October 15, 2019, 05:35:59 PM

Author Topic: Your Packers #1 pick......Pre-Combine  (Read 11440 times)

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
Re: Your Packers #1 pick......Pre-Combine
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 03:56:18 PM »
I'm hoping that AShawn Robinson drops to 27.  He's stout vs the run but also adds a pass rush dimension.  Should be able to play 3 and 5 techniques.
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 04:44:14 PM »
I'm hoping that AShawn Robinson drops to 27.  He's stout vs the run but also adds a pass rush dimension.  Should be able to play 3 and 5 techniques.

We need a NT now with the Pennel suspension.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Redt

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 05:18:29 PM »
Would love Jaylon Smith @ 27, however TT rolls with Jason Spriggs OT-Indiana

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 06:45:16 AM »
VERNON BUTLER  DT  Louisiana Tech 6'4"  325 lb

Long-­armed knee-bender who can play the role of low man at the point of attack. Plays with strong hands and good arm extension, able to eat up double teams and keep his linebackers clean when asked to. Excellent athleticism. Can make plays all along the line of scrimmage. Generally attacks gaps with forward lean and ability to corner the edge when he has his man beat. Gives consistent effort and plays like a lead dog looking to eat.

(paraphrased from NFL.com)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 09:21:38 AM »
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1983526/dj-reader

D.J. Reader, DT

Height/Weight: 6-3 / 340 lbs.

Played over the center at nose guard and the three-technique position for Tigers. Moves very well given his size. You can see why many programs liked him initially at guard, because Reader has terrific feet and nice short-area quickness.
Shows good agility, especially in traffic. He gets off the ball well and plays with good leverage. Can get upfield and be a pass rush presence, though he is more dependable against the run.
An impressive mover for his size, Reader looked balanced and carried his weight well during drills at the Senior Bowl. He showed the lower-body flexibility to play low and win the leverage battle.

Reader likely lost draft value over the past six months, but gained some momentum back with a good showing at the Senior Bowl in front of the NFL executives and scouts, who will be doing a lot of homework on the reasons he felt like he needed to be away from Clemson.
Reader does have versatility and athletic ability to play multiple positions across a front and should slip in to the back end of the draft

Unless he makes a dramatic rise up draft boards, he could be gotten on Day 3 of the draft.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2016, 01:01:57 PM »

D.J. Reader, DT

Played over the center at nose guard and the three-technique position for Tigers. Moves very well given his size. You can see why many programs liked him initially at guard, because Reader has terrific feet and nice short-area quickness.
Shows good agility, especially in traffic. He gets off the ball well and plays with good leverage. Can get upfield and be a pass rush presence, though he is more dependable against the run.
An impressive mover for his size, Reader looked balanced and carried his weight well during drills at the Senior Bowl. He showed the lower-body flexibility to play low and win the leverage battle.

Reader likely lost draft value over the past six months, but gained some momentum back with a good showing at the Senior Bowl in front of the NFL executives and scouts, who will be doing a lot of homework on the reasons he felt like he needed to be away from Clemson.
Reader does have versatility and athletic ability to play multiple positions across a front and should slip in to the back end of the draft

Unless he makes a dramatic rise up draft boards, he could be gotten on Day 3 of the draft.

So he is Your Packers #1 pick......Pre-Combine?
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2016, 04:07:19 PM »
Jaylon Smith
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2016, 04:38:41 PM »

D.J. Reader, DT

Sorry.
I'm "on call" today and got called out as I was making the above post, and didn't get to finish.

I listed D.J. Reader because of the potential loss of Raji and Pennel's impending suspension, and because he would be a lower cost option than spending a high round pick on a "plugger" in the middle of the line.

The player that I would like to see GB draft in the 1st round is:

Sheldon Rankins; DT; Louisville.
6-2/ 304

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1998998/sheldon-rankins

Offers the power to line up in the "A gap" and take on multiple blockers, but also has the lateral quickness to stunt and loop around bodies to close on the pocket. Displays terrific effort and is a determined chaser to catch ballcarriers from behind away from the line of scrimmage.
He was nearly unblockable during one-on-one drills at the Senior Bowl due to his quickness off the whistle and powerful arms to drive blockers backward. He used a variety of hand moves to swat jabs and swim past the blocker's shoulder. Also impressed during 11-on-11 reps due to his ball awareness, and his ability to read, detach himself from the block and make plays in the backfield.
Has heavy hands and terrific initial momentum to generate movement at the point of attack, seeing through blocks to accurately track the ball. Redirects well for a man his size, collecting himself on the move to break down in small spaces.

Rankins is one of the better run defenders in this draft class and continues to grow as a pass rusher. He entered Senior Bowl week with first-round grades and he only helped himself there with a dominating week.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/sheldon-rankins?id=2555242

Rankins presents issues for both interior and outside blockers.
Rankins' versatility as a potential starting five-technique or three-technique makes him a fit in any system.
Powerfully built lower half with very good strength. Is extremely compact, but still flexible and very athletic. Everything he does is explosive. Fires into blockers and can jolt and displace them with a combination of leverage and power. Strong base provides excellent balance to battle against double teams or down blocks. At times, will absolutely own finesse blockers. Elite foot quickness for interior defender. Will be difficult to hook or cross­face for NFL offensive linemen because of his lateral quickness. Plays with powerful, violent hands. Can play in 2­-gap or 1-­gap scheme and did just that at Louisville. Plays through the blocker reading and shedding on time to make tackles against the run. Loose, explosive hips that allow him to win edge battles and turn the corner as pass rusher and potentially excel in twist game. Highly productive pass rusher in each of the last two season. Bloodhound with great instincts to diagnose and shut­down screens.
Everything about Rankins game screams winning football player. He has been extremely productive as a bull­rusher and edge rusher and he can hold the point of attack or play in gaps. Rankins is a ball of power with rare foot quickness, a great motor and outstanding feel for his position. With so many teams playing in sub­packages now, I would expect both 4-­3 and 3-­4 teams to consider him for an interior spot despite his shorter stature. Thanks to Rankins' ability to disrupt, I think he has a great shot at getting starter's snaps early on, but don't be shocked to see him fall a little in the draft due to his smaller stature.

Would love to see this player paired with Mike Daniels, and if Christian Ringo breaks out in year 2, it will be a very long 2016 season for QB's who play the Packers.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2016, 07:13:43 AM »
Thanks danno.

From some of the stuff I've read on Rankins he may not be available @27 but I'll bet he's on TT's list of choices if he slides.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2016, 05:39:31 PM »

We need a NT now with the Pennel suspension.

Pennel hasn't played nose yet.  Guion will be there is base.  Pennel played the five and took on a lot of doubles.
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2016, 08:50:10 AM »
I actually think it will be Henry this year. He fits right into that area, and unless he blows up the combine he won't be moving up much either. I think there's going to be other players they've targeted @27, but by the time they pick they'll be left with a few names.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2016, 09:14:01 AM »
I actually think it will be Henry this year. He fits right into that area, and unless he blows up the combine he won't be moving up much either. I think there's going to be other players they've targeted @27, but by the time they pick they'll be left with a few names.

No clue what's on their minds.....but PIT may be on the lookout for a TE now that Heath's retired.....and they pick @ 25......

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2016, 05:06:17 PM »

No clue what's on their minds.....but PIT may be on the lookout for a TE now that Heath's retired.....and they pick @ 25......

Very true! So to get Henry, they might need to jump ahead of the Steelers.

But I am dead set against trading up..........just for the record.  ;)

Offline BTIdaho

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2016, 05:10:45 PM »
Andrew Billings if his health checks out. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2016, 06:01:52 PM »
Andrew Billings if his health checks out.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/andrew-billings?id=2555267

Strengths: Elite power with a weight­lifting background. Generates booming power from hip explosion and when his leverage is on point, he can be menacing. Moved from offensive line to defensive line in college and is getting better by leaps and bounds each year. Drops his pad level even lower when splitting double teams and charging through gaps. Uses violent, powerful swats and slaps to free of opposing hand placement. Instant reaction time makes it difficult to cross his face. Gets arm extension into blocker and stays clean as he pursues laterally. Ridiculous closing burst to the sideline for a big man. Dominates single blocks and is a sure­fire tackler when he gets hands on a running back. Improving pass rusher with an effective bull­ rush.
Weaknesses: Top heavy. Powerful but short. Once he gets going in a direction, struggles to slow down and change directions. Recovery athleticism is average. Plays with good initial effort but an average secondary motor. Still learning techniques for the position. Raw as a pass rusher relying on power over a plan. Extremely young to play professionally. Will need positive locker room leaders to guide him as he matures.
Bottom Line: Billings won't turn 21 until March of 2016, but he has the overwhelming strength of a full­-grown NFL defensive tackle. With elite power and unusual closing speed for a big man, Billings has a chance to become something we rarely see ­-- a playmaking nose tackle with the ability to dominate at the point of attack. Teams will decide through research and interviews whether Billings can handle the NFL life at such a young age, but if he can, he has all-­pro potential.

Thanks for sharing his name!!

Elite type front 7 players are always welcome!!

;D