December 05, 2019, 06:33:33 PM

Author Topic: Coaches responsibilty  (Read 19802 times)

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
Re: Coaches responsibilty
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 08:45:09 AM »
I find it weird that this forum has a moderator that comments.

Commenting and moderating should be separate.

I agree. Larry doesn't think a 2nd log-in ID is a good idea.

We (Mods) like talking Packer football too.

If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline get louder at lambeau

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 09:53:01 AM »

But the big question is, which coaches do the mods want fired.  ;)
Why can't Ted Thompson be the MVP of the NFL?

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 11:52:31 AM »

But the big question is, which coaches do the mods want fired.  ;)

We tend to talk more intelligently...or at least try.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 11:59:34 AM »
We fans can all clamor for the heads of coaches when things aren't going well but I doubt if any heads will roll until after this season.  It is disconcerting to see the same screw-ups on D now that we saw in the past. But I'm gonna wait and see how the season unfolds before I call for any coaches' firings. 

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2014, 12:45:16 PM »
We fans can all clamor for the heads of coaches when things aren't going well but I doubt if any heads will roll until after this season.  It is disconcerting to see the same screw-ups on D now that we saw in the past. But I'm gonna wait and see how the season unfolds before I call for any coaches' firings.

Unless things go unbelievably bad there is no way any coach is getting fired during the season.

If you fire McCarthy you might as well clean house and get rid of Thompson, and it will take a lot for that to happen. So all the people that say fire McCarthy and or Thompson, the odds of that happening are slim especially when you have a quality quarterback like Rodgers on the team. They probably can never get bad enough for that to happen.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 12:46:33 PM by ChicagoPackerFan »

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 03:22:23 PM »
Thompson and Murphy know something that seems not well understood here. It's difficult and rare to get to the SB in these salary cap - draft - parity days. And front office instability makes it harder.
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2014, 06:34:41 PM »
I think it was the game thread here, but even if it wasn't, I think it's worthy of discussion.  Folks were hammering a lot of the coaching, and someone defended them by noting that the coaches don't play.  If they don't take any of the heat for educating the players and using them to the best advantage, what are they there for?  If substandard players let coaches off the hook, then outstanding players would be that regardless, so why have coaches at all?  It's obvious where I stand, but I'd be interested to hear thoughts from 'the other side'.

You can bellyache all you like, but without substantiation, your tantrum is just a waste of time.

So, to validate your tantrum, break down the coaches responsibility on Rodgers fumble on the first play from scrimmage.

You sure it was my post to which you meant to reply?  Try very hard not to bellyache (criticize, yes; complain, sure), and I have a hard time finding the tantrum in my post.  Incredibly hard to substantiate my position when I didn't take one.  I asked a couple of questions and am still waiting for an answer. 

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2014, 06:38:50 PM »
I put forth the product on the field for everyone who wants to eliminate one or two preseason games and add them to the regular season. With the CBA rules and the changes the NFL has instituted the last few years, we are essentially in the final weeks of the preseason NOW. The NFL cannot shorten the preparation that teams need and expect a polished product on the field on week one. And I think that MM gets that.
People, come in off of the ledge. How often have you heard 'seasons aren't won in the first week'? It's still true. Some teams are hot now and looking like world beaters. Let's wait until week 8 or so to shake out the pretenders from the contenders. (Sorry for all of the cliches :) )
And to everyone who is going to take me to the woodshed for using excuses for the poor play by parts of the Packers team: I also see the poor play. I just think of it as still being in a part of preseason. And with that said, I look for improvement right now, not perfection. And yes, we did see improvement from week 1 to week 2.
ps. If you can't tell, I am against shortening the preseason and adding to the 16 game season.

A very measured post, certainly not one of the "you are all Chicken Littles" genre.  However, I ask again - in a forum like this, what would you have us talk about, at least until halfway through the season?  I see poor play (or decision making), and I want to note it.

Absolutely agree with the comments on preseason.  I can't believe that the inmates are running the asylum - the players take their millions but don't want to have to work as hard as high schoolers.  Almost impossible to evaluate and train under those circumstances.

Sorry HE, I didn't express everything the right way.
I'm all for people talking about poor play. I have 4 kids, so I'm pretty good at ignoring the comments I don't think add anything to the discussion! I figure those comments won't (or shouldn't) generate much discussion, and will eventually go away. If it generates discussion, then obviously people want to discuss it. If it's something I don't like, I go to another thread. In the end, I read what interests me. And Mark (obligatory shout out), you are doing a great job , because there are a bunch of things on this board that interest me. Gotta agree though, the dead-horse-beatings get old.

Quite possible you expressed it OK, I just didn't read it the right way.   :)  The bolded parts, as with you original post, is very insightful, but I'm afraid you're in a very tiny minority.   :)

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2014, 04:58:33 AM »
You sure it was my post to which you meant to reply?  Try very hard not to bellyache (criticize, yes; complain, sure), and I have a hard time finding the tantrum in my post.  Incredibly hard to substantiate my position when I didn't take one.  I asked a couple of questions and am still waiting for an answer.

Yeah, the tantrum and bellyaching was veiled, I’ll give ya that…  When you power whine about the coaching with an abstract hypothetical, then state it’s obvious where you stand, yet offer no breakdown for your stance, that’s a tantrum.

I asked you to back up your position, but you ignored that for some reason. I’ll ask again… What was the coaches’ responsibility on Rodgers’ fumble on the first play from scrimmage, and a new one, what was the coaches’ responsibility on Sam Shields poor coverage on Decker’s TD?

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2014, 06:47:30 AM »
There were some REALLY bad coaching calls.

The challenge on the Decker catch was stupid.  VERY stupid.

The onside kick?  Come on man...

3rd and 7, empty backfield for the Jets (scrambling QB).  Not one person was left in the middle of the field.  Not only was that QB draw easy, but any short pattern to the middle was a freebie as well.

Always nice to come up with a win but these coaching mistakes are great examples of why the Packer's have been one and done come January.

Whoever is advising MM on challenges should be fired.  I didn't care for the onside kick either.  When they work they are great when they are unexpected but I thought it was rather early to be doing that.

But we do have a big issue with the middle of our defense.  It may be a personnel problem but plays like that QB draw and letting TEs run wild in there give me ulcers.   :-\

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2014, 07:48:01 AM »

Yeah, the tantrum and bellyaching was veiled, I’ll give ya that…  When you power whine about the coaching with an abstract hypothetical, then state it’s obvious where you stand, yet offer no breakdown for your stance, that’s a tantrum.

I asked you to back up your position, but you ignored that for some reason. I’ll ask again… What was the coaches’ responsibility on Rodgers’ fumble on the first play from scrimmage, and a new one, what was the coaches’ responsibility on Sam Shields poor coverage on Decker’s TD?

Link?

Is there a problem golf?  This is the 2nd post I noticed from you like this.

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2014, 07:52:06 AM »
Thompson and Murphy know something that seems not well understood here. It's difficult and rare to get to the SB in these salary cap - draft - parity days. And front office instability makes it harder.

Damned it mark, there you go again using logic and making sense to spoil folks whine production  ;) I thought you were from CA, a state that produces many great wines
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2014, 07:29:32 PM »
So if the only thing we are supposed to do is sing franchise praises like a packer church of sorts what does a discussion forum even exist for?
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2014, 07:38:33 PM »
So if the only thing we are supposed to do is sing franchise praises like a packer church of sorts what does a discussion forum even exist for?

Intelligent discussion is fine but ranting and whining is non-productive and best for other places.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2014, 07:52:53 PM »

Intelligent discussion is fine but ranting and whining is non-productive and best for other places.

A lot of people post very good statements and good analysis. It just seems as though anything on this forum not exalting the players and coaches is deemed as "ranting and whining" because people in charge don't want to read it. You can't claim every post you don't agree with is ranting and whining.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."