October 15, 2019, 04:23:36 PM

Author Topic: Suh is Going to Miami  (Read 6672 times)

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
Suh is Going to Miami
« on: March 08, 2015, 12:18:14 PM »
Will sign a 6 year, $114 million deal with $60 million guarnateed. Detroit just took a hit to their D:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12444126/ndamukong-suh-sign-6-year-114-million-deal-miami-dolphins
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:20:10 PM by cpk1994 »
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
Re: Suh is Going to Miami
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 01:01:29 PM »
No home town discount for the kitty-cats:

"Suh will get $60 million in the first three years on a contract that is expected to average $19 million over the six years of the deal, sources said.
A league source told ESPN.com that Detroit's offer to Suh was $17 million per year with $58 million guaranteed -- a deal that would have still made Suh the highest-paid defensive player in the NFL"

Throw in the tax savings in Florida.....adios MotorCity.
Dont know squat 'bout Suh's private life....but if he yearns for a fast paced clubbing scene...he's taken a big step up :) 

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:16:26 PM by Leader »

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 01:34:48 PM »
Thank god that goon is out of the NFCN.   cheese)

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 01:40:45 PM »
Thought they could only talk "loosely" about terms and no agreements could be made at this point?

Is Suh that dumb that he can't keep this quiet?  Oh wait, forget that I asked that.....

"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 01:48:29 PM »

It'll be interesting to see how (or if) the heat of Miami affects Suh's game. No more moderate climes of the Mid-West coupled with air conditioned home games. No, no. Early season Miami is torturous hot. I mean just down right nasty. Tampa can be bad as well - but down there its special - and depending on how the year goes -it can stay hot / warm the entire season. Be interesting to see if he wears down. 

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 01:55:20 PM »
I just read the Lions carry 9.7 million in dead money on Suh in 2015 despite him being in Miami.  Not sure how that works, but sure speaks to the potential downside of restructured contracts.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 01:58:05 PM »
Thank god that goon is out of the NFCN.   cheese)

Personally? I think its too much money for the position. Not taking anything away from the talent - but its not a deal changer position in my view - outside its ability to eat up too much of your cap & roster flexibility. JJ & Suh are great talents - but they'll not bring rings to their teams given their position and by commanding such $$$ hurt the team's overall chances in my view.

Outside that - here's why I'm glad TT steers our ship.

From ESPN:

"The Lions mismanaged Suh’s original contract for the past two-plus seasons, well before they even started dialogue in an attempt to re-sign him. This issue began when they restructured his contract to make cap room, forcing his franchise tag number up to close to $26.9 million for 2015. The mismanagement also led to the Lions still having Suh on the books for $9.7 million in 2015 even though he will be wearing a Dolphins uniform.

Using the franchise tag on Suh was essentially impossible when a nonrestructured franchise tag number could have been much more palatable. It ensured if the two sides couldn’t get a long-term deal done by Saturday that he was going to test the market with an end result that always appeared to be exactly what happened. Suh was going to the team that was able to pay him the most, and no one was going to realistically be able to top the bid the Dolphins put in.

So Suh walks away, and all the Lions are left with are polarizing memories, a couple of playoff appearances, a compensatory selection in 2016, some more cap room to play with and one giant, 90-shaped hole in the middle of their defensive line.

This is yet another area where the Lions failed to adequately prepare for the potential of a Suh departure.

One option is re-signing Nick Fairley, and there have been discussions between Detroit and Fairley’s representatives. But the Lions bungled this as well. In declining the fifth-year option for Fairley last offseason, it sent him to potential free agency -- something that’s about to happen in a little over 48 hours if a deal doesn’t get done.

If the Lions understood the potential of Suh leaving better earlier, they could have drafted Aaron Donald -- a Pro Bowler as a rookie -- at No. 10 instead of tight end Eric Ebron. That could have helped Detroit prepare for the loss of Suh, Fairley or both.

So there’s a chance the Lions could be without Suh and Fairley as their defensive tackles in 2015, which is stunning considering that defensive line was the strength of a good Detroit defense in 2014.

And all it really does is leave more questions about where the Lions will head from here"

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 02:27:29 PM »
Will sign a 6 year, $114 million deal with $60 million guarnateed. Detroit just took a hit to their D:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12444126/ndamukong-suh-sign-6-year-114-million-deal-miami-dolphins

Not to mention that Nick Fairley is also departing. And Suh getting $19 million/year? That's franchise QB money. Crazy. But their defense just got a lot better, and they were already very formidable last year.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 04:00:42 PM »

Dang man, the Lions dismantled their DL like TT dismantled the WR corps this year! Oh wait..........

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 05:51:26 PM »
This has been discussed before but again, it points out that just because you are in a NFL front office does not mean you make good choices and are somehow smarter than fans.

I can understand letting Suh go.  What I cannot understand is what they did with Fairley, plus drafting Ebron.

They already had two good Tight ends.  If they understood where they were with Suh, they should have drafted a DT or another defensive player to help replace him somehow e.g. a SS or LB.

Instead, they will get a third round pick for him. But I have always wondered about Detroit putting all that money in three players: Suh, Stafford and Johnson.  It turned out not to be worth it as far as results went.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 07:01:06 PM »

Not to mention that Nick Fairley is also departing. And Suh getting $19 million/year? That's franchise QB money. Crazy. But their defense just got a lot better, and they were already very formidable last year.

Yes, that is just nutty to pay a DT QB money.   :P

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 07:02:46 PM »
This has been discussed before but again, it points out that just because you are in a NFL front office does not mean you make good choices and are somehow smarter than fans.

I can understand letting Suh go.  What I cannot understand is what they did with Fairley, plus drafting Ebron.

They already had two good Tight ends.  If they understood where they were with Suh, they should have drafted a DT or another defensive player to help replace him somehow e.g. a SS or LB.

Instead, they will get a third round pick for him. But I have always wondered about Detroit putting all that money in three players: Suh, Stafford and Johnson.  It turned out not to be worth it as far as results went.

We should all be pleased Detroit is dismantling the strongest part of their team.   :)

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 10:55:55 PM »
The other thing that puzzles me about this is who he went to.

Miami is going to have to clear space for that deal.

Tampa and Jacksonville would not have had to.

I mean can you imagine Tampa with McCoy and Suh lined up next to each other?

One of the hardest things there is to do in the NFL is to apply inside pressure on the pocket.  This is why Jimmy Johnson devised the A gap blitz.

With Suh and McCoy, you could have gotten the pressure without the blitzing. 

Tampa had around the 8th most CAP space also.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:57:21 PM by Gregg »

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 12:50:27 AM »

I like to equate it with any job. Would you take me seriously if I went in to your job and argued with you about the way you're going about your profession of 20 years? Especially if I had no formal training and showed an interest in the outcome of your work but displayed no knowledge of how you get your finished product?

I'm not saying people don't make mistakes. People do. In any profession. I'm just glad the Lions made a couple mistakes it seems  :D

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 06:33:37 AM »
With Suh and McCoy, you could have gotten the pressure without the blitzing. 

Tampa had around the 8th most CAP space also.

Um, with Suh and Cameron Wake, you get the same effect. And right now, Miami is looking to rid itself of the high salary, underperforming (acquired through FA) Mike Wallace. So, they'll find a way to fit him under the cap, though the Suh salary will definitely crimp their style later on.

So, what is the lesson to be learned? As Vic (of "Ask Vic" at packers.com) so wisely puts it, "Take care of the salary cap, and the salary cap will take care of you."
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid