July 23, 2019, 03:47:44 PM

Author Topic: 2014 rookie expectations  (Read 13612 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: 2014 rookie expectations
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2014, 11:47:55 AM »
I don't know that it's fair to make a comparison between Adams and C. Patterson.

Here's Patterson's pre-draft "weaknesses" according to NFL.com................
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/cordarrelle-patterson?id=2540145

Consistently a body catcher, even when it is not necessary. Was not frequently asked to go up and get the football at its highest point. Large number of his snaps start while off the line of scrimmage, allows for a better release. Doesn't use his hands enough against a jam, tries to dip or side-step rather than slap or push. Tends to throttle down in his breaks. Burst after the catch or return is only adequate but does accelerate quickly. Tries to do too much when the ball is in his hands at times. Dropped a few very catchable balls, including easy bucket throw over shoulder. Inconsistent blocking effort.

Patterson was raw as fresh hamburger coming out of TN. He only played 1 season of FBS football before entering the draft.

Adams is a much more polished product entering the draft than Patterson was.

Here's are Adams weaknesses from same source..............
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/davante-adams?id=2543495

Lacks ideal functional playing strength to consistently beat the jam and can get hung up at the line. Long strider and is not sudden out of his breaks. Production was inflated from a quick-hitting, lateral passing game.

What Adams does do, that separates him from Patterson is..............

Extends outside his frame and plucks the ball out of the air. Natural hands-catcher. Terrific athlete with good leaping ability and anticipation to properly time jumps and highpoint the ball. Wins jumpballs in the red zone and shows very good hand-eye coordination to take the ball away from defenders. Exceptional production. Has a 39 1/2-inch vertical jump.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2014, 02:43:33 PM »
Really wasn't my intent to compare them. I was using Patterson as ONE example of a rookie who had a lot of work to do in order to run NFL routes. Adams  may be more polished, but he's still a rookie and thus a work in progress.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2014, 11:26:43 AM »
Can I tell you guys something? There are a total of 9 basic routes that every WR is required to run. Don't act like there are over 500 routes to learn. IF you ever played football you'd know you learn how to run all of them back in high school. The ideas that you guys have in your heads that is impossible for rookie WRs to learn how to run them is ridiculous.

He ran more than 2 routes in college, please you're insulting yourself. You don't put up those numbers up on 2 routes alone.

What he needs to learn to do is how THEY and Aaron like things done. From what I've heard he's grasping their concepts with ease coming from a pass happy offense, and has been showing Rodgers he belongs.

My expectations for him might be high, but I have never put such high expectations on a rookie before.

No more insulting myself then malling outlandish claims of Adams putting up one of the best seasons in NFL history by a rookie WR. 

I've both played football and coached football and the fresno offense and the Green Bay offenses are night and day.  As are the responsibilities of the WRs.  Playing WR is just about running the same 9 routes.  I question your lack of football knowledge if you think it is just that easy.  Your expectations aren't high, they are absolutely ridiculous.  You are talking about him blowing the NFL away with one of the 5 best seasons in NFL history by a rookie WR.... :o
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »
Can I tell you guys something? There are a total of 9 basic routes that every WR is required to run. Don't act like there are over 500 routes to learn. IF you ever played football you'd know you learn how to run all of them back in high school. The ideas that you guys have in your heads that is impossible for rookie WRs to learn how to run them is ridiculous.

He ran more than 2 routes in college, please you're insulting yourself. You don't put up those numbers up on 2 routes alone.

What he needs to learn to do is how THEY and Aaron like things done. From what I've heard he's grasping their concepts with ease coming from a pass happy offense, and has been showing Rodgers he belongs.

My expectations for him might be high, but I have never put such high expectations on a rookie before.

No more insulting myself then malling outlandish claims of Adams putting up one of the best seasons in NFL history by a rookie WR. 

I've both played football and coached football and the fresno offense and the Green Bay offenses are night and day.  As are the responsibilities of the WRs.  Playing WR is just about running the same 9 routes.  I question your lack of football knowledge if you think it is just that easy.  Your expectations aren't high, they are absolutely ridiculous.  You are talking about him blowing the NFL away with one of the 5 best seasons in NFL history by a rookie WR.... :o

I question your ability to comprehend my main point of that post.

"Adams hasn't run anything that even remotely resembles a NFL route tree.  He was a guy that made his name off one or two routes in a pass happy college offense against terrible competition.  The route tree he'll be required to learn in Green Bay is far more complex."

That statement is what prompted me to write. Okay I never said he'd put up ridiculous yardage numbers. I'm assuming that's what you meant by one of the best seasons ever by a rookie. I don't see him getting 80+ catches nor do I see him getting 1000+ yards. Go back to the OP and you'll see I highlighted TDs as his claim to fame. Seeing as many as 12 TDs in his first year is not ridiculous if he beats out Boykin.

Please refrain from focusing on one part of a post or an individual post you disagree with and read the entire thread. You'd know I never said anything about Adams having an amazing year. I do however expect 6-8 TDs out of him and I put a ceiling of 12 for him. I'm sure you've found things in the past you disagreed with and I never retorted back. Probably because you've been on ignore for the past year.

I understand keeping your expectations low is a good way to not be wrong. Except I don't care, and neither should you. This argument is very dumb.

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2014, 05:15:39 AM »
I don't expect Adams to move past Boykin on the depth chart in 2014, certainly not in TC.  That being said, the 3 WR set is a huge part of GB's offense, and Adams will be one of those WR's if/when Jordy, Cobb or Boykin go down.  If the WR injury trend from the past few seasons continues in 2014, Adams will be on the field quite a bit.  In that scenario I'd expect Adams to post numbers similar to what J-Jones did as a rookie (47/676/2) with a few more TD's.  If Jordy, Cobb and Boykin all manage to stay healthy in 2014, I'd expect Adams to have a very quiet rookie season.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2014, 08:55:08 AM »
I don't expect Adams to move past Boykin on the depth chart in 2014, certainly not in TC.  That being said, the 3 WR set is a huge part of GB's offense, and Adams will be one of those WR's if/when Jordy, Cobb or Boykin go down.  If the WR injury trend from the past few seasons continues in 2014, Adams will be on the field quite a bit.  In that scenario I'd expect Adams to post numbers similar to what J-Jones did as a rookie (47/676/2) with a few more TD's.  If Jordy, Cobb and Boykin all manage to stay healthy in 2014, I'd expect Adams to have a very quiet rookie season.

I could see Adams being interchangeable with Boykin, and therefore get a significant amount of playing time.

Green Bay's 3 WR sets aren't always going to call for the same personnel groupings, depending on several variables (down/distance, field position, etc.).

I could easily see Adams as part of different personnel packages and on the field on a fairly regular basis. Doesn't mean he will supplant Boykin as the #3, just that he would fit certain packages better than Boykin.

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2014, 09:07:52 AM »
I probably lean toward SSG's side on this debate in that I see Adams as a raw prospect when it comes to routes.  I think that will limit the number of packages he's in as a rookie unless one of the top 3 are missing time.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2014, 12:07:58 PM »

I question your ability to comprehend my main point of that post.

"Adams hasn't run anything that even remotely resembles a NFL route tree.  He was a guy that made his name off one or two routes in a pass happy college offense against terrible competition.  The route tree he'll be required to learn in Green Bay is far more complex."

That statement is what prompted me to write. Okay I never said he'd put up ridiculous yardage numbers. I'm assuming that's what you meant by one of the best seasons ever by a rookie. I don't see him getting 80+ catches nor do I see him getting 1000+ yards. Go back to the OP and you'll see I highlighted TDs as his claim to fame. Seeing as many as 12 TDs in his first year is not ridiculous if he beats out Boykin.

Please refrain from focusing on one part of a post or an individual post you disagree with and read the entire thread. You'd know I never said anything about Adams having an amazing year. I do however expect 6-8 TDs out of him and I put a ceiling of 12 for him. I'm sure you've found things in the past you disagreed with and I never retorted back. Probably because you've been on ignore for the past year.

I understand keeping your expectations low is a good way to not be wrong. Except I don't care, and neither should you. This argument is very dumb.
My comprehension is fine, thanks.

ONE rookie WR has put up 12 TDs in the last 35 years (Randy Moss).  So while you didn't use the words  "one of the best seasons ever" the TD mark you are claiming he'll hit is saying it for you. 

I looked at everything and if you think there is no difference between the responsibilities for the WRs in the Green bay offense and the Fresno offense then I question your knowledge on the position regardless of your many claims of playing football.  There is A HUGE difference and playing WR isn't just about "running the same 9 routes" as you so ridiculously claimed.  HAHA, No, I haven't noticed your lack of replies but thanks for pointing it out.  Its rather comical that you felt the need too. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 12:12:57 PM by SSG »

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2014, 05:10:53 PM »

ONE rookie WR has put up 12 TDs in the last 35 years (Randy Moss).  So while you didn't use the words  "one of the best seasons ever" the TD mark you are claiming he'll hit is saying it for you. 

I looked at everything and if you think there is no difference between the responsibilities for the WRs in the Green bay offense and the Fresno offense then I question your knowledge on the position regardless of your many claims of playing football.  There is A HUGE difference and playing WR isn't just about "running the same 9 routes" as you so ridiculously claimed.  HAHA, No, I haven't noticed your lack of replies but thanks for pointing it out.  Its rather comical that you felt the need too.

I agree with Claymaker here.  His original claim was 50 receptions, and realistically 6-8 TD's.  Never indicated a Moss like performance, which by the way was 17 TD's I believe.  Not an outlandish hope for a second round pick.  Greg Jennings had 45 receptions, for 632 yds, and 3 TD's.  James Jones was 47 rec, 676 yds, and 2 TDs.  Even Cordarelle Patterson who was previously maligned in this thread had 45 rec for 469 yds and 4 tds- all with a dumpster fire of a quarterback situation in Minnesota.

So clearly 45 - 50 receptions is possible for rookie WR's in McCarthy's system.  Adams is a bigger receiver than Jennings, has a better vertical leap, and a large catch radius so he makes a better red zone target.  He may not outperform the 3 TD's of Jennings, but I think its possible.

If Rodgers is healthy, and the offensive line is healthy, their will be plenty of touchdowns to go around.

"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2014, 05:46:28 PM »

I agree with Claymaker here.  His original claim was 50 receptions, and realistically 6-8 TD's.  Never indicated a Moss like performance, which by the way was 17 TD's I believe.  Not an outlandish hope for a second round pick.  Greg Jennings had 45 receptions, for 632 yds, and 3 TD's.  James Jones was 47 rec, 676 yds, and 2 TDs.  Even Cordarelle Patterson who was previously maligned in this thread had 45 rec for 469 yds and 4 tds- all with a dumpster fire of a quarterback situation in Minnesota.

So clearly 45 - 50 receptions is possible for rookie WR's in McCarthy's system.  Adams is a bigger receiver than Jennings, has a better vertical leap, and a large catch radius so he makes a better red zone target.  He may not outperform the 3 TD's of Jennings, but I think its possible.

If Rodgers is healthy, and the offensive line is healthy, their will be plenty of touchdowns to go around.

His first post or original claim absolutely DID not say 50 receptions and 6-8 TDs. It made a absolutely ridiculous comparison to Jerry Rice and the ONLY static that was mentioned was 12 TDs.  I didn't say he was going to perform at Moss's level I said no rookie WR in the last 35 years has scored 12 TDs in his first year except Moss.

I think 6-8 TDs is a large stretch for a guy that is going to have a much bigger learning curve than people would like to admit but it isn't outlandish.  Predicting 12 TDs is absolutely outlandish.  Time will tell. Adams will have a LONG way to go in order to beat out Boykin so we'll have to wait to see if he is an extraordinarily quick learner.  The offense he ran in college and Green Bay's offense is night and day.  Playing WR in the NFL is just about running the same 9 routes the same way in the same circumstances like Mr Claymaker would like you to think. But hey, he likes to try to come off as a NFL player so maybe ti is as ridiculously easy as he likes to make it sound.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2014, 05:46:22 AM »
Careful where you are heading with your member bashing...you know we don't put up with that.

Everyone has an opinion and all are welcome.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »

His first post or original claim absolutely DID not say 50 receptions and 6-8 TDs. It made a absolutely ridiculous comparison to Jerry Rice and the ONLY static that was mentioned was 12 TDs.  I didn't say he was going to perform at Moss's level I said no rookie WR in the last 35 years has scored 12 TDs in his first year except Moss.

I think 6-8 TDs is a large stretch for a guy that is going to have a much bigger learning curve than people would like to admit but it isn't outlandish.  Predicting 12 TDs is absolutely outlandish.  Time will tell. Adams will have a LONG way to go in order to beat out Boykin so we'll have to wait to see if he is an extraordinarily quick learner.  The offense he ran in college and Green Bay's offense is night and day.  Playing WR in the NFL is just about running the same 9 routes the same way in the same circumstances like Mr Claymaker would like you to think. But hey, he likes to try to come off as a NFL player so maybe ti is as ridiculously easy as he likes to make it sound.

Short sighted. Interpreting what I say to make me look like a fool is a well known action taken by those who have nothing else to go on. I'll just attribute this to your familiarity with my ignore list and not replying to the "outlandish" things you say. I do appreciate the "he likes to try to come off as a NFL player." Clearly you care about being right. You certainly don't care for anyone who makes you look like a trolling, flaming, sissy with an ass for a hat because that's what you're being.

I'm 100% certain if Adams doesn't play up to my expectations you'll be the first one to say I told you so. Those are actually the people I dislike most: Reserving your expectations so low you can't be wrong, and when someone says otherwise you harp and harp about how they could never do anything remotely close. I probably wouldn't throw it in your face if I was right, but I probably would because you're lame. Like so lame I can't even begin to describe. You remind me of the kids I used to play with on World of Warcraft. Read their forums just once and you'll be wondering why your computer screen just turned into a mirror.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2014, 01:38:04 PM »
Did you read my post just above yours????

You can edit out that stuff.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline pacman5252

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2014, 06:58:01 PM »
Dix- start at least half the games, make a few plays/rookie mistakes, play on STs
Adams, #4 wr, like 400-600 yards but flashing ability. None of the rookie wrs GB have had really had stellar rookie years due to being buried on the DC
Thornton- rotational DL year one. Maybe play 10 snaps a game
Rodgers- see finely's first year. I expect him to struggle while learning the pro game and since he is a tweener, flash a little ability, rotational TE with like 200 yards
LB from ASU- maybe start a game due to injuries, core STs
Abber- Fringe roster guy. Hopefully makes it as a returner/#5/6 wr
Janis- PS
later round corner- STs/ 6th corner

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2014, 04:28:31 AM »
Dix- start at least half the games, make a few plays/rookie mistakes, play on STs
Adams, #4 wr, like 400-600 yards but flashing ability. None of the rookie wrs GB have had really had stellar rookie years due to being buried on the DC
Thornton- rotational DL year one. Maybe play 10 snaps a game
Rodgers- see finely's first year. I expect him to struggle while learning the pro game and since he is a tweener, flash a little ability, rotational TE with like 200 yards
LB from ASU- maybe start a game due to injuries, core STs
Abber- Fringe roster guy. Hopefully makes it as a returner/#5/6 wr
Janis- PS
later round corner- STs/ 6th corner

Any thoughts on Linsley the C from OSU?
"Make the Packers Great Again! "