October 14, 2019, 11:46:27 PM

Author Topic: Your favorite players in this year's draft?  (Read 3668 times)

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
Your favorite players in this year's draft?
« on: April 15, 2015, 09:51:06 AM »
Every year we all find guys in the draft that we just REALLY want on the Packers (or just root for in general). List the ones you want to see in Green & Gold!

Mine for 2015:

Tre McBride - WR - William & Mary - Absolutely OWNS contested catches. Has all the tools to become a great receiver with a little seasoning.

Eric Kendricks
- ILB - UCLA - One of the top ILB's in the draft and seems to be solid in all facets of his game.

Lorenzo Mauldin - OLB - Louisville - Overcame rough upbringing to become a really solid OLB prospect.

Dante Fowler - OLB/DE - Florida - Relatively no chance he's in Green & Gold this season, but love what he brings as an OLB prospect.

Offline backthepack4ever

• All Pro
Re: Your favorite players in this year's draft?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 10:45:37 AM »
Byron Jones.   I love everything about this kid.  He is a leader and was praised for his toughness.  Add the athletic ability and he could be a stud.

Chris Conley.  Another kid that showed at the combine that he has a nice skill set.  He didnt light up the stats, but some of that could be that GA qb play sucks and they like to run alot.  His ypc are great and put him with a good qb he could be a nice wr in the future.  Also a smart kid with high character. 

davis tull.  small school kid but I like his game.  I think he could be a jack of all trades guy at both ILB/OLB. 

Marcus Hardison.  He might not fit our scheme but the 1st time I watch some highlights of this kid, his hand tech and quickness was amazing.  The guy does not let OL get into his body. 

Cory Grant.  He might go undrafted and I would like to give him a shot.  4.2 speed!  Would be nice to find a fulltime KR guy.  Seems to have a chip on his shoulder about being overlooked.  I like that

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 12:30:10 PM »
I love this time of the year when people bring up these out-of-the-woodwork prospects.
I have four players, 2 on defense and 2 on offense.

DEFENSE
Lynden Trail: 6-7 269# and a 4.91 forty
Guy produced and could be used at OLB and DE
    Davis Tull: 6-2 246# and a 4.59 forty. He was defensive player of the year for the conference for all four years (I think)
OFFENSE
David Johnson: RB 6-1 224# 4.5 Can run, block and catch the ball. Perfect compliment to Lacy.
      Rory Anderson: TE 6-5 244# Has been hurt but most have been muscle tears in his arm. Great pass catcher and loves contact. A Finley clone w/o the attitude.

One of the reasons I like Tull is I read an article about him in local paper in TN. Kid has his head right and has performed at a high level. Packers have already shown a lot of interest in him and wanted to see if he could play the middle. That could be very exciting.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline SunshinePacker

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 02:42:04 PM »
I'll leave out players the Packers have no shot at but here's my favs:

Malcolm Brown (NT) - stretching the bounds of "might be available"
Eric Rowe (CB) - Starter for multiple years, very good measurable and has experience at safety in need be
Henry Anderson (DE/DT) - better production than Leonard Williams against the same competition and tested as well as Williams
Jordan Phillips (NT) - Enormous human that's very raw but could be a two-down player his rookie year while learning to use his hands to rush the passer...could do worse than two-down run stuffer as a floor and three-down dominant NT as ceiling
Paul Dawson (ILB) - all he did was produce on the field

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 01:56:13 AM »
  CB Marcus Peters ( RD 1), Best corner in the draft

ILB Eric Kendricks (RD 1), Great football player, day 1 starter. Hope we draft him.

DT/DE Car Davis ( Early 2nd), 3 down beast, could be a force coming in as fresh legs.

RB David Johnson ( RD 3-4), Could be a starter quality all around back-up to Lacy in the future and help get our RB's into the playoffs healthy.

CB Steven Nelson ( RD 3-4) Good Corner.

CB Craig Mager ( RD 3-4) Shrine game star, good corner.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 10:10:35 AM »
As for the first round, I really don't mind as they're all quality players at that point, but if I had to pick my top 2 that might be there would be Peters and Kendricks.

As for players in the mid rounds I like:

Jamison Crowder - WR, Duke - Think he's a lot like Randall Cobb when he was coming out of Kentucky and good return man.  Expected go go in the 4th or so.  Good value IMO

Ameer Abdullah - RB, Nebraska - He's the perfect shifty and small RB that I think would complement our system well.  Really the only thing our offense doesn't have.  He's projected to go in round 2 on a lot of sites, which I really don't think he's worth - but he ran a slow time at the combine and other RB's impressed so I could see him falling to the 3rd round in which case I would hop on that.

Shaq Thompson - ILB/S, Washington - I think the hybrid LB/S players are going to start becoming much more popular in the league in the next few years due to their flexibility and the fact that they can stay on the field in pretty much any package.  Heard some 1st round discussion on him on some sites, while I think it was McShay saying that he would 'have a chance' to go in the 2nd round if he came out as a RB, making me think McShay doesn't believe he'll be drafted in the 2nd round as a LB/S.  If he slips and we don't go LB in the first round I would love to take a shot on him.

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu - CB, Oregon - I thought he played as well as any CB in the nation at times over the last two years.  If he's somehow available on day 3 of the draft I would be all over that.

Online morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 01:02:38 PM »
I stayed with mostly defense and mostly mid-rounders. Guys that I feel will outplay their draft slot.

CB  Eric Rowe- Seems like a good press-man guy with size, smarts and toughness. Plus he can play safety. Worth it at #30?

CB Byron Jones - Yes he is rising fast based on the workouts, but agents appear to have gone back to the tape and like it.

NT  Eddie Goldman - IMO he would be the NT for five or ten years. May be gone at #30.

OLB  Davis Tull - has been mentioned by several posters above. Just have a feeling about him.

OLB Alani Fua - Length, strength and works hard. Nice outside speed rusher for the mid-rounds

OLB Lorenzo Mauldin - Also mentioned by a few above. Great mid-round pass rusher.

TE Jesse James - Cool name

WR Nelson Aghalor - Has the size and speed, plus smarts and great route-running. Another 3rd or 4th round guy that could outplay his draft slot.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 06:36:39 PM »
Kendricks, Peters, Gurley, Gordon, Darby, Perryman, DGB, and a few others
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 12:49:24 PM »
Here are some of Nolan Nawrocki's ( Pro Football Weekly analyst, 2003-2013) favourite guys (imo) at two key positions, DB and ILB. I have included some safeties, though GB is not in dire need.

CB Kevin Johnson 6'0" 188, 4.47 Wake Forest "Very polished press cover man" "Helluva football player". Round 1

CB/FS Byron Jones 6'0.5", 199, 4.40 Connecticut. "Rare lower body explosion". "Very Smooth" Explosive bump and run corner (with the tools) to match with big receivers in zone or man". Round 2

CB/FS Quinten Rollins 5'11", 195, 4.54 Miami (Ohio)  "Has already shown remarkable improvement in his first year there". "Outstanding ball skills". "He actually looks like a running back". "(Unknown scout/GM take) "4 year basketball player". "How does a kid just line up and play ? That is what amazes me". "Quickness, knee-bend, fight, he is a football player.".

FS Jaquiski Tartt 6'1.5", 221, 4.51 Samford. "Sculpted body with knockback power". "Big, strong, fast, physical", "Hurt his shoulder week 2 but never took himself out of a game, though in constant pain". Models himself on Cowboys J.J.Wilcox". Round 2/3

ILB Denzel Perryman 5'10.75" 236, 4.71. Violent striker with knockout body power". "Extremely instinctive". "(Unknown Scout or GM take) He is a stud. He has snap. Jiminy Christmas is he put together." Round 2/3 (late rd 2 in my opinion).

ILB Paul Dawson 6'0", 235, 4.91 TCU. "Good eyes, anticipation and foot fire before the snap". "Field fast and much faster than his timed speed". "Has a great feel for the game"."Could possibly prove the best bubble linebacker in this draft because of his instincts and short-area quickness". Round 3/4 (rd 2/3 in my opinion)

ILB Eric Kendricks 6'0", 232, 4.61. UCLA. "Will make an immediate impact upon his arrival in the pros despite physical shortcomings". "LIke a QB on the field". "(Unknown scout or GM take) - Has the best instincts of any player in this years draft". Round 1.

ILB Jake Ryan 6'2.5", 240, 4.66. Michigan. "Throwback 'Mike' linebacker with the grit, energy and attitude desired in the middle of a defense". "(unknown scout or GM take) I love him. He was a standup outside linebacker before this year.....I feel very good about him as a football player, he will keep getting better". Round 2/3.

As is the case every darned year, I want the Packers to have more than one pick in round 2. There seems to be fine talent there. I love guys like RB Gurley and OLB Odighizuwa too, but that's another story.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:55:04 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 02:59:41 PM »
My favorites:

Stephone Anthony -  love this guy.  Watched a lot of Clemson and think he'd be a great fit.  We need to get bigger and faster all around the field and he fits the bill.

Grady Jarrett - another guy I love - just not for us.  We already have our version in Daniels

Ronald Darby - great potential as a cover corner.  Ball skills are an issue but priority #1 - run w your man and make it difficult on the QB

Clive Walford - never gets considered around here but I think he'd be an upgrade over Rodgers.  Can play down the seam and I think he'll develop into a solid blocker.  He's the only TE I'm interested in

Byron Jones - fits the demand to get bigger and faster defensively.  Even if he proves to be limited as a pure CB I still see him as an upgrade over Hyde as a S/CB hybrid

Nelson Agholor - love him after the 1st tier of wideouts are gone

David Johnson

Kendall Langford
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 03:00:50 PM by ThatGuy284 »

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 07:16:31 PM »
Meant to add Cameron Erving to my list from earlier.  Now gone to the Browns.   I'm a sucker for talented versatile linemen like Erving.  Loved Max Unger a few years ago.

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 10:51:45 AM »
OLB Alani Fua - Length, strength and works hard. Nice outside speed rusher for the mid-rounds

I have myself convinced that Alani Fua would make an excellent 3rd down ILB. Not to say either is right or wrong, I just felt the need to reply because this is the first mention I've seen of Fua anywhere. He actually covered guys in the slot fairly often according to some reports. His coverage ability was a very high praise. That seems almost unheard of for an OLB. These same reports praised his pass rushing, but highly criticized his ability to play the edge as a 3 down player.

I think his game just screams passing down ILB. Good size to battle TE's, the ability to cover man to man, and blitzing ability. Definitely just a specialized role player, but an important and potentially good one in my opinion.

Online morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 01:02:41 PM »

I have myself convinced that Alani Fua would make an excellent 3rd down ILB. Not to say either is right or wrong, I just felt the need to reply because this is the first mention I've seen of Fua anywhere. He actually covered guys in the slot fairly often according to some reports. His coverage ability was a very high praise. That seems almost unheard of for an OLB. These same reports praised his pass rushing, but highly criticized his ability to play the edge as a 3 down player.

I think his game just screams passing down ILB. Good size to battle TE's, the ability to cover man to man, and blitzing ability. Definitely just a specialized role player, but an important and potentially good one in my opinion.

Yeah I agree with you. I also think that Davis Tull and Jake Ryan could move inside and be effective.