July 20, 2018, 05:27:35 AM

Author Topic: Rant & Rage Against the Picks Thread  (Read 11061 times)

Offline B

• HOF Member
Rant & Rage Against the Picks Thread
« on: May 01, 2015, 07:42:24 AM »

I was surprised by the 1st pick, but have nothing to rant about, as I think he is a talented kid with big upside.

However, some who are upset with this and possibly subsequent picks deserve a place to rant, rage and complain, so I thought I would provide the thread.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Rant & Rage Against the Picks Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 01:51:26 PM »
Nice of you to offer this, but it seems there are no takers. Even on Green & Gold Today, the reaction was surprise, but not dismay. Could it be that perhaps, Packers fans have come to- GASP- trust that maybe, perhaps, TT might just know what he's doing? So far, all I've read are some low level grumbles, but nothing close to the overwhelming wave of disgust that followed his 2012? 2013? draft. The one where he was actually booed when he showed up at the Lambeau atrium to address a post draft "celebration", that turned ugly very quickly. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 11:25:34 AM »
In a passing league we have addressed our defensive back field, and added another talent to WR... Not to mention got a solid LB IMO. I don't see a reason to hate this draft at all. It will be a great camp.

Offline Scott1956

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 07:40:29 PM »
The Packers did nothing to help the defensive front 7! A 4th round short, light ILB? Yeah he's 240lbs, but in a 3/4 that's light! And a DE that reminds some on here of Daniels. Let me remind you that Daniels is an average pass rusher and very bad against the run! The run defense once again will be terrible. TT did NOTHING to help it! Maybe he's praying that guys like Bradford, who couldn't grasp any of the concepts in pre-season, will magically be an above average ILB. The 2nd round pick is the worst I've seen! A CB, from a mid-major, who has played college football for 1 whole year and is a slow CB, is going to do what exactly? Probably just as much as a 3rd round WR! If he plays great he will be a 4th or 5th WR! I understand the Special Teams angle, but that should be secondary with the defense they have!

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 07:47:48 PM »
The Packers did nothing to help the defensive front 7! A 4th round short, light ILB? Yeah he's 240lbs, but in a 3/4 that's light! And a DE that reminds some on here of Daniels. Let me remind you that Daniels is an average pass rusher and very bad against the run! The run defense once again will be terrible. TT did NOTHING to help it! Maybe he's praying that guys like Bradford, who couldn't grasp any of the concepts in pre-season, will magically be an above average ILB. The 2nd round pick is the worst I've seen! A CB, from a mid-major, who has played college football for 1 whole year and is a slow CB, is going to do what exactly? Probably just as much as a 3rd round WR! If he plays great he will be a 4th or 5th WR! I understand the Special Teams angle, but that should be secondary with the defense they have!

Where did you here that Bradford's issue was that he couldn't grasp any of the concepts?
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 01:16:29 PM »
Nice of you to offer this, but it seems there are no takers. Even on Green & Gold Today, the reaction was surprise, but not dismay. Could it be that perhaps, Packers fans have come to- GASP- trust that maybe, perhaps, TT might just know what he's doing? So far, all I've read are some low level grumbles, but nothing close to the overwhelming wave of disgust that followed his 2012? 2013? draft. The one where he was actually booed when he showed up at the Lambeau atrium to address a post draft "celebration", that turned ugly very quickly.
Nope. I am not happy with this draft at all.  The major weakness of this team - the front 7 - was not addressed. One real pick and he is another AJ Hawk? Also, using premium pick in the 3rd round on a position that is already loaded = waste. There are several positions that should have been addressed. WR was not one of them. Finally, I am OK now with the 1st round pick. However, Eli Harold, Lorenzo Mauldi, or Paul Dwason were available at the end of the second round and would have addressed a serious need over a CB who seems to be slow footed.  Rounds 5 through 7 never bother me and Hundley was a good pick. But because of the complete joke that was rounds 2 through 4, the front 7 is still a weakness. All the offensive toys in the world won't help when you have to have a stop on D to get the ball back to give you a chance to win but you can't because your Run D is still a turnstile unless you use gimmicks.

I remember once MM famously say "The defense will be better. Mark it Down!". Apparently, that doesn't apply to the run defense. It has sucked for 4 years and, based on this draft,  I don't see any reason it won't suck for the 5th straight year. 
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 02:04:24 PM »
Posted this elsewhere;

Packers have made six straight playoff appearances, won four straight division titles and won a Super Bowl. All this with BAP and draft-and-develop philosophy. Why is it so hard for people to believe TT might know what he’s doing in the draft?
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 02:11:28 PM »
Posted this elsewhere;

Packers have made six straight playoff appearances, won four straight division titles and won a Super Bowl. All this with BAP and draft-and-develop philosophy. Why is it so hard for people to believe TT might know what he’s doing in the draft?

Success does put one above criticism nor does it mean everything he does is right and people must praise him as a genius.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 02:19:52 PM »
Posted this elsewhere;

Success does put one above criticism nor does it mean everything he does is right and people must praise him as a genius.

Genius is your word...don't recall anyone referring him as that.

TT has the credentials and track record that back up his term for the Packers as one of the best GM's in the NFL.

Go ask his peers.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 06:57:51 PM »
Quinten Rollins 40 time 4.57

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/quinten-rollins?id=2552263

Casey Hayward 40 time 4.57

Tramon Williams 40 time 4.57

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=18831&draftyear=2006&genpos=CB
(fixed it)

So I guess we've been abnormally slow at the boundary CB since 2006???
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 07:19:17 PM by dannobanano »

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 07:04:25 PM »

How dare you use facts to argue against blind hatred of TT? Fie on you!
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
Rollins
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 12:43:22 AM »

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=18831&draftyear=2006&genpos=CB
(fixed it)

As someone who thinks the speed may be an issue...

They all ran similar speeds, no doubt about it.

Tramon though, is a lot quicker than fast.  Which currently Rollins is not.

Hayward was amazing as a rookie, but since the injuries he's been beat badly consistently - including the 4th Q and OT in our playoff loss against Seattle.

I'm hopeful for Rollins and think he could develop over time, but as I've mentioned in the Draft Day threads, he was terribly slow in the 40 and didn't manage to crack the top 15 (not top 15 overall, top 15 at his own position) in the shuttle (quickness).

The potential is there by all means, but to assume those aren't remotely worrisome is a bit off basis if you ask me
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:44:40 AM by bbayley »

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 01:52:02 AM »
Posted this elsewhere;

Genius is your word...don't recall anyone referring him as that.

TT has the credentials and track record that back up his term for the Packers as one of the best GM's in the NFL.

Go ask his peers.
So? That doesn't mean he is always right and above criticism. Justin Harrell and Derek Sherrod alone prove that.  Yet, you seem to imply that TT is not to be ciriticized.  Nobody may have actually said the word "genoius", but it is implied with how you pout his credentials that "how dare you criticize this great man".

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 04:28:21 AM »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Rollins
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 04:36:33 AM »

(fixed it)

As someone who thinks the speed may be an issue...

They all ran similar speeds, no doubt about it.

Tramon though, is a lot quicker than fast.  Which currently Rollins is not.

Hayward was amazing as a rookie, but since the injuries he's been beat badly consistently - including the 4th Q and OT in our playoff loss against Seattle.

I'm hopeful for Rollins and think he could develop over time, but as I've mentioned in the Draft Day threads, he was terribly slow in the 40 and didn't manage to crack the top 15 (not top 15 overall, top 15 at his own position) in the shuttle (quickness).

The potential is there by all means, but to assume those aren't remotely worrisome is a bit off basis if you ask me

Williams 20-shuttle of 4.20 vs Rollins 4.28 is not significant. The 3-cone was Williams 6.95 vs Rollins 7.10 (he could have re-run at his pro day but chose to stand on those numbers).

One of Rollins deficiencies coming out of college (and due to lack of experience) is his footwork. I am one who believes that Whitt will bring about improvements that will be translated to the field in these areas for Rollins. The one thing this kid has more of than Williams did is instincts. Williams guessed, a lot, and while he made some splash plays, he also got burned a lot as well.

I guess we will have to see how it plays out because we can't change what has already happened.