December 05, 2019, 07:04:25 PM

Author Topic: Moving forward  (Read 9477 times)

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
Re: Moving forward
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 10:47:32 AM »
I agree with most of that, golf.  Good post.  Below are some responses to a few of your thoughts.

- Offensive line is a mess. If Bulaga is gone for long-term I expect Tretter to come back and play RT rather than center. He was a tackle in college.

It doesn't appear as if Bulaga will miss much time; it sounds like there's even a chance he could play next week against the Jets.  However, if he doesn't play, or even misses a few games, I would go with Sherrod.  McCarthy said that's the plan, too.  My support for Sherrod isn't really a secret; I think he'll end up being a good player.  I know he didn't play well in the second half, but I have to imagine that with a full week of practice he'll be much improved against the Jets, especially since he'll be playing at home.  I really can't fathom worse circumstances for Sherrod to play his first meaningful snaps in years.  That was a tough spot for him.  McCarthy also noted that one of the two sacks he gave up was due to a line shift not reaching him because of the noise.

As for Tretter, I don't think he's getting on the field this year.  Linsley was really impressive, and by Week 8, he could be entrenched as the starter.

- Ha Ha Dix going to take over for Hyde. It was apparent he's got the best skill set of any of our safeties. He needs to keep his legs moving and drive through his tackles and catch that interception.

I agree that HaHa looked good.  Well, he was in position to make plays; now, he needs to start making them.

However, why over Hyde?  I'd rather have him syphon snaps from Burnett.  I'm losing patience with him.

- Can we please try Barrington and Lattimore inside rather than Hawk and Jones. In fact, Jones was so disappointing I'd say cut him but he gets his whole salary for the year now anyway. We at least might stand a chance if we go with the more athletic guys. I'd give Bradford a go before I want to see Brad Jones on the field again.  >:D

I agree completely on Jones.  He has to be an addition by subtraction player at this point.  I mean, he really Barbred that defense on Thursday.

I'm not as upset with Hawk.  He isn't great, but he isn't the suckstation that Jones is.  I don't think Barrington or Lattimore could be worse.

- No more 2-4-5 defense, PLEASE!

Could you elaborate a bit here?  In other words, why don't you like this formation, and what would you like to see them use more of going forward?

I think using Jones, Daniels, Neal, Perry, Peppers, Matthews, Hyde, HaHa, Hayward, Shields, and Tramon together in some formation puts the defense's best 11 players on the field.  What would that be called? :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 10:50:08 AM by big ror »
"it's all gas; no fucking brake."

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 10:58:03 AM »
OK so that wasn't what we expected. Here are some of my thoughts moving forward.

- Would like to see Janis, Pennel and Elliott game day actives. Based on what I saw last night Guion, Mulumba and Brad Jones could sit out.
- Offensive line is a mess. If Bulaga is gone for long-term I expect Tretter to come back and play RT rather than center. He was a tackle in college.
- Ha Ha Dix going to take over for Hyde. It was apparent he's got the best skill set of any of our safeties. He needs to keep his legs moving and drive through his tackles and catch that interception.
- Can we please try Barrington and Lattimore inside rather than Hawk and Jones. In fact, Jones was so disappointing I'd say cut him but he gets his whole salary for the year now anyway. We at least might stand a chance if we go with the more athletic guys. I'd give Bradford a go before I want to see Brad Jones on the field again.  >:D
- Do what is necessary to keep our franchise QB alive. If that means extra blockers so be it. He's got to believe he's going to be protected. He didn't believe that last night at all.
- Can Davon House get some defensive snaps please? He was our best CB in TC.
-It wasn't over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor and this season isn't over either. We should handle the Jets but we have to clean up a whole bunch of things from last night.

At this point I think they would be better off moving Burnett than Hyde.  I thought Burnett much closer resembled the player we seen last year than the guy that got the massive extension.  While I don't think Hyde would be as good in run support, I think he'd be substantially better in space.  Burnett isn't a play maker and he hasn't shown that he can be relied on in coverage.  I know he makes a truck load of money but he deserves to be on the bench.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 11:01:54 AM »
At this point I think they would be better off moving Burnett than Hyde.  I thought Burnett much closer resembled the player we seen last year than the guy that got the massive extension.  While I don't think Hyde would be as good in run support, I think he'd be substantially better in space.  Burnett isn't a play maker and he hasn't shown that he can be relied on in coverage.  I know he makes a truck load of money but he deserves to be on the bench.

+1

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 11:17:03 AM »
Moving FWD:

Take Mike Daniels OFF of special freaking teams.  Not only did he play 46 snaps on the DL, he also played 13 on ST and 1 on offense.  How many teams take their premier DL and force him to exert energy on SPECIAL TEAMS?  60 plays for the dude is too much. 

Janis clearly isn't ready to play on offense.  If he was he would have been activated.  Missing the first few weeks of installs essentially guaranteed he'll be a non factor this season.  The kid doesn't know the playbook. 

Agree on Pennel and our UDFA OLB, though.  Pepp played too many plays in the first half.  Rotate those pass rushers in.

Matthews at ILB might just save the season.  We've got the pass rushers to let Capers use him in place of Brad Jones. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2014, 11:29:30 AM »
Moving FWD:

Take Mike Daniels OFF of special freaking teams.  Not only did he play 46 snaps on the DL, he also played 13 on ST and 1 on offense.  How many teams take their premier DL and force him to exert energy on SPECIAL TEAMS?  60 plays for the dude is too much. 

Janis clearly isn't ready to play on offense.  If he was he would have been activated.  Missing the first few weeks of installs essentially guaranteed he'll be a non factor this season.  The kid doesn't know the playbook. 

Agree on Pennel and our UDFA OLB, though.  Pepp played too many plays in the first half.  Rotate those pass rushers in.

Matthews at ILB might just save the season.  We've got the pass rushers to let Capers use him in place of Brad Jones.

But could Janis be a punt/kick returner this season?

Did any of you see D. Adams out there Thursday night?

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2014, 11:31:06 AM »
Didn't watch, but understand he was wide open, streaking for the EZ, but nobody threw him the ball.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2014, 03:20:40 PM »
Didn't watch, but understand he was wide open, streaking for the EZ, but nobody threw him the ball.

I saw someone streaking towards endzone free on right side when Rodgers rolled right once and threw back deep left to Jordy.  Maybe that was him...  if Rodgers would have saw him, very long gain or potential TD.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2014, 03:42:22 PM »
I agree that if we move anyone it should be Burnett.

I would not mind HHCD and Hyde back there.

I also would like to bench both ILB's.  Maybe cut Jones.  What a dumb signing that was by TT.  And we all know what I think about TT renewing Hawk.

ALso agree on the 4-3.  I would like us to get a coach who really believes in that defense and knows it inside out.  Capers is so enamored with these gimmicky defenses. But I think with Raji gone it hurts our ability to play it.  I think Daniels and Raji would be perfect complementary DT's in a 4-3.

I also like House and would like to see him more.

Offline Go Yotes

• Rookie
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2014, 03:50:20 PM »
Hands can be removed from the panic button with a win against the Jets.  The flaws pointed out in this thread should be painfully obvious to the coaches, so with 10 days to prepare I would expect a much better performance at home against a lesser opponent than the Seahawks.  A loss to the Jets followed by two road games versus division foes would make moving forward a grim prospect. 

Guion and Jones don't appear to have any place on a decent team.  Other than that the pieces seem to be there.  Pennel (or Boyd) and Lattimore should get a chance to see what they can do.  The return of Bostick would be an upgrade as would some help for Sherrod if he is playing.  I doubt that the result would have been different, but the Packers were one holding call on Jones (weak call IMO) away from having a chance to make things interesting.  Road game at the defending champs is never going to be easy.       

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2014, 05:25:58 PM »
Moving FWD:

Matthews at ILB might just save the season. 

Daniel was only in for that punt because we left their defense on the field thinking they would fake. He made a mistake.

Janis only has to run two routes. His favorite a shallow drag and go long young man. We could have tested Sherman deep with Janis, but JMO.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:40:44 PM by golfman »
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2014, 05:39:55 PM »

It doesn't appear as if Bulaga will miss much time; it sounds like there's even a chance he could play next week against the Jets.  However, if he doesn't play, or even misses a few games, I would go with Sherrod.  McCarthy said that's the plan, too.  My support for Sherrod isn't really a secret; I think he'll end up being a good player.  I know he didn't play well in the second half, but I have to imagine that with a full week of practice he'll be much improved against the Jets, especially since he'll be playing at home.  I really can't fathom worse circumstances for Sherrod to play his first meaningful snaps in years.  That was a tough spot for him.  McCarthy also noted that one of the two sacks he gave up was due to a line shift not reaching him because of the noise.

As for Tretter, I don't think he's getting on the field this year.  Linsley was really impressive, and by Week 8, he could be entrenched as the starter.

I agree that HaHa looked good.  Well, he was in position to make plays; now, he needs to start making them.

However, why over Hyde?  I'd rather have him syphon snaps from Burnett.  I'm losing patience with him.

I agree completely on Jones.  He has to be an addition by subtraction player at this point.  I mean, he really Barbred that defense on Thursday.

I'm not as upset with Hawk.  He isn't great, but he isn't the suckstation that Jones is.  I don't think Barrington or Lattimore could be worse.

Could you elaborate a bit here?  In other words, why don't you like this formation, and what would you like to see them use more of going forward?

I think using Jones, Daniels, Neal, Perry, Peppers, Matthews, Hyde, HaHa, Hayward, Shields, and Tramon together in some formation puts the defense's best 11 players on the field.  What would that be called? :)

1. The offensive line: I wrote this before the diagnosis with Bulaga came back. I like many here feared the worst that he was gone long term. I know you still have hopes for Sherrod, but he's lost at RT. He does his best work on the LT and you can't move Bak IMO. The Tretter idea was based on my thought Bulaga was gone. Tretter stays at Center now IMO. Only one game for Linsley but an impressive start.

My thoughts on Ha Ha replaceing Hyde.

1. That was who he was replacing Thursday. 2. They appear to like Burnett more near the LOS than Hyde. I'm OK with it but Ha Ha has to be on the field.

The inside linebackers are not giving us enough. We need to do something. It should have been addressed in the offseason and wasn't. When Barrington and Lattimore played last year, they attacked the LOS. I like that about them.

The 2-4-5 is the new version of prevent a victory defense when we used to have three down linemen and nobody else near the LOS. When we play it there are 6 in the box. We often employ it on 1st and 10, 2nd and short and occasionally on 3rd and short. We continually get it pounded up our arse by teams running the ball. Also, there is no surprise regarding who is coming. The line has 6 guys to account for and 2 are 6 or so yards off the LOS. It simply doesn't work and hope I never see it again.

What would I like to see them use, 4-3. I think we have the perfect personnel for it. D. Jones, Neal, Peppers and Perry are the perfect 3-4 DE's. Daniel is the perfect Tampa 2 3-technique. Guion could back him up. Pennel and Boyd play the other tackle position. Hawk could play middle, but so could Barrington and Lattimore and Matthews outside. Heck you could even move Matthews a bit and let him play in the middle on certain defenses.

We have to be more physical and attacking at the point of attack. We simply weren't Thursday night. I think it can be fixed, but am not exactly optimistic Capers will fix it. It's three years running of us getting manhandled and he hasn't changed yet.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2014, 05:56:45 PM »
Yup...as the thread subject title reads..."Moving Forward".

With that it is time to move ahead and today is the 2nd and last day for all the ranting after losing to the Super Bowl Champs.

If you feel the need to keep whining and keep posting the same excuses head on over to the ESPN forums or something similar where anything goes.

The majority of us will move forward and be here for the remainder of the season and beyond.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Coldtrackman24

• Starter
pushing forward
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 02:52:20 PM »
I think that going forward the defense needs to have someone step up onthe line. The need more depth at o-line but i believe thats TT fault. and we will see if we have a tight end. step up. And the lack of speed and and wraping up defenders is sad!

Offline morango

• HOF Member
Re: pushing forward
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 03:24:11 PM »
There is already a thread called "moving forward." Perhaps they can be merged?

Offline Coldtrackman24

• Starter
Re: pushing forward
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 04:19:24 PM »
What also scares me is that we have slow linebackers that are marginal at speed at best. the team needs to wrap up tackle better and, poor pursuit of the ball, need more gang tackling, instead of watching one defender trying to make a tackle, it is very upsetting