October 16, 2019, 01:13:05 PM

Author Topic: For the Pack to get to the NFC Championship game it all it will take ...  (Read 1661 times)

AldenRoche

(Ignoring the obvious like no big injuries to ARod, etc)

1) ARod will have to play as well as he has been (this is very realistic);

2) Lacy/the running game will have to revert to 2013 second half form (again this is not unrealistic);

3) The Oline will have to be healthy (Bulaga and now Lang are nicked up) because overall they have played well enough;

4) Jordy will have to continue to be Jordy, Cobb will have to continue to regain his 2012 form, Adams must continue to improve (again this all seems realistic), and another target must emerge (could this be Lacy?);

5) Someone will have to emerge at TE so the position is not so devoid of talent (could Bostick make it out of the doghouse? Otherwise, I see no other hope);

6) The Safety play will have to improve -- I see no reason that HHCD, and the combo of HHCD-Burnett, will not improve especially as, I hope, Hyde sees less and less time outside of special teams;

7) The OLBs must play better against the pass and especially the run (there should be no reason for this not to occur if Clay just returns to a semblance of his former self);

8) The DLine must be better against the run (as bad as it has been if D. Jones gets healthy and as Boyd, Pennell, and Guion get more time there is at least reason for hope;

9) The ILBs have to be at least passable (try as I might I just can't envision a scenario in which these guys are not exploited -- in the running game, and defending the pass (the thought of our ILBs on Forte, Sproles, and Gronk then next few weeks is beyond scary). This years's ILBs are last year's safeties. There just seems no hope for this group.

Think the Pack will go 6-2 the rest of the way and make the playoffs. Have a hard time seeing the team winning a playoff game unless the DLine and Safeties really pick up the play because ILB is hopeless.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
Re: For the Pack to get to the NFC Championship game it all it will take ...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 06:22:02 PM »
I think we can win it all with the offense we have, warts and all with the offensive line and no real deep threat.

The ONE thing that can carry us there is a consistent, dominant pass rush. That can cover up the inability of our inside linebackers to cover. That can put offenses on defense. The Giants pass rush carried them to 2 Super Bowl wins. Do we actually have that kind of talent? Yes and No. They certainly haven't done it yet, but there are enough guys who can consistently win to make that happen.

Likely? No! Possible? Yes.

I still think it's a 10-6 team that is borderline to make the playoffs given the NFC this year.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 06:44:11 PM »
No chance with this defense.  Rodgers can get us to the playoffs, Capers can ensure we dont go anywhere other then a possible low seed upset.  Playoff teams play Capers like a fiddle.  Teams good enough to make the playoffs lick their chops thinking of Capers defense.  He needs to go.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 05:27:38 AM »
I think what we saw Sunday night is how Clinton Dix gets exposed when he doesn't have Burnett's experience back there with him. 

Hyde is a gamer, but is inexperienced at safety, and as we frequently see doesn't have the speed to make up for slower reactions based on the lack of experience.  The safety play took a big step backward which allowed Brees the success with the shot plays.

It would help if Janis could learn the system and get Rodgers trust.  He's big, he's strong, he's quick, and he's fast.  If he can get his head in the game he could be the deep threat that Golfman referenced.

Can we do it with this defense?  Stranger things have happened.  They show flashes.  Let's not forget, they held New Orleans to 60 yds rushing in the first half last week.  Then the came out and stuffed New Orleans on 3rd and short, and then again on 4th and short.  That shifted the momentum to our favor but the offense went flat perhaps because of Rodgers injury.

To go deep in the playoffs, the defense needs to learn to put an entire game together on a consistent basis, and the offense needs to develop some of these new threats for Rodgers to exploit.  I am not counting on it, but I still think it is possible.  The team looks better to me now than it did at this point in 2010.  Remember, in 2010 most posters here wanted to write the season off  after Rodgers concussion in Detroit, meaning Flynn had to start in New England. 
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline get louder at lambeau

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 07:28:09 AM »
I think we can win it all with the offense we have, warts and all with the offensive line and no real deep threat.

The ONE thing that can carry us there is a consistent, dominant pass rush. That can cover up the inability of our inside linebackers to cover. That can put offenses on defense. The Giants pass rush carried them to 2 Super Bowl wins. Do we actually have that kind of talent? Yes and No. They certainly haven't done it yet, but there are enough guys who can consistently win to make that happen.

Likely? No! Possible? Yes.

I still think it's a 10-6 team that is borderline to make the playoffs given the NFC this year.

I agree against the pass but we have no answer against the run. This is what needs to change and I don't see that happening. However there are a lot of ways to go all the way, without having a run stuffing D.
Why can't Ted Thompson be the MVP of the NFL?