November 25, 2020, 08:39:00 PM

Author Topic: First 2013 Mock  (Read 11729 times)

Offline Eric

• Second String
First 2013 Mock
« on: December 06, 2012, 02:41:17 PM »
Assuming a comp 4 and comp 5 for Wells and Flynn.  Assuming Jennings leaves without a trade.
I think Jesse Williams would make a perfect replacement for Pickett, rotating in 2013 and fully in 2014.
Like Zach Ertz a lot.  Joseph Randle and Lane Johnson too.

1 - Tyler Eifert TE Notre Dame - Total package.  Great hands and body control.
2 - Robert Woods WR USC - Trade up.  Great athlete and route runner.  Perfect replacement for Jennings.
4 - Gabe Jackson G Miss St - Good size and athleticism.
4 - Christine Michael RB Texas A&M
5 - Abry Jones DL Georgia - Big and strong.  Rotation player.
5 - Mike Taylor LB Wisconsin - Tackling machine.
6 - Matt Summers-Gavin G Cal
7 - Josh Johnson CB Purdue

Offline Dubz41

• All Pro
  • Government Cheese
Re: First 2013 Mock
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
I like it for the most part.  I'm leary of USC receivers.  Doesn't seem like there are many success stories out of them over the past few years.  He does seem Jennings-esque.
 Love the Mike Taylor pick, he's a poor man's Sean Lee.  Not great measurables, but alot of heart--all football player!  Josh Johnson will look good on our PS next year.  hatsoff)
It's not what he doesn't know that bothers me. It's what he knows for sure that just ain't so!-Will Rogers

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 01:48:58 PM »
It isn't that I'm not an Eifert fan, I just think that the team has too many holes to be drafting a tight end in the first round.

Top of my head, bigger concerns lie on the offensive line, linebacker, wide receiver and running back positions.

If it comes down to it and Eifert is BPA, I hope we trade down and accumulate draft picks.  IMO.

Offline Drew the Draft Guru

• All Pro
  • Twitter: @DraftHobbyist
    • DraftHobbyist's NFL Draft Site
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 01:50:16 PM »
It isn't that I'm not an Eifert fan, I just think that the team has too many holes to be drafting a tight end in the first round.

Top of my head, bigger concerns lie on the offensive line, linebacker, wide receiver and running back positions.

If it comes down to it and Eifert is BPA, I hope we trade down and accumulate draft picks.  IMO.

I think you are forgetting the most important thing about the draft: Get a good player.
I AM NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH DREW BOYLHART!!

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 01:57:55 PM »

I think you are forgetting the most important thing about the draft: Get a good player.
There will be plenty of "good players" available.  I'd rather have multiple good players (if the picks turn out) than one Eifert.  Especially with Quarless, Williams,Crabtree and Taylor already on the roster.

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 05:48:20 PM »

There will be plenty of "good players" available.  I'd rather have multiple good players (if the picks turn out) than one Eifert.  Especially with Quarless, Williams,Crabtree and Taylor already on the roster.

Then maybe we should load up on 7th round draft picks, right? We could get like 32 of them if we trade down enough. My point is that you have been pretty heavily against Eifert even though you seem to think he's a good player yourself, and he would actually fill a need (because I'm not totally opposed to drafting needs) if Finley leaves with Quarless coming off an injury and none of the TE's really doing enough to prove they can be a #1 TE.

Antonio Andolini

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 08:32:33 PM »
If we take a TE in the 1st rd he better be a special player, there are other more important holes to fill on this roster than losing an under producing Finley

• All Pro
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 09:06:10 PM »
If we take a TE in the 1st rd he better be a special player, there are other more important holes to fill on this roster than losing an under producing Finley

This I can agree with and I think Eifert is a special player. Actually, I think Eifert will be gone by the time we pick anyways.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 05:15:06 AM »
I really like the players draft, but am of the ilk we still need another pass rusher to make our defense work. I think Finley is down the road with his contract number next year so Eifert makes sense. I'd love Woods, but don't think he makes it into round 2 in a weak draft, but I could be wrong. If he's gone I'd love Nico Johnson from Alabama there. He's going to be a 3 down inside linebacker like the kid on San Fran from Penn St.

The pass rusher may come from the group of rookies we have playing extensively this year in Moses, Perry, Worthy and Daniel.

"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline 246 toothpicks

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 11:23:31 AM »
I like it for the most part.  I'm leary of USC receivers.  Doesn't seem like there are many success stories out of them over the past few years.  He does seem Jennings-esque.
 Love the Mike Taylor pick, he's a poor man's Sean Lee.  Not great measurables, but alot of heart--all football player!  Josh Johnson will look good on our PS next year.  hatsoff)
A very poor man's Sean Lee. Lee is one of the best coverage LB's in the NFL. Taylor struggles mightily in coverage from what I've seen watching him. Lotta heart and a player like you said, but he lacks speed imo and seems to be injury prone. He went to my high school so I'm pulling for him.

Offline 246 toothpicks

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 01:25:52 PM »

This I can agree with and I think Eifert is a special player. Actually, I think Eifert will be gone by the time we pick anyways.
I like Eifert and think he will be a very good TE in the NFL, but I like Ertz just as much if not a tad more. IMO, there isn't much separation btw. the two. I think Ertz has slightly more upside. I'd rather take an OT like Aboushi in 1 and come back with Ertz in 2. jmo.

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 06:41:08 AM »

Then maybe we should load up on 7th round draft picks, right? We could get like 32 of them if we trade down enough. My point is that you have been pretty heavily against Eifert even though you seem to think he's a good player yourself, and he would actually fill a need (because I'm not totally opposed to drafting needs) if Finley leaves with Quarless coming off an injury and none of the TE's really doing enough to prove they can be a #1 TE.

Yah, that was exactly my point.  You nailed it there.
How can I be "pretty heavily" against a player when we haven't even had a All-Star game?  Or Combine?  All this speculation is just that speculation.

And my option, which is as relevant as yours on this topic, is that I would rather not take a tight end in the first round as there are other larger holes that need to be filled.  You don't agree.  Fine.

My opinion is that tight ends can be found later in the draft.  Fedorawicz (sp) and Fauria are names of guys have mentioned as not first round guys.  Nothing wrong with taking a guy to be groomed. 

Offline Eric

• Second String
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 09:16:57 AM »
If Fiedorowicz enters the draft, I think he'll be the first TE taken.

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 10:13:30 AM »
If Fiedorowicz enters the draft, I think he'll be the first TE taken.
Is he that good?  Someone on here pointed out his name to me, and Fauria's.  I can't wait to see their combine.  And to be fair, I can't wait to see Eifert's combine too.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 02:05:45 PM »

[/quote]

Except that Eifert is a TE and for a team that doesn't have a lot of needs TE is pretty low on the list. Finding a better backup QB is more important than finding ANOTHER tight end, that should put things into perspective. I have always been on the side that you can find players like Finley later in the draft and develop them. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have another vertical threat at TE (it would be awesome,) but I don't see that in Eifert. He might be more of a downfield threat in college, but this is the NFL everybody is fast. I see him as a Heath Miller kind of TE, which isn't bad, but not really what Green Bay needs. Hell, it doesn't even fit their style of offense.

I am never opposed to drafting a WR in the second round. TT has shown time and time again that he gets it right on the money, though, maybe this is the year we have a 2nd round bust.

First round NEEDS to be a big guy. NT or OL are the biggest needs.