November 19, 2018, 10:00:05 AM

Author Topic: McGinn on Bears Rising Pack Falling ...  (Read 10544 times)

Offline Greg C

• Starter
Re: McGinn on Bears Rising Pack Falling ...
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 05:25:57 PM »
McGinn is much more balanced and reasonable in his podcast with Dunne.

McGinn plays the critical voice for the Journal.  I mean, who else on the beat is going to write that type of article?  I'm fine with that, as I don't want the beat to turn into an echo chamber.
I'm fine with it too. I don't think McGinn is bad, and I don't think he's anti-Thompson either. Sometimes he does put some goofy ideas out there, though, like when he ranked the Packers' most important players at the beginning of the season, and Clay Matthews came in at #4 with Mike Daniels at #2. But I do enjoy reading his breakdowns of the games every week.

As for the Bears, certainly they have done a nice job upgrading their offense (especially the O-line) but it's come at the expense of their defense. This was one of McGinn's dumber articles.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 07:41:30 PM »
McGinn wasn't the only guy crowing about the Bears and how they were gonna win the NFCN this year.  Some national media folks even touted Cutlet as an MVP candidate!   :o  Jay easily melts down and their D is worse than ours.  I'm SOOOOO glad Chicago has Cutlet and we have Rodgers!  Thanks Ted!!    8)

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 07:59:09 PM »
Jay Cutler has the best arsenal of weapons he has ever had.  Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett and Forte make a tremendous set of receivers.  What does this mean?  Nothing, because Jay Cutler is Jay Cutler.  He is now 1-9 against the Packers with his only win coming in a bizarre game where INTs were negated and the Packers were penalized 18 times.

Every year, it's the same old thing.  Jay Cutler is about to break out.  If only he had some weapons, if only he had some protection.  Well, he has it all now and the end result will not change.  He will throw for a lot of yards and he'll throw a ton of interceptions.  He'll also still have failed put up a QB rating of over 90 in his career.

He's kind of like the Rickie Weeks of football.  He's made a nice career and a lot of money off his "potential".

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 08:19:15 PM »
Jay Cutler has the best arsenal of weapons he has ever had.  Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett and Forte make a tremendous set of receivers.  What does this mean?  Nothing, because Jay Cutler is Jay Cutler.  He is now 1-9 against the Packers with his only win coming in a bizarre game where INTs were negated and the Packers were penalized 18 times.

Every year, it's the same old thing.  Jay Cutler is about to break out.  If only he had some weapons, if only he had some protection.  Well, he has it all now and the end result will not change.  He will throw for a lot of yards and he'll throw a ton of interceptions.  He'll also still have failed put up a QB rating of over 90 in his career.

He's kind of like the Rickie Weeks of football.  He's made a nice career and a lot of money off his "potential".
He was lucky to not throw more interceptions. Tramon Williams nearly had that pick that replay over turned. Sam Shields made a great play on that sideline pass to Alshon Jeffery. Jeffery did a real nice job of breaking that ball up. Micah Hyde nearly had that interception on that 4th down play. I think it may have been an INT, but winning the challenge would have resulted in a loss of field position...so obviously the Pack wouldn't challenge that.

Nice to see Jay Cutler already in mid/late season form this early in the season.

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 04:52:13 AM »

Many Bears fans did not want them to sign him to his new contract. Its clear to almost everyone except the Bears front office, Cutler will never be able to string together the games in the playoffs to make it to Super Bowl without choking.

Offline get louder at lambeau

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 04:59:23 AM »

Many Bears fans did not want them to sign him to his new contract. Its clear to almost everyone except the Bears front office, Cutler will never be able to string together the games in the playoffs to make it to Super Bowl without choking.

This shows how QBcentric the NFL is. Its not that Cutler is good, its just that he might be, someday, somewhere. There just aren't many other QBs that might be better, someday, somewhere. And in reaching to have THAT franchise QB, you take what's left. Chicago suffers from the same thing that half the NFL suffers from. Wanting to have a great QB too badly. 32 of them don't exist. We're lucky to have 2 of the top 10 over the last 20 years.
Why can't Ted Thompson be the MVP of the NFL?

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 06:18:54 AM »

This shows how QBcentric the NFL is. Its not that Cutler is good, its just that he might be, someday, somewhere. There just aren't many other QBs that might be better, someday, somewhere. And in reaching to have THAT franchise QB, you take what's left. Chicago suffers from the same thing that half the NFL suffers from. Wanting to have a great QB too badly. 32 of them don't exist. We're lucky to have 2 of the top 10 over the last 20 years.

You are right.  As bad as Cutler is, he's better than anything they've had since Favre started playing for the Packers.  Probably even before then.  Teams are willing to overpay competent starting QBs because they are terrified of having to find a new one.  It's not an easy thing to do.

I'm glad the Bears married Cutler because I don't think he has potential.  He's 31 years old and at this stage of his career, he is what he is.  I'm not saying McCown is a better QB than Cutler, but I really wonder how much the Bears front office thought about the way the two QBs performed in the same system last year. 

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 07:14:53 AM »
I'm not saying McCown is a better QB than Cutler, but I really wonder how much the Bears front office thought about the way the two QBs performed in the same system last year.

McCown is not starting caliber QB IMO... career backup and floundering in Tampa now.  He did well in Bears system last year with lots of weapons... probably similar to Flynn with Packers.  I do not see Flynn winning a Super Bowl with Packers, but very good backup to have when needed... McCown was the same for the Bears.

I also do not see Cutler winning a Super Bowl...  he at least has elite talent, but just seems to crack in big game under pressure (i.e. Packers and playoffs).

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 07:24:54 AM »
I'm not saying McCown is a better QB than Cutler, but I really wonder how much the Bears front office thought about the way the two QBs performed in the same system last year.

McCown is not starting caliber QB IMO... career backup and floundering in Tampa now.  He did well in Bears system last year with lots of weapons... probably similar to Flynn with Packers.  I do not see Flynn winning a Super Bowl with Packers, but very good backup to have when needed... McCown was the same for the Bears.

I also do not see Cutler winning a Super Bowl...  he at least has elite talent, but just seems to crack in big game under pressure (i.e. Packers and playoffs).

That's kind of the whole point.  If a career backup was able to outperform Cutler in the same system, how good is Cutler?  Like I mentioned earlier, Cutler has never put up a QB rating above 90 in a single season.  His career QB rating is 85, about 3 points below Matt Flynn's, another career backup.  85 is not very good these days.

I'm glad Chicago gave him all that money and I hope they continue to wait for him to "figure it out".

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 08:26:21 AM »

You just have to wonder if McCown was not just the perfect fit in Chicago. With all those weapons, an excellent RB and now they have an OL, they may have been better off using all the Cutler $$$ somewhere else.

Cutler reminds me of Romo. They have excellent games on occasion except when the game is really on the line, then they go out of their way to screw things up and lose the game.

Cutler needed to play perfect yesterday because Rodgers did. AND Cutler had some serious help from the officials.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 09:42:05 AM »
You just have to wonder if McCown was not just the perfect fit in Chicago. With all those weapons, an excellent RB and now they have an OL, they may have been better off using all the Cutler $$$ somewhere else.

McCown went 3-3 last year for Bears, 1 victory was vs 32 ranked Cowboys defense and another vs Packers without Rodgers.   Only good defense he beat was Baltimore (#12)... and he could not even beat the #31 rated Vikings defense.

If Bears had a better defense to support him, then I could see keeping him.  But I doubt Bears even sniff the playoffs with McCown and their present defense.  I think Cutler at least gives them outside chance at playoffs.

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 08:58:09 PM »
And the Bears fall to Carolina today..
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 05:37:20 AM »
Cutler is the ultimate tease.  He has a canon for an arm but not much else.  All of his talent is from the neck down.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 12:03:49 PM »
Boy the Bears sure must love making Hack look like a complete buffoon.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2014, 11:55:03 AM »
So, here we are again.  Bears down 38-7 against the Patriots.

Anybody still think the Bears have done better than the Packers with their recent personnel decisions? 

Another great article.  Thanks Bob.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."