August 18, 2019, 09:36:23 PM

Author Topic: Von Miller anybody?  (Read 5584 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Von Miller anybody?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 04:52:53 PM »
Back to Von Miller for a second. Next year, Bakhtiari, Sitton and Lang are all up for FA. So, the idea of sacrificing multiple first round draft picks, signing a guy to a very large contract, and then letting several starters walk to get one player sounds like something that would be done in Washington. Which means its a really, really bad idea.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 06:07:39 PM »
Back to Von Miller for a second. Next year, Bakhtiari, Sitton and Lang are all up for FA. So, the idea of sacrificing multiple first round draft picks, signing a guy to a very large contract, and then letting several starters walk to get one player sounds like something that would be done in Washington. Which means its a really, really bad idea.

Agree, but I wouldn't  be opposed to a manageable upgrade at ILB or TE through FA.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 07:02:24 AM »

Its not likely at all.  The draft picks wouldn't be the issue for me as they are coin flips most of the time.  If Denver wanted Nick Perry and Datone Jones for Miller we'd take it laughing.  Those were 2 consecutive front 7 guys that we spent 1st round picks on.  The biggest issue with trading for Miller would be signing Miller.  He's very likely going to be the highest paid defender in NFL history and would be unaffordable to us with guys like CM3, AR12, Mike D, Nelson, Shields and Cobb all signed to top 10ish contracts for their positions. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Skinny

• All Pro
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 10:31:18 AM »
I hope so. I would give him a 4 year contract at 25 million a year, 25 to 30 of it up front.  I wouldn't even bat an eye either, this our window, hes a game changer, no injury history, hes 25, if you win it, who cares what he costs.

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 03:40:05 PM »
A. ) He got the exclusive franchise tag, so nobody but Denver can negotiate with him this offseason.

B.) He has an injury history. He tore his ACL and missed the Super Bowl a couple of years ago. He looks great, but that's a lot of money.

C.) Guys like him just don't hit the market. Packers will have to content themselves with lower value guys. Even if they're active, I don't see them out-bidding other teams for top guys on the open market.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 11:24:20 AM »
I hope so. I would give him a 4 year contract at 25 million a year, 25 to 30 of it up front.  I wouldn't even bat an eye either, this our window, hes a game changer, no injury history, hes 25, if you win it, who cares what he costs.
That mentalityis what lands teams in cap hell. And you will care what it costs when you are forced to say goodbye to 3/5ths of your OL because you gave 25 million per to Miller.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Skinny

• All Pro
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 01:11:25 PM »
The Packers are loaded CPK, the money is rollin in, just get him in, if you win it all nobody will care about the cost. It is now or never right?

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 03:50:27 PM »
Time to move on folks;

Broncos linebacker Von Miller became the first player to receive the exclusive version of the Franchise tag since Saints quarterback Drew Brees in 2012. That version of the tag calls for Miller to be paid a salary equal to the average of the five highest-paid linebackers for the 2016 season, a number that will be calculated in April although Miller can still sign a long-term deal with Denver through July 15.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:52:23 PM by LMG »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 04:35:28 AM »
The Packers are loaded CPK, the money is rollin in, just get him in, if you win it all nobody will care about the cost. It is now or never right?
No, they aren't loaded. There is this thing called the salary cap. You forget they still have to sign all the rookies they draft,  their own FA's they would like to retain and future FA's they would like to retain. If you pay Miller that kind of coin now, who are you willing to lose later? Are you willing to decimate the OL and get Rodgers killed? We already see what happens when they are injured.

All you have to do to see what  happens when teams adopt your mentality is look at Dan Snyder & Jerry Jones. Heck, You can even look at Zygi Wilf at the end of the last decade. You want to see your mentality used by the Packers? Go back to the Mike Sherman, GM era.  Those teams paid dearly for throwing money around without regard to what it would eventually cost them.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 04:37:38 AM by cpk1994 »
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 02:37:53 PM »
This would be a very, very bad idea.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!