December 06, 2019, 05:22:31 AM

Author Topic: Mason Crosby  (Read 3612 times)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
Mason Crosby
« on: November 15, 2015, 04:58:08 PM »
Did anybody actually think he was going to make that kick? I had zero confidence he would. A few years ago I wanted him cut which the year prior I started referring to him as Mason Crossbar. He had two good years since then yet still, I do not remember him making a game winning kick. IMO, you could look in his at his demeanor and know he wasn't going to make that kick.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Mason Crosby
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 05:27:55 PM »
If you'll recall, Crosby managed to tie the Seahawks with a clutch kick in a very hostile environment in Seattle in the NFC championship game. He had a terrible season a couple of years ago, but was extremely consistent before and since. Here's his stats:

http://www.nfl.com/player/masoncrosby/2507232/careerstats

Yes, he shanked the kick against the Lions. But to condemn him in such absolute terms is simply advancing a personal agenda. Which would be fine- except the entire Packers offense in particular has played without anything approaching competence the last three weeks. Its as if the bye week, rather than rejuvenating them, deflated their confidence and competence. Personally, I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of Crosby. Recall that a few years ago, the Packers let Jon Ryan go, and had a hard time replacing him. I think it would be the same story if the Packers parted ways with Crosby.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 05:35:32 PM »
He is great when kicking big field goals with a.lead
 When he is behind its atrocious. In I believe 2008-2009 or 2009-2010 he was the biggest reason for.losses.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 06:24:11 PM »

I thought it a kick he could make.
He's kicked longer FG's in the past - what made that one different - nothing in my view.
He had a bad year - a year of two ago. Since then he's been one of the leagues better kicker.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 07:02:37 PM »
FWIW, there's some speculation that the kick hit Masthay's off hand. I saw a close-up video and it does look like it glances off Masthay's right hand. In any case, I have no issue with Crosby. Masthay, on the other hand...

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 08:46:56 PM »
He is great when kicking big field goals with a.lead
 When he is behind its atrocious. In I believe 2008-2009 or 2009-2010 he was the biggest reason for.losses.

08: 27 of 34.
09: 27 of 36.
10: 22 of 28.

If you can find the games he cost the Packers victories, please share them. Though, to be fair, I do remember feeling very tense many times when Crosby was kicking. Something I never felt with Jacke or Longwell. But atrocious? That's harsh.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 05:53:33 AM »
"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

"Be careful of what you wish for..."

No one will confuse Crosby for the consistency of Robbie Gould or Blaire Walsh, but he is a pretty good kicker.  You don't just replace him on a whim because you cold do a lot worse.  look at what the Lions are going through.

Reminds me of the Romo situation.  A lot of Dallas fans want him out because they feel he chokes in the playoffs.  Even Jerry Jones wanted to replace him with Manziel.  Now they are getting a full dose of what was wrong with their thinking.

Bad kick yesterday, but with a kick that long it was around 50-50 anyway.  The team didn't lose because of Crosby, he was unable to save them from all of their issues in the game.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 06:07:38 AM »
Crosby is a good kicker.  Keep in mind he kicks in all conditions at Lambeau throughout the season, and he is a great onside kicker.  Having a bad kicker changes your whole approach.  Crosby hasnt lost my confidence.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 06:09:37 AM »

Good point Twain. Crosby's an asset and hasnt been the cause for any of this season's "L's"
Last season's issues seemed to be more blocking related as opposed to "head scratching" misses.
We've enough holes to fill. He's not one of them IMO.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 06:15:51 AM »

No one will confuse Crosby for the consistency of Robbie Gould or Blaire Walsh, but he is a pretty good kicker.  You don't just replace him on a whim because you cold do a lot worse.  look at what the Lions are going through.

Reminds me of the Romo situation.  A lot of Dallas fans want him out because they feel he chokes in the playoffs.  Even Jerry Jones wanted to replace him with Manziel.  Now they are getting a full dose of what was wrong with their thinking.

Bad kick yesterday, but with a kick that long it was around 50-50 anyway.  The team didn't lose because of Crosby, he was unable to save them from all of their issues in the game.

Agree, Crosby is a good kicker. I just never want the game in his hands at at the end. His body language and the look in his eyes suggest that is not a position he wants to be in.

I really hope he gets a chance and proves me wrong, but he's not what I would refer to as having ice in his veins, wanting to be that guy at the end.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 06:18:26 AM »

Good point Twain. Crosby's an asset and hasnt been the cause for any of this season's "L's"
Last season's issues seemed to be more blocking related as opposed to "head scratching" misses.
We've enough holes to fill. He's not one of them IMO.
Exactly.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 11:32:24 AM »

Agree, Crosby is a good kicker. I just never want the game in his hands at at the end. His body language and the look in his eyes suggest that is not a position he wants to be in.

I really hope he gets a chance and proves me wrong, but he's not what I would refer to as having ice in his veins, wanting to be that guy at the end.

The kick to send the NFC Championship into overtime last year? 48 yard field goals are not chip shots. He also outscored the offense 15-7. Discounting the chip shots at the goal line he still outscored the offense 9-7 with 3 FGs from 40+ yards.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:34:00 AM by claymaker »

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 06:24:12 PM »
The kick to send the NFC Championship into overtime last year? 48 yard field goals are not chip shots. He also outscored the offense 15-7. Discounting the chip shots at the goal line he still outscored the offense 9-7 with 3 FGs from 40+ yards.

Right! Confuse the issue with facts! Instead of watching his body language and the look on his face while watching on TV. That tells you a lot more.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 06:50:56 PM »

Right! Confuse the issue with facts! Instead of watching his body language and the look on his face while watching on TV. That tells you a lot more.

OK so for the record in his 9 year career you can point to one kick that he made in the 'clutch'! I'l say there were more but not many. There have been more misses in those circumstances although yesterdays was the most blatant choke. BTW, the one in Seattle was in a quasi-controlled atmosphere from a weather standpoint.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 03:04:28 AM »
Golf, I too was very disappointed with Mason's huge miss, but you are off the mark.

In fact you could start with Crosby's very first start where In his first regular season game, Crosby converted all three field goals he attempted, including a 53-yarder and a 42-yard kick with two seconds left on the clock to defeat the visiting Philadelphia Eagles. The kick was the first game-winner by a rookie on Kickoff Weekend since 1979 (when Matt Bahr achieved the same feat). Crosby is the first player in NFL history to kick a 50-yard field goal and a game-winning field goal with under a minute remaining in his NFL debut.

Just dropped by for a quick read, I am pretty much done here, but will stop by on occasion to say hello to my old breathren on occasion. Be well and keep the faith.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi