August 18, 2019, 04:37:25 PM

Author Topic: Your Packers #1 pick......Pre-Combine  (Read 11230 times)

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
Re: Your Packers #1 pick......Pre-Combine
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
Here's my rationale for Whitehair.

#1 I like the overall value. He's a very good player. Very consistent, versatile, intelligent and experienced.

#2 Our O-line depth was awful last year. Rarely do you ever make it through a full season without a couple of injuries there. With the exception of Tretter AT CENTER all the rest of the reserves performed at a below average- poor level when given the shot. Fact is, NFL O-lines need quality depth. Walker AT GUARD MAY evolve into something. Tretter is a nice back up center, I think Whitehair could back up at 4 positions and we could probably use another mid round pick on a pure tackle. I think we might be understating how the poor o-line play for most of this year negatively impacted our offense. That was due to injuries and lack of the depth up front. We needed to keep a very beat up Lang, Bulaga and Bakhtiari in the line up at times this year because a 75% version of them was better than the 100% version of their back up. NOT GOOD.

#3 It is VERY POSSIBLE that Sitton AND Lang walk after next year. Both will command big time contracts and both are aging and beat up. It is very possible, maybe even likely, that TT says thank you for your years of service, but were going to get young there. I think Whitehair could step in and be a HIGH LEVEL guard just like those guys and we dont miss a beat with a learning curve. Maybe Walker is ready by then too.

Green Bay isn't as bad on the interior as you are making them out to be.  If they spend a 1st round pick on an offensive lineman they aren't wasting that pick on a Guard IMO.  I don't think its very likely that BOTH Sitton and Lang walk.  IMO Green Bay will be able to afford to pay at least one of them the caliber of deal they paid Sitton when he was extended (he was the 3rd highest paid Guard in football at the time of his extension).  Its much more likely that they use that first round pick on an upgrade at LT.
I would be all for a LT like Decker or Conklin (over Whitehair). I just dont think they'll be there at 27.

I like other guys at other positions too and I'll be happy with probably 10-15 different guys. But Whitehair intrigues me. I'm not sure that he CANT play OT in this league. He's only 6-4 which is a little short for a tackle, but not impossible, especially at RT. I'd be fine with DL,  OLB, TE or ILB in round 1 too.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2016, 08:42:28 PM »
If he is there J-Smith out of ND with the #27 pick. Thread back on track!
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline backthepack4ever

• All Pro
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2016, 04:13:02 AM »
If he is there J-Smith out of ND with the #27 pick. Thread back on track!

Smith is my #1 "wish" in the draft.  Everyone that doesn't want him bc of the injury is silly.  Hes STILL rated in the top 10 and in many cases top 5 by a lot of so called experts.  The kid will be great.   hes long gone  :(

Packers pick at 27  Leonard Floyd.   Needs to put on as weight but we get a pass rusher and a guy that can cover at OLB

Offline vain616

• Rookie
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2016, 05:21:43 AM »
I'd love for them to get Jaylon Smith from ND, but have a feeling he'll be gone by #27.

I'm going with speedy LB Darron Lee, OSU. The LBs need an infusion of speed and talent, which Lee has both of.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2016, 07:25:26 AM »
In one of the articles in National Football Post they discuss Smith's injury and discuss if he has nerve damage. I think the issue is that the healing process hasn't been long enough for teams to determine how bad his injury has left him. I'm not a doctor nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but when I read about possible nerve damage.....I don't see any team taking a chance in the first round.
See article about Smith from National Football Post below:

"This is the season of optimism. All medical reports and leaks about players with health conditions are by nature positive. Since sources typically come from the camp of the player or by permission from the athlete, they universally paint a “glass half-full” picture.

Medical is the most important part of the NFL Scouting Combine. Media reports do not influence these opinions. Team medical staffs rely on what they see and feel during the medical exam.

No matter what is said, clubs and docs don’t listen anyways. When I was a team doc, I never even read any media reports about the draftees. Even letters from personal physicians are taken with a grain of salt.

Let’s take the example of Butkus award-winning linebacker Jaylon Smith out of Notre Dame.. The projected top ten pick suffered a horrific knee injury during the Fiesta Bowl. By video, it was clear he suffered a multi-ligament knee injury that included his lateral collateral ligament (LCL). This injury carries risk of peroneal nerve damage and is significantly worse than an isolated ACL tear.

An optimistic report said surgery “went about as well as it possibly could have” with “full recovery” and “the nerve was healthy and in good condition”. Reading between the lines, a LCL and ACL surgery that “couldn’t have gone better” will still not be ready at the start of the NFL season in the best case scenario. Even the positive statement about the nerve worries me as normally there is no reason in surgery to inspect the peroneal nerve unless there is concern for damage or the athlete presented with symptoms of nerve injury.

I have not examined the standout linebacker and I certainly wish him well. I would be thrilled to be wrong about his injury but his rookie year in the NFL could be a “red-shirt year” to get his knee better. If Smith takes all of 2016 to recover and returns to full form in 2017, that would be a great result from a multi-ligament ACL/LCL injury.

Described as “best talent in the draft” and “sure-fire top 10 pick”, many pundits still have Smith going high. I would be surprised if Smith were a first-round pick based on the severity of the injury. Todd Gurley was a smart 10th pick last year, but his ACL injury was much less severe and he still missed the first five games of the season.

The medical exam will provide an early answer, but don’t expect to get definitive news out of Indianapolis this week on Smith’s knee. He likely will defer full knee exam to the recheck Combine like Gurley did last year. Only six weeks from surgery, Jaylon Smith and his agent won’t allow doctors to tug on his knee yet."

In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2016, 11:58:37 AM »
In one of the articles in National Football Post they discuss Smith's injury and discuss if he has nerve damage. I think the issue is that the healing process hasn't been long enough for teams to determine how bad his injury has left him. I'm not a doctor nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but when I read about possible nerve damage.....I don't see any team taking a chance in the first round.
See article about Smith from National Football Post below:

[/i]

There was an article after Smith's injury which stated rather definitively that there was no nerve damage and a full recovery was expected.

I'll bet he's gone by pick 16.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2016, 01:09:55 PM »
I expect Ragland, Darron Lee, Myles Jack, Jaylon Smith and Jarran Reed to be gone -- just a hunch.

So, I'm going to go with........Vernon Butler, DT from Louisiana Tech.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2016, 04:53:40 PM »
I expect Ragland, Darron Lee, Myles Jack, Jaylon Smith and Jarran Reed to be gone -- just a hunch.

Seriously?!

That is approx. 20% of the top 26 picks for an ILB.

My bad............forgot that Reed is a DT.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000624732/article/ranking-top-50-prospects-for-2016-nfl-draft
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 04:58:59 PM by dannobanano »

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2016, 04:55:44 PM »

Seriously?!

Yes and no! Lee, Jack and Smith all project outside in 4-3 as well as inside in 3-4.

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2016, 05:30:15 PM »

Seriously?!

My bad............forgot that Reed is a DT.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000624732/article/ranking-top-50-prospects-for-2016-nfl-draft

So according to your link:
Myles Jack is ranked 3rd so long gone
Jaylone Smith is 9th so also gone even though his is injured I expect someone to take a chance on him.
Reggie Ragland is right behind him at 10 do he'll get scooped up before we are on the clock.
Now this is where it gets interesting...
Darran Lee is listed as 23rd, that's not too far from 27, so maybe. Unfortunately I expect him to test very well at the combine and make him attractive to other teams. Yet, four other linebackers not counting Leonard Floyd will theoretically already be gone... so who knows. I sure don't. I remember last year hoping that Stephone Anthony would be the pick and he went one spot after us. (I'm still glad we got Damarious Randall)
Now traditionally not that many inside LBs go in the first round, OLBs yes, but inside not so much. I personally feel a gifted ILB that can cover tightends and running backs would be a big help for a defense where that is often a liability.
Can't wait to see who it is. One of the great things about our GM is you never know who he might scoop up.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:33:35 PM by jameslofton »

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2016, 11:24:10 AM »
Smith is my #1 "wish" in the draft.  Everyone that doesn't want him bc of the injury is silly.  Hes STILL rated in the top 10 and in many cases top 5 by a lot of so called experts.  The kid will be great.   hes long gone  :(
Justin Harrell was rated top 10 at his position by the experts and was coming off an injury. I wouldn't blow off the injury too much. Just some perspective.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2016, 12:39:42 PM »
Justin Harrell was rated top 10 at his position by the experts and was coming off an injury. I wouldn't blow off the injury too much. Just some perspective.

Justin Harrell top ten at HIS POSITION, yes!

Jaylon Smith top 10 PROBABLY top 5 OVERALL! See the differnce.

One more difference. Harrelll had back issues, Smith does not.

Just some perspective!

EDIT: This may change everything on him though. Read article yesterday where 2016 he's out for season and maybe longer. For me now, I'd grab him in round 3 no questions asked, but couldn't pull the trigger in round 1.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000639790/article/nfl-clubs-on-notre-dame-lb-smiths-knee-injury-its-bad

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 01:21:10 PM by golfman »