May 19, 2019, 07:58:17 PM

Author Topic: Is that a bus rolling by? Let's throw Eddie Lacy under it!  (Read 12577 times)

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
Re: Is that a bus rolling by? Let's throw Eddie Lacy under it!
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2014, 08:31:09 PM »
Why did I say that?

For two reasons:

1.) Every back fumbles, I mean think of Ahman Green.

2.) Its easier to blame a RB than your OL or your own play calling.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2014, 08:33:51 PM »
Here is something else AR said in that same article;

"There's a lot missing," he said, when asked about the offense. "There's execution missing. We haven't been able to run the ball very well any of the three games and we just haven't executed as well as we have in the past in the passing game."
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 08:48:47 PM »
MM just stating the obvious that Lacy needs to play better.

MM previously stated Brad Jones did not have his best game in Seattle -- candidate for understatement of the year.

Interestingly, MM was asked about the play of #12, and he demurred. Wonder why?

Meanwhile, #12 was pretty direct in his (repeated) post-game comments about a failure to make in-game adjustments -- not a failure to execute, but instead a failure to make adjustments.

Don't think #12 was alluding to himself or Dom Capers when making the comments about adjustment failures.

Boom.

I'm disappointed in Aaron.  He needs to hold himself more accountable for his play.  I get that he's frustrated.  He should be.  But if, as Jennings and Drive said, he isn't going to take the blame for others' mistakes, and he shouldn't, then he should take blame for his play when it's warranted.  And right now, he's playing like ass.

Look at the quote LMG just provided.  He doesn't single himself out at all.

Why did I say that?

For two reasons:

1.) Every back fumbles, I mean think of Ahman Green.

2.) Its easier to blame a RB than your OL or your own play calling.

My point is that your response felt like a complete non-sequitur given the prior discussion.

1.  But you're making it seem as if the fumble was the sole reason for McCarthy's comments or for people like me saying Lacy is playing poorly.  I was the only one to mention his fumble, and even if Lacy didn't fumble, I'd still say, with fervor, that he's not playing well.

But as long as we are talking about the fumble:  it was a big one.  There's no denying that.  Fumbles are one thing.  Fumbles that turn into 6 are another.  Lacy doesn't seem to have a fumbling issue, and he's far more careful with the football than Green was, whose fumbling issues were exacerbated by the timing of them.

2.  Why do you read McCarthy saying that Lacy needs to play better as a means to excuse his offensive line or his play calling?

Guess what:  all three were bad on Sunday.  Yes, all three are imbricated, but that doesn't mean Lacy doesn't deserve to be called out for his poor play.  McCarthy was asked a question.  He responded with an understatement.

Let me put it this way, sweetie:  do you think Lacy is playing well?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:53:52 PM by big ror »
"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Offline robertgoulet

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 08:59:57 PM »
Everyone on this team needs to be better...coaches AND players

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 09:03:09 PM »
I'm disappointed in Aaron.  He needs to hold himself more accountable for his play.  I get that he's frustrated.  He should be.  But if, as Jennings and Drive said, he isn't going to take the blame for others' mistakes, and he shouldn't, then he should take blame for his play when it's warranted.  And right now, he's playing like ass.

He's definitely not playing too well right now...

But that being the case, look at the only time we've come close to winning a SB under McCarthy.  Rodgers was throwing lasers on broken plays to WR's practically out of bounds every other play to get us there.  Analysts were considering him an all-time great for making those plays in terrible situations (of course no one put him in that situation ::cue sarc flag:: )

When we finally got there he had to make even more ridiculous throws over the middle to keep us in it (multiple tight coverage throws barely an inch outside of the defenses grasps).  The only easy TD we got was the one where Jennings went to the sideline and told Aaron he'd be open on a double move.  They ran the play Jennings suggested and got a wide open TD.  Wish it didn't take a player to coach up the coaches

I'm sorry if it's not the preference of others, but MM had Favre and Rodgers back to back (most coaches don't sniff a Rodger or Favre level talent) and the only time he made a decent push in the playoffs that resulted in anything is when Aaron played out of his mind
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:05:04 PM by bbayley »

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 09:09:41 PM »
I'd say that 2007 was more than a decent push, but I get your point.  However, I think it speaks to how difficult it is to win in the playoffs.

But Rodgers didn't play out of his mind throughout the 2010 post-season.  He did against the Falcons and in the Bowl, but he was quite average (by his standards) against the Eagles and the Bears.

Also, you indirectly bring up a point that I think we should discuss further:  why aren't we seeing more designed rollouts?  What I think separates Rodgers from Brees, Brady, and Manning is his mobility and accuracy on the run.  Nobody throws as accurately as Rodgers on the run.  Why not play to that strength?  Rather than have it be a nice safety valve, incorporate it into the offense.

My dad has been asking me this for the past two seasons.  My response has always been:  yeah, I don't know.

They did a rollout last week against the Jets.  It went for a TD.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2014, 09:14:52 PM »
I'd say that 2007 was more than a decent push, but I get your point.  However, I think it speaks to how difficult it is to win in the playoffs.

But Rodgers didn't play out of his mind throughout the 2010 post-season.  He did against the Falcons and in the Bowl, but he was quite average (by his standards) against the Eagles and the Bears.

Point well taken.  Well put Big Ror

Also, you indirectly bring up a point that I think we should discuss further:  why aren't we seeing more designed rollouts?  What I think separates Rodgers from Brees, Brady, and Manning is his mobility and accuracy on the run.  Nobody throws as accurately as Rodgers on the run.  Why not play to that strength?  Rather than have it be a nice safety valve, incorporate it into the offense.

My dad has been asking me this for the past two seasons.  My response has always been:  yeah, I don't know.

They did a rollout last week against the Jets.  It went for a TD.

That's an interesting question.  I thought that's where Rodgers has looked the worst this year to be honest, though I don't know how many were designed and how many were just Rodgers wanting to roll out and extend the play.

I agree that's always been a strength of his, but this year he seems to be rolling as more of a 'trying to escape the rush' as opposed to looking through his first few receivers and not seeing one open.

I don't like the awkward run calls and the Rodgers missed passes one bit, but I feel like Aaron is trying to hit a home run on every play and it's dearly costing us this year

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2014, 09:18:18 PM »
Both McCarthy and Rodgers have a boner for the home run.  That's nothing new.  They tend to reign in their lofty expectations and adjust to what the defense gives them eventually.  That's why I'm not concerned about them getting things back on track.

The problem is that it has resulted in slow starts the past three years.

2011 has blinded their understanding of how an offense should work.

As for deliberate rollouts, the only one that comes to mind is the TD to Cobb against the Jets.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:23:03 PM by big ror »

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
Agreed.

I'm not a MM guy by any means (obviously pretty apparent) but the last time I was really wanting a new coach like this was 2010.  They struggled to get it going for the majority of the year but they seemed to figure out a plan that worked for everyone around week 15 (after being 7-7 or so).

Not hoping to go 7-7 again, but if a slow start makes everyone come together to find out what's wrong with the team I'll be 100% on board

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2014, 09:47:33 PM »
Both McCarthy and Rodgers have a boner for the home run.  That's nothing new.  They tend to reign in their lofty expectations and adjust to what the defense gives them eventually.  That's why I'm not concerned about them getting things back on track.

The problem is that it has resulted in slow starts the past three years.

2011 has blinded their understanding of how an offense should work.

As for deliberate rollouts, the only one that comes to mind is the TD to Cobb against the Jets.

I agree about 2011... Even hearing them say the words "playing the two shell defense" brings me back to 2012. That being said, I can't help but wonder about us being so conservative... I'm starting to wonder if the drops and miscues are in their heads right now. I don't know if MM and AR have much trust in anyone but Jordy. Hopefully like you said they will come back to earth and we will see more slants. Avoiding the issues won't fix them.

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2014, 10:40:41 PM »
McCarthy and Clements noted six drops that really hurt the offense and Rodgers' productivity.  That surprised me, as after the game, I didn't think:  drops doomed them.  They've had issues with drops in the past, and it was apparent.  I have yet to see someone post about drops in regards to why the offense looked so inept.  That's not to say drops weren't an issue; rather, it's to say it's an issue we've seemed to overlook.

Overall, I think this is another example of how the offense is struggling as a whole and why it's reductive to try and put the blame on one individual (for most of us here, McCarthy).

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2014, 12:39:15 AM »
Its a coach telling a player to get in gear.
Of course, when you want the coach fired, he's not entitled to say these things - but he's right.

"As NFL Network's Mike Mayock artfully pointed out Monday, the Lions gave Green Bay the opportunity to succeed on the ground in Week 3. Detroit regularly played four-man fronts, but the Packers got beat at the point of attack too often and Lacy wasn't good enough to make up for it. Success in the backfield will set up success for Aaron Rodgers. McCarthy's message through the media was clear: Lacy needs to start carrying his weight"

You'll note his comment doesn't mention a bus.

I have no problem with a player being called out, but really? Lacy? Of all people, his job has been the hardest.  I'm not sure how Mayor can say the Packers were beat the point of attack (the offensive line got blown out) and Lacy wasn't good enough to make up for it? So he is exempting the atrocities of this offensive line and saying Lacy should be able to just make it happen regardless of the blocking?  How many times has he been dodging a tackler while getting tthe hand off this year? How many tackles has he broken in the backfield because of failed blocks? A lot! On one play, sweep to the right side of the line, I think he broke 4 or 5 tackles behind the line just to make it back to the LOS. He has not lacked effort, he has made a couple of wrong reads in each game, but he hasn't lacked anything in the effort or talent department.  Some people bring up Starks YPC. But Starks has the luxury of also coming in later on fresh legs against tired defenses and has had some pretty amazing holds to hit. Lacy's hasn't had that luxury. It does him no favor running outside either. He isn't fast he is a power guy, getting the edge isn't his deal. That is a stupid statement by mayock. Only two guys in the past 20 years had the talent to make up for a non existent offensive line, Adrian Pederson and Barry Sanders. I'm sure Lacy is sorry he hasn't been able to work a miracle. This team needs some self reflection and I think a closed doors bitch session so they can call one another out in private and settle their disagreements. But Lacy is not the problem. His fumble is a fumble it happens, his trucking people also happens and if he got some decent blocking it would happen a lot more.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2014, 04:25:35 AM »
OK, the OL sucks this year. So, why? What has changed? LT: Bakhtiari, same as last year. LG: Sitton, same as last year. C: Linsley instead of EDS. So, it was going to be a center who had never played a snap in a real game. Is that the problem? RT: Lang, same as last year. RT: Bulaga/Sherrod. Both coming off injury. Remember, before the season began, many on here were saying the OL was the best they'd seen in years. Lacy has been hesitating instead of simply hitting a hole and bulling ahead. Perhaps its a lingering result of the second concussion in as many seasons. Maybe the OL suddenly has forgotten how to pass block. Maybe its that MM isn't calling plays that work. Instead of plays that will work. Whatever those are.

For those who are fixated on who is to blame for the safety in Detroit, if you're going to argue for a pass rather than a run in that situation, recall, the Packers tried that last year in Detroit- the result was Flynn getting sacked for a safety. Probably should have run the ball last year, and passed the ball this year. Yep, that would have worked.

What is wrong with the Packers offense? Rodgers isn't comfortable for some reason. His accuracy is off, he seems to be focusing almost exclusively on Nelson, and there is a noted lack of continuity/rhythm to the offense. So, is it playcalling or execution? If the players don't do their jobs, the play called is irrelevant. So, I'm on the side of execution. Just not of MM or TT. Or anyone else. Just the players doing what they're supposed to do. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2014, 04:27:04 AM »
MM just stating the obvious that Lacy needs to play better.

MM previously stated Brad Jones did not have his best game in Seattle -- candidate for understatement of the year.

Interestingly, MM was asked about the play of #12, and he demurred. Wonder why?

Meanwhile, #12 was pretty direct in his (repeated) post-game comments about a failure to make in-game adjustments -- not a failure to execute, but instead a failure to make adjustments.

Don't think #12 was alluding to himself or Dom Capers when making the comments about adjustment failures.

So, its acceptable for the QB to throw the coach under the bus? But if the coach states the obvious, then he's a jerk?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline get louder at lambeau

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2014, 04:29:33 AM »
How is this McCarthy throwing Lacy under the bus?
For the sake of argument, what more would you need to do to indeed throw a player under a bus?
Why can't Ted Thompson be the MVP of the NFL?