December 18, 2018, 09:53:30 PM

Author Topic: How to gauge a defense?  (Read 830 times)

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
How to gauge a defense?
« on: January 18, 2015, 12:05:51 PM »
I know this isn't really a rant or vent, just more of a ponder. I am posting it here because I know it will not be accepted in other categories. I also wanted to post prior to the game so it isn't an accusation of me being emotional if the team doesn't win.

How do you gauge a defense? Most people have found a new love for our defense and the man at the helm. I do agree that there has been improvement, but I am not sure how much of it is long-term and how much is opponent-driven(facing sub-par teams). All the stats in the world don't mean a thing when you walk away with a big L. So outside of stats and personnel accusations, how would I know personally that I am happy with the defense? I guess after a lot of thought it comes down to one attribute: Can you trust your defense to keep you in the game when times are tough? When your star is out on offense, when weather is bad, when the game is  just a total defensive duel. Since 2010 I can not think of a time the defense was the bailout in a game against playoff caliber opponents. This is what I think needs to be the key. Not, "Can the defense make one stop in a shootout." Can they be relied upon when the offense doesn't show up. Can this defense hold opposition to 14 or less in a tough environment??? I guess that is what I am looking for to really accept the defense as a new and improved unit. Just my thoughts.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."