August 22, 2019, 08:22:50 PM

Author Topic: Another Fart In The Wind?  (Read 8493 times)

Offline B

• HOF Member
Re: Another Fart In The Wind?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 02:47:59 PM »
Surprised you still venture over to this part of Packerchatters, given that many in here are willing to deviate from the Company line you are so fond of peddling B. Not surprised by your trolling snark, however.

Here is an idea, perhaps you could start one of your "cheerleader" threads about how, in your immortal words, MM gave away Sunday's NFC Championship game.  thumbsup)

I follow my own drum beat and own my ideas and opinions. I'll venture anywhere I damned well please.

For a guy that loves to dish it out you sure cry like a baby when you get even a playful poke. I guess I shouldn't be surprised
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Zyvlyn

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 08:25:39 AM »
It's one thing to mourn the loss we just suffered, it's another thing completely to think it was a "fart in the wind".  It's not easy to solidify a championship caliber roster every year in a level playing field (such as the NFL is with the salary cap).  The fact that we can lock up Cobb and run out there with the best QB and 2 All-Pro level WR's for the next 5 years makes me pretty happy...
The OP isn't calling the loss a "fart in the wind", he's referring to Ron Wolf's calling the 96 Super Bowl win a "fart in the wind" because it was the only Super Bowl the Holmgren/Favre/White era would win.  This was considered to be a disappointment because the feeling was that there was potential for a lot more, and that potential was unrealized.  Clearly they were hoping for a dynasty.  The OP is wondering if the Packers 2010 Super Bowl is going to be the only one Rodgers will win, because that will also be considered an underachievement and a waste of potential.

I'm of mixed mind on that, though.  Considering how difficult it is to win a Super Bowl these days, it seems kind of harsh to criticize someone because they "only" won one.  Many teams would love to have a Super Bowl win.  But when you have the quality of QBs Green Bay has had in the last couple of decades, it IS hard not to expect a little bit more.  If the western teams in the NFC hadn't been so strong in recent years, maybe we'd have gotten another ring or two.

The good news is right now the team doesn't seem to have any real obvious weaknesses.  Hopefully they can stay healthy, put this loss behind them, learn from it, and make a better run at it next year.  I hope you are right that we can lock down Cobb.

This is a great post.  I agree completely.  If Rodgers retires with only one ring, it will feel like a disappointment.  However, dynasties are a lot harder to make nowadays than they were back then.  The last great dynasty was the Patriots of the early 2000s.  Maybe Seattle is close to creating another one, but I'll have to see how they handle their stars hitting free agency before I'm willing to start calling them that.  Even if they win next week.

Hopefully our healthy season was in part due to the changes in conditioning and we have another few legitimate chances at the championship with Rodgers in his prime.  There's no telling what kind of QB we'll end up with after him.

AldenRoche

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 10:37:25 AM »
Farve/Rodgers playoff performances:

Record   Win          %      Cmp     Att           Cmp%

Favre   12-10   54.5      19.9     32.8   60.7

Rodgers   6-5           54.5      23             35.2   65.4

Anyone else notice any similarities?

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 11:31:20 PM »

This....... I don't know what to say. I really hope Rodgers gets back to the 2010 attitude. I just feel like he knew he was good and wanted to prove it. I think he needs to have that back.
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 09:05:49 AM »

This....... I don't know what to say. I really hope Rodgers gets back to the 2010 attitude. I just feel like he knew he was good and wanted to prove it. I think he needs to have that back.

I think having that fire and emotion is really important. I remember watching those 2010 playoff games and Rodgers had a lot of fire. He still does I'm sure, but I think it's considered professional to keep emotions in check. I don't support that philosophy for football though. Look at Peyton Manning. That guy isn't happy in any situation. I just believe there's a lot to say for youthful exuberance.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 06:35:20 PM »
I think Rodgers had fire this post season but his body just wouldn't allow him to play like he normally does.  I think his injury affected his accuracy and frustrated him at times.  In the Seattle game they didn't have to concern themselves with Rodgers making plays with his feet.  Aaron is darn near impossible to stop when he can extend plays and run for first downs but that calf injury prevented him from playing like he normally does.   :-\

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 06:48:45 PM »
I think Rodgers had fire this post season but his body just wouldn't allow him to play like he normally does.  I think his injury affected his accuracy and frustrated him at times.  In the Seattle game they didn't have to concern themselves with Rodgers making plays with his feet.  Aaron is darn near impossible to stop when he can extend plays and run for first downs but that calf injury prevented him from playing like he normally does.   :-\

Agree. We're talking about a QB reknowned for his accuracy who was way off the mark on multiple passes - many of them not terribly tought. That has to be because he couldn't plant and throw. He didn't turn into Cutler in a couple weeks.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 08:32:40 AM »

Hard to say it was just the injury as he was a very ordinary player on the road this year against tough defenses.  Seattle, Detriot and Buffalo completely dominated our offense when we were away form Lambeau.  AR was held to 1 or fewer TDs just 6 times this year and all 6 times were on the road.  4 of those games were against those 3 teams.  Those 3 teams were also the only 3 teams to hold him under 200 yards (I don't consider the Vikings "holding him under 200 yards" when he only threw 17 passes).  Our offense was nothing short of terrible this year on the road against the good defenses.

Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 04:32:46 PM »

Agree. We're talking about a QB reknowned for his accuracy who was way off the mark on multiple passes - many of them not terribly tought. That has to be because he couldn't plant and throw. He didn't turn into Cutler in a couple weeks.

Even on one leg Rodgers is light years better than Cutler.    ;D

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 04:35:51 PM »

Hard to say it was just the injury as he was a very ordinary player on the road this year against tough defenses.  Seattle, Detriot and Buffalo completely dominated our offense when we were away form Lambeau.  AR was held to 1 or fewer TDs just 6 times this year and all 6 times were on the road.  4 of those games were against those 3 teams.  Those 3 teams were also the only 3 teams to hold him under 200 yards (I don't consider the Vikings "holding him under 200 yards" when he only threw 17 passes).  Our offense was nothing short of terrible this year on the road against the good defenses.

Of course we could say these great defenses make even elite QBs look rather ordinary. 

Offline Stic56

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 02:34:34 AM »
This team is NOT loaded with talent. In fact the cupboard is empty. At least a 1/3 of this team will be gone next season. If you want ames I can readily supply them. But anyone who actually analysis the talent level on this squad could easily come up with 17 cuts. In fact I can come up with 23 w/o breaking a sweat.

Their are only three players who couldn't be cut this offseason for cap reasons: Rodgers, Matthews and Shields. All three have issues though. Injury, burnout and disdain for the coaching effort. Everyone else is expendable. Period. Including our two highly overpaid guards Lang and Sitton. And the Packers want to pay Bulaga even more.

Draft 14 players, two players added from UDFA, 2 players added from the PS, 2 players from IR, 2 street FA and one major UFA signing. That makes 23. or 18 if we only pick 9 players. But if less than 18 players are replaced next season it is going to be tough sledding with the schedule looking to be one of the toughest ever.

This OL cant run blog to save its own soul. That has to change. Lacy took a terrible beating this season despite only handling the ball 18.5 snaps a game. 21 in Seattle his highest of the season. Three of them against 10 in the box towards the end of the game. And 2013 was worse. At this rate he will burn out sooner than John Brockington.

Everyone brags about TTs late round picks. Three from the 6th rd remain Crosby, Starks and Goodman. Two from the 7th round Barrington and Janis. B. Jones is for sure cut I hope. 4 from the 5th. Quarless, Hyde, Boyd and Lyndsey. This from 10 drafts. Im unimpressed.

Take off the green and gold classes for just a coupla months to get your perspective back. The NFL stands for: Not For Long.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:45:10 AM by Stic56 »

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2015, 04:48:29 AM »
This team is NOT loaded with talent. In fact the cupboard is empty. At least a 1/3 of this team will be gone next season. If you want ames I can readily supply them. But anyone who actually analysis the talent level on this squad could easily come up with 17 cuts. In fact I can come up with 23 w/o breaking a sweat.

OF course you can. You simply cut players you hate. OF course, that is not how the NFL works.  If I were you, I wouls send my resume to the NFL to get a GM job since you seem to think you know how to build a Super Bowl winning team.  The fact that you think the cupboard is bare tells me you don't come close to knowing anything.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2015, 05:16:56 AM »

Their are only three players who couldn't be cut this offseason for cap reasons: Rodgers, Matthews and Shields. All three have issues though. Injury, burnout and disdain for the coaching effort. Everyone else is expendable. Period. Including our two highly overpaid guards Lang and Sitton. And the Packers want to pay Bulaga even more.

Draft 14 players, two players added from UDFA, 2 players added from the PS, 2 players from IR, 2 street FA and one major UFA signing. That makes 23. or 18 if we only pick 9 players. But if less than 18 players are replaced next season it is going to be tough sledding with the schedule looking to be one of the toughest ever.

This OL cant run blog to save its own soul. That has to change. Lacy took a terrible beating this season despite only handling the ball 18.5 snaps a game. 21 in Seattle his highest of the season. Three of them against 10 in the box towards the end of the game. And 2013 was worse. At this rate he will burn out sooner than John Brockington.

Everyone brags about TTs late round picks. Three from the 6th rd remain Crosby, Starks and Goodman. Two from the 7th round Barrington and Janis. B. Jones is for sure cut I hope. 4 from the 5th. Quarless, Hyde, Boyd and Lyndsey. This from 10 drafts. Im unimpressed.

Take off the green and gold classes for just a coupla months to get your perspective back. The NFL stands for: Not For Long.

Ya know?? You dont need glasses (of any lens) to wonder what thats all about.
GB just lost the NFC Championship game. That actually happened. It took place. They went 12+4 in the regular season - 1+1 in the playoffs.
Its beyond highly doubtful they accomplished that with an "empty cupboard" and "only three players that couldn't be cut".
I realize this is the R+V section of town - but didn't see the "Leave reality at the door" sign when entering.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2015, 07:13:12 AM »

Ya know?? You dont need glasses (of any lens) to wonder what thats all about.
GB just lost the NFC Championship game. That actually happened. It took place. They went 12+4 in the regular season - 1+1 in the playoffs.
Its beyond highly doubtful they accomplished that with an "empty cupboard" and "only three players that couldn't be cut".
I realize this is the R+V section of town - but didn't see the "Leave reality at the door" sign when entering.

Fans like Stic56 is probably a kid and only knows of the Packers success since 1992.  Older fans know what it is like to really have no talent on a Packers' roster.  I don't consider this viewpoint with any seriousness.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2015, 09:25:31 PM »

You don't have a clue.
“What’s going on out there”