August 21, 2019, 10:46:59 AM

Author Topic: Mario Williams, anyone?  (Read 4921 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Mario Williams, anyone?
« on: March 01, 2016, 06:05:02 PM »
He's a free agent. However, he is older, has a very large contract that has been voided, and will have to drastically reduce his salary. However, he has been a very productive pass rusher until Rex Ryan took over the Bills, when suddenly their sack totals plummeted. So, how about a Williams for Peppers swap?

Just spitballing here. But it could be something TT could do that would surprise us all- similar to the signing of Peppers a couple years ago.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: Mario Williams, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 02:38:58 PM »
If Mario doesn't get a lot of love out there....I could see TT making a run at him in the second week of FA signing.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline pacman5252

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 06:51:18 PM »
I really like the idea and Mario is the type of guy TT would go after. If he's healthy, he could easily be the most impactful fa this year. Unlike the young Malik Jackson, Trevathon, etc who are slightly better than average players that are in their prime and will require 4 years 12+ because their age, Williams would only require like a 2 year deal and has mega game changing upside. He was the #1 pick in the draft in 2006 for a reason. You can't teach 6 6 300 with pass rushing ability. Like with Pepper, that is the type of player you find ways to get on the field. I could see him as a 3 4 end and staying on the field and being valuable in 2dl packages. He is the type of player capers would love to have

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 08:01:30 PM »
If Mario doesn't get a lot of love out there....I could see TT making a run at him in the second week of FA signing.

Couldn't we get him now since he was released? I am a big fan but his attitude last year is pause for concern. If you got Mario you'd have to move on from Peppers IMO. MIGHT still be able to get Neal or Perry in the fold but doubtful.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 06:47:43 AM »

Couldn't we get him now since he was released? I am a big fan but his attitude last year is pause for concern. If you got Mario you'd have to move on from Peppers IMO. MIGHT still be able to get Neal or Perry in the fold but doubtful.

No, NFL free agency starts March 9.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:48:54 AM by LMG »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 12:03:17 PM »

That only applies to prospective free agents whose contracts are expiring. Williams was already released, so he's a free agent right now.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 01:20:39 PM »

That only applies to prospective free agents whose contracts are expiring. Williams was already released, so he's a free agent right now.

Well.....

March 7-9: Clubs are permitted to contact and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2015 Player Contracts at 4 p.m., ET, on March 9. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4 p.m., ET, on March 9.
March 9: 2016 NFL League Year begins. Free agency opens at 4 p.m. ET.

Key words here are when the 2016 NFL League Year begins.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 04:53:51 PM »
I'm wondering if there is a difference in the status of a "street" free agent (which Mario Williams, Jared Cook, etc. are), versus a true "unrestricted" free agent who's contract expires on 3/9 (end/beginning of league year).

I admit, I don't know??    confused(

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 03:19:51 AM »
Whether he could be signed now or not is not important. What is important is whether he could fit the Packers scheme. Peppers was converted from DE to LB rather seamlessly. Now, where would Williams fit in the Packers defensive scheme? He has consistently played in 4-3 defenses. The reason for my posting this but without strongly endorsing the signing was to generate some input as to his ability to help the defense. Could he be a DE in a 3-4 alignment? Or, could he be successfully switched to LB, like Peppers?

Offline Leader

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 05:26:15 AM »
Whether he could be signed now or not is not important. What is important is whether he could fit the Packers scheme. Peppers was converted from DE to LB rather seamlessly. Now, where would Williams fit in the Packers defensive scheme? He has consistently played in 4-3 defenses. The reason for my posting this but without strongly endorsing the signing was to generate some input as to his ability to help the defense. Could he be a DE in a 3-4 alignment? Or, could he be successfully switched to LB, like Peppers?

I say no......to the "convert into Peppers-like" player. If I'm not mistaken, part of his bitch this past year in Rex Ryan's D was that he didnt like dropping back in coverage.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 09:15:03 AM »
If I'm Mario Williams I'm looking to play for a team like Carolina Panthers that run a 4-3 and steering clear of the 3-4 teams.  $ talks - but if the $ is fairly equal I'm staying in a 4-3.  They just franchised Norman, but they also freed up a bunch of cap cutting Charles Johnson.  Imagine him paired with Lotulelei, KK, and Ealy up front // Kuechly, Davis, Thompson and Klein at LB // and Norman, Benwikere in the back.  They add a CB and SS in the draft and that is one scary D.   That's a D that could challenge anything Denver and Seattle have done recently.  No responsibility to be "The Man."  Just line up and get QB.  That's his place if he wants to return to double digit sack seasons.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 10:48:29 AM »
Well.....

March 7-9: Clubs are permitted to contact and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2015 Player Contracts at 4 p.m., ET, on March 9. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4 p.m., ET, on March 9.
March 9: 2016 NFL League Year begins. Free agency opens at 4 p.m. ET.

Key words here are when the 2016 NFL League Year begins.
You glossed over the distinction with Mario Williams:

who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2015 Player Contracts at 4 p.m., ET, on March 9

Williams contract didn't expire. It was terminated. That means he is clear to sign.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:49:20 AM by cpk1994 »
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 04:23:23 PM »
Well, he just made his first visit with a team in a warm, tax friendly state. Though it seems that team would be wary of signing more DL personnel.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/05/mario-williams-visiting-the-dolphins-today/

Also, the Dolphins are tight against the cap, and have a tagged player they want to re-sign. So, how serious the interest is remains to be seen. Miami has only about $4 million in cap space- this is after the increase this year. So, if MW does sign with them, it would either mean breaking the cap down the road, or he'd need to sign with a huge signing bonus. Which would be a significant risk, IMO.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 04:48:29 PM »
Well, he just made his first visit with a team in a warm, tax friendly state. Though it seems that team would be wary of signing more DL personnel.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/05/mario-williams-visiting-the-dolphins-today/

Also, the Dolphins are tight against the cap, and have a tagged player they want to re-sign. So, how serious the interest is remains to be seen. Miami has only about $4 million in cap space- this is after the increase this year. So, if MW does sign with them, it would either mean breaking the cap down the road, or he'd need to sign with a huge signing bonus. Which would be a significant risk, IMO.

Well, one guy MIA could cut, or restructure, would be Olivier Vernon. He counts $12M this year and there is no cap hit if the release him now. It's his 5th year option on his rookie contract, but it's not guaranteed.

But........ he's a young (25) defensive end. So would you cut him to sign an older MW? Or...................Take that $12M owed this year and work it into a contract extension that gives him even more, up front (signing bonus), but lowers his cap number dramatically for this year, and then still try to sign MW??

Since they picked up his 5th year option, I'm sure they think he's worth keeping, so this shouldn't be too hard of a decision for them.

They could still have room for MW.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 07:24:07 PM »
Um, as the linked article stated, Vernon has been given the "right to match another offer" designation by Miami. So, he is a FA. Miami is effectively letting him test the market, and will then decide whether to match another team's offer. So, either another team is wary of negotiating Miami's contract with Vernon for them; or, another team could offer a "poison pill" contract that Miami wouldn't match. 

Here's a link to some teams who might be interested in him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/20078/who-are-potential-suitors-for-olivier-vernon

The Jaguars have a ton of cap space- around $80 million. So, they could go very heavily into FA. And could easily afford a number of "poison pills".