November 30, 2020, 12:25:17 PM

Author Topic: My Mock?  (Read 3319 times)

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
My Mock?
« on: December 29, 2012, 01:03:15 PM »
No trades, no comp picks, and just the Packers.

Round 1 #32: Jesse Willaims NT, Alabama. Hoping he falls, but I doubt it. Pickett has only a few miles left in the tank, so finding another NT is VERY important to this 3-4 defense. If he looked in the mirror he might see Ryan Pickett... they really compare favorably. Williams played the 5 tech mostly, but showed the ability to play NT. From what I've seen from games he moves inside on passing downs, as credit to his ability to push the pocket. He has a bull rush that is second to none in this draft class. Not a finished product by any means, but he would certainly protect the future of the defense.

-Alternate pick:Keenan Allen WR, California. Hoping he falls as well. GB loves to amass YAC, and this kid has shown no trouble getting them. Despite, playing on a team with no other threats and inconsistent QB play he was able to be productive. Even when the defense went all in to stop him. He is everything GB looks for in a WR: He can play every position, runs good routes, great hands, and good speed for a guy his size.

Round 2 #62 Chase Thomas OLB, Stanford. GB has to find more pass rushers. Clay Matthews is a one man wrecking crew, but he could be even better with the offense having to worry about someone else. Thomas has a knack for making plays, and from what I've seen a good pass rusher. Watch the clip I put from the ND game, and you will fall in love with him in the first 30 seconds.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv3tkp8O_6c - Link to ND game. Sorry don't know the parameters of posting the clips actually on the site.

-Alternate pick: Eddie Lacy RB, Alabama. I know I say GB doesn't need a RB, but the Championship game gave me a new look. I don't necessarily want a RB, but I like Lacy going to GB.  I would prefer Thomas over Lacy by a huge margin.

Round 3 #94 Stedman Bailey WR, WVU. I like finding a WR or TE of this caliber at this point in the draft. Bailey has been extremely productive for the Mountaineers. With players like Austin on the field with him you wouldn't expect him to have over 100 receptions and 23 TDs, but he has been very consistent. I see a lot of value in this pick

-Last alternate pick: Joseph Fauria TE, UCLA. He's got the size, speed, and hands you look for in a TE. However, he is deceptively quick in his cuts allowing him to run excellent routes. At 6'7 he is a huge target down in the redzone, and able to make the tough catches over the middle. He uses his body well against defenders, and has improved his blocking. Lots of things to like with both picks, but Bailey>Fauria.

Round 4 #126? Kyle Long OT, Oregan. Love the bloodlines here. He may stay in school another year, but if his application is denied he should go somewhere in this range.

Round 5 #158 Spencer Long C, Nebraska. I love the walk on story, and the value he brings in the 5th round. Very strong developmental prospect for C/G.

Round 6 #190 Bruce Taylor ILB, Virginia Tech. Need to bolster the ILB group with some young talent. He's got a lot of Bishop in him.

Round 7 #232 Meh I'll leave it blank for now.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
Re: My Mock?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 01:03:30 PM »
Reserved.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 07:31:06 PM »
Sorry that was a 2011 link. Misclicked it when I went back to the youtube page. Regardless, both games against ND he was exceptional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy5CCo4dcLE - This is their 2012 rematch and was equally impressive both times.

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 03:24:30 PM »
No trades, no comp picks, and just the Packers.

Round 1 #32: Jesse Willaims NT, Alabama. Hoping he falls, but I doubt it. Pickett has only a few miles left in the tank, so finding another NT is VERY important to this 3-4 defense. If he looked in the mirror he might see Ryan Pickett... they really compare favorably. Williams played the 5 tech mostly, but showed the ability to play NT. From what I've seen from games he moves inside on passing downs, as credit to his ability to push the pocket. He has a bull rush that is second to none in this draft class. Not a finished product by any means, but he would certainly protect the future of the defense.

-Alternate pick:Keenan Allen WR, California. Hoping he falls as well. GB loves to amass YAC, and this kid has shown no trouble getting them. Despite, playing on a team with no other threats and inconsistent QB play he was able to be productive. Even when the defense went all in to stop him. He is everything GB looks for in a WR: He can play every position, runs good routes, great hands, and good speed for a guy his size.

Round 2 #62 Chase Thomas OLB, Stanford. GB has to find more pass rushers. Clay Matthews is a one man wrecking crew, but he could be even better with the offense having to worry about someone else. Thomas has a knack for making plays, and from what I've seen a good pass rusher. Watch the clip I put from the ND game, and you will fall in love with him in the first 30 seconds.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv3tkp8O_6c - Link to ND game. Sorry don't know the parameters of posting the clips actually on the site.

-Alternate pick: Eddie Lacy RB, Alabama. I know I say GB doesn't need a RB, but the Championship game gave me a new look. I don't necessarily want a RB, but I like Lacy going to GB.  I would prefer Thomas over Lacy by a huge margin.

Round 3 #94 Stedman Bailey WR, WVU. I like finding a WR or TE of this caliber at this point in the draft. Bailey has been extremely productive for the Mountaineers. With players like Austin on the field with him you wouldn't expect him to have over 100 receptions and 23 TDs, but he has been very consistent. I see a lot of value in this pick

-Last alternate pick: Joseph Fauria TE, UCLA. He's got the size, speed, and hands you look for in a TE. However, he is deceptively quick in his cuts allowing him to run excellent routes. At 6'7 he is a huge target down in the redzone, and able to make the tough catches over the middle. He uses his body well against defenders, and has improved his blocking. Lots of things to like with both picks, but Bailey>Fauria.

Round 4 #126? Kyle Long OT, Oregan. Love the bloodlines here. He may stay in school another year, but if his application is denied he should go somewhere in this range.

Round 5 #158 Spencer Long C, Nebraska. I love the walk on story, and the value he brings in the 5th round. Very strong developmental prospect for C/G.

Round 6 #190 Bruce Taylor ILB, Virginia Tech. Need to bolster the ILB group with some young talent. He's got a lot of Bishop in him.

Round 7 #232 Meh I'll leave it blank for now.

Nice Mock and second options.....

I had Williams in a prior Mock and still wonder after watching Peterson run wild on us twice this year, if another "Big" isn't needed? As explained in that prior mock, Pickett is getting older and what would we do if the worst happened and we lost Raji for a good share or entire season?

Williams could play anywhere along the D-Line and already has experience doing that, plus he has a high ceiling imo.

I'm not as high on Thomas as many are, but understand the reasoning behind it...

Kyle has been denied another year, so will be coming out. hard to say where in the draft he'll go as he could have used another year in school.

I almost used ILBer Taylor myself.... ;)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 05:08:46 PM »
I think I go into every draft wanting the same things. I want pass rushers, shut down CB and offensive linemen. As long as we have Rodgers in place and the receiving corp we have those are going to be my priorities.

I think Jesse Williams would be a great pick. Pickett is getting up there and next year will undoubtedly be his last in Green Bay. I'd still perfer a dynamic pass rusher than a 'big ugly.'
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 06:24:58 PM »
I like it. Love the first two picks. Two good sized, physical and versatile defenders to add to the mix and compete. I like Bailey fine in the 3rd, but I don't think Long will last that long and I like him better. His potential is high. I'd rather look for a wideout later and grab the lineman earlier. I'd also like to see them look for a RB. Later picks are okay for me, but seem more like guys who'd struggle to make the roster. I'd rather see guys who have breakout potential to excel. Boom or bust type guys.

Offline Draft Hobbyist

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 07:26:37 PM »
Hmmmm...it's not a bad mock at all. I do like Jesse Williams, but I just don't know that he fits what we want to do. Capers likes his NT's to have the ability to pass rush. Williams isn't that guy. Williams is more like a Gilbert Brown clogger, but he clogs things up so well that I really like him. Vince Wilfork is 31. Look for the Patriots to take him before us because we'll be picking 32 unless we make a trade. <:-)} I'm on board with a WR in the 1st assuming we can get the #1 WR on our board and we lose Jennings.

In the second round I think everyone would love Chase Thomas. I'd say he's more likely to go in the 1st round than the bottom of the 2nd, but there's always that chance and there is a chance of moving up to grab him, too. TT has made a lot of moves in the 2nd round. I really do not like Eddie Lacy, though. If we could get him in the 4th round then maybe, but I think the 2nd round is way too high for him. The thing that he has going for him is that there aren't many RB's that our his size this year. Le'veon Bell would be a good later alternative, though, if you want that big type of RB.

I'm a big Stedman Bailey fan and have been all year. I've seen him drop to the 3rd and 4th rounds in mocks and I think that's a big mistake. If he does get overshadowed by Austin enough to drop him into the 4th round he's a guy I'd trade up to get or we could just take him in the 3rd like you have. I'm not a fan of Fauria in the 3rd at all, though. I don't like his body control and I don't agree that he has good hands. I think he's very raw, and I have a gut feeling that he doesn't work that hard just judging by how raw he is but I don't really have anything to back that up. I wouldn't consider him until the 5th round.

Kyle Long is interesting. I doubt he lasts this long. My only worry about him is do we really want to bring a guy who was an alcoholic to Wisconsin? That just sounds like a bad combination.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 06:17:28 AM »
I think Green Bay will get either Williams or a player like him in the draft this year. If they can find an OLB like Thomas they would pull that trigger as well. I don't see them picking any WR that isn't at least 5-11 or 6-0 feet tall. They have Cobb for the slot and need a Jennings replacement. A pure route runner over the middle vs. a speedy quick player. Tonight check out the OK LT and see how he performs against the American Moore. That is a player I see Green Bay going after. TE may be a priority pick this draft and Fauria would be ideal.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 06:56:46 AM »
I really liked this mock and the alternatives.  I think Fauria in the third would be a great value pick.