December 06, 2019, 05:25:59 AM

Author Topic: How to fix the packers. . .  (Read 8687 times)

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
How to fix the packers. . .
« on: September 08, 2014, 08:49:37 AM »
From the basic book of Aztek management:

As noted today by Vic, "You get better. That's the answer. That's all you can do. Help is not on the way. I'm not going to begin throwing people under the bus just to satisfy the need for human sacrifice."
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:50:23 AM by marklawrence »
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
Re: How to fix the packers. . .
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 09:12:13 AM »
How about for non-performance?

Offline Zyvlyn

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 09:18:34 AM »
If we were to kill and eat someone on the team, I'd vote for McCarthy.  He looks like he'd be good eatin'.

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 09:30:22 AM »
If we were to kill and eat someone on the team, I'd vote for McCarthy.  He looks like he'd be good eatin'.

Agreed!  But not because he looks like he'd be good eating, but for the stupid look he gets on his face when the game starts slipping away and he can do nothing about it!
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 09:37:42 AM »
I like these solution better:

- Bench Guion and start Pennell at NT. Pennel will be better and he needs the work so he can someday take over full time.
- Bench B. Jones and start Elliot. See above for reason.
- Start HA HA opposite Burnett.
- Limit Daniels snaps to 35 and get him off ST. Rotate in Boyd.

Get rid of the 2-4-5 and start playing more 4-3 and let Peppers and Matthews get after the QB this week. Let Perry play more.

We are going to beat the Jets anyway because they cannot stop us offensively. If they do, we have bigger problems to worry about than letting some rookies on defense start.

Can we see more screen passes please?
Can we throw to the TE more?
Can Adams and Boykin get some touches?
Limit Lacy and mix in Harris and Starks. Nothing wrong with a 2 back set!
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline EXIT_HERE

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 09:44:55 AM »
I like these solution better:

- Bench Guion and start Pennell at NT. Pennel will be better and he needs the work so he can someday take over full time.
- Bench B. Jones and start Elliot. See above for reason.
- Start HA HA opposite Burnett.
- Limit Daniels snaps to 35 and get him off ST. Rotate in Boyd.

Get rid of the 2-4-5 and start playing more 4-3 and let Peppers and Matthews get after the QB this week. Let Perry play more.

We are going to beat the Jets anyway because they cannot stop us offensively. If they do, we have bigger problems to worry about than letting some rookies on defense start.

Can we throw to the TE more?
Can Adams and Boykin get some touches?
Limit Lacy and mix in Harris and Starks. Nothing wrong with a 2 back set!

Wait  are you starting Elliot at ILB? Hasn't he been strictly OLB since coming here? As much as I think he will be a contributor at some point in the future I don't see a 6'3 255 OLB that runs a 4.7 who has never played the position being any better at ILB
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:45:47 AM by EXIT_HERE »

Offline Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 09:51:36 AM »
The Seahawks already did a pretty good job of neutering our team.  Wait which meaning of fixed are we going for?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:52:09 AM by Whiskey Sam »

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 09:53:24 AM »

Defense speed has improved across the NFL, and more and more I'm seeing screen passes get blown up by penetration. I'm not sure screen passes work so well anymore.
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline Raj34

• Second String
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 10:00:02 AM »
Keep trotting Hawk, Jones, and Burnett out there and hope for a different result. That's probably the plan.

Offline danvillepack

• Second String
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 10:03:52 AM »
I'm laughing and crying at the same time over this comment.  It's absolutely true.  Why the allegiance to Jones?  Why the allegiance to Burnett?

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 10:05:05 AM »
Keep trotting Hawk, Jones, and Burnett out there and hope for a different result. That's probably the plan.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you.  This is probably the route that we will take.

I would be starting Lattimore in place of Jones this Sunday and have Burnett on a very, very short leash.  I think Jones is a lost cause but a good benching could help turn Burnett around.

Offline Raj34

• Second String
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 10:15:19 AM »
I'm laughing and crying at the same time over this comment.  It's absolutely true.  Why the allegiance to Jones?  Why the allegiance to Burnett?

cuz they got paid.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 10:32:32 AM »
Wait  are you starting Elliot at ILB? Hasn't he been strictly OLB since coming here? As much as I think he will be a contributor at some point in the future I don't see a 6'3 255 OLB that runs a 4.7 who has never played the position being any better at ILB

Sorry Lattimore! I would start Lattimore or even Bradford over Jones. Elliot is an OLB and should remain there.

Mark,

I still think the screen pass can work just fine even with faster defenses.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 10:33:02 AM »
As noted today by Vic, "You get better. That's the answer. That's all you can do. Help is not on the way. I'm not going to begin throwing people under the bus just to satisfy the need for human sacrifice."

Love the picture, gave me a good laugh.  Thanks for that Mark

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 10:44:25 AM »
I would start Lattimore or even Bradford over Jones.

The thing that drives me nuts more than anything else is when there are options to be used that look better than the starters in that same game.  Case in point, I thought HaHa made more instinctive plays in his first career game than I remember Burnett making in 14 starts last year.  Why HaHa is still the 3rd safety in that situation drives me nuts...

But on the other hand, like in Jones' case, I don't know where we can turn.  People on here seem to be big Lattimore fans, which is totally fine by me, but he's played in the regular season in the past years when Capers saw the defense getting crushed.  And every time he came in I thought to myself "alright, here's the end of the bad ILB era" only to watch him perform worse than Hawk and Jones. 

Jones and Hawk are what they are, not particularly athletic or good in space, but they know the position and at least put themselves into positions to make the plays, even if they don't on a particular night (e.g. Jones last week).  I'm all for the sexy picks of the Lattiomore's, Perry's, Barrington's, etc., that have that great speed and athleticism, but when you're constantly out of position it's going to hurt the team more than help