September 21, 2018, 09:55:02 PM

Author Topic: Bored so I did a mock  (Read 3962 times)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
Bored so I did a mock
« on: December 20, 2012, 05:39:06 PM »
Back: Jennings, Jones
Gone: Woodson, Driver, Bishop, Benson, Saturday, Finley

I feel the value is in the 2nd through 4th rounds.
1   Trade down for a 2nd and 3rd            
2a   Da'Rick Rogers   WR   Tennessee Tech 6'3   206 (raw, talented and I don't expect too much rookie year.)
2b   Chase Thomas   OLB   Stanford   6'4  248 (non stop motor)
3a   Nico Johnson   ILB   Alabama   6'2  245 (one of my favorite players in draft)
3b    Everett Gholston   DE   Michigan State  6'6   280 (boom or bust, I think boom at next level)
4a   Gabe Jackson   G   Mississippi State  6'4   320 (I want bigger offensive line)
4b   Graham Pocic   C   Illinois   6'5   310 (see above. This kid is tough and will develop)
5   Theo Riddick   RB   Notre Dame  5'11   200 (Love this kid. Wish he were 15 lbs bigger)
6   Dustin Hoffman   K   Florida State   6'2   190 (Have you seen Crosby lately?)
7   Montorio Hughes   NT   Tennessee-Martin   6'3  330 (small college space eater. Needs time)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 05:43:27 PM by golfman »
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
Re: Bored so I did a mock
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 11:14:44 PM »

2a   Da'Rick Rogers   WR   Tennessee Tech 6'3   206 (raw, talented and I don't expect too much rookie year.)
3a   Nico Johnson   ILB   Alabama   6'2  245 (one of my favorite players in draft)
3b    Everett Gholston   DE   Michigan State  6'6   280 (boom or bust, I think boom at next level)
4a   Gabe Jackson   G   Mississippi State  6'4   320 (I want bigger offensive line)
4b   Graham Pocic   C   Illinois   6'5   310 (see above. This kid is tough and will develop)
5   Theo Riddick   RB   Notre Dame  5'11   200 (Love this kid. Wish he were 15 lbs bigger)
6   Dustin Hoffman   K   Florida State   6'2   190 (Have you seen Crosby lately?)
7   Montorio Hughes   NT   Tennessee-Martin   6'3  330 (small college space eater. Needs time)

Nice overall draft! some players have used in previous mock myself there. i love Rogers and don't think he's that raw, but he has a set of hands and can take a hit too.

I don't care for Gholston and would prefer a different DL there. I have a thing against guys who have talent and don't get it done in college. Have to disagree with you on him.

Surprised no TE with Finley gone.....

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 05:02:54 AM »

Nice overall draft! some players have used in previous mock myself there. i love Rogers and don't think he's that raw, but he has a set of hands and can take a hit too.

I don't care for Gholston and would prefer a different DL there. I have a thing against guys who have talent and don't get it done in college. Have to disagree with you on him.

Surprised no TE with Finley gone.....

After the first couple I am not that high on them. Many like the kid from Michigan State, but he does nothing for me. I think we roll with what we have next year. If we could land one of the top 2 I'd take one, but not that fond of the rest. I would have liked to get a CB and QB, but it didn't work out.

I also completely understand your position on Gholston. This is more of a hunch thing. Actually, I think he's going to have one of those freak combines and will be long gone by the 3rd.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 05:47:26 AM »
A rather odd assortment. If you are writing about James Jones, I believe he's signed through next year. Why wouldn't he be back? Jennings being back is highly debatable. If some other team decides they want to throw big bucks at him, he's gone. And there is almost always some team that will throw big bucks at a big name player.

I'm also a bit surprised that you have Benson gone, but really surprised you have Bishop departing. Bishop was not only a decent pass rusher, but he gave the defense a nastier presence, which they sorely need. Whether Finley is gone or not debatable- as we've seen in two extensive posts on this board.

Trading draft picks is always a very "iffy" proposition. Especially when you write the Packers will get a 2nd and 3rd for a late first round pick. I'm skeptical this would happen. In your projected 2a you have a WR who will not contribute his first year. OK, the Packers have that luxury, especially if Jennings returns. But an OLB at 2b is a puzzler. The Packers just drafted Nick Perry to complement CMIII. So, why another OLB? 3a, an ILB is an interesting choice. If he is decent in coverage, great. More leverage to reduce Hawk's salary. 3b, Gholston? Boom/bust? Why do you think he'll suddenly blossom in the NFL? A guard and center in the 4th. Center, OK. Guard? I'd prefer an OT, since Sherrod is not a sure thing at this point. Also, Sitton. Lang and EDS seem to be a pretty solid, young group. RB and K in 5 and 6 are fine, as is the NT at 7. I'd like to see some pocket pushers on the DL earlier, plus a safety to replace Woodson. Or even a late round developmental QB.

Thanks for trying.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 06:29:30 AM »
Ricky,

Brad Jones not James Jones. I think Jennings (or I hope, gets franchised if no contract is worked out.) It's very doable based on that number and what he's making now. If we free up Finley's money we have enough to get Matthews extended as well, plus.

Benson gone = age, injury. He only signed for one year, see Ryan Grant who will be gone again next year.

The drafting of the OLBer is based on value. Also, look what happened to our pass rush after Matthews went out. Now with the hopeful development of Perry and Moses it could be considered a luxuary, but you can never have enough pass rushers and this kid can drop into coverage.

Nico Johnson will be a 3 down linebacker in the NFL. Watch the National Championship game. He's going to be a better pro than Te'o and I'm a Golden Domer.

No QB's worth taking very weak year IMO. I'm thinking Sherrod and Bulaga are fine and have some hope for Datko after a year in the weight room. They love his footwork. EDS is a free agent and I'm not as sold on him as you are. Evidently neither is TT or MM because when Lang came back he went to the bench and they left Barclay in.

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 06:44:36 AM »
Golfman,

I loved your mock.  I'm usually a fan of trading down and maneuvering around the draft.

But here is what I really like about your draft.  Your first pick.  In the first round, I'm worried about him.  But in the second?  A steal, IMO.  Huge upside.

I love both of your linebacker selections.  Solid guys, high effort guys and guys that have won.  And they are big.  Nice.

Gholston, boom or bust, just like what you said.  Nice flier to take if he is still there.

And I love taking the offensvie linemen in the 4'th.  Good value.

Offline realitybytes

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 06:57:39 AM »
Golfman,

I loved your mock.  ...

hey, how about mine?

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 07:14:09 AM »
Golfman,

I loved your mock.  ...

hey, how about mine?

Sorry golf.  Yours is the second best mock I've seen.  Tough to beat the ole faux mock...  :)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 07:19:02 AM »
Golfman,

I loved your mock.  ...

hey, how about mine?

Sorry golf.  Yours is the second best mock I've seen.  Tough to beat the ole faux mock...  :)

I especially love the bacon collar! Nice Mock!

50PoundHead

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 09:02:15 AM »
Interesting draft.  I don't follow the college game as much as I used to, but I've seen a lot of Gholston this season and my impression is the same as yours.  He strikes me as a single-digit Wonderlic guy as I can't remember a guy making as many stupid plays on a football field, but there is no questioning his physical talent.  He may have to put on 10-15 pounds to play DE in the 3-4, but if he could do that and keep his speed (and become a more disciplined player), the sky is the absolute limit for him.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 09:49:42 AM »
Interesting draft.  I don't follow the college game as much as I used to, but I've seen a lot of Gholston this season and my impression is the same as yours.  He strikes me as a single-digit Wonderlic guy as I can't remember a guy making as many stupid plays on a football field, but there is no questioning his physical talent.  He may have to put on 10-15 pounds to play DE in the 3-4, but if he could do that and keep his speed (and become a more disciplined player), the sky is the absolute limit for him.

He's got the frame to put on that weight, but my thought until then was use him in passing situations. The guy can be unblockable if he chooses. Getting 3rd round money and not 1st with a coach to motivate him could be the medicine he needs.

In today's NFL what you need on defense is defensive backs and pass rusher, but not in that order. We have DB's IMO, but the more pass rushers the better. This draft adds two more to the mix IMO and that kind of competition makes everyone better.

The draft won't play out anywhere near this, but if it did, our defense would be dominant for a few years to come.

Offline Bud

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 03:49:03 PM »
I wouldn't mind this at all golf. I never claim to know anything about thes things but I would be happy if the draft shook out like this. Especially the Nico pick.
“Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.” ~ Dan Gable