July 19, 2019, 05:54:11 PM

Author Topic: 2014 rookie expectations  (Read 13604 times)

Offline get louder at lambeau

• HOF Member
Re: 2014 rookie expectations
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 08:57:28 AM »
It was a good draft. HaHa and Adams will start. That alone makes it a great draft. Two imeadiate starters on a playoff caliber team means a lot more than two picks starting on Cleveland. After that I don't see much. Hopes and dreams but not much more. I thought and think the two 3rd round picks were reaches and won't have an impact any time, certainlynot soon. So if my two for sures and one sleeper come to be, then the draft was wildly successful. 3 impact players/starters is all any GM dreams about.
Why can't Ted Thompson be the MVP of the NFL?

Offline davekenya

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 07:11:42 PM »
You seem a lot more optimistic than you did on draft day(s)...

I was going to say, when did this happen?  :)

Hoping for the best with all the rooks.  Clinton should be playing near Burnett's level from day one and has a great chance to develop.  TT always knocks it out of the park on 2nd round WR's, so I'm just going to assume Adams will be a beast as he grows. 

After that I just have my fingers crossed.  Loved the Abbrederis pick, he looks like a much better football player than any of the 3-7 round picks IMO (and I'm not a Wisconsin native or UW fan, just thought his film looked really polished).  Janis looks amazing on film, but then again being decently sized and running a 4.3 vs division two schools isn't quite the same as doing it against the SEC or such.  Dont really know anything about Goodson so I won't pretend to have any thoughts there.

Was definitely confused on the 3-4 round picks.  Thornton was seemingly a bit higher on the packers board than other teams so hopefully he develops well, that being said though even the Mike Daniels of our team didn't really do too much until closer to year 3 (aka starting to show signs in year 2, not much during rookie year) so I don't know how much we can expect.  Rodgers has some potential on tape, but he seems like a poor mans Lyerla so why spend a 3rd rounder there if you were open to the idea of picking Lyerla?  I get that we needed some insurance if it didn't work out with Colt and we didn't get to bring Finley back, but it seemed like a pretty big reach there.  All in all though, I think he's a decent prospect and I was fairly happy watching some of the tape on him. 

And lastly, Bradford plays in Phoenix where I live so I've seen him a few times, good player and all, but I fully expected he would be moved to the middle and it sounds like that's not the current plan.  With Perry, Matthews, and Neal all having fairly substantial injury filled pasts, I'm all for building up the depth at OLB, but with Peppers in town as well that's an awful lot of players to try and get on the field.  But I'd rather have depth than not having depth, that's for sure.

In terms of actual expectations, the only one I would expect major contributions from is Clinton-Dix, and possibly Lyerla if he makes the roster and has a shot at playing.  Not trying to start the Lyerla debate but there's a pretty open shot at the starting TE position if Finley isn't re-signed.  Love Adams and Abbrederis, but not sure where all those stats would come from with Nelson/Cobb/Boykin being the leading targets and Lacy chewing up a bit of the clock.  If Jared can win the return job that would be a nice way to get him some extra PT b/c it will be tough to get too much experience as the 5th WR

I'm wondering how Finley would fit in anyway.  Both sides would likely want to sign just a one year deal.  We have all these other TEs on the roster.  IF Finley is healthy, you'd only have him for 1 year as he'd price himself out of GB if he played decently; if he didn't play decently, why keep him?  Keeping him takes away a coveted roster spot and for just one year of benefit.  I am aware of MM's comments regarding love for Finley, but from a strategic point of view...just don't see it as an option.  It would just take away opportunity for other TEs to develop and we would unnecessarily lose one.  It'd be different if we had nothing in the cupboard, but we have some options.  Unproven, true, but Finley would be unproven to a degree in 2014 also.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 08:49:31 AM »
..I'm wondering how Finley would fit in anyway.  Both sides would likely want to sign just a one year deal.  We have all these other TEs on the roster.  IF Finley is healthy, you'd only have him for 1 year as he'd price himself out of GB if he played decently; if he didn't play decently, why keep him?  Keeping him takes away a coveted roster spot and for just one year of benefit.  I am aware of MM's comments regarding love for Finley, but from a strategic point of view...just don't see it as an option.  It would just take away opportunity for other TEs to develop and we would unnecessarily lose one.  It'd be different if we had nothing in the cupboard, but we have some options.  Unproven, true, but Finley would be unproven to a degree in 2014 also.

I think Finley fits in perfectly. 
1.  He's an established player in the Packers office, he diversifies the weapons that MM and Rodgers can use, and we're trying to win a SB this year. 
2.  Taylor is just a ST guy.  Bostick had become an integral ST guy, Rodgers should become a ST guy, and if Lyerla were to make the team, his physical qualities might make him a premium ST guy.  So if Taylor gets replaced on ST in order to keep Finley, the reward way exceeds the price. 
3.  Rodgers is a mid-round pick, and both Rodgers and Lyerla are developmental guys at best for now.  Having Finley back on a 1-year, while they get a year to develop, works out perfectly. 
4.  Quarless is a limited player on a cheap short-term deal.  If finley comes back, and the Packers then extend him beyond this year while letting Quarless go after this year, no problem.  If Quarless needs to eventually be lost, because Finley and several of the others are better, no problem.
5.  As mentioned in #2, TE's are built for ST.  The roster can afford to be deep in TE due to their ST usage.
6.  Lyerla is the buzz this week, and I hope he works out to be a stud for us, for many years.  But he's still a long shot both to make the roster, and to become a difference-making guy, and to be able to keep his life together and sustain excellence longterm.  If keeping Finley means not keeping lyerla on the roster, perhaps in time Lyerla would make us regret that.  But the odds are pretty low. 
7.  PS.  Good chance that Lyerla, and perhaps even Rodgers, might clear to the PS.  If Finley plays and helps us win the SB, while a redshirt spends the year on the PS, win-win-win. 
8.  Injuries.  Finley-Quarless-Bostick-Rodgers-Lyerla, that's 5, and maybe it will be hard to keep five.  But it's the National Injury League.  Odds are pretty significant that by the time August ends and they've got to make their roster decisions, that at least one (if not more) of those five guys will be IR. 
9.  Extension.  I think resigning with GB beyond this year is well possible.  It's possible that if we signed Finley, he'd be worthless or hurt this year; and if he was good then he'll price himself out thereafter.  But I don't think it's at all implausible that he'll be healthy enough and good enough to be pretty useful to us.  Good enough that we'd like to resign him, but not so amazingly good that he'll be prohibitively expensive.  We know he's not going to be an amazing blocker.  We know he's not exceptionally fast, he's not been exceptional as a no-drops guy, and he's not really exceptional as a find-the-seams guy.  He's not the go-to guy or the primary target.  He's not Jimmy Graham or Gronkowski.  In the Packers spread-it-around offense, and with the Lacy running game, Finley isn't going to put up unbelievable stats, or be putting up games like he did back in the Arizona playoff game.  He's going to be a matchup guy; some games he'll catch a handful of passes, some games the planning will look elsewhere and he may only catch one or two balls.  So, I think it's entirely possible that he'll be a good regular, and a guy we want to keep, but that he won't become so expensive that we can't keep him. 

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 11:21:19 AM »
There is one guy I wish TT had drafted.

James Hurst, OT, North Carolina.

We could have gotten him very late and cheap.

If he had not been injured late in the year with a broken leg, he would probably have gone in the third  or fourth round.

He was not even well for this pro day.  But he can play.

THe Ravens picked him as an FA, 17 other teams wanted to sign him.  Harbaugh likes him already.

If it had been me, I would have drafted him in the sixth or seventh round.

Offensive tackles who can move like him are not easy to come by.  And if Sherrod turns out to be a bust, we don't have a lot of quality depth at that spot.

We will see.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 12:17:27 PM »
There is one guy I wish TT had drafted.

James Hurst, OT, North Carolina.

We could have gotten him very late and cheap.

If he had not been injured late in the year with a broken leg, he would probably have gone in the third  or fourth round.

He was not even well for this pro day.  But he can play.

THe Ravens picked him as an FA, 17 other teams wanted to sign him.  Harbaugh likes him already.

If it had been me, I would have drafted him in the sixth or seventh round.

Offensive tackles who can move like him are not easy to come by.  And if Sherrod turns out to be a bust, we don't have a lot of quality depth at that spot.

We will see.

Definitely would have been nice to grab him in the 6th or 7th as you suggested, but I think next year sets up as the year we work on the OLine (specifically tackle) as opposed to doing it this year. 

From everything I've seen Bak should be counted on to hold down the LT position for years to come.  So from there you still have to see if Bulaga can return from injury, if Sherrod can even block anymore after 2 or 3 injury filled years, and there's Barclay who MM seems to be fond of.

If two of the three with question marks listed above pan out this year, then we're pretty much set at LT and RT along with out swing guy on the bench.  But if they don't pan out as well TT can finally cut ties and start looking at replacements

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 03:28:29 PM »
Definitely would have been nice to grab him in the 6th or 7th as you suggested, but I think next year sets up as the year we work on the OLine (specifically tackle) as opposed to doing it this year. 

From everything I've seen Bak should be counted on to hold down the LT position for years to come.  So from there you still have to see if Bulaga can return from injury, if Sherrod can even block anymore after 2 or 3 injury filled years, and there's Barclay who MM seems to be fond of.

If two of the three with question marks listed above pan out this year, then we're pretty much set at LT and RT along with out swing guy on the bench.  But if they don't pan out as well TT can finally cut ties and start looking at replacements

I beat that horse to death before the draft. Some thought the Packers would get an OT in the first round or two, but I disagreed strongly for the exact reasons you stated. Next year the Packers have a much clearer idea what they do or do not have. They may have 3 above-average to good starter quality tackles (if things pan out well) and they may only have one and a half (if things go poorly, like either Bulaga slips or Bakhtiari does not progress, and Sherrod bombs. My guess would be at least two solid starters, with the third OT at 50/50.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 03:29:34 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 06:34:42 PM »
Sherrod is practicing at his highest level since sustaining a broken leg in his rookie season, 2011. The injury required a two-year recovery.
Derek Sherrod looks really good. This is as strong as I’ve ever seen him. It’s the padded work he needs,” McCarthy said.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Bulaga-back-Sherrod-making-it-four-man-battle-at-tackle/445c9ba9-dd2d-4f26-8886-5b0d70894159

FWIW!! .........................  :)

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 07:44:55 PM »
Right now, its not worth much.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 08:18:29 PM »
I'm an optimist but I agree with Gregg. Seems like we hear this a lot with Sherrod.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 07:01:16 AM »

His career's had some unfortunate starts and stops.
Here's to hoping its back on a solid footing / path (for him personally) and he can offer the Packers talent options and considerations - which cant be a bad thing any way you cut it. 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2014, 08:40:04 AM »
Agree two public days in OTA's doesn't mean much, and the story will be later. 

But I'm shamelessly optimistic nonetheless.  (If we can't be during the summer, when can we?)  This will be the first time he's had a full summer of football training/camp.  At draft, there was reference to how he could/should get himself stronger; MM's comment suggest he's done that.  While his ankle has certainly curtailed what kind of training he's been able to do, I think he's now had several years to get a lot stronger upper-body-wise.  Being fully built up on top half, combined with perhaps finally being able to push and anchor at the base is part of that.  The guy is massive, way bigger than Barclay or Bakhti.  So in terms of pure power-blocking, or keeping a guy controlled once he gets his hands in on the guy, he might be in good position.

But can he bend, will his pad level be awful, does he have any quickness (feet, hands, brain), will he be able to move and mirror, that is total guesswork for now.  He may just be a big slow robot for all we know, and quick guys may blow past him. 

But, I admit I'm pretty hopeful.  It's interesting to wonder whether a really big guy might provide some opportunities in the run game or short-yardage game.  At draft Sherrod was noted more as a pass-blocker than run guy.  But given his size, it's interesting to imagine what might be possible run-blocking-wise, compared to non-blockers like Clifton or Newhouse, or low-power Bakhti. 

I'll remain hopeful/optimistic until there is reason to see that the rebuilt guy is indeed too slow to play effectively.   

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2014, 12:17:40 PM »
Just to remind posters what was said about Sherrod.

Bleacher report....

This senior class seems to lack a true standout, franchise tackle prospect like some of the players we’ve seen in the recent years such as Jake Long, D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Joe Thomas, all top five picks.

Instead what we have is a more jumbled group of very solid prospects with no clear-cut No. 1 player at this point. The class looks relatively deep, with about 20 to 25 players who are a worthy of a draft selection. But it won’t be until the postseason evaluations and workouts when we’ll finally be able to figure out who the top tackles really are.

A name that has been gaining the most steam as the season goes on has been Mississippi State’s Derek Sherrod. Right now the 6'6", 305-pound senior would be the most likely candidate out of the all the tackles to come off the board first.

Sherrod, a former 4-star recruit coming out of Mississippi’s Caledonia High School, is in his third year as a starter for the Bulldogs. This season, he’s been the main blocker up front for a Mississippi State rushing attack that ranks second in the SEC with 220 yards per game.

With good agility and footwork for his size and great run-blocking skills, Sherrod has basically everything you would look for in a complete offensive tackle prospect. While he may not be elite, he’s shown he has what it takes to be a solid starting tackle in the NFL.

Sherrod looks like the only tackle prospect worthy of first-round selection at this time, but that could change depending on how many teams end up looking for a starting tackle early on in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Pro Football Weekly

Packers first-round OT Derek Sherrod shapes up as the heir apparent to veteran Pro Bowl OLT Chad Clifton, who will turn 35 in June. Look for the 6-5 3/8, 321-pounder to initially be the top backup behind Clifton with the capability of playing both left and right tackle in a pinch. What follows is a scouting breakdown of Sherrod by PFW draft expert Nolan Nawrocki:

Notes: Two-way lineman who also played basketball as a Mississippi prep. Saw action as a reserve in 11 games as a true freshman in 2007. Started 10-of-11 games played at left tackle in '08 - did not play in the season opener or start in Week Two while dealing with a foot infection. Started all 25 games at left tackle in 2009-10. Team captain.

Positives: Well built with wide shoulders, long arms, huge hands and good overall body length. Plays square to the line of scrimmage and has good lateral agility to shuffle, slide and mirror. Good recovery speed in pass pro. Sound technician in the run game - understands angles and leverage, runs his feet on contact and works to maintain positioning and sustain. Can clear his feet through traffic and plays with good balance - is not on the ground a lot. Tough, competitive and plays through injuries. Outstanding work ethic and preparation. Is smart, assignment-sound and trustworthy. The game is very important to him.

Negatives: Lacks functional lower-body strength. Does not roll off the ball flat-backed with power or generate movement in the run game. Not strong or powerful at the point of attack and relies on finesse. Lacks confidence and plays too soft-tempered with little emotion on the field. Almost plays too nice and does not seek to finish. Passive playing temperament turned off evaluators at the Senior Bowl.

Summary: A polarizing evaluation for many NFL teams, Sherrod does not fit ideally at any one position on the line. He lacks elite athletic ability for the left side and ideal power for the right, but has a nice blend of both qualities and enough to function at left tackle in the pros. Could even wind up kicking inside to guard, where some teams have graded him, and versatility is a plus. Has clear starter talent, does not get challenged much and should take over at the OLT position readily, warranting first-round attention.

NFL projection: Top-50 pick.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 12:21:04 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 03:21:05 PM »
No offense to Boykin but Adams is a better WR than him. Better in every way except experience. GB will put their best WRs out on the field, and I believe that to be Nelson, Cobb, and Adams. Was it crazy to think Jones would get 14 TDs? I think he has a ton of potential in this offense. He's a perfect fit for their quick passing game and he plays the deep part of the field very well. He's a WR that knows how to get open and anticipate his moves after the catch, a really rare gift. There were only 3 other WRs I had ahead of him in the draft, and it was a close tie with Beckham. If he was on the board I was hoping he'd be their 2nd round pick and he was just like Cobb. Cobb+Adams are going to end up being their best 2nd round WRs.

Adams hasn't run anything that even remotely resembles a NFL route tree.  He was a guy that made his name off one or two routes in a pass happy college offense against terrible competition.  The route tree he'll be required to learn in Green Bay is far more complex.  He's going to have to be remarkably smart to have the crazy impact you are expecting.  The last rookie WR to have 12 TDs was Randy Moss and Moss was a whole different caliber of a player.  You are talking about Adams having one of the 5 best rookie WR seasons IN NFL HISTORY and that is with him being behind at least 2 players substantially better and most likely 3. 

I thinks its awful early to call this guy better than Nelson seeing that he played against terrible competition in college, played in a WR friendly offense that isn't even remotely close to what he'll play in in Green Bay and he hasn't played a down in the NFL.

Unless Adams is a remarkably fast learner, I don't think there is the slightest chance of him starting over Boykin. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 03:39:45 PM by SSG »
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2014, 06:22:59 PM »
Can I tell you guys something? There are a total of 9 basic routes that every WR is required to run. Don't act like there are over 500 routes to learn. IF you ever played football you'd know you learn how to run all of them back in high school. The ideas that you guys have in your heads that is impossible for rookie WRs to learn how to run them is ridiculous.

He ran more than 2 routes in college, please you're insulting yourself. You don't put up those numbers up on 2 routes alone.

What he needs to learn to do is how THEY and Aaron like things done. From what I've heard he's grasping their concepts with ease coming from a pass happy offense, and has been showing Rodgers he belongs.

My expectations for him might be high, but I have never put such high expectations on a rookie before.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 09:18:32 AM »
Running those 9 routes as you say, is one thing. Running them in a proficient way, that allows you to get open in the NFL, is completely different. Many rookies struggle with this, see MN first round pick a year ago as an example.

This doesn't mean Adams won't contribute and contribute in a big way. It means he's not a finished product and will need to grow like all rookies.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "