August 18, 2019, 08:34:54 PM

Author Topic: You're on the clock...with the XXX pick,  (Read 5467 times)

Offline davekenya

• HOF Member
You're on the clock...with the XXX pick,
« on: May 05, 2015, 07:15:35 PM »
This is a reverse of a mock draft...

Look at the players TT and the Packer brass selected in each round.
Go on record NOW and list out who you'd have taken at that spot instead of who TT took.

Rules:
It's fine to pick the same player TT did, but also switch to someone taken by a team later on.
You cannot trade back or forward - just use the same spots.
You must choose one and only one player at that spot (no 'I'd take X or Y at that spot')
Because several players have the same name, it'd help to ID which team or position they play.  Thanks!

We can then look back in a year and see who of us would have selected a better group based on who TT had available to him.

GO FOR IT! ;D

P.S.  I have last year's results and will post them in a week.  They're interesting!

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
Re: You're on the clock...with the XXX pick,
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 11:11:44 PM »
Surprised nobody has posted in here yet.

1.) NT: Malcolm Brown, Texas - I like Randall just fine, but I still feel like Brown has amazing potential to anchor the inside of a 3-4 defense with the positional flexibility to slide off the nose in nickle situations. This was the guy I was hoping for when the pick was made. I'm going to stick with that gut feeling.

2.) CB: Quinten Rollins, Miami (OH) - Great pick. Would have considered swapping it out if either Maxx Williams or Randy Gregory had slipped to 62, but I'm really happy with this pick. Great athlete who has a natural feel for the game. It's impressive what he managed to do in his one year of competitive football.

3.) WR/KR: Ty Montgomery, Stanford - During the draft, I wanted T. J. Clemmings, but I'm going to keep this pick for two reasons. #1 - it keeps Cobb and Hyde from being primary return men, since I think both are starters this next season and I'd like to see less wear and tear. That's where Montgomery will contribute early on. And #2 - Terrence Murphy, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, Jermichael Finley (TE), Randall Cobb, Davante Adams and Richard Rodgers (TE). That's the list of pass catchers that TT has drafted in rounds 2 & 3 during his tenure. Murphy is the only one who didn't contribute, and we never got to see him because of his neck issue. The past results speak for themselves. I'm going to trust TT on this one.

4.) LB: Kyle Emanuel, North Dakota State - Winner of 4 strait FCS Championships. Relentless motor, great character and work ethic and far more athletic than I expected him to be. I loved this kid leading up to the draft. He's a college DE that I think should move to ILB in the NFL. He reminds me a lot of Tedi Bruschi.

5.) QB: Brett Hundley, UCLA - Has all the physical skills necessary to be successful at the MOST important position in the NFL. McCarthy is one of the top QB friendly coaches in the league. If they can help him tap into his potential, he could be one of the biggest steals in the draft. Classic case of a guy staying too long and not cashing in after a great season. . . he followed it up with a down year and dropped. I keep the trade and the pick.

6.) FB: Aaron Ripkowski, Oklahoma - More of a thumper than an all-around player like Kunh, but I love the pick. I'd like to see some pistol stuff with Rip and Lacy in the backfield. I think that he has great special teams potential as well. Seems like a smart, hard-working, blue-collar player that every team needs a few of. That's really all you can hope for out of 6th round picks. . . unless there's two potential 1st round talents still on the board for reasons that have nothing to do with their game. . .

6.) T/G: La'el Collins, LSU - I understand why TT and company passed, but I wouldn't have. I'd have made a business/football decision that he would have been cleared by the police and locked up his draft rights. I think his agent was huffing and puffing about sitting out until the next draft, but even if he did. . . it would have been worth the risk. Protects against injury and maybe pushes for a starting job somewhere.

6.) CB: Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon - A little on the small side, but a really solid cover corner before the injury. There's a risk that he doesn't recover, but it's nowhere near the same risk taken by St. Louis and Cincinnati in drafting Gurley and Ogbuehi in the first round. Redshirt him. Let him fully heal and then come back next year to compete.

After the draft, I'd have kept 6 of the players that they signed (OG: Matt Rotherham - Pittsburgh, CB: Ladarius Gunter - Miami, RB: John Crockett - North Dakota State, CB: Bernard Blake - Colorado State, OLB: James Vaughers - Stanford, and ILB: Tavarus Dantzler - Beth.-Cookman) and then gone hard after a dozen others that I really saw great value in (TE: Wes Saxton - South Alabama, TE: Eric Tomlinson - UTEP,  FB/RB: Tyler Varga - Yale, WR: Jake Kumerow - Wisc.-Whitewater, WR: Dres Anderson - Utah, NT: Joey Mbu - Houston, DE: Derrick Lott - Tenn.-Chattanooga, OLB: Alani Fua - BYU, OLB: Zach Hodges - Harvard, ILB: Zach Vigil - Utah State, CB: Jacoby Glenn - Coastal Carolina and CB: Cam Thomas - Western Kentucky)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 11:16:13 PM by Ellis269 »

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 01:17:30 AM »
Hmmm. I might be tempted to go as follows:

1) ILB Kendricks
2) CB Rollins
3) ILB Dawson
4) DE  Marcus Hardison
5) RB Jay Ajayi
6) FB Ripkowski
6) OT Anthony Morris
6) NT Deon Simon

(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 06:59:35 AM »

Go on record NOW and list out who you'd have taken at that spot instead of who TT took.

Rules:
It's fine to pick the same player TT did, but also switch to someone taken by a team later on.
You must choose one and only one player at that spot (no 'I'd take X or Y at that spot')
Because several players have the same name, it'd help to ID which team or position they play.  Thanks!

We can then look back in a year and see who of us would have selected a better group based on who TT had available to him.

GO FOR IT! ;D

P.S.  I have last year's results and will post them in a week.  They're interesting!

The only thing I would have done differently, is take a late round flyer on La'el Collins. I believe it's fine to use a 6th or 7th on an individual with concerns, if their upside warrants it.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 07:03:09 AM »

Rules:

GO FOR IT! ;D

The only thing I would have done differently, is take a late round flyer on La'el Collins. I believe it's fine to use a 6th or 7th on an individual with concerns, if their upside warrants it.

Me too.  When it is all said and done Jerry will end up with the biggest steal of this offseason.   :-\

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 09:42:18 AM »

Rules:

GO FOR IT! ;D

Me too.  When it is all said and done Jerry will end up with the biggest steal of this offseason.   :-\

And he might need that "steal" after drafting two guys who are already in the substance abuse program and one step away from suspension.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 12:49:59 PM »
My draft would have probably looked like this.

Round 1 - Malcom Brown NT

Round 2 - Quinten Rollins CB

Round 3 - T.J Clemmings OT

Round 4 - Jake Ryan LB

Round 5 - Brett Hundley QB

Round 6a - Josh Furman CB

Round 6b - Reshard Cliett OLB

Round 6c - Corey Robinson OT

I would have been very happy with that draft.

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 08:21:56 PM »
1-Dorial Green Beckham...WR  Missouri
2- Quinten Rollins...CB  Miami OH
3- T.J Clemmings  OT  Pittsburgh
4- Jake Ryan LB Michigan
5- Brett Hundley QB UCLA
6- Aaron Ripkowski  FB  Olklahoma
6- Christian Ringo DE Lousville-Lafaytette
6-Kennard Backman TE UAB

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 08:00:52 AM »
Just for fun, since I have no problem with TT's picks... I don't make the Patriot trade and I pull the trigger on the following

1- Malcom Brown... NT Texas
2- Quinten Rollins...CB  Miami OH
3- Paul Dawson... ILB TCU
4- Jake Ryan... LB Michigan
5- Damian Swann... CB Georgia
6- Tre McBride... WR WILLIAM & MARY
6- Anthony Chickillo... OLB/DE   Miami
6- Kennard Backman... TE UAB
7- Darryl Roberts... CB  Marshall
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 09:37:51 AM »
Thought I posted this yesterday but I must have gotten side tracked.

Rd 1 - Malcom Brown NT, Texas
Brings the run stuffing NT that this defense is currently lacking. 

Rd 2 - Quinten Rollins CB, Miami OH
I like the kids upside though his lack of athletism for the CB position and experience scares me.  Had we not spent our 1st pick on a project, I'd have felt better about the Packers selection of him.

Rd 3 - Paul Dawson, ILB TCU
I know this kid's measureables aren't what people liked but I think he's a gritty player and a playmaker at ILB.

Rd 4 - Tony Lippett, WR, MSU
WR/ KR/ CB extraodinaire.

Rd 5 - Jesse James, TE, PSU
Freak athlete who had pretty good production at PSU. 

Rd 6- Ifo Ekpre-Olomu CB Oregon
He's short but I really like this kid's edge. 

Rd 6 - Bryce Hager, ILB Baylor
Smart and instinctive. 

Rd 6-  Jake Rodgers, OL
Good athlete, former TE who could be a possible swing T. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Zyvlyn

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 03:22:29 PM »
1. Malcom Brown, DT, Texas
I'm not going to win any originality awards for this one, but whatcha gonna do?  Great penetrator with the character and dedication to continue to improve.

2. Quinten Rollins, CB, Miami (OH)
I have no problem with this pick.  Good value at a position of need.  Lacks experience, but is bursting with potential.

3. TJ Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh
Not a need, but too much value to pass up at this point.  Clemmings is raw and may not be able to handle speed rush well enough to be a starting LT, but can be a more than solid backup and is great insurance if Lang or Sitton leave in 2017.

4. Ben Heeney, ILB, Kansas
A bit undersized, but plays physical and has some good production against both run and pass.

5. Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA
Great value here.  With time to develop on the more cerebral aspects of the position, he can push for the number 2 spot and could net a decent draft pick as a trade or comp. down the line.

6. Marcus Murphy, RB, Missouri
Small, but elusive runner who is about as versatile as they come.  Has scored touchdowns rushing (16), receiving (2), and returning kicks (5) and punts (2).

6. Darryl Roberts, CB, Marshall
Is very, very raw, but has the athleticism to be a player if he can develop.

6. Taiwan Jones, ILB, Michigan State
Downhill, run-stuffing, thumper.  Doesn't offer much in pass coverage, but has the size, technique and attitude to be a factor in the run defense.

Offline backthepack4ever

• All Pro
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 08:17:50 AM »
DGB.   way to much talent and upside.  I think he will be a monster.  Put him in our O and no d could cover all are weapons

Rollins.  I really liked this pick.  I didnt think he would still be on the board.  He will make plays

TJ Clemmings.  Very raw but has the things you look for in a OT.  Gonna take some time.

Davis Tull.  I love this kid and think he is going to be a player.  Would fit at ILB  and can also get after the QB

Brett Hundley.  Great Pick here by TT

Aaron Ripkowski.  Another pick I am fine with.  Time to get younger at FB

Kristjan Sokoli.  6'5 300  and a pure athlete.  would have been a nice project 5 tech

La'el Collins.  1st round player that should have been drafted. 

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 11:46:39 AM »
I left Collins off because I'm taking his agent at his word.  Had Collins been selected he could have sat out the entire 2015 season and entered the 2016 draft which is something his agent said he'd do. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 04:37:23 PM »
Just found this......................

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/05/06/10-biggest-draft-reaches/

Maybe it's a good thing Ted took who he did at XXX rather than some of the more talked about choices on this board.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 09:37:15 AM »
PFF is always interesting.   This is the same crew that had Garry Peters as the #1 rated CB (not Marcus.....Garry) and Troy Hill as a top 5 option.  Both UDFA's btw.

Just some food for thought for some of the people so quick to make PFF grades the end-all, be-all of player performance/potential without regard to scheme, responsibility, play-calls, adjustments, etc which they have no team-specific knowledge of