December 06, 2019, 05:55:54 AM

Author Topic: 2014 Draft = Success  (Read 2263 times)

AldenRoche

2014 Draft = Success
« on: January 13, 2015, 05:36:45 AM »
I have never fully subscribed to the theory that you can't judge a draft for 3 years. Sure, some players take longer than others to develop, get their chance, or prove their a flop, but for teams that rely on young players (which is virtually every team in today's NFL), immediate impact is expected in many cases.

In any event, by any measure TT's 2014 draft has been a smashing success. HHCD has been solid if not spectacular at S -- a position that often takes time to master. He has also put the ugly memories of M.D. Jennings and Jerron McMillian to bed.

Davante Adams has only come up big in the biggest games of the season, NE & Dallas. He shows all the signs of being another TT WR.

Richard Rodgers has done about as well as a 3rd round TE could be expected to do as a rookie.

Meanwhile Cory Linsley has exceeded all expectations.

If this group continues to develop and the team gets anything out of Thornton, Bradord, Abreddaris, Goodson, and/or Janis in the future the 2014 draft will go down as one of TT's best.

Offline MrJuly4th

• HOF Member
Re: 2014 Draft = Success
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 06:03:38 AM »
Excellent comment.   thumbsup)

I am sure that HHCD, Adams, RRodgers, Linsley, Pennel, and Elliot have improved since game one when we played Seattle.   Of that group, only two of the guys had an impact in that first game (HHCD and Linsley).   HHCD had 5 tackles and 1 sack during that game while I am sure Linsley probably struggled in his first game at center in the NFL.  Adams and RRodgers caught no passes and Pennel and Elliot were not even active for the game.  Everyone one of these 2014 additions have improved greatly. 

Yes, hard to grade this draft and rookie FA additions before their first season is over but this looks like a pretty good draft by TT.  Also (IMHO), I think, with time, that Thornton and Janis are going to be pretty good football players. 

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 06:22:23 AM »
All the credit can't go to Thompson. It was clearly the stars aligning just right and sheer luck he was able to find quality players throughout the draft and rookie FAs. Should probably still fire him.

Offline number12

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 02:56:14 AM »
A good draft class can inject life into a season as they did this year (as did Peppers). 

Excellent draft class by the Packers as you said, however I'm not quite as high on Adams.   I'm always going to compare him to Allen Robinson who the Packers also could have taken at his spot.   Not that I dislike Adams, he's a slicker James Jones, a nice player.   We'll see if there is a lot of upside there or not, maybe he becomes a better run after catch guy than I imagine.   

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 06:51:30 AM »
It was a solid draft class overall. Have our starting center now, potential #2/#3 WR in Adams, Dix has proven himself at safety. Richard Rodgers didn't play too bad, just not many opportunities, but he showed good balance, really hoping he continues to improve. I hope guys like Elliott & Pennel can continue to develop.

Still hoping some guys who were either hurt or just didn't get enough playing time will make an impact.

Certainly a telling offseason for Janis, Aberderis, Goodson, Thornton & Bradford.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 09:11:18 AM »
I agree... think both 2013 and 2014 drafts have been a success and reason Packers had strong season this year.

2013: 
Great picks - Lacy, Bakhtiari (can still improve in run game, but in passing game I think he does very good job and more important considering Rodgers is at QB)
Good pick - Hyde
Decent picks - D. Jones (still expecting more from him), Boyd, Barrington
TBD - Tretter

2014:
Great picks - Linsley - nailed down center position
Good picks - D. Adams, R. Rodgers, Dix - still a lot of upside with all these picks... I honestly really like R. Rodgers
TDB - all the remainder of the picks since still early

Last 2 drafts have been solid B+ IMO... with potential to improve yet to an A.  If the 2011/2012 drafts would have been as good, think Packers have more titles... both those drafts were not as productive... 2012 a bit better.. maybe a C+ (Daniels, Perry and Hayward)... 2011 has Cobb and House only... maybe C- with Cobb saving it from F.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 09:12:49 AM »
All the credit can't go to Thompson. It was clearly the stars aligning just right and sheer luck he was able to find quality players throughout the draft and rookie FAs. Should probably still fire him.

cheese)