March 25, 2019, 03:26:12 AM

Author Topic: Nick Perry/Datone Jones  (Read 3218 times)

AldenRoche

Nick Perry/Datone Jones
« on: December 18, 2014, 09:59:05 PM »
Is it unreasonable to expect more than what we have seen from our 2012 and 2013 1st round picks?

Datone has 1 sack, 2 tackles for loss, and well that is all.

Nick has 3. sacks, or .5 fewer sacks than Guion - a free agent no one wanted (though TT shrewdly signed him at a bargain price).

Perry apparently has a bad shoulder. In previous years he had a bad wrist, knee, and foot I believe. He has played in 30 of a possible 46 games during his career (though 13 of 14 this season)/

Jones sprained his ankle, again.

To be honest, I think Perry is the 4th OLBer including Clay and Jones has had about the same impact as Josh Boyd.

Methinks Perry will be the second straight 1st rounder whom the Pack declines to exercise their option on. Unfortunately, Jones is trending he same way.

If we are ever to see the supposed talent that led these 2 L.A. college stars to be first round picks the next month would be a great time to start.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
Re: Nick Perry/Datone Jones
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
It is very unfortunate that these 2 kids can't stay healthy.  The little we've seen of them they've shown promise but they do us no good on the trainer's table.   :-\

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 01:06:37 AM »
Should have never drafted them. They stink.

The only Packer helmet they should wear is this:

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 10:46:12 AM »

Nonsense.  They don't stink.  They just have trouble staying on the field.  When Perry was not dinged up it was no accident our D improved with him on one side and Clay inside.  Jones seems to be one who can rush the passer when he's healthy.

BTW, I can't see this image you posted.

AldenRoche

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 08:25:07 PM »

Well I would not say Perry & D. Jones stink like Sherrod or J. Harrell but if you think they do that is certainly your prerogative.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 10:22:24 PM »

Well I would not say Perry & D. Jones stink like Sherrod or J. Harrell but if you think they do that is certainly your prerogative.

We never really knew if Harrell stunk either because he never played much.  Sherrod was a bust however.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 02:29:06 AM »
I wont speak to Perry - but think it a tough nut to assign the "bust" label to D. Jones - in so much as it implies he's talentless (in my mind anyway).
Draft picks can go south due to injury - happens fairly frequently actually - but it would be hard to declare Jones a bust in so much as he came from a top college program -
UCLA was it not? Could be wrong, but I'm thinking it was UCLA - or maybe thats Franklin I'm thinking of.... - there's plenty of tape on him -  so his "foundation" talent can easily be assessed / evaluated.

Has he played to my own hope? No. When drafted I saw a that top notch pass rush threat opposite CM. For whatever reasons, thats not happened.

Offline Sanguine Camper

• Rookie
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 05:25:12 AM »
A bust is somebody who doesn't contribute at a level expected of their draft status.
If you are too fragile to consistently play then a player won't
Contribute very much and be a bust. A lot of guys look like superman
In shorts but are busts because they are always in the tub.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 05:54:14 AM »

We never really knew if Harrell stunk either because he never played much.  Sherrod was a bust however.

Both injury cuts. Harrell had a history of injuries, and TT took a chance at getting a bargain. The dice came up "snake eyes". Sherrod wasn't very good when he got some chances early, but then again Tauscher and Clifton took a while to develop. Then the devastating leg injury that kept him out for over two years. He never recovered from that. Tony Mandarich was a bust of monumental proportions, especially since Barry Sanders was selected by Detroit two slots later, I believe. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline gryphon99

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 10:02:27 AM »

Both injury cuts. Harrell had a history of injuries, and TT took a chance at getting a bargain. The dice came up "snake eyes". Sherrod wasn't very good when he got some chances early, but then again Tauscher and Clifton took a while to develop. Then the devastating leg injury that kept him out for over two years. He never recovered from that. Tony Mandarich was a bust of monumental proportions, especially since Barry Sanders was selected by Detroit two slots later, I believe.

Mandarich was followed by three Hall of Famers: Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas & Deion Sanders.

Offline Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 10:09:40 AM »

I still get angry at that Mandarich draft.  Mandarich was taken #2 after Troy Aikman.  Four of the first five picks in that draft are in the Hall of Fame.  #3-5 were Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, and Deion Sanders.  In that first round, there were also eight Pro Bowlers taken including Trace Armstrong, Eric Metcalf, Steve Atwater, and Andre Rison.  Ton of talent in that draft, and Mandarich wound up as arguably the biggest bust in NFL history.