July 15, 2019, 06:57:41 PM

Author Topic: 2014 rookie expectations  (Read 13596 times)

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
2014 rookie expectations
« on: May 19, 2014, 04:46:41 PM »
I also believe that not only did Thompson acquire the BAP he also drafted them with the idea that their team has room for them on gameday. I think we could see a lot of these rookies playing early on for GB. I think we will see as many as 6 or 7, which would be pretty good.

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix: I expect to see him starting day one and being a good communicator who picked up the pro game quickly, and just keep getting better and playing faster as the year goes on. Adding Peppers, plus a healthy Clay Matthews or defense in general should provide him the opportunities to get some INTs.

Davante Adams: I expect him and Rodgers to be better than he and Jones ever were. Adams is a more powerful but slower version of Randall Cobb. He has some very nice open field elusiveness and fearlessness. Very much reminds me of Jerry Rice like that. I think we could see him grab as many as 12 TDs his first year. Draftniks are thinking too hard find this draft's gem when it's easy to see why Rodgers>Adams is a great match, and he'll be in consideration for rookie of the year if he plays like I expect him to.

Khyri Throton: I expect him to be redshirted for a year. They have a lot of talent from previous drafts here and he could use more time to develop.

Richard Rodgers: I expect him to work hard and become a good core special teams player. Get better at blocking and try to become more explosive on the field.

Carl Bradford: I expect to see a lot out of Bradford early and throughout. He's got playmaking ability and I was very surprised to see him in the 4th round. He plays like Chris Borland and has better athleticism. He should bring good competition to the LBs in general, but I think his fit is going to be ILB.

Corey Linsley: I fully expect him to compete for the starting Center job, and there's a good chance he could win it. A lot will depend on his ability to learn the playbook and do what is asked of him in the offense. This pick could turn out great for them if wins it.

Jared Abbrederis: I expect him to be a productive receiver who moves around a lot and hopefully become a good returner.

Demetri Goodson: I expect him to make the 53 and be their 5th CB ahead of Bush.

Jeff Janis: I expect him to be a core special teams player day one based off his athleticism. He should make them better on special teams. I also expect him to get some balls thrown his way. GB will definitely keep 6 WRs this year and it makes sense to keep him because of special teams.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
Re: 2014 rookie expectations
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 05:40:02 PM »
Good post. You seem a lot more optimistic than you did on draft day(s)... or should I be reading more into your signature?  ;)

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 05:51:44 PM »
Good post. You seem a lot more optimistic than you did on draft day(s)... or should I be reading more into your signature?  ;)

No the only pick I didn't like at the time was Rodgers. I also didn't think gems like Bradford, Abbrederis, Janis, and even Linsley would be available to them. I thought them reaching for Rodgers screwed their whole draft up. They made up for it by drafting the BAP and finding ways to meet that player with a need. They found a lot of solid players with starting potential in every round except maybe the third. I'm not sure either Thorton or Rodgers will ever be more than a role/rotational player.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 06:15:20 PM »
You seem a lot more optimistic than you did on draft day(s)...

I was going to say, when did this happen?  :)

Hoping for the best with all the rooks.  Clinton should be playing near Burnett's level from day one and has a great chance to develop.  TT always knocks it out of the park on 2nd round WR's, so I'm just going to assume Adams will be a beast as he grows. 

After that I just have my fingers crossed.  Loved the Abbrederis pick, he looks like a much better football player than any of the 3-7 round picks IMO (and I'm not a Wisconsin native or UW fan, just thought his film looked really polished).  Janis looks amazing on film, but then again being decently sized and running a 4.3 vs division two schools isn't quite the same as doing it against the SEC or such.  Dont really know anything about Goodson so I won't pretend to have any thoughts there.

Was definitely confused on the 3-4 round picks.  Thornton was seemingly a bit higher on the packers board than other teams so hopefully he develops well, that being said though even the Mike Daniels of our team didn't really do too much until closer to year 3 (aka starting to show signs in year 2, not much during rookie year) so I don't know how much we can expect.  Rodgers has some potential on tape, but he seems like a poor mans Lyerla so why spend a 3rd rounder there if you were open to the idea of picking Lyerla?  I get that we needed some insurance if it didn't work out with Colt and we didn't get to bring Finley back, but it seemed like a pretty big reach there.  All in all though, I think he's a decent prospect and I was fairly happy watching some of the tape on him. 

And lastly, Bradford plays in Phoenix where I live so I've seen him a few times, good player and all, but I fully expected he would be moved to the middle and it sounds like that's not the current plan.  With Perry, Matthews, and Neal all having fairly substantial injury filled pasts, I'm all for building up the depth at OLB, but with Peppers in town as well that's an awful lot of players to try and get on the field.  But I'd rather have depth than not having depth, that's for sure.

In terms of actual expectations, the only one I would expect major contributions from is Clinton-Dix, and possibly Lyerla if he makes the roster and has a shot at playing.  Not trying to start the Lyerla debate but there's a pretty open shot at the starting TE position if Finley isn't re-signed.  Love Adams and Abbrederis, but not sure where all those stats would come from with Nelson/Cobb/Boykin being the leading targets and Lacy chewing up a bit of the clock.  If Jared can win the return job that would be a nice way to get him some extra PT b/c it will be tough to get too much experience as the 5th WR

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 08:09:19 PM »
And lastly, Bradford plays in Phoenix where I live so I've seen him a few times, good player and all, but I fully expected he would be moved to the middle and it sounds like that's not the current plan.  With Perry, Matthews, and Neal all having fairly substantial injury filled pasts, I'm all for building up the depth at OLB, but with Peppers in town as well that's an awful lot of players to try and get on the field.  But I'd rather have depth than not having depth, that's for sure.

In terms of actual expectations, the only one I would expect major contributions from is Clinton-Dix, and possibly Lyerla if he makes the roster and has a shot at playing.  Not trying to start the Lyerla debate but there's a pretty open shot at the starting TE position if Finley isn't re-signed.  Love Adams and Abbrederis, but not sure where all those stats would come from with Nelson/Cobb/Boykin being the leading targets and Lacy chewing up a bit of the clock.  If Jared can win the return job that would be a nice way to get him some extra PT b/c it will be tough to get too much experience as the 5th WR

Green Bay cross trains at every level of their team. Most of their LBs are versatile enough to play inside and outside. Brad Jones was originally an OLB but was moved inside. He was even a decent pass rusher with 8.5 sacks one year. Since Winston Moss has taken over the LBs altogether and they will be in the same room watching the same film. I expect him to be integrated at ILB rather quickly. We should be seeing him in nickel and dime packages. That being said, I believe he is being tried at OLB to see if he can become a pass rusher opposite Matthews.

Rule number 1: You don't move a pass rusher inside. Better to find out if he's a pass rusher first than just sticking him in the middle to tackle and cover things.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:11:08 PM by claymaker »

Offline backthepack4ever

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 04:47:52 AM »
high expections. 

I normally dont like the idea of a rookie starting.  more times than not if a rookie is starting, its an area of weakness. 

that said I like this group and can see some nice things from a few of them.  Haha is the only one i see that will be forced on the field right away, but its hard to believe he will be a downgrade to the trash we fielded in the back last yr.

Adams will be a 3/4th wr and in that roll he should be just fine.  We dont need to force him on the field and going against nickle and dime cbs, he should be successfull.  look with AR and the way we spread the ball around most wrs would do good in our system.  no way i see 12 tds but hey i wouldnt be against it. 

after that the rest will be in limited rolls unless injuries.... knock on wood.  I like Bradford but he isnt beating out perry or either ILB this season.  He might get some snaps but not starting over any of these guys. 

Abby needs a yr to get stronger.  I dont think he will be our KR guy.  I love him and his stroy from walk on to NFL but he needs to get stronger.  He looked tiny last weekend

I think Janis might be PS bound along with Goodson

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 07:17:59 AM »
I don't expect any of them to start except Ha Ha and Adams. Adams will definitely be catching at least 50 balls this year. Boykin is good WR but Adams has special qualities about him. 12 TDs for him are the most I can see him getting. A realistic number would be 6-8. He is such a perfect fit for this offense it's nuts. I cannot wait to see him in the open field.

Janis is playing on the 53 you can count on that. They drafted him specifically for special teams. He's a hard worker and a good mind for the game and he's a perfect fit for any team's special teams. He makes the roster based on that. He's much more valuable on the field than on the PS.

Offline Big Lou

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 08:59:21 AM »
I have more tempered expections for Adams, given the current depth at the position (Cobb, Nelson, Boykin) and the previous results of rookie WR's in McCarthy's tenure:

Player - Receptions/Yards/TD's

Jennings ('06) - 45/632/3
Jones ('07) - 47/676/2
Nelson ('08) - 33/366/2
Cobb ('11) - 25/375/1

Given this offense and needing to spread the ball around, I wouldn't expect more from Adams (barring injuries) to catch 40 balls for 500 yards and a couple of scores.  Jennings & Jones were joining a receiver group that was much weaker than what we have now and thus had more opportunities, so I'd actually anticipate something along the lines of what Nelson/Cobb put up rather than Jennings/Jones did in their respective rookie years.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 09:15:14 AM »
No offense to Boykin but Adams is a better WR than him. Better in every way except experience. GB will put their best WRs out on the field, and I believe that to be Nelson, Cobb, and Adams. Was it crazy to think Jones would get 14 TDs? I think he has a ton of potential in this offense. He's a perfect fit for their quick passing game and he plays the deep part of the field very well. He's a WR that knows how to get open and anticipate his moves after the catch, a really rare gift. There were only 3 other WRs I had ahead of him in the draft, and it was a close tie with Beckham. If he was on the board I was hoping he'd be their 2nd round pick and he was just like Cobb. Cobb+Adams are going to end up being their best 2nd round WRs.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 09:50:49 AM »
I have more tempered expections for Adams, given the current depth at the position (Cobb, Nelson, Boykin) and the previous results of rookie WR's in McCarthy's tenure:

Player - Receptions/Yards/TD's

Jennings ('06) - 45/632/3
Jones ('07) - 47/676/2
Nelson ('08) - 33/366/2
Cobb ('11) - 25/375/1

Given this offense and needing to spread the ball around, I wouldn't expect more from Adams (barring injuries) to catch 40 balls for 500 yards and a couple of scores.  Jennings & Jones were joining a receiver group that was much weaker than what we have now and thus had more opportunities, so I'd actually anticipate something along the lines of what Nelson/Cobb put up rather than Jennings/Jones did in their respective rookie years.

Agree, Lou.  I think 350-500 yards for Adams is more realistic.  Especially given all the handoffs they'll give to Lacy again. 

If Adams ends up with >600 yards, I think that will probably be bad news.  That's only feasible if Jordy or Cobb get hurt. 

I like Adams a lot.  But I see the same kind of deal as with Cobb.  Played well when he played.  After his rookie year we were all enthused about him and figured he was ready to become a good primary player his second year.  But Cobb just didn't play enough as rookie to rack up big volume numbers.  That's what I expect from Adams.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 01:21:17 PM »
No offense to Boykin but Adams is a better WR than him. Better in every way except experience. GB will put their best WRs out on the field, and I believe that to be Nelson, Cobb, and Adams. Was it crazy to think Jones would get 14 TDs? I think he has a ton of potential in this offense. He's a perfect fit for their quick passing game and he plays the deep part of the field very well. He's a WR that knows how to get open and anticipate his moves after the catch, a really rare gift. There were only 3 other WRs I had ahead of him in the draft, and it was a close tie with Beckham. If he was on the board I was hoping he'd be their 2nd round pick and he was just like Cobb. Cobb+Adams are going to end up being their best 2nd round WRs.

I think those are fair points, but the experience Boykin has is a great asset for our offense next year.  I'm all on board with the Lyerla hype, but nonetheless we don't have any proven TE on the roster - love Q as a serviceable guy but he's not drawing any defense his way.  So I think it would be much more beneficial for Boykin to be the 3rd WR on the field to make sure we've got three experienced targets on the field in most situations.  Let Adams spend a year getting acclimated to the system, much like Cobb did, and then move him above Boykin next year when he's more versed in the system.  Playing as the #4 WR in a system that throws as much as we do isn't a bad starting spot at all for Adams.

And in regards to your best 2nd round WR's comment, my vote still goes for Jordy

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 02:53:10 PM »
You seem a lot more optimistic than you did on draft day(s)...

I was going to say, when did this happen?  :)

Hoping for the best with all the rooks.  Clinton should be playing near Burnett's level from day one and has a great chance to develop.  TT always knocks it out of the park on 2nd round WR's, so I'm just going to assume Adams will be a beast as he grows. 

After that I just have my fingers crossed.  Loved the Abbrederis pick, he looks like a much better football player than any of the 3-7 round picks IMO (and I'm not a Wisconsin native or UW fan, just thought his film looked really polished).  Janis looks amazing on film, but then again being decently sized and running a 4.3 vs division two schools isn't quite the same as doing it against the SEC or such.  Dont really know anything about Goodson so I won't pretend to have any thoughts there.

Was definitely confused on the 3-4 round picks.  Thornton was seemingly a bit higher on the packers board than other teams so hopefully he develops well, that being said though even the Mike Daniels of our team didn't really do too much until closer to year 3 (aka starting to show signs in year 2, not much during rookie year) so I don't know how much we can expect.  Rodgers has some potential on tape, but he seems like a poor mans Lyerla so why spend a 3rd rounder there if you were open to the idea of picking Lyerla?  I get that we needed some insurance if it didn't work out with Colt and we didn't get to bring Finley back, but it seemed like a pretty big reach there. All in all though, I think he's a decent prospect and I was fairly happy watching some of the tape on him. 

I don't believe that was planned and TEs were flying off the board much earlier than a lot of people anticipated.  I also think the coaching staff really likes Rodgers.  I don't think he is the same caliber of athlete as Lyeria but its hard to argue his ball skills and body control.  They are both great for a guy his size. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 02:56:12 PM »
I also believe that not only did Thompson acquire the BAP he also drafted them with the idea that their team has room for them on gameday. I think we could see a lot of these rookies playing early on for GB. I think we will see as many as 6 or 7, which would be pretty good.

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix: I expect to see him starting day one and being a good communicator who picked up the pro game quickly, and just keep getting better and playing faster as the year goes on. Adding Peppers, plus a healthy Clay Matthews or defense in general should provide him the opportunities to get some INTs.

Davante Adams: I expect him and Rodgers to be better than he and Jones ever were. Adams is a more powerful but slower version of Randall Cobb. He has some very nice open field elusiveness and fearlessness. Very much reminds me of Jerry Rice like that. I think we could see him grab as many as 12 TDs his first year. Draftniks are thinking too hard find this draft's gem when it's easy to see why Rodgers>Adams is a great match, and he'll be in consideration for rookie of the year if he plays like I expect him to.

Khyri Throton: I expect him to be redshirted for a year. They have a lot of talent from previous drafts here and he could use more time to develop.

Richard Rodgers: I expect him to work hard and become a good core special teams player. Get better at blocking and try to become more explosive on the field.

Carl Bradford: I expect to see a lot out of Bradford early and throughout. He's got playmaking ability and I was very surprised to see him in the 4th round. He plays like Chris Borland and has better athleticism. He should bring good competition to the LBs in general, but I think his fit is going to be ILB.

Corey Linsley: I fully expect him to compete for the starting Center job, and there's a good chance he could win it. A lot will depend on his ability to learn the playbook and do what is asked of him in the offense. This pick could turn out great for them if wins it.

Jared Abbrederis: I expect him to be a productive receiver who moves around a lot and hopefully become a good returner.

Demetri Goodson: I expect him to make the 53 and be their 5th CB ahead of Bush.

Jeff Janis: I expect him to be a core special teams player day one based off his athleticism. He should make them better on special teams. I also expect him to get some balls thrown his way. GB will definitely keep 6 WRs this year and it makes sense to keep him because of special teams.

I think that is a ridiculously high number for a guy who will be competing for the #3 WR spot in his best case scenario.  IMO he is far more likely to be battling the other two rookies for the #4 slot.  I think he'll be lucky to find the end zone more than 3 times. 

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 04:10:11 PM »

Based on what?  Adams didn't run a route tree that resembles anything even remotely close to what he'll be required to run in Green Bay.   He was given a very simplistic route tree that consisted of fades, comebacks and screens.  Unless he is an extremely fast learner its going to take a lot to beat out Boykin.  Was it unexpected for Jones to get 14 TDs?  Yeah but a rookie with absolutely no experience running a NFL route tree is a far cry from a 7 year vet that took advantage of a plethora of injuries to the WR core.  If Adams has 12 TDs, our offense is going to be in a lot of trouble as it will be the second year in a row Cobb and Nelson missed a lot of time.

Both Cobb and Adams have a LONG LONG way to go before they are better and more reliable then Jordy Nelson who was is one of the NFL's best receivers (an opinion shared by PFF who had him #2 in the NFL last year).

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 07:09:21 PM »
I don't believe that was planned and TEs were flying off the board much earlier than a lot of people anticipated.  I also think the coaching staff really likes Rodgers.  I don't think he is the same caliber of athlete as Lyeria but its hard to argue his ball skills and body control.  They are both great for a guy his size.

Totally fair.  I was just doing my review in hindsight, so obviously it's a bit unfair of me to say 'this or that' was a reach, but that was just my take on it from a post-draft perspective.

I definitely like the group of TE's so far, not anyone too special (even Lyerla has to be a bit rough at the moment after not playing last year) but I think they all possess a bit of potential so hopefully one or two of them pan out.