can't grade a draft for at least 3 years, so I decided to take a look at 2011. The packers draft for 2009 and 2010 seem quite good. But 2011 was a stinker:

April 28-30, 2011; Drafted 32nd

32. Derek Sherrod, tackle, Mississippi State.
64. Randall Cobb, wide receiver, Kentucky.
96. Alex Green, running back, Hawaii.
131. Davon House, cornerback, New Mexico State.
141. D.J. Williams, tight end, Arkansas.
179. Caleb Schlauderaff, guard, Utah.
186. D.J. Smith, linebacker, Appalachian State.
197. Ricky Elmore, linebacker, Arizona.
218. Ryan Taylor, special teamer, North Carolina.
233. Lawrence Guy, defensive end, Arizona State.

And here are some grades I dug up:

Fox Sports

Green Bay Packers: A-
Analysis: General manager Ted Thompson is the best at what he does because he always drafts for value. He got at least three future starters out of this draft despite drafting in back of every round.

Rotoworld

Green Bay Packers: A

Overview: G.M. Ted Thompson killed it, as usual. All five of his rounds one through five picks brought value, and at least four fit into positions that needed depth. Sherrod will be a starter by year two. Cobb is incredibly versatile with some Percy Harvin to his game. Green is highly underrated. House has the size-speed combo of a starter. Williams is "move" tight end insurance in case Jermichael Finley leaves in 2012 free agency. Don't be shocked if Guy or Elmore develops into a major contributor. Taylor was UNC's special teams captain in 2008 and 2010.

CBS Sports

Green Bay Packers: B+

Best pick: Second-round pick Randall Cobb is a perfect Green Bay player. He will fit their pass offense perfectly and take over for James Jones, who might leave.
Questionable move: Hard to find any. But -- and this is being nit-picky -- maybe not taking a rush linebacker in the first three rounds could be it.
Third-day gem: Sixth-round pick Ricky Elmore is a nice pass rusher who will play outside linebacker in their 3-4. I really like this pick.
Analysis: The rich get richer. Ted Thompson is one of the best at stocking his roster. First-round pick Derek Sherrod will take over at left tackle in a year or two and Cobb can be eased into the passing game.

National Football Post

Green Bay Packers: A-

When you’re able to get a starting caliber left tackle with the last pick in round one, all in all it’s a good draft. OT Derek Sherrod has the ability to anchor the blindside and in my mind looks like a very good starting tackle at the next level. I’m still not big on RB Alex Green and thought he was a bit of a reach. However, the Packers got great value in TE D.J. Williams, DL Lawrence Guy and OLB Ricky Elmore and once again it looks like a very good draft top to bottom for the Packers.

Pro Football Weekly

Green Bay Packers: B-
Packers GM Ted Thompson is one of the most underrated evaluators in the league, quietly spending as much time on the scouting trails as any other GM. He has a very good feel for identifying value throughout the draft and identifying scheme fits, which he masterfully plucked throughout the draft. His top two picks, OT Derek Sherrod and WR Randall Cobb, were both very safe selections that filled positions of need but also brought value. RB Alex Green might have been drafted early, but he fits Mike McCarthy's ground game very well. New Mexico State CB Davon House has the raw physical traits to be molded and fits Dom Capers' defense very well. Thompson made several trades from Rounds 5-7, and landed six character players with developmental potential in TE D.J. Williams, OG Caleb Schlauderaff, LB D.J. Smith, DE Ricky Elmore, TE Ryan Taylor and DE Lawrence Guy. Drafting at the bottom of the round might make it more difficult for this class to have heavy impact on a deep roster, but Thompson sought talent that could fill niche roles and drafted very well in the first two rounds.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
Re: 2011 Draft
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 11:06:44 PM »
Where are they getting those A grades from? Cobb being the only notable name from that list it's hard to even give them a B.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 05:26:29 AM »
Where are they getting those A grades from? Cobb being the only notable name from that list it's hard to even give them a B.

I believe the grades being given were assigned to draft hours after the draft was completed. In hind sight, we can see the draft was not that good- though three of the choices are still on the roster. Thats the problem with "instant analysis"- way too often, it looks pretty foolish when viewed years later. After all, FDR was considered a political/intellectual lightweight when elected.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Zyvlyn

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 08:10:28 AM »
I remember that draft.  I was a huge fan of the first three picks.  I thought all three would quickly become major contributors.  Well, at least I was right on one of them...  :)

I also remember being surprised that Guy fell so far, but it makes sense in hindsight.

I still hold out hope that House can become an asset.

50PoundHead

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 10:36:17 AM »
This is why grading drafts is an exercise in futility.  Sherrod looked like a solid pick until his leg was almost broken in two.  Alex Green showed some shake until he got hurt.  I could never quite understand the excitement about D.J. Williams.  I still have some hope for House. 

But anyway, it is important to note that everyone drafted with the exception of Ricky Elmore was active on an NFL roster for at least part of the 2013 season.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 01:24:01 PM »
Well, Cobb was an excellent pick and Green and Sherrod got hurt. DJ Smith filled in nice and he got hurt.

The real question is if the Packers can sustain their winning ways just through the draft. I mean, if we have 2-3 bad drafts in a row and we continue to ignore Free Agency, I don't think we'll have much success getting to the big dance.

Also, I hate losing to the 49ers. We really need to make some adjustments to get past them and beat them regularly. Do THAT before we even talk Super Bowl.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline Favre2Rodgers

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 03:50:53 PM »
In 2011 UDFA we also signed M.D. Jennings and Jamari Lattimore.  Might not be world beaters but they made the roster and had playing time.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 03:53:50 PM »
Well, Cobb was an excellent pick and Green and Sherrod got hurt. DJ Smith filled in nice and he got hurt.

The real question is if the Packers can sustain their winning ways just through the draft. I mean, if we have 2-3 bad drafts in a row and we continue to ignore Free Agency, I don't think we'll have much success getting to the big dance.

Also, I hate losing to the 49ers. We really need to make some adjustments to get past them and beat them regularly. Do THAT before we even talk Super Bowl.
They don't have to beat the 49ers regularly to win a Super Bowl.  Give me a break.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 04:14:44 PM »

Other than Cobb who is elite type talent IMO, 2011 draft major disappointment.  I would give it a "C-" at best with Cobb keeping it from failing grade.

2012 is decent - Hayward and Daniels are players.  Perry I think is good, may not have lived up to 1st round, but he is starting caliber player in NFL.  If Worthy can come around this year after losing last year, I would consider 2012 a good draft.  Right now would give it a "B-" with potential for B/B+ depending how Hayward/Worthy come back from injury and if Perry takes step with what I assume is new role.

2013 I already think is lining up as a good draft.  Lacy alone and his impact on team makes this draft a good one, this team became more physical on offense thanks to him.  Bakhtiari played admirably at tackle and Hyde and Boyd added reps to defense.  Hopefully Jones takes step in 2nd year as some suspect and maybe Franklin and Tretter get their chance this year.  Currently I would give this draft a "B"...  this draft can easily become an "A" with some improvement out of Bakhtiari and/or D. Jones taking big steps and locking down their positions or could still be "A" if some of the others become consistent starters/role players (Boyd, Tretter, Franklin).  Mulumba and Palmer intrigued me last year as good depth players.  To me this draft has great potential going forward.

I do not see where Packers have had 2-3 drafts in a row.  Packers have had several years (exception 2011) of bad injuries to team in a row.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 06:06:27 PM »

They don't have to beat the 49ers regularly to win a Super Bowl.  Give me a break.

Seeing that the 49ers have beat us in the last 2 playoffs and they have built what is one of the 2 or 3 best teams in the NFL it is pretty safe to say we're likely going to have to get through them to win a Super Bowl.  With San Fran's front office and coaching staff they aren't going anywhere any time soon.  Their going to be a pain in everyone's side in the NFC.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline COPackers20

• Rookie
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
We as fans have to remember that if you can get 3 starters, or major contributors, out of a draft, you're in the top quarter GM's. If you can get one superstar, especially in the second round, it's a good draft. Looking at the 2011 draft, it's a draft of "What-if's". What if Sharrod didn't break his leg? What if Green didn't tear his ACL? What surprises me is how high these graders were on Elmore who was a 7th round pick(??), haha. I was very high on Williams, and very wrong.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 11:23:00 PM »
Thats ugly.  7 of those players either underachieved or brought nothing to the Pack.  I didn't count Sherrod who's career may have been effected by injury.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 09:17:59 AM »

Seeing that the 49ers have beat us in the last 2 playoffs and they have built what is one of the 2 or 3 best teams in the NFL it is pretty safe to say we're likely going to have to get through them to win a Super Bowl.  With San Fran's front office and coaching staff they aren't going anywhere any time soon.  Their going to be a pain in everyone's side in the NFC.

I'd agree with "They don't have to beat the 49ers regularly to win a Super Bowl.  Give me a break."

Something tells me the Packers brass isn't too worried about structuring their team or game-planning for a team they MIGHT face 17-18 games from now - assuming both teams a] make the playoffs and b] the 49ers don't lose early in the playoffs like our 15-1 Packers squad did

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 09:25:48 AM »
..Other than Cobb who is elite type talent IMO, 2011 draft major disappointment.  I would give it a "C-" at best with Cobb keeping it from failing grade.

2012 is decent - Hayward and Daniels are players.  Perry I think is good, may not have lived up to 1st round, but he is starting caliber player in NFL.  If Worthy can come around this year after losing last year, I would consider 2012 a good draft.  Right now would give it a "B-" with potential for B/B+ depending how Hayward/Worthy come back from injury and if Perry takes step with what I assume is new role.

2013 I already think is lining up as a good draft.  Lacy alone and his impact on team makes this draft a good one, this team became more physical on offense thanks to him.  Bakhtiari played admirably at tackle and Hyde and Boyd added reps to defense.  Hopefully Jones takes step in 2nd year as some suspect and maybe Franklin and Tretter get their chance this year.  Currently I would give this draft a "B"...  this draft can easily become an "A" with some improvement out of Bakhtiari and/or D. Jones taking big steps and locking down their positions or could still be "A" if some of the others become consistent starters/role players (Boyd, Tretter, Franklin).  Mulumba and Palmer intrigued me last year as good depth players.  To me this draft has great potential going forward.

I do not see where Packers have had 2-3 drafts in a row.  Packers have had several years (exception 2011) of bad injuries to team in a row.

Well said. 
2011 has worked out very poorly, although given the injuries it wasn't necessary a dumb draft. 
2012 is decent, but could become good.  And again, if it falls as less than good due to injuries, that's not necessarily a failure in evaluation. 
2013 looks good already, and could become fantastic if Jones and/or Tretter work out well. 

Offline be_here_now

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 11:05:59 AM »
other than Cobb, that was a pretty stinky draft for us, injuries notwithstanding.

i'm with those who still hold out hope for House, but he's been maddeningly inconsistent.  he might be a guy who never can put it all together.

since we're playing the hindsight game, i took a look at the overall 2011 draft.  it was very top-heavy, with a spectacular top 11 (cutting off at the Vikings' pick, naturally).  after pick 24, it gets pretty ugly other than Wilkerson, who would have been a huge help for us if he would have dropped a little further.

the second round was pants too.  in fact, i'd argue that the best players available at our pick at 32 were Cobb, Kapernick, and Justin Houston (who lasted until the early 3rd).