October 17, 2019, 11:48:22 PM

Author Topic: WR's in the draft  (Read 2255 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
WR's in the draft
« on: February 28, 2015, 07:38:39 PM »
My guess is that they will find a way to sign Cobb.

But I always keep hearing folks talking about not having a big WR who can "take the top off" a defense.

Could that player be Jeff Janis??
Maybe.............Maybe not.
Didn't see much of what he might be able to do during the preseason, and saw nothing during the regular season.

So..............maybe take a chance on another late round big WR who might develop into that kind of player. After all, TT does like to D&D wideouts!  ;)

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/darren-waller?id=2552408

Currently ranked as a 6th round pick.

I'd take a shot at him.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
Re: WR's in the draft
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 10:38:21 AM »
Kid from Maryland was hurt most of the year.  Will likely be taken in Rd. 4 or 5.  Runs excellent routes and has great hands.  A combination of Brooks, Driver and Cobb!  He would be a steal, a typical Thompson gem later in the draft.

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 11:05:23 AM »
But I always keep hearing folks talking about not having a big WR who can "take the top off" a defense.

Could that player be Jeff Janis??

According to MM, Janis has some work to do but he's confident he'll take a step up.

I'm pretty high on Dorsett myself.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 02:42:45 AM »
Wrist surgery could shelve top WR prospect

NFL.com is reporting that Arizona State WR Jaelen Strong will require surgery to repair a broken bone in his wrist. No word on how long he will be sidelined. Also no word on whether this will impact Strong’s final draft position as he ha been considered to be  amid-to-late first round candidate.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 04:43:46 AM »

Well now that 'report' is lacking info or just unfounded.

Response from Jaelen Strong;

Per the report, Strong fractured a small bone and would “likely” need to have surgery on it at some point. That last point drew a response from Strong. The wideout told the Philadelphia Daily News that he would be in Indianapolis for the medical exam, but told both the paper and his Twitter followers that he doesn’t need an operation.

“Old news. That happened Nov 1st. I’m fine. Played 5 games with it and I’m sure you couldn’t tell. Don’t believe everything you hear,” Strong wrote.

The reporter who initially put this out?
Ian Rapoport of NFL Media
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 04:47:01 AM by LMGAdmin »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 05:55:48 AM »
Ian gets a lot of scoops, put he also pulls the trigger way too early on much of his speculative reporting to try to get more.

On the overall topic of WR in the draft, which is loaded, I'm guessing Ted pulls the trigger on a late pick or scrambles to bring in a undrafted FA they expected to be drafted who falls because the Packers are relatively loaded at the WR position.

Jordy Nelson   98 catches for 1519 yards, 15.5 ave per catch & 13 TD's - under contract through 2018 season
Randall Cobb   91 catches for 1287 yards, 14.1 ave per catch & 12 TD's - under contract through 2018 season

Davante Adams took over the No. 3 spot last season and came on strong late flashing immense talent and upside - signed through 2017 to a relatively cheap rookie contract.

Fellow rookie Jeff Janis, has phenom measurables, flashed great potential with a couple of preseasons TD's despite missing almost all of camp with shingles and drew special comment from MM about how he was coming on late last season - signed through 2017 to a cheap rookie contract.

Jared Abbrederis was looking great before losing the season to a knee injury early, will have had a full season to recover and add strength  - signed through 2017 to a cheap rookie contract. 

Speedster Myles White returns after spending all of last season on the practice squad after being on the active roster for roughly half of his rookie year in 2013, when he caught nine passes for 66 yards - signed through 2016 to a cheap rookie contract.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:00:25 AM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 10:14:37 AM »
On the overall topic of WR in the draft, which is loaded, I'm guessing Ted pulls the trigger on a late pick or scrambles to bring in a undrafted FA they expected to be drafted who falls because the Packers are relatively loaded at the WR position.

Completely agree, but we're talking about the same Ted that took Cobb in the 2nd round with Jennings, Nelson, Jones and others a few years ago.  Ted love his WR's, there's no doubt about that.

But I'm with you, I would much prefer to spend our earlier picks on a more pressing need and try and grab a WR later on