September 21, 2018, 11:01:49 PM

Author Topic: FIRE MIKE MCCARTHY  (Read 27518 times)

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
Re: FIRE MIKE MCCARTHY
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2014, 09:28:41 AM »

In modern day NFL history has any NFL coach ever asked a DE beat a CB on a slant route?  Mike Daniels is a tremendous athlete, maybe next week he'll put him on the outside and have him run the post.  WHEN it doesn't work out 100% of the blame can be put on Daniels for his head coach making a pee wee football type play call.  To take the responsibility for that ridiculous play call off McCarthy's shoulders is absolutely crazy.  There is likely a reason I can't ever remember a NFL coach calling a play which requires a 34 year old DE beat a CB on a slant route.  Maybe McCarthy is innovative and you'll start seeing NTs, DEs and DTs out running pass routes all over the NFL.  It might be the NFL's new version of the wildcat.

If that happened credit would go to Bill Obrien, not McCarthy.   McCarthy is just a copy cat.

Obrien has line him up on the outside against a CB?  The only catch I seen Watt make was in the back of the endzone on the playaction when he slipped through unconvered.  That is a far cry from requiring a DE to beat 2 NFL defenders.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2014, 09:31:57 AM »

In modern day NFL history has any NFL coach ever asked a DE beat a CB on a slant route?  Mike Daniels is a tremendous athlete, maybe next week he'll put him on the outside and have him run the post.  WHEN it doesn't work out 100% of the blame can be put on Daniels for his head coach making a pee wee football type play call.  To take the responsibility for that ridiculous play call off McCarthy's shoulders is absolutely crazy.  There is likely a reason I can't ever remember a NFL coach calling a play which requires a 34 year old DE beat a CB on a slant route.  Maybe McCarthy is innovative and you'll start seeing NTs, DEs and DTs out running pass routes all over the NFL.  It might be the NFL's new version of the wildcat.

If that happened credit would go to Bill Obrien, not McCarthy.   McCarthy is just a copy cat.

Obrien has line him up on the outside against a CB?  The only catch I seen Watt make was in the back of the endzone on the playaction when he slipped through unconvered.  That is a far cry from requiring a DE to beat 2 NFL defenders.

The bold part is what I was referring to. I should have noted the sarcasm. Lighten up.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 09:33:11 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline MrJuly4th

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2014, 09:53:44 AM »
Without Rodgers or Favre, McCarthy is 3-7-1 in the regular season.  McCarthy has never had to coach a playoff game without Rodgers or Favre.

This could be true with any NFL coach playing without stars on their team.  A really good QB can make any coach look really good. For example, Bill Belichick has amassed 187 regular season wins as a head coach. His teams have a record of 136-39 with Tom Brady as the starting quarterback. Without Brady, he's 51-65.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1560349-bill-belichick-or-tom-brady-who-deserves-more-credit-for-the-patriots-success

As for McCarthy being fired, it is a futile conservation.  IMHO, injuries have been a major factor for the lack of success over the past coupe of years.  Furthermore, I do not think TT has done an efficient job of supplying the defense with quality players to stop the run .. i.e. Defensive Line and ILB positions.  With Raji's injury it only shows our lack of depth on the line and how poor our ILB play the run. 

Offline Zyvlyn

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2014, 10:21:39 AM »
Without Rodgers or Favre, McCarthy is 3-7-1 in the regular season.  McCarthy has never had to coach a playoff game without Rodgers or Favre.

This could be true with any NFL coach playing without stars on their team.  A really good QB can make any coach look really good. For example, Bill Belichick has amassed 187 regular season wins as a head coach. His teams have a record of 136-39 with Tom Brady as the starting quarterback. Without Brady, he's 51-65.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1560349-bill-belichick-or-tom-brady-who-deserves-more-credit-for-the-patriots-success

As for McCarthy being fired, it is a futile conservation.  IMHO, injuries have been a major factor for the lack of success over the past coupe of years.  Furthermore, I do not think TT has done an efficient job of supplying the defense with quality players to stop the run .. i.e. Defensive Line and ILB positions.  With Raji's injury it only shows our lack of depth on the line and how poor our ILB play the run.

Exactly.  That's why measuring coaches based on wins and losses (which is how this topic started out) is flawed logic.  Your example shows that having a great QB mattered more than having a coach who is widely considered the best in the league when it comes to getting wins.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 10:22:24 AM by Zyvlyn »

Offline MrJuly4th

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2014, 10:27:17 AM »
We are in total agreement.   cheese)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 10:27:48 AM by MrJuly4th »

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2014, 04:19:09 PM »
In terms of wins and losses, McCarthy has done well in this league.   A lot of that has to do with his future HOF QB (who McCarthy recommended passing over in the draft in favor of Alex Smith) but it's not easily separated out.  Without Rodgers or Favre, McCarthy is 3-7-1 in the regular season.  McCarthy has never had to coach a playoff game without Rodgers or Favre.

I personally think of McCarthy as an above average, but not elite, coach.  A lot of this has to do with his inability to implement an effective counter to the cover-2, a series of poorly thought out challenges, his inability to groom a backup QB better than Matt Flynn, and his inexplicable love of having Kuhn run up the middle on 3rd and short (mercifully reduced since the arrival of Lacy).

For an above average coach, you don't fire him unless you can find someone better.  I personally think Rex Ryan is better, which I caught a lot of crap for, but other than him I don't forsee a ton of coaching talent immediately available.  So I won't be upset when McCarthy's contract is extended later this year.

Capers is a different story though.

Jim Harbaugh? That guy comes here we win a Super Bowl, you can bank on that!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 04:19:40 PM by golfman »
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2014, 04:23:41 PM »

I don't know about that.  They just lost to the Rams, so the 49ers are digging a big hole for themselves with 2 games left against the Seahawks.  I would say his team is underachieving this year.  Personally, I think the shine is coming off Harbaugh, as he has done well with a loaded team before.  Now with a few players out, not so great.

I would want his defensive coordinator though.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2014, 04:28:25 PM »

I don't know about that.  They just lost to the Rams, so the 49ers are digging a big hole for themselves with 2 games left against the Seahawks.  I would say his team is underachieving this year.  Personally, I think the shine is coming off Harbaugh, as he has done well with a loaded team before.  Now with a few players out, not so great.

Look at how many superstars are sitting out injured, suspended or what not. Look at his QB. Kaepernick is not elite, only when we play him. Look at Harbaugh history when he goes to a team. They immediately become winners. Our team would play physical immediately and tough defense. You do those two things for Rodgers, it's Lombardi time.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Zyvlyn

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2014, 05:18:43 PM »

Look at how many superstars are sitting out injured, suspended or what not. Look at his QB. Kaepernick is not elite, only when we play him. Look at Harbaugh history when he goes to a team. They immediately become winners. Our team would play physical immediately and tough defense. You do those two things for Rodgers, it's Lombardi time.

As much as I think he's an ass personally, he does seem like a great coach who players respond to.  I guess this means you believe the rumors that he's on his way out of SF?  I personally have my doubts about that, but I've been wrong before.

AldenRoche

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2014, 05:32:00 PM »
Harbaugh is a jerk and he wears out his welcome everywhere he goes.

He is also a tremendous football coach. Remember, Bill Belichek is not exactly known as Mr. Warm and Fuzzy.

Anyway, the whole discussion is academic because MM is not going anywhere and, even more importantly, there is no way TT would ever hire a coach with a personality like Harbaugh. No way.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2014, 07:40:54 AM »
In terms of wins and losses, McCarthy has done well in this league.   A lot of that has to do with his future HOF QB (who McCarthy recommended passing over in the draft in favor of Alex Smith) but it's not easily separated out.  Without Rodgers or Favre, McCarthy is 3-7-1 in the regular season.  McCarthy has never had to coach a playoff game without Rodgers or Favre.

I personally think of McCarthy as an above average, but not elite, coach.  A lot of this has to do with his inability to implement an effective counter to the cover-2, a series of poorly thought out challenges, his inability to groom a backup QB better than Matt Flynn, and his inexplicable love of having Kuhn run up the middle on 3rd and short (mercifully reduced since the arrival of Lacy).

For an above average coach, you don't fire him unless you can find someone better.  I personally think Rex Ryan is better, which I caught a lot of crap for, but other than him I don't forsee a ton of coaching talent immediately available.  So I won't be upset when McCarthy's contract is extended later this year.

Capers is a different story though.

I don't agree.  Jim Harbaugh is the type of personality that could blow up a team and in the wrong way.  He's got one of the bigger egos in all of football (on both levels) and some super stars would just assume run him over with their car than play hard for him.  He's a loose cannon that i would want no business coaching Green Bay. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:41:47 AM by SSG »
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2014, 09:39:15 AM »
Harbaugh will be coaching Michigan next year.

That fate was more or less sealed when their AD resigned last week.
"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2014, 10:43:22 AM »
his brother John is a great coach. jim is flawed in my opinion...
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline get louder at lambeau

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2014, 10:55:40 AM »
Harbaugh will be coaching Michigan next year.

That fate was more or less sealed when their AD resigned last week.

The AD resigned for many reasons. That was not in the top 5. As a resident of the Ann Arbor area, I hope you are right though.
Why can't Ted Thompson be the MVP of the NFL?

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2014, 11:02:16 AM »
Bruce,

I'm not exactly sure what those stats you post are supposed to prove, but it didn't work, at least for me. He's barely above 500 in playoff games and the wins are a direct result of longevity, nothing more. He's got a nice winning percentage because of 2 things: blessed with franchise QB's his entire tenure, he plays in the same division as Chicago, Detroit and Minnesota.

What your stats have proven is the man is mediocre, at best! If you're OK with that, that's great. I'm not, I want to win more Super Bowls!
Complete BS. By your idioitc logic, Bill Bellichek is a mediocre coach because of longevity and a franchise QB, along with playing the jets, Bills and Dolphins.   Sean Payton is a mediocre coach because he was blessed with a franchise QB and plays in the weak ass NFC South.

It's plainly obvious you are simply a troll with an agenda of trying to discredit McCarthy on everything. Nothing more.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:07:34 AM by cpk1994 »
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith