August 18, 2019, 08:48:27 PM

Author Topic: Jeremy Ross  (Read 2384 times)

Offline get louder at lambeau

• HOF Member
Jeremy Ross
« on: October 06, 2014, 04:47:10 AM »
Wow the guy looks like Devin Hester. Don't get me wrong. I wanted him benched after his fumblitis, but I don't think anyone saw him as this much of a threat. Too bad we didn't take  a longer look at him.
Why can't Ted Thompson be the MVP of the NFL?

Offline B

• HOF Member
Re: Jeremy Ross
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 05:47:43 AM »
Wow the guy looks like Devin Hester. Don't get me wrong. I wanted him benched after his fumblitis, but I don't think anyone saw him as this much of a threat. Too bad we didn't take  a longer look at him.

Well actually, I did. Since Alden seems to think it is worthy of spending large amounts of time digging up evaluations I wrote that haven't panned out perfectly here is one I wrote while others were dismissing Ross and Boykins as worthless camp fodder.

A Tale of Two 40’s: Jarrett Boykin & Jeremy Ross

Packers’ WR Jarrett Boykin played BIG at Virginia Tech, surpassing former Packer Antonio Freeman and others to set the all-time Hokie records for receptions (184) and receiving yards (2,884). Before the combine his name was tossed freely as one of the name wide receivers coming out for the 2012 draft… and then just as suddenly it ended with his draft stock falling faster than Felix Baumgartner's extreme skydive ... when Jarrett turned in a TERRIBLE forty-yard dash time at the combine (4.74 worst and 4.69 average time).

By the time the Virginia Tech Pro Day happened, where Boykin was able to post a more respectable, but still pedestrian 4.57, it was too late and Boykin could not overcome the "slow" label that killed his draft prospects in the “speed kills” National Football League.

On the opposite end of the 40-yard dash ledger sits Packers’ WR/KR Jeremy Ross. Ross ran 4.39 coming out of High School; and raising eye-brows at the U of Cal Pro Day on March 9, 2011 by again posting a 4.39 mark in the 40-yard dash. Ross’s 40-yd time was the best mark of the day and would been tied for third best at the 2011 NFL Combine (which he was not invited to), tying Julio Jones’s 4.39, and besting Torrey Smith’s 4.43, Randall Cobb’s 4.46 ...

When Jeremy followed that impressive run by shining in the position drills – running good routes, quick in and out of his breaks and good burst out of his cuts, many scouts began to question why he didn’t play more as a receiver at Cal. At Cal, Ross finished 2nd to Deshawn Jackson’s all-time punt return record by averaging 15.2 per return, and also adding 201 yards rushing and 764 yards receiving.

Fast forward to today (Saturday, February 16, 2013), mid off-season, and it is time to update our evaluations of these two Packer receivers, who with Jennings’s possible departure could represent the #4 and #5 receivers on potent Green Bay Packers’ offense.

23 year old Jarrett Boykin, 6’2” 218 lbs, may not be fast (he will never take the top off of NFL defenses), but is very quick and athletic. As soon as he started running routes in camp, Packer defensive backs took notice, and quickly realized that this kid played much faster than the lack of speed rep that preceded his try out in Green Bay.  Boykin is quick off the line, is a flexible runner who can drop his weight with ease to break and separate from cornerbacks. Jarrett will never be a slot receiver, but is a good option in short and intermediate routes. He is physical downfield, adjusted to the ball well, and competes for every ball thrown his direction.

And then there are his HANDS. Not only does Jarrett suck in passes like a Oreck vacuum cleaners sucks up dirt, the size of his hands could get him a job in a freak show. One of his coaches affectionately called him Bear Claws, as his massive 10 1/4 inch hands tear through Nike XXXL gloves (the biggest they make) in every game he participates in. Jarrett did not get many opportunities from scrimmage in 2012, but when he did he made the most of them, catching every pass that he got his hands on and making his presence felt on the edge in the run game.

During training camp the Journal-Sentinel's Tom Silverstein wrote: "Day after day, practice after practice, a guy who continually catches every ball thrown to him is WR Jarrett Boykin. If there were an award for Mr. Consistency, the rookie from Virginia Tech would win it hands down (no pun intended)."

Jarrett Boykin does not have the speed to ever be that “go-to” dominant NFL receiver or to move into that slot. He is never going to be elusive after the catch, but if you don’t wrap him up he will run right through the arm tackles from smaller cornerbacks. Jarrett Boykin “is what he is,” a physical competitor who make the most of his abilities and fits in as an outside #4 receiver who will go up and get the ball in a crowd and will fool defenders with his quickness.

His head coach Frank Beamer said of Boykin: “Jarrett’s a quiet guy, but that’s good. He lets his play speak for itself… He works hard; he doesn't say much, he just produces.”

Jarrett says of himself: "I don't like the attention too much, because when people get caught up in the attention, that's when they start getting big-headed, start lacking focus and think everything's going to come easy. I've always had to work hard for everything. I look at myself as if I suck and I have something to prove. I just go out there and play every play like it’s my last one.”

Jeremy Ross, 6’ 215 lbs is in some ways Jarrett Boykin polar opposite. Whereas Jarrett came to the NFL an accomplished route runner with plenty of WR experience, Jeremy is loaded with raw undeveloped physical talent. They never quite figured out how to best realize his upside at California – where he ran, caught and returned (punts and kicks), Hell he even threw a touchdown pass, but Ross never really settled in to one area to develop his skills.  I’ve already written about his 4.39 40-yd dash time and equally impressive 20-yd and vertical numbers, but what really jumps out when you meet Jeremy is that he is built like a brick shit-house – who registered top all-time marks in multiple strength and conditioning activities among Cal receivers, including the power clean (352 pounds), bench press (350 pounds, tied for the school's top mark at his position), squat (500 pounds) and vertical jump (37.5 inches).

As quick as he is fast, the Packers could have a diamond in the rough that could make noise as a NFL return man and as a slot receiver if the Packers can coach him up to his enormous upside potential. Granted, upside potential has killed more coaches than Carter has liver pills, but you cannot manufacture natural size and speed.

Boykin and Ross both know that they are guaranteed nothing, and I have no idea if they will hold on their roster spots in 2013. What I can tell you is that both of these young men are coachable, and both will put it all on the line to keep developing and improving and fighting for every opportunity available.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 05:48:47 AM »
The only person I recall voicing anything like regret at the cutting of Ross was Mark. He wrote that although Ross was a liability as a returner, he had some upside as a WR. The rest of the board was glad to see him go. Now, suddenly, as usual, a former Packer has a good game, and we all wish he was a Packer. 20/20 hindsight.

Oh, and B, nice writeup. However, what was your opinion of Ross a a KR once the games counted? That is the question. Again, I can only remember Mark writing he thought the move was too harsh. And even MM said at the time he didn't think Ross' days as a Packer were over. Apparently, he didn't realize that the team to the west, in particular, has a habit of siging Packer castoffs.  And as far as respondng to Alden- really?  :o
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:54:09 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 05:57:00 AM »

Actually, I was (and remain) perfectly content with the decision made. Seemed more than warranted as Ross had failed at critical times on the big stage. Like an untrusted engine part, better to replace it than trust it on the next long journey. The fact the engine part still exists and is running in some other machine - totally contrary and outside my thinking on the GBP's decision. He didn't work out with the GBP. It happens.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 06:08:48 AM »

Actually, I was (and remain) perfectly content with the decision made. Seemed more than warranted as Ross had failed at critical times on the big stage. Like an untrusted engine part, better to replace it than trust it on the next long journey. The fact the engine part still exists and is running in some other machine - totally contrary and outside my thinking on the GBP's decision. He didn't work out with the GBP. It happens.

If Diogenes had met you, he would have had to find another quest. Refreshing post. Thank you.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 06:15:09 AM »

If Diogenes had met you, he would have had to find another quest. Refreshing post. Thank you.

Hmmmmm.....I'll have to Google that:
Definition: Context
Submeaning: Diogenes

:)

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 06:24:37 AM »
The only person I recall voicing anything like regret at the cutting of Ross was Mark. He wrote that although Ross was a liability as a returner, he had some upside as a WR. The rest of the board was glad to see him go. Now, suddenly, as usual, a former Packer has a good game, and we all wish he was a Packer. 20/20 hindsight.

Oh, and B, nice writeup. However, what was your opinion of Ross a a KR once the games counted? That is the question. Again, I can only remember Mark writing he thought the move was too harsh. And even MM said at the time he didn't think Ross' days as a Packer were over. Apparently, he didn't realize that the team to the west, in particular, has a habit of siging Packer castoffs.  And as far as respondng to Alden- really?  :o

I was not glad to see him go and never wrote anything like it. I am not going to spend time searching for the many things I wrote on the topic - including what an ideal threat he was as a slot receiver.

Further, I don't live in Regretland. TT decided it was time to move on and it was an understandable decision - regardless of what me, Mark or anyone else thought. I wished Jeremy luck when he was released and predicted he would have a NFL future. I just wish it wasn't with a divisional rival.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:27:18 AM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 08:21:18 AM »
I was not glad to see him go and never wrote anything like it.

No, you didn't. A quick check of some past posts pretty much showed you were in his corner, even when he muffed the punt vs. the 49ers...."It happens". Yes, it does. Good call. As a general note, everyone who frequents this site should know that B is a supporter of our guys and rarely, if ever, says bad things about them. Kudos to you B.

IMO, we put Ross into situations that were too big for him without letting him develop properly. Then when he made mistakes, we just pulled the plug and shipped him out. IMO, you need to let these guys play and get through the jitters. Ross looks like he is starting to really emerge as a returner. Green Bay should have kept him around.

I think our Kick returners are so bad that anytime the ball goes in the end zone, I want them to just down it and take it out to the 20 yard line. Better to just give it over to Rodgers and let him work his magic. Risk vs. Reward.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 08:29:29 AM »

Agree, Detroit is the perfect spot for Ross, Just like the Lions, when the big game Ross will fold like a box, just like the Lions. 

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 07:15:16 PM »
It's that 20/20 hindsight thing....