October 15, 2018, 04:03:51 PM

Author Topic: Another Fart In The Wind?  (Read 7863 times)

AldenRoche

Another Fart In The Wind?
« on: January 20, 2015, 06:42:02 PM »
Former GM Ron Wolf famously referred to the Pack's single Super Bowl win in the 90s as constituting just a fart in the win.

During his time in GB, Favre reached 4 NFC Championships, and 2 Super Bowls. All but 1 of those NFC Championships occurred before he turned 30.

Now I think ARod is a better QB than Brett. And I also think TT is a much, much better GM than the GM during the latter years of Favre's time in GB - Mike Sherman. But ARod turns 32 next season and I believe the clock is ticking on his/our Super Bowl window for the following reasons.

First, some folks comfort themselves by noting Brady and Manning have gotten to the Super Bowl the past 2 years at age 37. Quite true, but this ignores some important differences. The most important difference is that Brady & Manning never relied upon athleticism to become the QBs they are. ARod on the other hand has always been able to use his feet as a weapon. Thus, as he ages one of his key attributes will diminish and affect his game in a way that did not occur with either Brady nor Manning. This is especially true given the serious injuries ARod has suffered the past 2 seasons.

The second important difference is that Manning was basically in the position to pick a team that he believed was just a QB away from making the Super Bowl when he joined Denver. Unless he leaves us, ARod will have no such luxury. Meanwhile, Brady has the advantage of playing for a coach whom most objective observers believe to be the best in the NFL. He will be taking NE to its 6th SB next week.

I am not advocating that TT adopt Denver's all in strategy. I am, however, noting that ARod has maybe 5 or 6 good years left.

In my view, there needs to be a sense of urgency the next 3-4 years or we will look back on ARod's tenure as fart in the wind part 2.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Another Fart In The Wind?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 06:59:11 PM »
You need a defense to get to the Super Bowl.  San Fran and Seattle recently are examples of fhat.  The Packers can continue down this same road or make the needed changes IMO.

Offline tminus6453

• Second String
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 07:20:56 PM »
Im not counting on much from this coaching staff to bring another SB as long as they're around

Offline Sanguine Camper

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 07:51:59 PM »
Good comments that hit the mark. The Packets organization will ultimately be judged on how it took advantage of Rodger's career. IMO he is one of the top qb's of all time.if one Super Bowl victory is all they can get from his tenure it will have been an underachievement .

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 10:33:41 PM »
Alden, as a non-MM fan I agree with you in a lot of ways on most of your posts...

But this is just ridiculous.

Favre reached 4 NFC Championships and 2 Super Bowls, mainly before he hit 30...  Well if Rodgers didn't sit on the bench until he was 27 or 28 he probably would've done the same...

I can't stand McCarthy and feel like we got McCarthy'd once again this year, but we still made it to the final four of 32 teams desperately trying to make it as far as we have.

I hate losing as much as the next guy, and for me to tell my buddy on the phone that I'll be excited once we win the game following the interception with 5 minutes left, should be reason enough to know we're not going places on behalf of McCarthy at the helm.  But we should have the same squad next year and a hungrier McCarthy. 

It's one thing to mourn the loss we just suffered, it's another thing completely to think it was a "fart in the wind".  It's not easy to solidify a championship caliber roster every year in a level playing field (such as the NFL is with the salary cap).  The fact that we can lock up Cobb and run out there with the best QB and 2 All-Pro level WR's for the next 5 years makes me pretty happy...

My buddy is a die-hard Patriots fan, and honestly they've had Championship level teams almost every year.  But they haven't managed to win one in 10 years.  If McCarthy changes his style in the slightest and starts going for the win I think we have a chance to be a dynasty, so to be pissed off right now seems a little ridiculous

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 11:16:34 PM »
Does anyone else think MM would benefit from spending a tiny bit of time with River Boat Ron?? :D
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 07:04:47 AM »
I have neer seen one person who claims he is a packer fan take so much glee in a Packer loss like the OP. What a pathetic and miserable existence he has.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 10:01:16 AM »
It's one thing to mourn the loss we just suffered, it's another thing completely to think it was a "fart in the wind".  It's not easy to solidify a championship caliber roster every year in a level playing field (such as the NFL is with the salary cap).  The fact that we can lock up Cobb and run out there with the best QB and 2 All-Pro level WR's for the next 5 years makes me pretty happy...
The OP isn't calling the loss a "fart in the wind", he's referring to Ron Wolf's calling the 96 Super Bowl win a "fart in the wind" because it was the only Super Bowl the Holmgren/Favre/White era would win.  This was considered to be a disappointment because the feeling was that there was potential for a lot more, and that potential was unrealized.  Clearly they were hoping for a dynasty.  The OP is wondering if the Packers 2010 Super Bowl is going to be the only one Rodgers will win, because that will also be considered an underachievement and a waste of potential.

I'm of mixed mind on that, though.  Considering how difficult it is to win a Super Bowl these days, it seems kind of harsh to criticize someone because they "only" won one.  Many teams would love to have a Super Bowl win.  But when you have the quality of QBs Green Bay has had in the last couple of decades, it IS hard not to expect a little bit more.  If the western teams in the NFC hadn't been so strong in recent years, maybe we'd have gotten another ring or two.

The good news is right now the team doesn't seem to have any real obvious weaknesses.  Hopefully they can stay healthy, put this loss behind them, learn from it, and make a better run at it next year.  I hope you are right that we can lock down Cobb.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:01:56 AM by iarwain »

AldenRoche

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 10:34:16 AM »
Alden, as a non-MM fan I agree with you in a lot of ways on most of your posts...

But this is just ridiculous.

Favre reached 4 NFC Championships and 2 Super Bowls, mainly before he hit 30...  Well if Rodgers didn't sit on the bench until he was 27 or 28 he probably would've done the same...

I can't stand McCarthy and feel like we got McCarthy'd once again this year, but we still made it to the final four of 32 teams desperately trying to make it as far as we have.

I hate losing as much as the next guy, and for me to tell my buddy on the phone that I'll be excited once we win the game following the interception with 5 minutes left, should be reason enough to know we're not going places on behalf of McCarthy at the helm.  But we should have the same squad next year and a hungrier McCarthy. 

My buddy is a die-hard Patriots fan, and honestly they've had Championship level teams almost every year.  But they haven't managed to win one in 10 years.  If McCarthy changes his style in the slightest and starts going for the win I think we have a chance to be a dynasty, so to be pissed off right now seems a little ridiculous

bbaley, I think you misunderstood my post as iarwain explained above.

My point is that when the Pack won the Super Bowl 4 years ago how many Packer fans would have imagined that ARod would be the NFL MVP 2 of the next 4 years and we still would not get back to the Super Bowl?

This season we had all 22 guys who started game 1 available for the last game. When does that happen?

As for McCarthy, I actually view him as an above average coach.

I just don't pretend he is elite at this point and above any and all criticism like certain posters I am sure you are all too aware of.

I stand by the notion that there is a possibility that the era of the Pack with ARod at QB may be seen as just another fart in the wind. Hope not.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 02:07:55 PM »
The OP isn't calling the loss a "fart in the wind", he's referring to Ron Wolf's calling the 96 Super Bowl win a "fart in the wind" because it was the only Super Bowl the Holmgren/Favre/White era would win.  This was considered to be a disappointment because the feeling was that there was potential for a lot more, and that potential was unrealized.  Clearly they were hoping for a dynasty.  The OP is wondering if the Packers 2010 Super Bowl is going to be the only one Rodgers will win, because that will also be considered an underachievement and a waste of potential.

I'm of mixed mind on that, though.  Considering how difficult it is to win a Super Bowl these days, it seems kind of harsh to criticize someone because they "only" won one.  Many teams would love to have a Super Bowl win.  But when you have the quality of QBs Green Bay has had in the last couple of decades, it IS hard not to expect a little bit more.  If the western teams in the NFC hadn't been so strong in recent years, maybe we'd have gotten another ring or two.

The good news is right now the team doesn't seem to have any real obvious weaknesses.  Hopefully they can stay healthy, put this loss behind them, learn from it, and make a better run at it next year.  I hope you are right that we can lock down Cobb.

Just ask the Vikes or the Bills..............they've been there 4 times, each, and came up empty each time. For the Bills, it was 4 consecutive years. How heartbreaking must that be?!!
The Eagles and Bengals are both 0-2 in SB's.
The Cards, Falcons, Panthers, Titans, and Chargers have all been there once, and lost.

Then there are teams like the Lions, Browns, Texans, and Jags who have never even found their way to the Big Dance.

Yes, it is truly hard to get there, and I hope that "one and done" is not the legacy for SB's for the AR era.

You not only have to be good, to win a SB. You have to be lucky as well. Ask any NFL player.

I believe Ted has a bigger vision than just from one year to the next, and I think you will see a talent laden Packers team that will be able to chase the brass ring again next year. It's up to the players/coaches to make it happen.

JMHO.................

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 10:43:01 PM »
bbaley, I think you misunderstood my post as iarwain explained above.

My point is that when the Pack won the Super Bowl 4 years ago how many Packer fans would have imagined that ARod would be the NFL MVP 2 of the next 4 years and we still would not get back to the Super Bowl?

This season we had all 22 guys who started game 1 available for the last game. When does that happen?

As for McCarthy, I actually view him as an above average coach.

I just don't pretend he is elite at this point and above any and all criticism like certain posters I am sure you are all too aware of.

I stand by the notion that there is a possibility that the era of the Pack with ARod at QB may be seen as just another fart in the wind. Hope not.

A beer or two too many, my apologies Alden.  As usual, I agree with your position.  Sorry for the confusion.  Everyone is going crazy on the local radio over the loss, and yet I don't feel bad at all as I could see it coming with MM playing not to lose.  Let's hope it's not another fart in the wind :)

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 10:44:58 PM »

Well put, thanks for clearing that up.  I think we have a great shot at locking up Cobb.  We have the money to do so, and as a scout said (roughly) "Cobb is a TT kind of guy, there's no chance he doesn't lock him up".

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 07:26:34 AM »
This team is too talented not to make several runs at the Super Bowl. Injuries have hurt them the last few play-offs. This year one injury had a major impact and they still almost won it......
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 02:26:07 PM »
Farting and wind... finally a couple of topics Alden has some expertice on  ;)
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

AldenRoche

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 02:37:35 PM »
Surprised you still venture over to this part of Packerchatters, given that many in here are willing to deviate from the Company line you are so fond of peddling B. Not surprised by your trolling snark, however.

Here is an idea, perhaps you could start one of your "cheerleader" threads about how, in your immortal words, MM gave away Sunday's NFC Championship game.  thumbsup)