September 24, 2018, 08:03:30 AM

Author Topic: 2013 Mock 1.0 5 rounds  (Read 6508 times)

68MD

2013 Mock 1.0 5 rounds
« on: December 07, 2012, 05:19:31 PM »

I do it for fun... but do it from now until draft day . Thought I would share here :

Round 1 ~  Barrett Jones, G/C/OT, Alabama 6'4 305

Barrett Jones can play four positions up front and provide needed depth. Keeping #12 healthy is priority #1

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twZyOLrF4SQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twZyOLrF4SQ</a>

Round 2 : Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford 5'11 208 4.58 speed

Getting a solid RB is a must, Taylor has a nice mix of quickness and strength. He has three-down back ability as well. Playing in a pro style O is a plus.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD_ucs2_ve0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD_ucs2_ve0</a>

Round 3 : Sean Porter, OLB, Texas A&M  6'2 230

More pass rush needed, Porter is a seek-and-destroy defender who flies around the field chasing down ball-carriers. His biggest strength is his ability to rush the quarterback off the edge. Porter plays well in space and is not a liability dropping into pass coverage, although he is a much bigger difference-maker rushing the quarterback.

Round 4 : Baker Steinkuhler, DT/DE, Nebraska  6'6 290

Steinkuhler has 43 tackles, 6.5 tackles for a loss and 2.5 sacks this year. A bring your lunch pail guy that plays hard and tackles up front. We need one

Round 5 : Brian Winters, OT, Kent State  6'5 310

A LT that we need should Sherrod and Datko not pan out.... he has a huge upside. Could see rounds 4/5 flip and Winters go first.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
Re: 2013 Mock 1.0 5 rounds
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 05:49:22 PM »
2 thoughts

1. Barrett Jones looks like he's about 12 year old.

2. I thought Brian Winters was a 2-guard who could really shoot the 3? Also looks like he's put on about 210 pounds!
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Antonio Andolini

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 08:36:56 PM »
Hey we need someone to drain 3 pointers for us with Crosby's struggles!  ;D

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 05:10:16 AM »
Hey we need someone to drain 3 pointers for us with Crosby's struggles!  ;D

Now that was funny! I was wondering if that would get lost on some of the younger posters among us!

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wintebr01.html

Offline gbfaninaz

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 07:40:11 AM »
A guy I'd love to have is Eddie Lacy. Great balance, vision, power and enough speed. Hard to get on the ground, always getting yards after contact and turning nothing into big plays.
Kinda like we haven't had in years.

Offline 246 toothpicks

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 12:00:48 PM »
I like Cooper more than I do Jones, howeer I have a feeling Cooper will be gone before we pick. I like T, Oday Aboushi from Virginia. We need to get the T position solved and taking Aboushi would be a step in that direction. Don't know what we can expect out of Sherrod. Hopefully good things. I'm not a Newhouse supporter, I think he's best suited as a back up. I would like to see TE, Zack Erts in the second round.

1. Aboushi
2. Ertz

Offline Dubz41

• All Pro
  • Government Cheese
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 06:41:20 AM »
Just watched the A&M- Bama game again, was a Jones advocate-not anymore.  He looks like a larger version of Saturday.  Watching him lean on people and not move anyone.  He was usually standing up watching the end of the play.  Just looked average and played very soft.  Great kid, but almost too nice to handle the jungle of the NFL. IMO :o
It's not what he doesn't know that bothers me. It's what he knows for sure that just ain't so!-Will Rogers

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 06:45:17 AM »
Just watched the A&M- Bama game again, was a Jones advocate-not anymore.  He looks like a larger version of Saturday.  Watching him lean on people and not move anyone.  He was usually standing up watching the end of the play.  Just looked average and played very soft.  Great kid, but almost too nice to handle the jungle of the NFL. IMO :o
I want to like Jones so bad.  On paper he looks perfect.  Can play any position.  Started all his career at a big time program and played against big time talent.
Yet he looks soft.
I want to think that he is like a "Pouncey", but I don't see the athletic ability.  I want to see some Stephen Wisnewski (that one is for you, Gregg!!), with the quick feet and hand jab, but it just isn't there.

So, label me skeptical about him.

Offline Mayor McCheese

• Rookie
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 02:36:58 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.  I'm no draft expert.  I've seen Jones' name pop up as the best center(?) in the draft, so I decided to concentrate on him during this game.  I don't know if it was just Alabama's style of play, or if it was Jones', but all I saw was him 'wall' people off.  I didn't see many pancakes or drive blocks.  Again, if this all he's suppose to do in their system, that's fine; but it makes it hard to judge (to my untrained eye) what his true talent level is.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:51:54 PM by Mayor McCheese »

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 06:14:09 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.  I'm no draft expert.  I've seen Jones' name pop up as the best center(?) in the draft, so I decided to concentrate on him during this game.  I don't know if it was just Alabama's style of play, or if it was Jones', but all I saw was him 'wall' people off.  I didn't see many pancakes or drive blocks.  Again, if this all he's suppose to do in their system, that's fine; but it makes it hard to judge (to my untrained eye) what his true talent level is.

It's what I have been saying to deaf ears. Mizz's Sheldon Richardson also had a good day against him too. Copper is the better prospect but will take a little time, but could be a very good guard right out the gate.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 05:56:34 PM »
We'll see about Jones in the National Championship game. One thing is for sure, if he's soft against Louis Nix he's going to be eaten alive!

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 06:06:37 AM »
A few quibbles. Jones in Round 1- seems like he needs to concentrate on one position and become dominant. In the NFL, switching from one position to another on the OL isn't that easy. Just ask Lang.

A RB in Round 2? And a "solid RB is a must"? Oh my. A very good QB is a must. AP in Minny is great- Minny is at best mediocre. Ray Rice is terrific- Baltimore is struggling. Chris Johnson in Tenn. is a threat. They stink. MJD in Jaxville was the rush champ last year. They're horrible. The teams that are threatening to go to the SB all have very good QBs- with the exception of SF, IMO.

Finally, another rushing OLB? Isn't that why Nick Perry was drafted this year? What am I missing?

However, overall, I think this is a pretty solid draft. I especially agree with the need for another earlier round OT, would like to see some more "push" from the interior defensive linemen on passing downs, and the Packers do need to find a protege for Pickett ASAP. Not to mention another safety hybrid to shadow Woodson, a kicker, and a developmental QB. And what about WR? Or even TE?

Lots of ways to go in the next draft. I think you have some interesting ideas. Definitely food for thought and comment. Overall, good job.

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 06:40:29 AM »
A few quibbles. Jones in Round 1- seems like he needs to concentrate on one position and become dominant. In the NFL, switching from one position to another on the OL isn't that easy. Just ask Lang.

A RB in Round 2? And a "solid RB is a must"? Oh my. A very good QB is a must. AP in Minny is great- Minny is at best mediocre. Ray Rice is terrific- Baltimore is struggling. Chris Johnson in Tenn. is a threat. They stink. MJD in Jaxville was the rush champ last year. They're horrible. The teams that are threatening to go to the SB all have very good QBs- with the exception of SF, IMO.

Finally, another rushing OLB? Isn't that why Nick Perry was drafted this year? What am I missing?
However, overall, I think this is a pretty solid draft. I especially agree with the need for another earlier round OT, would like to see some more "push" from the interior defensive linemen on passing downs, and the Packers do need to find a protege for Pickett ASAP. Not to mention another safety hybrid to shadow Woodson, a kicker, and a developmental QB. And what about WR? Or even TE?

Lots of ways to go in the next draft. I think you have some interesting ideas. Definitely food for thought and comment. Overall, good job.

You can never have enough good pass rushers.  Clay tends to miss games too.
I don't know that Perry stays at OLB for all that much longer.  His game is power.  May be best suited to bulk him up and let him play with his hand on the ground.
And even if Perry stays at OLB, his game is still power, not speed and quickness.  If you can grab a speed/quick guy to compliment him, I think you gotta seriously consider it.

Food for thought.

Offline Wolfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 09:29:58 AM »

You can never have enough good pass rushers.  Clay tends to miss games too.
I don't know that Perry stays at OLB for all that much longer.  His game is power.  May be best suited to bulk him up and let him play with his hand on the ground.
And even if Perry stays at OLB, his game is still power, not speed and quickness.  If you can grab a speed/quick guy to compliment him, I think you gotta seriously consider it.

Food for thought.

As I read through this thread, that is exactly the thought I had about Perry.  He prefers to play with his hand on the ground anyway.  If he could bulk up and play DE like he wants and TT drafted another solid pass-rusher at OLB, this defense could be beyond fun to watch!  I think Capers, Trgovac, and Kevin Green would have a lot of fun with that.
Need more Packers and I need more cowbell!  :)

57packer

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 06:54:28 PM »
I'm not so sure Perry wants to be a DE - at least not a 3-4 DE.  Before the draft, he was bulking up to be a DE, but that was in a 4-3.  It would take awhile for Perry to add the bulk and strength to play DE in the 3-4 where he'd be taking on double teams on a much more frequent basis.  I just don't see having a guy bulking up over a couple of years to play a position he's pretty unsuited for right now as being a good use of a 1st Rd pick.  I'd rather see if Perry could trim off some pounds to make him quicker.   

He was 271# at the combine and was still the fastest, most explosive DE there.  His shuttle and 3-cone were not great, but maybe if he'd have come in closer to 260# he'd have done somewhat better.  I'd perfer to see him get some more reps at the position he was drafted for before I start having him pack on 30-40 pounds and learning a new position that he has never played.

No real problem with this mock other than the use of a Rd 1 pick on the OC position.  Maybe things change, but they seem to like the idea of EDS at OC.  If that's how things work out, I'd rather use the 1st on another position.  The rest is fine though it would have been nice to see WR addressed perhaps with the Rd 1 pick now that OC is no longer a priority.