December 14, 2018, 04:02:06 PM

Author Topic: Last 10 NFCC Losers ...  (Read 4338 times)

AldenRoche

Last 10 NFCC Losers ...
« on: January 22, 2015, 04:21:04 PM »
2004 Falcons (2005 out of playoffs);
2005 Panthers (2006 out of playoffs);
2006 Saints (2007 out of playoffs);
2007 Packers (2008 out of playoffs);
2008 Eagles (2009 lost wildcard round);
2009 Vikings (2010 out of playoffs);
2010 Bears (2011 out of playoffs);
2011 49ers (2012 made Super Bowl);
2012 Falcons (2013 out of playoffs);
2013 49ers (2014 out of playoffs);
2014 Packers (2015??).

Be wary of the cheerleaders insisting the Pack will utilize Sunday's devastating loss as a springboard to next season's Super Bowl.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
Re: Last 10 NFCC Losers ...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 09:45:31 PM »
2004 Falcons (2005 out of playoffs);
2005 Panthers (2006 out of playoffs);
2006 Saints (2007 out of playoffs);
2007 Packers (2008 out of playoffs);
2008 Eagles (2009 lost wildcard round);
2009 Vikings (2010 out of playoffs);
2010 Bears (2011 out of playoffs);
2011 49ers (2012 made Super Bowl);
2012 Falcons (2013 out of playoffs);
2013 49ers (2014 out of playoffs);
2014 Packers (2015??).

Be wary of the cheerleaders insisting the Pack will utilize Sunday's devastating loss as a springboard to next season's Super Bowl.

Don't take it the wrong way, no insult intended, but I hate stats like this. Just because this has been true for the last 10 years doesn't mean that our odds of making the playoffs in 2015 is 0.

AldenRoche

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 10:04:51 PM »
Very true that what's happened the next decade does not dictate that the Pack will not make it to the Super Bowl in 2016.

Heck with the MVP of the league returning at QB in his prime they stand a better chance than most.

But some have been contending that a loss in the NFCC game is a motivator for team's the next year and that is contrary to the evidence.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 03:29:51 AM »
Very true that what's happened the next decade does not dictate that the Pack will not make it to the Super Bowl in 2016.

Heck with the MVP of the league returning at QB in his prime they stand a better chance than most.

But some have been contending that a loss in the NFCC game is a motivator for team's the next year and that is contrary to the evidence.

That notion didn't necessarily originate on this board.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Packers-to-use-loss-as-motivation-for-2015/5d0315be-e73f-4b44-b251-7f965dacb524

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 10:04:37 AM »
It's true, most teams don't make it back the following year.  That just goes to show how hard it is even to get as far as the conference championship game. 

But we HAVE to hope that they will use this loss as motivation to do better, what's the alternative?

Also, the thing about the current Packer team is as long as we have Rodgers, we are going to be contenders.  That can't be said for some of those teams that didn't make it back, although many of them certainly had good quarterbacks.  Rodgers is on an elite level, though, up there with Brady and Manning.  Also, the way TT runs the team keeps it in contention year after year.  My main concern is that in the meantime, another dominant team is going to pop up and have to be dealt with, just like the Seahawks came into their own the last few years.  Maybe the Cowboys, maybe the Colts, who knows?

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 10:32:44 AM »
In 1996 we lost the NFCC game but won it the following 2 years.  In 2012 SF lost but came back and won it in 2013 so it can happen.  Right now besides us and Seattle what other teams are likely to be in that game next January?  Dallas?  Can SF with a new HC?  AZ?  Who in the NFCS?  Carolina or NO?  Atlanta will have a new coach.  Can Detroit push us again?

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 05:36:23 PM »
In 1996 we lost the NFCC game but won it the following 2 years.  In 2012 SF lost but came back and won it in 2013 so it can happen.  Right now besides us and Seattle what other teams are likely to be in that game next January?  Dallas?  Can SF with a new HC?  AZ?  Who in the NFCS?  Carolina or NO?  Atlanta will have a new coach.  Can Detroit push us again?
I don't think it's out of the question that any of those teams might get there.
Every year is different, and has its own surprises.

Offline davekenya

• All Pro
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 07:14:20 PM »
and TT is very good at cap management - not stacking the team to make it to the NFCC one year with expensive UFAs that are only good for a year  or by going into cap hades.  So, I think our chances are as good or better than anyone's.  Less 'regression to the mean' as a result compared to other GMs who build less by 'D and D' as TT does.

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 11:37:47 PM »
The Packers lost confidence in that game.  The coach did, the QB did.  They will not gain confidence or motivation from it.  Contrary to popular belief, motivation comes from success, not failure.  They just got a good look in the mirror, and it wasn't pretty.

That was one of the most epic collapses in pro sports history.  A collapse entirely predicated on a choke.  Letting a situation crumble you.  It was, literally, pathetic.

It was a betrayal of the fanbase, by the team.  I am disgusted.
It's what it's.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 06:47:00 AM »
The Packers lost confidence in that game.  The coach did, the QB did.  They will not gain confidence or motivation from it.  Contrary to popular belief, motivation comes from success, not failure.  They just got a good look in the mirror, and it wasn't pretty.

That was one of the most epic collapses in pro sports history.  A collapse entirely predicated on a choke.  Letting a situation crumble you.  It was, literally, pathetic.

It was a betrayal of the fanbase, by the team.  I am disgusted.

Not sure where you get your logic from, but just about every "motivational" speaker I've ever heard/read says just the opposite.
I've been to Ziglar and Robbins seminars, and I've read Covey, MacKay, and others and none of them have ever said you don't gain motivation from failure. Instead, you "learn" from it. And I hope that's what the Packers have done, as did the 1995 Packers prior to their winning the SB in 1996.

http://www.ineedmotivation.com/blog/2008/04/why-you-need-to-fail-to-succeed/

Failing is trying. Without trying we never have a shot at succeeding. The quicker you can deal with failure, the quicker you are ready for success. Each failure is a building block to success.
Without failure, how sweet would success be? How can success be appreciated, without knowing the opposite feeling? I’m thinking of the closest example of this…over-privileged kids that had everything handed to them. How many times have we heard of such kids turning out to be complete disasters?

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 08:12:57 AM »
There is no assurances that Packers get to 2015 NFCC game next year... this is the NFL and a lot can happen.  If they do not get back there again, the loss this year will hurt even more IMO.

However... Rodgers is easily the best QB in the NFC IMO, I think the Packers (barring injuries) will have to be a favorite to get back to the playoffs next year and then anything can happen.

If you look at AFC... 4 times in last 11 years team losing AFCC game made the Super Bowl the following year:

Won Super Bowl following year:  2005 Steelers, 2012 Ravens
Lost Super Bowl following year:  2007 Patriots (undefeated team until SB)
TBD:  2014 Patriots

The Packers lost an opportunity... hopefully they can move past it and get there next year.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 04:06:53 PM »

Not sure where you get your logic from, but just about every "motivational" speaker I've ever heard/read says just the opposite.
I've been to Ziglar and Robbins seminars, and I've read Covey, MacKay, and others and none of them have ever said you don't gain motivation from failure. Instead, you "learn" from it. And I hope that's what the Packers have done, as did the 1995 Packers prior to their winning the SB in 1996.

http://www.ineedmotivation.com/blog/2008/04/why-you-need-to-fail-to-succeed/

Failing is trying. Without trying we never have a shot at succeeding. The quicker you can deal with failure, the quicker you are ready for success. Each failure is a building block to success.
Without failure, how sweet would success be? How can success be appreciated, without knowing the opposite feeling? I’m thinking of the closest example of this…over-privileged kids that had everything handed to them. How many times have we heard of such kids turning out to be complete disasters?

Got to agree with you on this one Danno.

Winning the superbowl leads to over-confidence and complacency, not motivation.  One of the reasons it is hard to repeat.

Successful people learn from failure and move on to be better.  Lets hope we have a team with that type of character.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 09:48:58 AM »
We are going to win the Super Bowl next year. We have the team to do it.  thumbsup)
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi