July 16, 2019, 06:17:50 PM

Author Topic: 2014 rookie expectations  (Read 13599 times)

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
Re: 2014 rookie expectations
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2014, 08:35:11 PM »

My comprehension is fine, thanks.

ONE rookie WR has put up 12 TDs in the last 35 years (Randy Moss).  So while you didn't use the words  "one of the best seasons ever" the TD mark you are claiming he'll hit is saying it for you. 

I looked at everything and if you think there is no difference between the responsibilities for the WRs in the Green bay offense and the Fresno offense then I question your knowledge on the position regardless of your many claims of playing football.  There is A HUGE difference and playing WR isn't just about "running the same 9 routes" as you so ridiculously claimed.  HAHA, No, I haven't noticed your lack of replies but thanks for pointing it out.  Its rather comical that you felt the need too.

I agree with Claymaker here.  His original claim was 50 receptions, and realistically 6-8 TD's.  Never indicated a Moss like performance, which by the way was 17 TD's I believe.  Not an outlandish hope for a second round pick.  Greg Jennings had 45 receptions, for 632 yds, and 3 TD's.  James Jones was 47 rec, 676 yds, and 2 TDs.  Even Cordarelle Patterson who was previously maligned in this thread had 45 rec for 469 yds and 4 tds- all with a dumpster fire of a quarterback situation in Minnesota.

So clearly 45 - 50 receptions is possible for rookie WR's in McCarthy's system.  Adams is a bigger receiver than Jennings, has a better vertical leap, and a large catch radius so he makes a better red zone target.  He may not outperform the 3 TD's of Jennings, but I think its possible.

If Rodgers is healthy, and the offensive line is healthy, their will be plenty of touchdowns to go around.

His first post or original claim absolutely DID not say 50 receptions and 6-8 TDs. It made a absolutely ridiculous comparison to Jerry Rice and the ONLY static that was mentioned was 12 TDs.  I didn't say he was going to perform at Moss's level I said no rookie WR in the last 35 years has scored 12 TDs in his first year except Moss.

I think 6-8 TDs is a large stretch for a guy that is going to have a much bigger learning curve than people would like to admit but it isn't outlandish.  Predicting 12 TDs is absolutely outlandish.  Time will tell. Adams will have a LONG way to go in order to beat out Boykin so we'll have to wait to see if he is an extraordinarily quick learner.  The offense he ran in college and Green Bay's offense is night and day.  Playing WR in the NFL is just about running the same 9 routes the same way in the same circumstances like Mr Claymaker would like you to think. But hey, he likes to try to come off as a NFL player so maybe ti is as ridiculously easy as he likes to make it sound.

Short sighted. Interpreting what I say to make me look like a fool is a well known action taken by those who have nothing else to go on. I'll just attribute this to your familiarity with my ignore list and not replying to the "outlandish" things you say. I do appreciate the "he likes to try to come off as a NFL player." Clearly you care about being right. You certainly don't care for anyone who makes you look like a trolling, flaming, sissy with an ass for a hat because that's what you're being.

I'm 100% certain if Adams doesn't play up to my expectations you'll be the first one to say I told you so. Those are actually the people I dislike most: Reserving your expectations so low you can't be wrong, and when someone says otherwise you harp and harp about how they could never do anything remotely close. I probably wouldn't throw it in your face if I was right, but I probably would because you're lame. Like so lame I can't even begin to describe. You remind me of the kids I used to play with on World of Warcraft. Read their forums just once and you'll be wondering why your computer screen just turned into a mirror.

I didn't "interpret" anything.  They were the words you typed.  How was to know you didn't mean 12 TDs when you said 12 TDs   :o.  Its not  every day someone predicts one of the best rookie seasons in NFL history by a guy that will be the CLEAR #4 WR going into the season because he hasn't played in an offense that even remotely resembles a NFL offense.  What next?  Is Clinton-Dix going to be the NFL Defensive player of the year?

Someone talking about being lame then openly admitting he plays world of Warcraft?  Thats ironic.  You can keep your World of Warcraft experiences and the name calling to yourself kid, not interested in your bate.  If you can't have a conversation without flinging names out then I'd just assume I stay on your ignore list. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:35:44 PM by SSG »
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2014, 08:38:24 PM »
Dix- start at least half the games, make a few plays/rookie mistakes, play on STs
Adams, #4 wr, like 400-600 yards but flashing ability. None of the rookie wrs GB have had really had stellar rookie years due to being buried on the DC
Thornton- rotational DL year one. Maybe play 10 snaps a game
Rodgers- see finely's first year. I expect him to struggle while learning the pro game and since he is a tweener, flash a little ability, rotational TE with like 200 yards
LB from ASU- maybe start a game due to injuries, core STs
Abber- Fringe roster guy. Hopefully makes it as a returner/#5/6 wr
Janis- PS
later round corner- STs/ 6th corner

I think/ hope the rookie class has a bigger impact than that.  I'm expecting a lil more from Clinton-Dix and Rodgers.  I specifically think Rodgers is going to surprise some people if the coaching staff gives him a chance.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2014, 04:04:59 PM »
Dix- start at least half the games, make a few plays/rookie mistakes, play on STs
Adams, #4 wr, like 400-600 yards but flashing ability. None of the rookie wrs GB have had really had stellar rookie years due to being buried on the DC
Rodgers- see finely's first year. I expect him to struggle while learning the pro game and since he is a tweener, flash a little ability, rotational TE with like 200 yards
Janis- PS

I think/ hope the rookie class has a bigger impact than that.  I'm expecting a lil more from Clinton-Dix and Rodgers.  I specifically think Rodgers is going to surprise some people if the coaching staff gives him a chance.

As much as I would like to see RR tear it up this year, I assume the Finley rookie year as mentioned by Pacman is probably more realistic.  I think there will be a lot of situations in which MM and Aaron want Quarless and his experience on the field, which in turn will limit RR's chance to put up big numbers. 

All that being said, would be nice to see him get 400-500 if he's splitting time with Q.  I highly doubt he ever approaches the level Finley was on in his 'prime' (aka before injuries) because RR looks pretty darned slow on his college film, but I feel like he can turn into a solid 700-800 a year player if he runs good routes and uses his hands well like he's been doing so far

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2014, 08:36:12 AM »
Janis- PS

As much as I would like to see RR tear it up this year, I assume the Finley rookie year as mentioned by Pacman is probably more realistic.  I think there will be a lot of situations in which MM and Aaron want Quarless and his experience on the field, which in turn will limit RR's chance to put up big numbers. 

All that being said, would be nice to see him get 400-500 if he's splitting time with Q.  I highly doubt he ever approaches the level Finley was on in his 'prime' (aka before injuries) because RR looks pretty darned slow on his college film, but I feel like he can turn into a solid 700-800 a year player if he runs good routes and uses his hands well like he's been doing so far

I beleive Finley had less than 70 yards receiving as a rookie.  While I don't think RR's going to tear it up, I expect him to have a bigger impact than Finley did as a rookie (who had a better receiver playing in front of him (Donald Lee) IMO) and more than the 200 yards that was mentioned. 

Time will tell as far as the TEs go.  I'm not convinced Quarless's roster spot is safe.  He was not a very good blocker last year and he brings next to nothing to the receiving game.  He's signed for pennies in guaranteed money due to not drawing any sort of interest from the rest of the league as an UFA.  I think Quarless being MIA for the offseason stuff could be hurting himself.   If Rodgers has the same sort of camp/ preseason as he did OTAs then I don't think it is unreasonable to think Rodgers will start to see a lot more time in passing situations.   

I think he got AR's attention and I think the QB is going to want as many play makers on the field as he can get. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2014, 03:40:05 PM »

I beleive Finley had less than 70 yards receiving as a rookie.  While I don't think RR's going to tear it up, I expect him to have a bigger impact than Finley did as a rookie (who had a better receiver playing in front of him (Donald Lee) IMO) and more than the 200 yards that was mentioned. 

Time will tell as far as the TEs go.  I'm not convinced Quarless's roster spot is safe.  He was not a very good blocker last year and he brings next to nothing to the receiving game.  He's signed for pennies in guaranteed money due to not drawing any sort of interest from the rest of the league as an UFA.  I think Quarless being MIA for the offseason stuff could be hurting himself.   If Rodgers has the same sort of camp/ preseason as he did OTAs then I don't think it is unreasonable to think Rodgers will start to see a lot more time in passing situations.   

I think he got AR's attention and I think the QB is going to want as many play makers on the field as he can get.

Finley had 2 things working against him as a rookie.

1) His age. He was very young and immature as a rookie, and seemed to always get in hot water by shooting off his mouth.

2) I think he had a learning disability. Not only did he score just a 9 on the wonderlic, but I read somewhere that he bombed out on several other measured matricies such as mental quickness, receptivity to coaching, focus, etc. I think this made it very difficult for Finley to learn, and then transfer that learning to the playing field, the Packers offensive play book. If it wasn't for his off the charts athleticism, he might have never made the final 53 man roster.

I don't see these same difficulties with RR, who has done well academically. He should absorb the playbook fairly quickly and be able to produce at a much earlier stage than Finley.