December 05, 2019, 06:33:38 PM

Author Topic: Aaron Rodgers: Packers "Not Good Enough" in Playoffs  (Read 7039 times)

AldenRoche

Aaron Rodgers: Packers "Not Good Enough" in Playoffs
« on: January 08, 2015, 12:43:56 PM »
Interesting statement from our All-World QB that the Pack's playoff performances the past 3 seasons have not been good enough.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/17258/aaron-rodgers-on-packers-playoff-record-not-good-enough

Still find it hard to believe that some disagree with him.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
Re: Aaron Rodgers: Packers "Not Good Enough" in Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 12:51:42 PM »
Don't think anyone has said
the Pack's playoff performances the past 3 seasons have been good enough.

But you sure like to  stirpot) .
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 02:45:06 PM »
Interesting statement from our All-World QB that the Pack's playoff performances the past 3 seasons have not been good enough.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/17258/aaron-rodgers-on-packers-playoff-record-not-good-enough

Alden, do you seriously believe that any Packer fan is EVER satisfied when the team loses? Everyone is disappointed by every loss, but playoff losses are especially bitter because the mark the end of the journey.

Every Packer fan like Aaron would like to win the Super Bowl every season, and every Packer fan feels the let down when they come up short.

I know that you know this, so perhaps Larry is right, it is simply a way you like to  stirpot)
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 03:10:43 PM »

Rodgers is merely raising the bar and letting the Packer faithful know that he wants to bring us a trophy and nothing short will be acceptable to him. He is very good at being diplomatic and I think it is something he needs to reiterate often. SB trophies are the goal of every team.

Marking the success of the Packers organization, as a whole, since Rodgers has been our starter as been pretty solid. Probably could consider the team an elite team with a H.O.F QB. Going back to 1992 and our rise out of the depths of the hell, I would say Packer fans are spoiled at having such great winning record. By far, we have been one of the most storied franchises in history from that time on and of course back to the Lombardi era.

I know Super Bowls are important, but I like winning seasons every year too. Even if we don't win it all, I'll still consider this year a great success and a lot of fun to watch and look back on. That win over New England was just awesome. So was thumping the Bears twice!  :)
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 03:44:31 AM »
When was the last time the Packers lost to an inferior team in the playoffs? The Giants games- first under Favre, then under Rodgers. Both times, the Giants somehow managed to beat the Patriots for the SB title. SF the other two years was a better team- though the last time, if some players had made plays when they had the opportunity, it could have been different.

This team has been upgraded at some key positions where they had been vulnerable with the addition of some FA's and some good drafting. This team is also significantly healthier than in previous years, with the injury to Rodgers being an extremely significant late season concern. But this team has improved significantly over the course of the season, and there seems to be a feeling that they know something special is within their grasp. They're hungry, as AR also said. This is an elite team that can stand with any other team in the NFL in any venue.

Time to learn from the past, succeed in the present, and plan for the future. But the second is of paramount importance, because the preparation for the future has led them to their present position. And to let this chance slip through their fingers would be very, very difficult to accept. And that is what I think AR meant. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

AldenRoche

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 10:21:10 AM »

Alden, do you seriously believe that any Packer fan is EVER satisfied when the team loses? Everyone is disappointed by every loss, but playoff losses are especially bitter because the mark the end of the journey.

Every Packer fan like Aaron would like to win the Super Bowl every season, and every Packer fan feels the let down when they come up short.

I know that you know this, so perhaps Larry is right, it is simply a way you like to  stirpot)

Hmmm, seem to recall a lot of excuse making for the Pack's playoff losses after the last 3 seasons.

And it sure sounded like a lot of posters were dissatisfied with those who dared to point out the Pack's performances have not been good enough the past 3 post-seasons.

In fact, I seem to also recall that in response to claims the team has underachieved certain posters insisted Packer fans should just:

(i) JUSST ENJOY THE SUCCESS THE TEAM HAS EXPERIENCED BECAUSE YOU CAN'T EXPECT MORE OUT OF THEM;

(ii) or the team had experienced TOO MANY INJURIES TO EXPECT A PLAYOFF VICTORY;

(iii) and my personal favorites WE WOULDA WON IF NOT FOR ... A JEREMY ROSS FUMBLE HERE, A MICAH HYDE INTERCEPTION THERE, AN UNLUCKY HAIL MARY, JOE PHILBIN'S SON'S UNTIMELY DEATH yada, yada, yada.

I love it that the best QB in the NFL is not making excuses for the team's deficient play the past 3 years and is instead is telling it like it is -- that the Pack has simply NOT BEEN GOOD ENOUGH

Here is hoping the team is GOOD ENOUGH on Sunday.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 10:52:39 AM »
(Insert Strother Martin drawl) "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

OK, one by one. No one is happy or satisfied if the Packers don't make the SB. However, it is gratifying that they are contenders year after year, and, realistically, its not realistic to believe the team will make the SB every year. But once they get into the playoffs, anything can happen. So, yes, its satisfying to have a team that is competetive, and one of the best five teams in the league. Do you think fans from perennial doormats would be satisfied if their teams suddenly had the same success as the Packers? So, no, not winning the SB, which is the ultimate goal of every NFL team, is frustrating. That other teams are better in previous years? Yep. But this year? We'll see.

Now, as far as suggesting that injuries or bad calls/missed opportunities have no impact on the outcome of a game is, on its face, nonsense. Though prhaps you're suggesting that fans use those excuses to make the losses more palatable? Maybe- but that is simply human nature. Does that mean those same fans aren't looking for ways to make the team more successful? No. It means that except for some bad luck/miss opportunities, the outcome of the game could have been different.

Now, as far as the perceived animosity of the two "sides" on this board, nope- won't re-open that particular can of worms. Because it serves no purpose other than to harden attitudes on both "sides", with people talking at each other than with each other.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 10:59:39 AM »

Hmmm, seem to recall a lot of excuse making for the Pack's playoff losses after the last 3 seasons.

And it sure sounded like a lot of posters were dissatisfied with those who dared to point out the Pack's performances have not been good enough the past 3 post-seasons.

In fact, I seem to also recall that in response to claims the team has underachieved certain posters insisted Packer fans should just:

(i) JUSST ENJOY THE SUCCESS THE TEAM HAS EXPERIENCED BECAUSE YOU CAN'T EXPECT MORE OUT OF THEM;

(iii) and my personal favorites WE WOULDA WON IF NOT FOR ... A JEREMY ROSS FUMBLE HERE, A MICAH HYDE INTERCEPTION THERE, AN UNLUCKY HAIL MARY, JOE PHILBIN'S SON'S UNTIMELY DEATH yada, yada, yada.

I love it that the best QB in the NFL is not making excuses for the team's deficient play the past 3 years and is instead is telling it like it is -- that the Pack has simply NOT BEEN GOOD ENOUGH

If you had clue what you were talking about Alden, I'd give a shit. Nobody was satisfied GB lost. Nobody. I guess, but in fact could be wrong. Go get names and come back. You "seem to remember...." do ya? Well, refresh your memory and illuminate us all by going back and getting the posts.

We've got time. We'll wait.

AldenRoche

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 11:50:20 AM »
(Insert Strother Martin drawl) "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

OK, one by one. No one is happy or satisfied if the Packers don't make the SB. However, it is gratifying that they are contenders year after year, and, realistically, its not realistic to believe the team will make the SB every year. But once they get into the playoffs, anything can happen. So, yes, its satisfying to have a team that is competetive, and one of the best five teams in the league. Do you think fans from perennial doormats would be satisfied if their teams suddenly had the same success as the Packers? So, no, not winning the SB, which is the ultimate goal of every NFL team, is frustrating. That other teams are better in previous years? Yep. But this year? We'll see.

Now, as far as suggesting that injuries or bad calls/missed opportunities have no impact on the outcome of a game is, on its face, nonsense. Though prhaps you're suggesting that fans use those excuses to make the losses more palatable? Maybe- but that is simply human nature. Does that mean those same fans aren't looking for ways to make the team more successful? No. It means that except for some bad luck/miss opportunities, the outcome of the game could have been different.

Now, as far as the perceived animosity of the two "sides" on this board, nope- won't re-open that particular can of worms. Because it serves no purpose other than to harden attitudes on both "sides", with people talking at each other than with each other.

Agree with pretty much everything you say above Ricky.

However, while you (correctly note) that the excuse making by certain Packer fans makes the playoff losses more palatable (for them), for others the Packers performances the past 3 post-season have simply not been good enough and the excuses mostly ring hollow. [Heck, they may well have been too banged up to beat a declining Niners team, at home, last January, but 3 years in a row of underperformance should not be acceptable in my opinion].

Let me also say, I am thrilled we have a QB who refuses to rationalize away the recent playoff failures and who has no trouble admitting the team has not been good enough. I frankly love it when leaders like Aaron Rodgers do not use excuses to make losses more palatable.

I sense #12 is hungry for a win and am eager for our MVP to show his mettle on Sunday.

AldenRoche

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 11:56:55 AM »

If you had clue what you were talking about Alden, I'd give a shit. Nobody was satisfied GB lost. Nobody. I guess, but in fact could be wrong. Go get names and come back. You "seem to remember...." do ya? Well, refresh your memory and illuminate us all by going back and getting the posts.

We've got time. We'll wait.

Leader, I know this topic touches close to home, but please do not misrepresent my statements.

I never claimed anyone was SATISFIED with the playoff LOSSES. As Packers' fans we all want the Packers to win every game.

However, I have claimed (and continue to claim) that certain posters have insisted fans should be satisfied with the Pack's respective performances the past 3 seasons and come up with a myriad of "reasons" for the Packers failure to advance even to a NFC Championship game. Do you really pretend otherwise?

Or, to the point, do you agree with me (and Aaron Rodgers) that the PACKERS HAVE NOT BEEN GOOD ENOUGH IN THE PLAYOFFS THE PAST 3 SEASONS?

Offline eX Oh

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 01:55:58 PM »
Leader, I know this topic touches close to home, but please do not misrepresent my statements.

I never claimed anyone was SATISFIED with the playoff LOSSES. As Packers' fans we all want the Packers to win every game.

However, I have claimed (and continue to claim) that certain posters have insisted fans should be satisfied with the Pack's respective performances the past 3 seasons and come up with a myriad of "reasons" for the Packers failure to advance even to a NFC Championship game. Do you really pretend otherwise?

Or, to the point, do you agree with me (and Aaron Rodgers) that the PACKERS HAVE NOT BEEN GOOD ENOUGH IN THE PLAYOFFS THE PAST 3 SEASONS?

What an arrogant buffoon. 

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 02:42:37 PM »
The loser of any particular game - by very definition - has not been good enough. AR's comment is nothing more than recognition of the blantantly obvious : GB didn't play well enough to win. The scoreboard backs that up.

The attempt by reasonable and intelligent people to discuss the nature of a given loss does not equate into an exercise in making excuses.

Plain and simply - thats not the case. Discussion of this play versus that - or if this had happened versus what occurred - is reasonable people making a conversation about events and I simply will not discredit their thoughts with some blanket B.S. thats its excuse making.

The SF game last year hinged on a very few plays - which if they'd turned out differently - if executed differently - very probably would have led to a different result - or at the very least - made a different result more probable. Thats not excuse making - thats recognition of how close the game truly was.

I'm way past this "I was right and you were wrong" crap and its nothing more than crap.

Offline eX Oh

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 07:45:08 PM »
The loser of any particular game - by very definition - has not been good enough.

And yet you respond to idiots like Alden Roche.   Pretty much you're bad at this point.

not like his seven hundred and fiftieth post is any different from his first.

I have to wonder about Mark and Larry.  Is this good for the site to let ignoramous folk post seven HUNDRED and fifty times?

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 01:45:04 AM »

Nobody ever said that or disagreed with Rodgers.

Troll somewhere else.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 05:44:07 AM »
Agree with pretty much everything you say above Ricky.

However, while you (correctly note) that the excuse making by certain Packer fans makes the playoff losses more palatable (for them), for others the Packers performances the past 3 post-season have simply not been good enough and the excuses mostly ring hollow. [Heck, they may well have been too banged up to beat a declining Niners team, at home, last January, but 3 years in a row of underperformance should not be acceptable in my opinion].

[Above quote from Alden Roche edited for brevity]

Here's where we see things differently. I don't believe anyone was accepting of the outcomes. To say some were is where we disagree. Posters were disappointed, as was the team. The posters looked for reasons why the defeats occurred- and suggested fixes. The team did their usual in-house analysis of the strenghs and weaknesses of the team. So, they moved to get better through the draft and even (GASP!) FA. The Packers were also notably healthier than previous years. That is why the Packers are contenders this year.

All that typed, could they lose tomorrow? Yes. Would that defeat be crushing and extremely disappointing? Absolutely. Would it be accepable? No. Where the differences would arise is in the response to the loss. However, hopefully we won't have to read those opposing viewpoints. Hopefully, we'll all celebrate the Lombardi Trophy returning home to Lambeau.