October 17, 2019, 11:04:14 PM

Author Topic: Your Packers #1 pick......Pre-Combine  (Read 11445 times)

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
Re: Your Packers #1 pick......Pre-Combine
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 06:10:02 PM »
I'm going against the grain here.

OL Cody Whitehair Kansas State

He was a four year starter - 2 at LT, 1 at RT and 1 at G. He projects as a guard in the pros, but could offer valuable depth at all other spots. This was an area the Pack sorrily lacked in 2016. He slides in as the #6 lineman in 2016 and then is the successor for Sitton and/or Lang in 2017.

TT was reportedly "glued to the O-linemen" at the Senior Bowl. Whitehair was at the Senior Bowl.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 07:19:42 PM »

He was a four year starter - 2 at LT, 1 at RT and 1 at G. He projects as a guard in the pros, but could offer valuable depth at all other spots. This was an area the Pack sorrily lacked in 2016. He slides in as the #6 lineman in 2016 and then is the successor for Sitton and/or Lang in 2017.

TT was reportedly "glued to the O-linemen" at the Senior Bowl. Whitehair was at the Senior Bowl.

Not hassling you....but our #1 pick becomes our #6 OL? We cant do better than that?

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2016, 12:27:47 AM »

Not hassling you....but our #1 pick becomes our #6 OL? We cant do better than that?

Look further down the road, Leader. Cody could provide quality backup for 2016, while looking further to 2017, both Lang and Sitton become FAs at the end of that year. After 2017 they would be 9 and 10 year vets and my guess is that the Packers could be reluctant to keep them both. Then Whitehair makes a ton of sense, tagged as the next starting OG and the rock for the future.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2016, 03:38:48 AM »
Packers already have decent reserves on the interior of the OL in Tretter, Taylor, Walker, and Rotheram who will serve as the backups this year and likely one of either Taylor, Walker, or Rotheram becomes a starter at OG in 2017. And Tretter did a servicable job filling in at OT for one game in 2015 as well.

OT is where they needed better back ups/depth to DB & BB. If Whitehair projects better at OG in the NFL, I'd rather use a pick on a true OT, and there won't be a 1st round value available at #27. It's nice that he has versatility, but I'm with Leader on this, that GB needs to find someone who will challenge for a starting role in 2016.

Defense will have better value available when it comes TT's turn to pick in round 1 (imo).

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2016, 06:43:01 AM »

Thompson is a guy who's never put a lot of value into the Guard position, meaning he's never used a high pick on one.  If we use that first pick on an offensive lineman it will likely be for our future LT.  We're unfortunately stuck with Buluga's massive deal so it could be a possible replacement for Bak. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2016, 08:20:59 AM »
Look further down the road, Leader. Cody could provide quality backup for 2016, while looking further to 2017, both Lang and Sitton become FAs at the end of that year. After 2017 they would be 9 and 10 year vets and my guess is that the Packers could be reluctant to keep them both. Then Whitehair makes a ton of sense, tagged as the next starting OG and the rock for the future.

Got all that...and know already where the road's headed. Do we need to infuse talent into our OL? Most definately. 2014? Good Year. 2015? A harbinger of things to come should we not add talent - or - those currently on the roster prove more capable. I just dont want to "walk" on Round 1 talent for a #6 contributor on the 2015 roster. Can you spell w-h-o-d-i-d-w-e-d-r-a-f-t? I want a difference maker. The hump is there. We need to get over it.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2016, 09:43:47 AM »
Got all that...and know already where the road's headed. Do we need to infuse talent into our OL? Most definately. 2014? Good Year. 2015? A harbinger of things to come should we not add talent - or - those currently on the roster prove more capable. I just dont want to "walk" on Round 1 talent for a #6 contributor on the 2015 roster. Can you spell w-h-o-d-i-d-w-e-d-r-a-f-t? I want a difference maker. The hump is there. We need to get over it.

The most likely way to get a difference maker is to take a risky pick, like Noah Spence. Apart from that kind of pick, they are probably already gone, especially if you want a difference maker in their rookie season. It is not impossible to get a difference maker later, but for the Packers to get them at #27, that would mean half the teams in the league have mis-evaluated them. That's why I take a somewhat longer view.

As for getting over the hump, that relies mostly on the right players staying healthy in 2016 and advances by those already on the roster.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2016, 10:30:24 AM »

The most likely way to get a difference maker is to take a risky pick, like Noah Spence. Apart from that kind of pick, they are probably already gone, especially if you want a difference maker in their rookie season. It is not impossible to get a difference maker later, but for the Packers to get them at #27, that would mean half the teams in the league have mis-evaluated them. That's why I take a somewhat longer view.

As for getting over the hump, that relies mostly on the right players staying healthy in 2016 and advances by those already on the roster.

I'm not of the mindset that impact players aren't available at the end of first round (or below) - I dont agree with that evaluation at all in fact - so I dont consider #27 a picked or passed over player because IMO teams will pick based on their roster needs (or the smart ones do at least) - so how those differing needs come together in the draft selection process is uncertain. In that vien, I feel we can do better than picking someone who's skill level (or 2016 contribution) is the #6 OLineman on our current roster.

The GBP already take the longer view you refer to and operate on that basis IMO. Its evidenced by their consistent level of success.

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2016, 11:20:17 AM »
Here's my rationale for Whitehair.

#1 I like the overall value. He's a very good player. Very consistent, versatile, intelligent and experienced.

#2 Our O-line depth was awful last year. Rarely do you ever make it through a full season without a couple of injuries there. With the exception of Tretter AT CENTER all the rest of the reserves performed at a below average- poor level when given the shot. Fact is, NFL O-lines need quality depth. Walker AT GUARD MAY evolve into something. Tretter is a nice back up center, I think Whitehair could back up at 4 positions and we could probably use another mid round pick on a pure tackle. I think we might be understating how the poor o-line play for most of this year negatively impacted our offense. That was due to injuries and lack of the depth up front. We needed to keep a very beat up Lang, Bulaga and Bakhtiari in the line up at times this year because a 75% version of them was better than the 100% version of their back up. NOT GOOD.

#3 It is VERY POSSIBLE that Sitton AND Lang walk after next year. Both will command big time contracts and both are aging and beat up. It is very possible, maybe even likely, that TT says thank you for your years of service, but were going to get young there. I think Whitehair could step in and be a HIGH LEVEL guard just like those guys and we dont miss a beat with a learning curve. Maybe Walker is ready by then too.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 11:42:59 AM by JPPlaya »

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2016, 12:14:38 PM »
I apparently lost track of who was pushing for what player. Regardless - I'll respect your opinion - but in my personal view, want a more dynamic playmaker in round 1. OL depth and/or contributors? No question - necessary - and should be selected. With that - I've said all I can say on the matter and will support whomever gets selected.....as long as its the guy I want LOL :)

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »
Here's my rationale for Whitehair.

#1 I like the overall value. He's a very good player. Very consistent, versatile, intelligent and experienced.

#2 Our O-line depth was awful last year. Rarely do you ever make it through a full season without a couple of injuries there. With the exception of Tretter AT CENTER all the rest of the reserves performed at a below average- poor level when given the shot. Fact is, NFL O-lines need quality depth. Walker AT GUARD MAY evolve into something. Tretter is a nice back up center, I think Whitehair could back up at 4 positions and we could probably use another mid round pick on a pure tackle. I think we might be understating how the poor o-line play for most of this year negatively impacted our offense. That was due to injuries and lack of the depth up front. We needed to keep a very beat up Lang, Bulaga and Bakhtiari in the line up at times this year because a 75% version of them was better than the 100% version of their back up. NOT GOOD.

#3 It is VERY POSSIBLE that Sitton AND Lang walk after next year. Both will command big time contracts and both are aging and beat up. It is very possible, maybe even likely, that TT says thank you for your years of service, but were going to get young there. I think Whitehair could step in and be a HIGH LEVEL guard just like those guys and we dont miss a beat with a learning curve. Maybe Walker is ready by then too.

Green Bay isn't as bad on the interior as you are making them out to be.  If they spend a 1st round pick on an offensive lineman they aren't wasting that pick on a Guard IMO.  I don't think its very likely that BOTH Sitton and Lang walk.  IMO Green Bay will be able to afford to pay at least one of them the caliber of deal they paid Sitton when he was extended (he was the 3rd highest paid Guard in football at the time of his extension).  Its much more likely that they use that first round pick on an upgrade at LT.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2016, 02:58:27 PM »
I apparently lost track of who was pushing for what player. Regardless - I'll respect your opinion - but in my personal view, want a more dynamic playmaker in round 1. OL depth and/or contributors? No question - necessary - and should be selected. With that - I've said all I can say on the matter and will support whomever gets selected.....as long as its the guy I want LOL :)

So Leader, if you want an O lineman later than round one, here are some tackles for your consideration. Fancy any of them ?

round 2. Le'Raven Clark. 6'6", 312 (Texas Tech). Has the size, the good feet and the longest arms of this years tackles. Will need more pro coaching than many, due to the system he came from differing significantly from how NFL linemen operate.

round 3. Joe Haeg. 6'7", 307 (N.Dakota St.). Athletic, fast, good feet, smart. A little light in the lower body, needs added strength.

round 4. Fahn Cooper 6'5", 304 (Ole Miss). Good feet, gets low, nice in pass-pro and can move guys in the run game.

round 5. Willie Beavers 6'5", 324 (W.Michigan). Has great size, left tackle feet and can run block. One of my favourite later round picks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 02:59:57 PM by OneTwoSixFive »

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2016, 03:21:11 PM »

So Leader, if you want an O lineman later than round one, here are some tackles for your consideration. Fancy any of them ?

round 2. Le'Raven Clark. 6'6", 312 (Texas Tech). Has the size, the good feet and the longest arms of this years tackles. Will need more pro coaching than many, due to the system he came from differing significantly from how NFL linemen operate.

round 3. Joe Haeg. 6'7", 307 (N.Dakota St.). Athletic, fast, good feet, smart. A little light in the lower body, needs added strength.

round 4. Fahn Cooper 6'5", 304 (Ole Miss). Good feet, gets low, nice in pass-pro and can move guys in the run game.

round 5. Willie Beavers 6'5", 324 (W.Michigan). Has great size, left tackle feet and can run block. One of my favourite later round picks.

Dont know any of them....but I'll add them to the NFL Combine thread so they can be targeted/viewed....

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2016, 04:05:21 PM »
Conversation sure has drifted big time from the thread subject;

Your Packers #1 pick......Pre-Combine
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2016, 05:10:38 PM »

Just an FYI, Mayock, who I think is as accurate as anybody has Beavers as his 5th rated OT in this draft. He's probably long-gone prior to 5th round.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "