August 18, 2019, 08:25:25 PM

Author Topic: Offensive line musical chairs  (Read 2054 times)

Offline get louder at lambeau

• HOF Member
Offensive line musical chairs
« on: October 27, 2014, 09:29:50 AM »
Its Back

Why can't Ted Thompson be the MVP of the NFL?

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
Re: Offensive line musical chairs
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 09:38:22 AM »
Would have been fun to start this in the acceptable forum and see what happens.

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 09:39:49 AM »
Would have been fun to start this in the acceptable forum and see what happens.

I tried but my testicles were shocked.

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 09:52:36 AM »
No it's not.

The musical chairs offensive line involved them shifting people along the line:  for instance, putting Lang at RT when Bulaga would get hurt.  Having a backup right guard play right guard, thus preventing the other starters from moving out of their position, is the ideal situation if a lineman gets hurt.

The line and its injury issues have been the constant in all three losses.  At least the defense showed in Detroit.
"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:48:05 AM »
Assuming Lang is out for an extended period of time, this is my plan:

Since Bulaga has been struggling with athletic pass rushers as of late, move him inside to RG to take over for Lang.  Bakhtiari can take his spot at RT and will hopefully do a better job with the speed rushers.  Since a starter can't lose a job to injury, we are obligated to have Tretter take over for Linsley at Center.  It's a shame because I think Linsley has been doing a decent job at run blocking.  That's OK because we can get him back into the lineup on the left side, not at tackle though, he doesn't have the experience for that.  Sitton, on the other hand, does.  He knows the ropes and the transition should be seemless.  So put Sitton at LT and get Linsley back onto the field at LG:

LT: Sitton | LG: Linsley | C: Tretter | RG: Bulaga | RT: Bakhtiari

If Bulaga and Linsley struggle early on, swap them and give it a few games to see if it makes a difference.  If it doesn't, we could always replace one of them with Sherrod.  I know the original experiment flopped miserably but that was years ago and he was a first round pick, so its really just a matter unlocking his talent.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:49:28 AM by Beast Light »

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 10:51:49 AM »

Since Bulaga has been struggling with athletic pass rushers as of late, move him inside to RG to take over for Lang.  Bakhtiari can take his spot at RT and will hopefully do a better job with the speed rushers.  Since a starter can't lose a job to injury, we are obligated to have Tretter take over for Linsley at Center.  It's a shame because I think Linsley has been doing a decent job at run blocking.  That's OK because we can get him back into the lineup on the left side, not at tackle though, he doesn't have the experience for that.  Sitton, on the other hand, does.  He knows the ropes and the transition should be seemless.  So put Sitton at LT and get Linsley back onto the field at LG:

If Bulaga and Linsley struggle early on, swap them and give it a few games to see if it makes a difference.  If it doesn't, we could always replace one of them with Sherrod.  I know the original experiment flopped miserably but that was years ago and he was a first round pick, so its really just a matter unlocking his talent.

That scares me right there. Sitton at LT no thanks. Just plug Tretter in a RG and move on for now please.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 10:53:57 AM »

That scares me right there. Sitton at LT no thanks. Just plug Tretter in a RG and move on for now please.

I was kidding.  I tried to cook up an absurd scenario and lines of reasoning for displacing every single person on the OL.

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 10:59:01 AM »

I was kidding.  I tried to cook up an absurd scenario and lines of reasoning for displacing every single person on the OL.

I think its absurd too, but if you take a look at the last 6-7 years, its not a crazy as you think.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 02:51:11 PM »
Its Back

You mean players get hurt? Why didn't someone tell us this earlier? Thank goodness this hasn't happened elsewhere on the team. Like in the DB, or DL, or LBers...
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid