July 20, 2018, 05:30:09 AM

Author Topic: Cheap GM  (Read 3527 times)

Offline Scott1956

• All Pro
Cheap GM
« on: March 10, 2015, 01:26:21 PM »
Why is it that TT can never get these deals done weeks before? We knew what the market for both Cobb and Bulaga. So instead of being able to concentrate on getting a Jimmy Graham or a Ngata, teams that are trying to get better, are actually making moves! This team is in DIRE need of Defense. This team needs 2 NT's and at least 2 ILB's, as well as a CB. Where will he get those?

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
Re: Cheap GM
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 02:48:24 PM »
Why is it that TT can never get these deals done weeks before? We knew what the market for both Cobb and Bulaga. So instead of being able to concentrate on getting a Jimmy Graham or a Ngata, teams that are trying to get better, are actually making moves! This team is in DIRE need of Defense. This team needs 2 NT's and at least 2 ILB's, as well as a CB. Where will he get those?

Oh please.
You ever consider the players want to wait until their value gets inflated by pending free agency? Ya think?
How much was House worth "weeks ago?"

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 03:27:14 PM »

They were negotiating for 6 months with Cobb.  As for Graham.  I heard they a conversation with the Saints about Graham (not sure how deep they got), but Seattle ended up giving up a 1st rd pick and a pro bowl player.  Not sure TT would have remotely considered that.     

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 03:42:13 PM »

They were negotiating for 6 months with Cobb.  As for Graham.  I heard they a conversation with the Saints about Graham (not sure how deep they got), but Seattle ended up giving up a 1st rd pick and a pro bowl player.  Not sure TT would have remotely considered that.     

They gave up a 1st? I'd glossed over the article too quickly.
Theres a NOLA QB crying in his beer right about now.....
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:43:01 PM by Leader »

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 08:10:14 PM »

No, there's a QB in NOLA who refused to restructure a contract that will pay him more than $26 million this year, thereby forcing the Saints to jettison salary cap space. And if GB had wanted to seriously go after Graham, they'd have had to offer their first and Sitton, or a player of equal value. Would Graham have been worth that?

They gave up a 1st? I'd glossed over the article too quickly.
Theres a NOLA QB crying in his beer right about now.....
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 06:54:08 AM »

But with Unger gone their O line has some major holes.  Seachicken fans will now find out if Schneider can draft O linemen.  Plus next year they are gonna have to pay Wilson so is Graham just a one year rental?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 06:59:15 AM by Pugger »

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 12:37:31 PM »
Plus next year they are gonna have to pay Wilson so is Graham just a one year rental?

Possibly. They could be going "all in" this year, similar to how Denver did last year

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 02:14:27 PM »

I am a little shocked that anyone can find fault with TT during this offseason. TT is crushing it right now. We have the two biggest offseason players signed for multiple years, a healthy amount of cap space and we are looking pretty good heading into the draft.

In addition to this, we still might be able to land a FA here or there.

Ted is working. Let the man work and don't be too worried about timelines.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 08:04:19 PM »
Are you cpk's little brother?  ::) facepalm)
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 07:54:41 PM »

To answer your question in the bold letters: The draft and players that he's drafted already on the roster.

Overall, every player wants to earn money. Cobb would have earned less if he signed with Green Bay immediately. He might have wanted to sign earlier, but his agent knows he can get him the best deal or more money. He wouldn't be a very good agent if he took the first deal that came across his desk. If you're looking for someone to blame for last minute deals it's the player and his agent.

They need 2 NTs? Raji looks like he'll be signing again later in FA. Pennel has a lot of upside and was playing pretty well in the rotation at the end of the year. You wanted them to sign Vince Wilfork or Ngata? Wilfork is well passed his prime and they're both big cap hits. Guion is still a possibility.

CB is pretty deep on their roster. Everyone seems to have doubts about Hayward and Hyde, but they're talented, young, and ascending. Whose to say they can't become starting CBs?

At least 2 ILBs? You forget about Barrington? Sure, he's not Patrick Willis but he is also talented, young, and ascending.

I'm sure Green Bay would have loved to snag Graham. They'd be IMPOSSIBLE to match up with on offense. Except TT isn't about to take a large cap hit, lose a younger, talented player and 1st round pick. I'll be honest Graham is going to bust in Seattle. Either due to injury or lack of production but Seattle got starstruck when they heard Graham was on the trading block.