November 13, 2019, 07:40:28 AM

Author Topic: Tramon is a Brown  (Read 12025 times)

Offline Pack2SB

• Starter
Re: Tramon is a Brown
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 02:33:43 PM »
Good luck to Tramon.

TT/McCarthy either see a lot of potential in a cb on the roster, they have their eyes on a FA, or really like a corner in the draft. I'm thinking they have their eyes on a corner in the draft but may have to move up to get him. According to the analysts, this is not a good year for corners thus large demand for FA corners.

There must be a large drop-off after the 1st 3 top corners are gone, so I'm looking for a move up and get a lb later. If one of the top 3 falls to us, all the better.  Will be an interesting draft for the Pack. Need to fill a couple holes and hope some UDFA look like diamonds.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 02:37:16 PM »
Pretty deep draft class of corners...

Wish they would have kept Rolle from last year.

Guess we'll find out if Goodson has anything.

Sure Pack has something up their sleeve.  Taking a risk though.

Offline SunshinePacker

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 02:40:16 PM »
Hopefully the Packers feel as though two of NT/ILB/CB are REALLY deep in this draft because as of now the defense has huge (in the case of the NT, literally) holes at those positions.

I'm looking forward to a bunch of "Fire Capers!" topics if the team's defense starts slowly while starting Raji at NT and a rookie at ILB (that's a perfect recipe for an abysmal run defense).

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 03:31:28 PM »
Sad to see T-Will go, but his production/age don't match the deal the Browns threw at him.

Easy to see they put a deal on the table they knew that GB wouldn't be willing to match.

TT might be looking at a mid-level veteran FA to bring in along with a draft pick (1st or 2nd round).

Josh Gordy used to be on the Packers in 2010, he was signed off the PS by the Rams in 2011 and had a decent year and was traded to the Colts in 2012. He's been buried on their depth chart and hasn't gotten many opportunities.

I wouldn't cry if they brought him in on a reasonable contract and then took Quiten Rollins in the 1st round or Alex Carter in the 2nd round.

Also, depending on how many comp picks the Packers get, I'd take a shot at Nick Marshall (Auburn) in the 4th/5th round if he's still on the board. Maybe he could serve as the emergency QB as well.

Nice article about the CB's at the bottom of the roster.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2015/3/16/8223259/packers-tay-glover-wright-tramon-williams-sam-shields
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 04:42:10 PM by dannobanano »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 04:44:04 PM »
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 04:46:23 PM by dannobanano »

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 05:05:16 PM »
Losing Tramon and House is why it was such a bad move by TT to keep Goodson and cut Rolle last camp. Rolle might be able to step in and play well in nickle this year, Goodson, no way.

Don't blame TT for not paying what those two got. Both got more than their production (House) and age (Williams) should have warranted.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 05:06:40 PM by golfman »
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 05:17:17 PM »
Nice to see you back golfman.

And I agree about Rolle.

We have to draft a CB pretty high now.

I kind of like Rollins myself.  We will not get the two best, Waynes and Peters, unless TT moves up which he almost never does.  But I like Rollins.

The thing about this that hurts is it may impact our safety spot. And I was really starring to like that 3 man rotation.  Now Hyde and HHCD may have to do more man to man or doubling up in coverage to conceal a weakness at cornerback.

I mean, we now have Wallace and Calvin Johnson and Jeffery in our division.  Those are all taller guys who can run.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 05:19:34 PM by Gregg »

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 05:20:30 PM »
Don't forget about PJ Williams.

One of the four should be available at 30.

Not sure he'll go that direction or not.

Depends who else is available.

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 05:41:30 PM »
I agree with the sentiments of this thread. Sorry to see him go, but glad he got paid, and it isn't us paying him. I don't think we are desperate at corner but I expect to see it a early priority in the draft.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 05:59:07 PM »
....Nice article about the CB's at the bottom of the roster.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2015/3/16/8223259/packers-tay-glover-wright-tramon-williams-sam-shields

Thanks for glover-wright piece, danno.  He and goodson suddenly become very interesting names, one or the other of whom might play a lot of snaps depending.  I don't know anything, but I admit I'm actually somewhat optimistic about Goodson.  He seems like a strong, tough dude, who might be fairly physical.  Too physical last Autumn, I get that.  But I assume the coaches kept him because they thought his toughness, change-of-direction and acceleration, and physicality give him a shot to be a pretty decent corner. 

Still, corner now looks really vulnerable.  Part of the defense's problem was that they depended on man coverage in order to blitz and create pressure.  If they play with more guys back to cover inexperienced or vulnerable secondary guys, good luck with the pass pressure. 

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 06:01:36 PM »
Two of the advantages with resigning Cobb and Bulaga is that you didn't have to waste high draft picks on T/WR. 

But now with both House and Tramon gone, now all three of our top-3 picks are shot/necessary.  And as we saw from that lousy Thornton pick last year, by the end of the 3rd round you can't exactly count on getting good d-linemen, or having good ILB left.  (We'd have taken on there last year had one been available, that's for sure.) 

Only got one first round pick, so can only get one CB/ILB/NT there.  One of those three very needy spots is going to have to wait for the 3rd round, unfortunately. 

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 06:03:06 PM »
Good for Tramon, but that's way too big of a deal. Im glad GB didnt match. I dont see a realistic chance that Tramon actually plays out that deal.

Rolle was a nice prospect and maybe we should've activated him when Houston plucked him, but let's NOT immediately assume that Goodson is not as good of a player. He just had a stiffer competition to see the field. I'm interested in seeing him compete.

I think the Packers will give Hayward first crack at the job. Can he play on the boundary? That's the question. He's done a nice job in the slot. He did run a 4.47 coming out of college, but it would seem that he isn't as sudden as you would like, but he is a terrific ball hawk.

I also think we definitely draft a CB in rounds 1-3. Marcus Peters, P.J. Williams and Kevin Johnson are probably the 3 best boundary guys that could be there when GB picks at 30. I like Quentin Rollins as a player, but at 4.64, I think he's a slot or Tampa 2 CB only.

Ike Taylor MIGHT be worth a 1 year deal for the vet minimum? Other than that there either way washed up (which Taylor is too) or way to shaky as a player to put any faith in. The CB FA market is sorry.

I think GB should bring back Jarrett Bush, if for nothing more than numbers now. He could be cut later if he doesnt make the club, but he at least offers some experience.

Offline philepps85

• All Pro
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 06:17:09 PM »
I don't have a problem with TT deciding either guy's deal was too rich for his blood. House got starter's money on potential alone, and Williams' deal defies logic.

But I had a major bone to pick with the cutting of Rolle at the time, and that has suddenly resurfaced. I was so impressed with that guy in preseason, I scanned Twitter all the next day after the final cutdown to see if he had cleared waivers. At the time, it was reported that he was informed he'd be up on the 53 before he knew it. Except he wasn't.

Maybe Goodson someday will be a player, but he isn't now – and now is when they need one.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 06:27:16 PM »
...But I had a major bone to pick with the cutting of Rolle at the time, and that has suddenly resurfaced. I was so impressed with that guy in preseason, I scanned Twitter all the next day after the final cutdown to see if he had cleared waivers. At the time, it was reported that he was informed he'd be up on the 53 before he knew it. Except he wasn't.

Maybe Goodson someday will be a player, but he isn't now – and now is when they need one.

Yeah, that was weird.  My hope at that time had been that they'd cut Flynn; in retrospect I wish they'd done that.  O well, water under the bridge, easy to ITYS now. 

As for Goodson, I think it's more precise to say he "wasn't one last August" than that "he isn't now".  It's possible that by this August, September, and October, that he'll be better. 

Offline flowerpac

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 06:33:58 PM »
How about Tillman from DA' Bears?   I know he is older but is a probowler.  Screw Da' Bears once, screw Da' Bears twice, maybe screw Da' Bear three times and sign Briggs to.  Is Briggs an ILB or OLB? Just like Peppers, they may have something to prove and want a chance for a ring!