March 22, 2019, 05:13:19 AM

Author Topic: Detroit Game  (Read 22941 times)

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
Detroit Game
« on: September 21, 2014, 12:37:49 PM »
Pretty bad play calling, way too conservative.  Not one single pass over 30 yards.  IT's painfully obvious this offensive line sucks.  Bahktari cannot run block, Lang looked foolish on the field.  I cannot believe we just lost to a bunch of scrubs on the Detroit defensive backfield.  Quite wasting time on no talent offensive lineman in the 4th and 5th rd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Draft some talent!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is Boykin still doing on the field?  Adams is clearly better!!!!!.  The kid from Saginaw Valley State is better! 

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Detroit Game
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 12:52:21 PM »
Perhaps McCarthy has been running the offense so long, it has become too predictable, especially for other teams that know them well.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 12:53:11 PM »
Feel better now? Then, take a deep breath and repeat with me, "Its only a game. Its only a game..."
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline EXIT_HERE

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 12:55:27 PM »
Feel better now? Then, take a deep breath and repeat with me, "Its only a game. Its only a game..."

Its a recurring theme, not just one game. We have been the better team in a grand total of 2 quarters this season.

Offline Skinny

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 12:55:45 PM »
Reminds me of the 01-04 Packer years.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 01:02:20 PM »
People will say I'm overreacting but this isn't like other years when we've started slow, 2010 comes to mind. We come out completely flat and clueless on offense 3 games in a row.

This ain't getting fixed until McCarthy is shown the door. His message is falling on deaf ears, it's very apparent.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Thom_Tedson

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 01:03:44 PM »

It's only a game. It's only a game...

Offline gbfansb

• Second String
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 01:04:56 PM »
Packer Joe I believe you are the same poster from "other boards" and I wanting to believe never agreed with. But you are right. I think just maybe TT and MM and the rest are very good at their jobs but sometimes you can be at that job to long. The Packers have the talent ok today some of that talent did not show up. What I don't understand is why not use what works until they stop it.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 01:25:12 PM »
Perhaps McCarthy has been running the offense so long, it has become too predictable, especially for other teams that know them well.
Hardly.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 01:27:23 PM »

It's actually 3 games. Slow starts, terrible offensive game plan, lack of adjustments. But the defense did hold its own. Had the offense showed up it could have been been a shutout for the defense
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline emc2feld

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 01:32:31 PM »
Gotta call out the coaches (and AR) on this one.  Once again, the Packers seemed to be half asleep throughout the game (other than the Clinton-Dix INT to the Lions' safety).  You can't keep playing "back on your heels" and expect different results.  This is on the coaches for not having the players fired up for the game.

My biggest issue was MM's playcalling.  I understand trying to establish the run, but when 7-8 of the first 10 plays are runs when AR is your QB is absurd--especially when you're playing the 2nd best run defense in the NFL and they have 4-5 players injured in their secondary!

This philosophy also never really let AR get into a rhythm.  He was missing some open throws (like the 4th down to Nelson) and once again held onto the ball too long.  Shame on me for criticizing AR, but, when you're the highest paid player in the NFL (based on average yearly salary), you have to make those throws.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 01:34:21 PM »
People will say I'm overreacting but this isn't like other years when we've started slow, 2010 comes to mind. We come out completely flat and clueless on offense 3 games in a row.

This ain't getting fixed until McCarthy is shown the door. His message is falling on deaf ears, it's very apparent.

I agree. The offense is so stagnant and dull it's borderline pathetic.

I don't think it's the players. It seems to be the playcalling at this point. I'm usually not one to blame the coaches, but this one is clearly on them.

Defense really did play great. Apart from one drive they played really well, and were in unfavorable field position nearly the entire game. This game was so boring I had more fun watching the St. Louis/Dallas game at the bar, and just rooted against the Cowboys because it's fun.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 01:42:09 PM »
TT and Mccarthy KNEW we needed a center badly, very badly.  They knew three years ago we needed a guard badly, very badly!  They knew we needed a Tight end last year!  Did we draft one? 

Why was Lacey sitting on the bench when he was our most effective runner.  What was Harris doing out there?  Was Starks injured?  Was Lacey Injured?

Does Datone Jones know how to raise his hands to block a pass?  When is the Nick Perry experiment going to be officially declared dead?

Packers are finding out what happened with Steelers and Bill Cowher.  You can only listen so long.  TT has blundered here on a couple of picks and it's coming back to bite them.  When you are picking later in the draft consistently, you cannot miss!  Perry, Jones, looking like huge misses.  Dare I mention Worthy in Rd 2 in 2012?

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 01:42:31 PM »
Gotta call out the coaches (and AR) on this one.  Once again, the Packers seemed to be half asleep throughout the game (other than the Clinton-Dix INT to the Lions' safety).  You can't keep playing "back on your heels" and expect different results.  This is on the coaches for not having the players fired up for the game.
Disagree. There is no such thing as players not being fired up for a game. This was a game against a division rival. If players aren't fired up, it is on the players.

My biggest issue was MM's playcalling.  I understand trying to establish the run, but when 7-8 of the first 10 plays are runs when AR is your QB is absurd--especially when you're playing the 2nd best run defense in the NFL and they have 4-5 players injured in their secondary!
Mostly agree, but we also need to know what changes Aaron made at the line before you can make a compelte analysis of the calls.

This philosophy also never really let AR get into a rhythm.  He was missing some open throws (like the 4th down to Nelson) and once again held onto the ball too long.  Shame on me for criticizing AR, but, when you're the highest paid player in the NFL (based on average yearly salary), you have to make those throws.
He does have to make the throws, but the OL has to be far better than it was. Hard to get into a rhythm when your OL is mostly doing turnstile impressions.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 01:50:54 PM »
Game's two biggest plays were the fumble return and the House-INT-safety. Can't blame the coaches for either. Our offense was bad but I dunno how much was playcalling and how much was Rodgers and the line not playing well. Hard game to watch but really not as bad as some of you are making it out to be.