September 15, 2019, 09:20:07 PM

Author Topic: "If the draft was 2/7/15" mock  (Read 4657 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
"If the draft was 2/7/15" mock
« on: February 07, 2015, 04:40:16 PM »
This is going to change...........I know...........because of what happens in FA. But here's "my gut" at the moment.

Packer FA's resigned:
UFA's - Cobb, Bulaga, Williams (2 yr), Kuhn (1 yr), Tolzien (2 yr), and Guion (for 1 yr minimum again)
RFA's & ERFA's - Richardson, Boykin, Barclay, Banjo
Outside UFA's: Bruce Carter (DAL) to play ILB.

The Draft:

1st - Eddie Goldman NT/DT (FSU)
2nd - Ben Koyack TE (ND)
3rd - David Johnson RB/KR (UNI)
4th - Stephone Anthony ILB (Clemson)
5th - Nick Marshall CB/KR (Auburn)
5 a. - Leterrius Walton NT/DT (Central Michigan)
6th - Deione Barnes OLB (Penn St.)
6 a. - Connor Halliday QB (WSU)
7th - Brian Mihalik DE (Boston College)

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
Re: "If the draft was 2/7/15" mock
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
I don't know anything about Carter but I feel more comfortable with a veteran and a later round pick for inside.  I just don't think the top ILB's are worth the pick.

I am intrigued by Marshall but you never know when Williams will hit the wall so I'd go with a corner higher.

I am surprised you didn't take any O linemen

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 06:45:08 PM »
This is going to change...........I know...........because of what happens in FA. But here's "my gut" at the moment.

Packer FA's resigned:
UFA's - Cobb, Bulaga, Williams (2 yr), Kuhn (1 yr), Tolzien (2 yr), and Guion (for 1 yr minimum again)

The Draft:

2nd - Ben Koyack TE (ND)

Danno - I ilke this draft, especially Goldman, Stephone Anthony, Nick Marhall and Delone Barnes. Did not like the TE in the 2nd, would rather see some OLine help there. The offseason moves are also pretty good. If it all went down this way, I would not be disappointed (but its awfully early as you stated)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 08:27:55 AM »
Yes, it is early and my thinking will likely change. Possibly add an OT somewhere.

I went with TE in the 2nd because Koyack is an outstanding run blocking TE, and does have enough speed to make defenses respect him down the deep seem. It's just that ND never used him in that capacity.

It's "Q's" final year of his contract, so bringing in another TE that will help right away in the run game, and be a serious contributor in the pass game by next year made sense.

Carter has been playing OLB in the DAL defense but his size/speed and pass coverage abilities tell me he would make an easy conversion to ILB in GB's defense. This last year he had 8 PDF and 5 INT's for DAL. None of GB's LB's can pass cover like this man can. Plus, he's only 26.

Offline BTIdaho

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 01:28:15 PM »
I like Bruce Carter as well, and I agree that he translates to ILB pretty well.  I also like Craig Robertson from Cleveland as an alternative to Carter.  What type of a contract to you think Carter will command?

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 03:42:10 PM »
His 2014 cap # was $1.54M and based on his production, I would guess somewhere between $4-5M average/yr.

In other words, about the same as what Brad Jones cap number would be for 2015.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 03:44:25 PM »
Why a ILBerin the fourth round? Why not earlier? Is this a case of BPA being at other positions earlier? Though the NT in the first wouldn't be a bad idea, given the unknown status of that position. But TE in the second? Not arguing, just interested.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline backthepack4ever

• All Pro
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 04:41:02 AM »
Why a ILBerin the fourth round? Why not earlier? Is this a case of BPA being at other positions earlier? Though the NT in the first wouldn't be a bad idea, given the unknown status of that position. But TE in the second? Not arguing, just interested.

I would take Goldman any day of the week over an ILB.  besides Thompson I dont think any of the ILBs are 1st round guys.  From the raves Anothony got during Sr bowl week, he might be just as good as any of them.  We cant draft based strickly on need. 

I would be pretty happy with this draft

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 01:21:43 PM »
Solid.

Interesting on the B. Carter conversion. That is possible and I would welcome that. Whatever we do at LB, we'll need a LB that can cover. Our LBs dont excel there . Brad Jones only saw the field because our other LBs couldnt cover well so he played dime MLB.

Eddie Goldman is an interesting pick. I like Anthony and Walton picks. I'm not so high on Koyack that high. I'm not sold on Marshall as a CB. I want to see how he moves at the combine and pro day. He was iffy at Senior Bowl.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 02:06:29 PM »
Solid.

Interesting on the B. Carter conversion. That is possible and I would welcome that. Whatever we do at LB, we'll need a LB that can cover. Our LBs dont excel there . Brad Jones only saw the field because our other LBs couldnt cover well so he played dime MLB.

Eddie Goldman is an interesting pick. I like Anthony and Walton picks. I'm not so high on Koyack that high. I'm not sold on Marshall as a CB. I want to see how he moves at the combine and pro day. He was iffy at Senior Bowl.

Thanks! I readily welcome others opinions.

Regarding Collins.............................I too was "iffy" on picking him until I read the following pieces and found out he was invited to the Senior Bowl as a Quarterback, but, on his own, volunteered (after arriving) to play CB instead.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2079873/nick-marshall

Marshall originally signed with Georgia as a cornerback in 2011..........
Despite his relative inexperience at the position, Marshall showed enough fluidity, speed and even physicality in Mobile necessary to intrigue scouts. The team that selects may be forced to "redshirt" Marshall for a year to allow him to acclimate back to defense but the tools are undeniable. It wouldn't be surprising to see a club gamble on Marshall in the middle rounds - or for him to ultimately reward that team by developing into a legitimate contributor at corner early in his NFL career.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/nick-marshall?id=2552575

Marshall flashed at cornerback during Senior Bowl practices and his size will interest NFL teams, but his top-end speed and individual workouts will determine whether he's an NFL cornerback or a name-brand former college quarterback.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 06:05:23 PM »
Solid.

Thanks! I readily welcome others opinions.

Regarding Collins.............................I too was "iffy" on picking him until I read the following pieces and found out he was invited to the Senior Bowl as a Quarterback, but, on his own, volunteered (after arriving) to play CB instead.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2079873/nick-marshall

Marshall originally signed with Georgia as a cornerback in 2011..........
Despite his relative inexperience at the position, Marshall showed enough fluidity, speed and even physicality in Mobile necessary to intrigue scouts. The team that selects may be forced to "redshirt" Marshall for a year to allow him to acclimate back to defense but the tools are undeniable. It wouldn't be surprising to see a club gamble on Marshall in the middle rounds - or for him to ultimately reward that team by developing into a legitimate contributor at corner early in his NFL career.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/nick-marshall?id=2552575

Marshall flashed at cornerback during Senior Bowl practices and his size will interest NFL teams, but his top-end speed and individual workouts will determine whether he's an NFL cornerback or a name-brand former college quarterback.

edit: Also meant to say that they expect him to run around 4.4 at the Combine. But I will be more interested in his 3-cone and 20 shuttle.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 09:29:41 AM »

Packer FA's resigned:

The Draft:

2nd - Ben Koyack TE (ND)

Wow!!
Just found this over at NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000477234/article/best-fits-for-top-10-freeagent-inside-linebackers

2. Bruce Carter, LB, Dallas Cowboys

The Cowboys are counting on the healthy return of Sean Lee and are hoping that rookie Anthony Hitchens continues to develop, which leaves an athletic, and very aggressive Bruce Carter out in free agency set to fend for himself.

Free agent fit:

While the Green Bay Packers have only recently scored points for their panache in free agency, landing a versatile, sure-handed linebacker like Carter would undoubtedly give them some range and versatility that they've been lacking at the position for years. It may even free Clay Matthews up for some pass-rushing detail.