May 19, 2019, 08:20:02 PM

Author Topic: How to fix the packers. . .  (Read 8254 times)

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: How to fix the packers. . .
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 10:50:09 AM »
Defense speed has improved across the NFL, and more and more I'm seeing screen passes get blown up by penetration. I'm not sure screen passes work so well anymore.

Good observation. I'd only add that the screen pass in front of a guy has a better chance of success than a pass thrown at a guy (which is what I routinely see). That delay for the target to get going is fatal against better defenses these days. Screens could still work as long as Rodgers is the QB, because he has the talent to put it out there fast. It helps if you can set the defense up by beating them deep a time or two, and obviously you can design stuff to move or hold up the key defender.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline davekenya

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 09:38:33 PM »
If we were to kill and eat someone on the team, I'd vote for McCarthy.  He looks like he'd be good eatin'.

Agreed!  But not because he looks like he'd be good eating, but for the stupid look he gets on his face when the game starts slipping away and he can do nothing about it!

Now, now, if you're a gonna talk like this, you start with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hanburger

and add http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MustCh00.htm

>:D

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 05:35:32 AM »
A few years ago I saw a team "A" that was considered a pass first run second offense get killed by another team "B". The next day team A coach was quite adamant that his team would make the right adjustments and in time for the playoffs. Team A was the Indianapolis Colts and team B was the Jaguars. I think Jacksonville ran up over 400 yards on the Colts and it looked liked the Colts couldn't stop a HS team with a good runner. That was the year the Colts won the Superbowl. The Colts did add a pro bowl SS (Saunders)back to their lineup, but the team overcame that loss and made sure other teams weren't able to run on them like the Jaqs did that day. I don't know how many of you remember that game, but for me it was an introduction to adjustments. Can the Packers do the same thing? Sure they can! Will they, I don't know. I do know it's been done before and they have the whole season to get it right. The Packers have some good talent and can make a difference once this adjustment happens.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 05:49:16 AM »
My opinion, until they have an elite defense the Packers offense will continue to struggle against better teams.
It’s not easy playing offense against a good team when you never have good field position and are constantly playing catch up.

There will not be a Super Bowl until the defense is fixed. Yeah I know everyone is thinking no kidding genius, but it still is the number one freakn' problem after years of McCarthy saying it will be fixed.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:51:28 AM by ChicagoPackerFan »

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 08:03:39 AM »
My opinion, until they have an elite defense the Packers offense will continue to struggle against better teams.

Teams are unlikely to be able to field an elite offense  AND an elite defense. Elite on one side and decent on the other is more realistic. It should also be enough to win most matchups, including some of the matchups against other top teams. It won't win every time, but if you expect that of your team, you'll be disappointed virtually every year (1996 type years are very, very rare).

(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 08:40:47 AM »

Teams are unlikely to be able to field an elite offense  AND an elite defense. Elite on one side and decent on the other is more realistic. It should also be enough to win most matchups, including some of the matchups against other top teams. It won't win every time, but if you expect that of your team, you'll be disappointed virtually every year (1996 type years are very, very rare).

What would Seattle and SF be? BTW what do you call elite, for me its a top three.

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 08:44:13 AM »

I agree wholeheartedly with you.  I'm not so sure, however, that GB is an "elite" offense anymore - good yes, but great would be a stretch, IMO.  Let's assume this is the case (GB being a good but not great offense), then what's it going to take to compete with upper tier teams in the league?  A good offense and a mediocre defense probably won't quite get us there.  Our offense could be great again, but with the O-line the way it is, and with the conservative scheme that MM continues to deploy, in my humble opinion GB's offense isn't in the elite category anymore.
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 08:52:54 AM »

I agree wholeheartedly with you.  I'm not so sure, however, that GB is an "elite" offense anymore - good yes, but great would be a stretch, IMO.  Let's assume this is the case (GB being a good but not great offense), then what's it going to take to compete with upper tier teams in the league?  A good offense and a mediocre defense probably won't quite get us there.  Our offense could be great again, but with the O-line the way it is, and with the conservative scheme that MM continues to deploy, in my humble opinion GB's offense isn't in the elite category anymore.

I think he/she was assuming I thought Green Bay's offense was "elite", I would put then at "good" right now.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:54:10 AM by ChicagoPackerFan »

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 08:58:59 AM »

I think he/she was assuming I thought Green Bay's offense was "elite", I would put then at "good" right now.

Yep, I got that also.  I was just throwing it out to the entire Packer Chatters community that I don't think the GB offense is elite anymore!  Like you, I'm of the ilk that GB's offense is good but not great.  With O-line improvement and less revolving door personnel issues there, and with improved use of our weapons a la MM's scheme, I think we could be great again. 
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 02:03:42 PM »

Maybe that's the bigger issue here that's keeping the team from remaining in the "elite" category.

He needs to rewatch the tape from the SEA game and see how Carroll/Bevell ran their offense.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 02:49:53 PM »
He needs to rewatch the tape from the SEA game and see how Carroll/Bevell ran their offense.

It might not hurt to even look at Minnesota. They were pretty explosive.

I am sort of on the fence as to whether the Packers just ran up against an unusually powerful defense or if we really have issues on the offense and the play calling. One thing is for sure is that Rodgers needs more time to throw and Lacy needs some holes to run through. To beat the better teams, he will need a lot of both.

Honestly, Rodgers deserves better than what he is getting right now. Best QB in the NFL and we can't keep him upright.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:52:50 PM by Beagle »
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 02:59:08 PM »
I am sort of on the fence as to whether the Packers just ran up against an unusually powerful defense or if we really have issues on the offense and the play calling.

I think it's a bit of both.  Our play calling is an issue, but we should still be able to beat the lesser teams based on having Rodgers back there.  Unfortunately that doesn't really help our chances when we go up against really good teams.  Would be nice to start expanding the playbook against teams like the Jets so when we match up with the Saints and Pats later we'll be more explosive

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 03:48:24 PM »
I'm sorry, one fixes dogs and cats to control pet populations, in football you build a team. The Packers came into that game too complacent and unprepared - they need to get to work at many levels from coaches to players on offense, defense and special teams...

You're ascending or your descending - against the Jets it is time for us to fly!
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 04:55:06 PM »
against the Jets it is time for us to fly!

Well played B, well played  clap)

Offline DWhitehurst

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 08:06:22 PM »
They need to have this mentality going forward: Play every play and every game like it is your last, because after all, it could very well be. (ala NFL, "not for long")
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:09:08 PM by DWhitehurst »