October 15, 2019, 12:23:05 AM

Author Topic: Eagles Reportedly Acquire DeMarco Murray  (Read 5249 times)

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
Eagles Reportedly Acquire DeMarco Murray
« on: March 12, 2015, 09:38:20 AM »
According to Adam Schefter:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12466624/demarco-murray-intending-join-philadelphia-eagles

Chip Kelly has officially set Free Agency on its ear. The Cowboys are boned.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:39:41 AM by cpk1994 »
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

maxman44

Re: Eagles Reportedly Acquire DeMarco Murray
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 10:12:01 AM »
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out exactly what Kelly is doing...

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 10:31:57 AM »
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out exactly what Kelly is doing...

Unless they plan on dumping / trading Sproles - I'd guess Matthews will be the odd man out.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 11:34:31 AM »
So they trade McCoy for Murray and Alonso and save a little cash I think?   LeSean is obviously a great player and I think Dallas was still handing the ball off to Murray yesterday (bringing his total to 10347 carries this past season?), but that seems like a strong move.  The Eagles are going to have a number of linebackers that cover a lot of ground next season.  McCoy better have a great season with the Bills for what they are paying him compared to Murray.  Although given Murray's injury history they may be paying him more than McCoy on a per/game basis

I think Kelly knows Foles caught lightning in a bottle 2 seasons ago and Bradford should be an upgrade (albeit an expensive upgrade) - that will be interesting to see how it plays out and whether Bradford can stay healthy.  Could be really good in that system but after 49 career games he only has a 58.6% completion percentage - but Foles was only marginally better last year.  Team was probably relieved he didn't tear a shoulder ligament packing his suitcase for Philly.

Jordan Matthews and Zach Ertz are going to put up some interesting numbers next season...

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 11:37:48 AM »
I couldn't think of a worse fit between a player and team than Murry and Philly.  McCoy, who is about as elusive as it gets, had trouble getting passed the LOS behind that OLine, so I can't imagine Murray would be able to do any better.

On the bright side though, it would take away one of Dallas best weapons and make the NFC even more of Seattle/GB and everyone else

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 12:03:30 PM »
Look for G Evan Mathis to Miami...

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 12:13:50 PM »
Murray has averaged 4.8 ypc in his 4 year career in Dallas and Dallas has not always had such a good OL -

As a side note - Murray has also averaged more than 3 receptions per game over his career so Eagles won't lose that element to their offense either - like they would with Ryan Mathews.

Murray's problem until last year was durability, not ability to gain yardage behind good OL and bad.  The Cowboys did drive him into the ground last season and that doesn't usually lead to a strong follow-up season

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 12:52:25 PM »
Murray has averaged 4.8 ypc in his 4 year career in Dallas and Dallas has not always had such a good OL -

As a side note - Murray has also averaged more than 3 receptions per game over his career so Eagles won't lose that element to their offense either - like they would with Ryan Mathews.

Murray's problem until last year was durability, not ability to gain yardage behind good OL and bad.  The Cowboys did drive him into the ground last season and that doesn't usually lead to a strong follow-up season

Agree, but they did last year. On top of that, Murray is good at breaking tackles as I recall.

I think he'll do well in Philly.

So Philly trades away McCoy for a LB, trades away Foles for Bradford and acquires Murray. Dollar wise, I wonder how they will be sitting come draft day.

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 01:57:49 PM »

Agree, but they did last year. On top of that, Murray is good at breaking tackles as I recall.

I think he'll do well in Philly.

So Philly trades away McCoy for a LB, trades away Foles for Bradford and acquires Murray. Dollar wise, I wonder how they will be sitting come draft day.

Draft day will be the least of their problems - unless they jump up in the lower draft numbers / higher priced college talent. The built up to 50M over the cap with the early moves and have been whittling that down since.

I looked but couldn't find.......we playing either DAL or PHIL or both next year? Trying to figure if we've missed going against DeMarco.....
Wonder now if DAL will make a stronger play for Peterson......they've gotta get a #1 RB as I dont think he (she) is on their roster currently.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:59:47 PM by Leader »

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 04:03:49 PM »
Kelly is trying to make his team the Philadelphia Ducks.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 05:18:20 PM »
I like what Kelly's done.  I think a healthy Bradford is a large upgrade over Foles.  He turned Shady McCoy, who doesn't fit his system into the NFL's best RB last year and a young speedy LB that improves his defense (when he's healthy).  While he paid a little much for Maxwell but he upgraded both CB spots.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 08:22:07 PM »
I like what Kelly's done.  I think a healthy Bradford is a large upgrade over Foles.  He turned Shady McCoy, who doesn't fit his system into the NFL's best RB last year and a young speedy LB that improves his defense (when he's healthy).  While he paid a little much for Maxwell but he upgraded both CB spots.

Isn't "a healthy Bradford" an oxymoron? And Murray? He had a ton of carries last season, and was playing behind a very good OL with a QB who had some good receivers to throw the ball. And, again, that speedy young LBer tore up the league before tearing up his body. How will he fare after surgery? We'll see.

Definitely, Kelly is putting his stamp on the Eagles, but didn't we see something similar with the "dream team"  (according to Vince Young) a few years ago? Putting together a lot of high level  players and hoping they work together as a team can backfire. Which is what I expect to happen.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 07:46:05 AM »

Didn't McCoy lead the league in rushing in 2013? Not certain but he was a league leader for sure. Foles had a pretty decent year as well - with a pedestrian crew of WR's in my view. The most obvious difference between 2013 + 2014 was a disintegration of the OL. Last season the running lanes from 2013 didn't exist and Foles was getting pounded. Thats an OL issue - not a system change.

Is Murray an upgrade from Shady? Perhaps...perhaps not...time will tell. He's definitely an upgrade from Gore (you ask me).

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 08:21:30 AM »
A very strange approach that the Eagles and Chip Kelly are taking. There will be some serious questions to answer if 2015 isn't a successful season for them. Very interesting to watch unfold from an outsider's perspective.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 08:51:43 AM »

Didn't McCoy lead the league in rushing in 2013? Not certain but he was a league leader for sure. Foles had a pretty decent year as well - with a pedestrian crew of WR's in my view. The most obvious difference between 2013 + 2014 was a disintegration of the OL. Last season the running lanes from 2013 didn't exist and Foles was getting pounded. Thats an OL issue - not a system change.

Is Murray an upgrade from Shady? Perhaps...perhaps not...time will tell. He's definitely an upgrade from Gore (you ask me).

IMO Murray is not a downgrade from Shady.  Not an upgrade either as Shady is a fantastic back in his own right.  However, the addition of both Murray and Kiko Alonso at the same cost as McCoy is an upgrade.   

As for Gore's value for a team - I don't think it's measured in his rushing at this point (again my opinion), but I think he is still the best pass-blocking back in the NFL.  He's a great fit for Indy as they like to throw the ball 350 times a game.

Also, McCoy was not turned into the NFL's best back because of Kelly's system.   He's like Barry Sanders was - he's just a great back that has excelled regardless of system. This is a guy that had 1300 yards and 17 rushing TD's back in 2011 and had 78 receptions and averaged 5.2 ypc the year before that.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 09:00:43 AM by ThatGuy284 »