November 20, 2018, 04:05:01 PM

Author Topic: Niners out of playoffs?  (Read 8623 times)

AldenRoche

Niners out of playoffs?
« on: November 02, 2014, 05:56:01 PM »
SF has road games at New Orleans (next Sunday) and Seattle and home games against Seattle, San Diego, and Arizona (final game of season) left. The Niners offense is in shambles.

I expect the 49ers to lose at least 2 more games and do not think 10-6 will be good enough to get into the playoffs unless they beat the Seahawks twice and thus tie the Seahawks and keep them out of the playoffs.

In any case, the Seahawks or the Niners not making the playoffs would be good for the Pack. Neither of them making it would be even better,

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
Re: Niners out of playoffs?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 06:05:08 PM »
Not sure anymore 10 wins won't get you in the playoffs. Eagles probably lose Foles for balance of the regular season at least with what appears to be a collarbone. They'll lose a lot without him. Dallas is reeling with Romo having two small fractures in his lower back. We're talking about 5 spots for seven teams in Dallas, Philly, Detroit, GB, Arizona, Seattle and San Francisco.

I wouldn't count on Arizona collapsing and either Philly or Dallas have to be in and probably the other one is out. That would leave 3 spots for Det, GB, SF, and Seattle. Also, highly likely at this point the winner of the North will draw the #2 seed.

"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 06:17:56 PM »
Its way too early to count out SF. Remember, a few short weeks ago, the Patriots were done, and there was talk of Brady ending his career with another team. Detroit is winning by gosh and by golly at this point. Seattle and Denver were the prohibitive favorites to repeat. Anyone want to bet that Denver makes it past NE if they face each other in the playoffs? What we should be looking for is the team that enters the playoffs "on a  roll". I'll reiterate: never mind the season records, what team beat which, or home field. Look for the team that's  thumbsup).
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 04:33:15 AM »
This is really kind of surprising.

If I were to update my midseason surprises thread I would probably add SF now.

I am beginning to think maybe SF should not have gotten rid of Smith.  I mean I know the argument, that Smith was a game manager type and Colin K had the upside.  But, so far where is the upside.  Ben R had thrown for 6 TD's in two games.  What has Colin K done? SF also got rid of Colt McCoy.  I think he would have helped also.

All in all, considering the injuries, FA losses, and suspensions, the defense has been OK.  But the offense has been really below par.  I don't know why they got away from the read option as they did.  Colin K is a natural at it.

That division is surprising.  Most people think its the best, and  I mean the Cards are pretty much in control now.  They are playing well. I thought they would be good, but not this good.

The Seahawks had a nail biter with the Raiders yesterday.  The winless Raiders.  Hmm. Go figure.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 04:37:09 AM »
Unfortunately for us Colin K is an average QB who only looks all world against us.  I pray their slide continues so come January we may not have to concern ourselves with that team if we are in the playoffs.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 05:56:37 AM »
The NFL is trying their best to impose "parity" on the league, and it seems they are achieving their goal. But just as its too early to count out SF, or Seattle (which, Gregg neglected to add, were playing at home) or the Packers or even the Lions (though wishful thinkers are already predicting a second half Lions collapse).

Nor is it time to hope that SF and Seattle don't make the playoffs because the Packers can't beat them. It seems as if the blowout game from three seasons ago in SF is the measuring stick, though the Packers came very close to beating the '9ers the last time they had a playoff game. And the Seahawks are looking very vulnerable after a strong start.

What will happen next week? There will be another week of football, where the unexpected and expected and the surprising and shocking occur. What will be interesting is the reaction on the board to the Packers game. A win, and everyone will feel the Packers are on a roll, and the playoffs are all but clinched. A loss, and the sky will be falling and human sacrifices will be needed to correct the situation.

Personally, I'm with AR: R-E-L-A-X. Its a short season that we anticipate for months. Enjoy the spectacle. Because it will be over all too soon. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 06:30:05 AM »
I have not watched the game, but at NFL board I visit for information on other teams, the SF fans are upset over several calls in the game.  Anyone watch the games and have any input...

If I have time, I may try and watch it this week.

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 09:43:46 AM »
The 49ers have no identity.  Or, more accurately stated, they no longer embody the identity that resulted in their winning ways.

They were a team that would play great defense and pound the rock; Kap would make the occasionally play.

Due to all their defensive injuries, they are no longer as good on that side of the ball.  Moreover, they're gotten away from the run game, though they've also suffered some injuries along the offensive line.
"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Offline raptorman

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 02:42:11 PM »
I have not watched the game, but at NFL board I visit for information on other teams, the SF fans are upset over several calls in the game.  Anyone watch the games and have any input...

I watched the game. And the Niners have no one to blame but themselves. They didn't take care of the ball. They couldn't stop or even slow down the Rams pass rush. As to the supposed bad calls, they went both ways.  If you take care of the ball, and win the game hands down you don't have to worry about the calls. The refs did not change the outcome of this game.  Ask the Niners, why is it that Gore did not touch the ball on the last drive?  One of the best backs in the league and you don't give him the ball at the one yard line?  The Niners had 4 chances from inside the Rams 5 yard line and couldn't get it done.
Something new coming soon!

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 02:56:10 PM »
This doesn't surprise me.  I was in arguments with other posters this summer because I thought they wouldn't be that powerful this year.  The 49ers were starting down from a personnel standpoint, plus they had what I thought was one of the toughest schedules in the NFL.  Add in the Harbaugh drama, a few key holdouts, and the Smith suspension, and it is a recipe for disappointment.

I thought 9-7 was realistic for them, and I still do.  Last summer I thought the first half of their schedule was the worst part, but now the next 8 weeks doesn't look much better.  They do get Aldon Smith back now, so that will make things better for them, but the offense really needs something.  Stevie Johnson has to be a disappointment.  Gore remains a good back, but can he put the team on his back and carry them for the next 8 weeks?

I don't know if they miss the playoffs, but I thought during the summer it was a distinct possibility, and so far they are right on schedule.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 03:37:50 PM »

I watched the game. And the Niners have no one to blame but themselves. They didn't take care of the ball. They couldn't stop or even slow down the Rams pass rush. As to the supposed bad calls, they went both ways.  If you take care of the ball, and win the game hands down you don't have to worry about the calls. The refs did not change the outcome of this game.  Ask the Niners, why is it that Gore did not touch the ball on the last drive?  One of the best backs in the league and you don't give him the ball at the one yard line?  The Niners had 4 chances from inside the Rams 5 yard line and couldn't get it done.

Thanks...   hope I have time to watch game tomorrow.

AldenRoche

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 01:45:01 PM »
Too bad the Niners got lucky in NO.

With that running game and if Aldon Smith, Bowman, and/or Wills come back, I just don't see the Pack being able to beat the Niners as the teams are presently constructed.

On the plus side, we likely would not have to go on the road to NO in the playoffs if we win the NFC North now that the Saints have already lost 5 games.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 02:11:18 PM »
Too bad the Niners got lucky in NO.

With that running game and if Aldon Smith, Bowman, and/or Wills come back, I just don't see the Pack being able to beat the Niners as the teams are presently constructed.

On the plus side, we likely would not have to go on the road to NO in the playoffs if we win the NFC North now that the Saints have already lost 5 games.

I still consider the 49ers dangerous. They can still have some bad games but they are dangerous. Boldin had a terrible game, dropped like 3 passes and they still pulled it out.

I don't think they can make it to the Super Bowl this year but they can go pretty deep.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

AldenRoche

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 02:14:05 PM »
I don't see the Niners winning the Niners either.

I do see them beating the Packers, again, should we face them this season.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 03:57:36 PM »
Not so fast on those 9ers. Arizona looks like they just lost Carson Palmer for a long time with a knee.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "