November 23, 2020, 11:20:04 AM

Author Topic: 68md Mock 2.0  (Read 5511 times)

68MD

68md Mock 2.0
« on: January 07, 2013, 04:48:24 PM »
No trades in this one. Straight draft.

Round 1:   Barrett Jones, G/C/OT, Alabama 6'4 305

Versatile as the day as long, Jones best position is Center where he should be all world, however, he can play all five positions.  Keeping #12 healthy is priority #1

ALT PICK HERE ~ Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan  6'8 305

Fisher has versatility after starting at right tackle, guard and left tackle over his collegiate career. Was solid at LT the last two years. Fisher is fast to fire down field to hit blocks on the second level of the defense. The speed can also be seen when he pulls around the other side of the line. Great hands and feet... if he is still on the board you have to consider him over Jones

Round 2 : Sean Porter, OLB, Texas A&M

http://media3.texags.com/0001076-mxxa-320x180.jpg

Porter is a seek-and-destroy defender who flies around the field chasing down ball-carriers. His biggest strength is his ability to rush the quarterback off the edge. Porter plays well in space and is not a liability dropping into pass coverage, although he is a much bigger difference-maker rushing the quarterback.

In his Junior year he had 79 tackles with 17 tackles for a loss, 9.5 sacks and one forced fumble playing a 3-4 rush scheme.

This year A&M switched to a 4-3 and Porter played OLB and he recorded 60 tackles, 5.5 tackles for a loss, 2.5 sacks, four passes broken up and an interception.

Bottom line an upgrade at OLB  an insurance should Claymaker want too much $. TT always thinks ahead

Round 3 : Montee Ball  5'11 210, RB Wisconsin

He is still here late 3rd and TT/MM pull the trigger, paired with Harris the Packers have a 1-2 punch on the ground along with Alex Green.

Round 4 : Quinton Patton 6'2" 195 lbs. 4.58/40   WR Louisiana Tech

You guys want a talented, raw WR we can turn into a player down the road? This is the guy. Fast, electric and a play maker. Patton is a community college transfer who has put up big time numbers at Louisiana Tech... 104 receptions for 1,392 yards and 13 touchdowns his SR year and 79 receptions for 1,202 yards and 11 touchdowns his jr year. The Next Greg Jennings

Round 5 : Brandon Williams DE/DT 6'2" 328 lbs Missouri Southern

Williams is both a pass rusher and space eater and gives us flexibility to use him in both base and Nickel. He can play both LDE and RDE and really could be a big time steal. has TT  written all over him.

Round 6 : Rod Sweeting CB 6'0 184 Georgia Tech

Sleeper prospect that had a slow SR year , 5 tackles, six tackles for a loss, zero interceptions and five passes broken up.  A better JR year with 56 tackles, three interceptions, two forced fumbles and 10 passes defensed.  Sweeting played in a 3-4 scheme and can come in Day 1 and play...huge upside.

Round 7 :   Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State

Why not bring another Kicker ? Worst case you pee away a 7th.... if he is good enough trade him before the cut.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 03:53:28 AM by 68MD »

Online claymaker

• HOF Member
Re: 68md Mock 2.0
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 05:51:06 PM »
I'd play for free BWAHAHAHA!

Seriously, I like the that late picks and the first. I'd like Jones less if he was a one position guy, but he can play it all. He's my favorite lineman this draft. Only pick I don't like is Ball. I'm just not fan.

Offline Bud

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 06:02:07 PM »
I'm not a draftnik. I love the draft and all that surrounds it. I love to talk about it with my son on that day but I very rarely follow the players throughout the year. I'm thankful that you guys are so knowledgeable on this stuff because it gives me names to keep in mind and check up on in my spare time. I would be happy with his draft by 68MD.
“Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.” ~ Dan Gable

Offline PackerBacker2012

• Second String
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 06:39:46 PM »
I like Jones, but don't see the need for an OLB with 2.  We have Matthews who isn't going anywhere. Matthews and Rodgers will be life long or damn near life long Packers. Perry, Walden, Moses, and Jones in a pinch.

68MD

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 06:50:33 PM »
I like Jones, but don't see the need for an OLB with 2.  We have Matthews who isn't going anywhere. Matthews and Rodgers will be life long or damn near life long Packers. Perry, Walden, Moses, and Jones in a pinch.
you don't have a solid # 2 OLB whole D was different without Clay... Add another guy like him and the D is deadly plus if one goes down your covered.

Offline Bud

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 06:51:53 PM »
you don't have a solid # 2 OLB whole D was different without Clay... Add another guy like him and the D is deadly plus if one goes down your covered.

Agreed. That pass rush was anemic without CM3 and the opposing offenses feared no one.
“Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.” ~ Dan Gable

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 08:04:27 PM »

Agreed. That pass rush was anemic without CM3 and the opposing offenses feared no one.
Actually the Packers finished 2nd in the NFL in Sacks, but Packer fans seem to be the worst at recognizing this amazing turnabout

Of the teams left in the playoffs, here are the 2012 regular season sack totals:

Green Bay Packers   51.0   
 San Francisco 49ers  41.0   
 Baltimore Ravens   38.0   
 Seattle Seahawks  33.0   
 Atlanta Falcons  28.0
 Houston Texans  28.0   
 New England Patriots  27.0     
 Denver Broncos  21.0 

The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Antonio Andolini

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 08:10:38 PM »
Clay Matthews can't want too much money. He got a sack while laying on his stomach, boy's got mad skills! ;)

57packer

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 08:13:24 PM »
Was a fan of Jones earlier then it seemed a lot of people soured on him a bit during a bit of a rough stretch.  Tonight he's certainly showing he can get the job done against Notre Dame.  I'm going to reserve judgement on an OC/OG in Rd 1 until I see how EDS and Co. finish out the playoffs.

I too question taking another OLB though if he's BPA in Rd 2 it's a reasonable investment.  I'm a little reluctant to go OLB again early because we've really only seen Perry for half a season or so.  With a year in the weight room to add more strength and perhaps even lose a few pounds, I'd like to see what he can do before I invest in the position again. 

Despite being a big Badger fan, I'm kind of lukewarm on Ball.  I'll be interested to see how he runs and tests at the combine.

I like the Williams selection in Rd 5.  We need a Pickett replacement and he has a chance to fill those shoes in a year or two.

Solid mock.  There are so many decent mocks being put up so early, I may have to make a feable attempt myself soon.

Offline DWhitehurst

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 09:09:54 PM »
I too question taking another OLB though if he's BPA in Rd 2 it's a reasonable investment.  I'm a little reluctant to go OLB again early because we've really only seen Perry for half a season or so.  With a year in the weight room to add more strength and perhaps even lose a few pounds, I'd like to see what he can do before I invest in the position again.

I hope you're right on Perry developing, but I never was sold on him from what I watched of him at USC. Remember, he added around 15 pnds after the season leading up to the Combine, trying to appeal to teams playing a 4-3 looking for a DE, and publicly had stated he didn't want to be a 3-4 OLB. (I actually think he was right--he would have been better as a 4-3 DE prospect).  Many were enamored by him for his great 4.65ish 40 time at the Combine at his heavier 270pnd weight. But again, from what I watched of him in college even at his lighter weight (around 250pnds), he looked a bit stiff to me, lacking lateral agility. He didn't look fast on tape. This is something which 40 times don't necessarily show (unlike 10yd shuttle). As far as his strength, he always had strength--I mean, he put up 35 reps on the bench at the Combine. Also, all but one of his 9 sacks that I saw from his last year at USC were garbage, coverage type sacks.   

No doubt, the Packers understandably liked Perry for his potential to set the edge in run contain, which was something they were lacking in their OLB's (Matthew's is average in that aspect of run contain, albeit being elite in the tackling aspect and also elite in the other two duties of a 3-4 OLB, namely pass rush and pass coverage.) Yet I think anyone who expects him to ever develop a skill set of a Matthews in terms of pass rush and pass coverage is flat-out fooling themselves.  The question I still ask myself is whether or not a one-dimensional OLB prospect whose main talent is run contain is really worth a 1st rnd pick. As I argued during last draft, I still would have picked a prospect like LT/OG Cordy Glenn in the first rnd and drafted an OLB in the 2nd rnd or later, especially if what you primarily wanted was a one-dimensional edge-setting/run-stuffing OLB.  But again, as I said, I hope you're right about Perry and I am wrong!!!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:36:12 PM by DWhitehurst »

Offline Dubz41

• All Pro
  • Government Cheese
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 05:39:13 AM »

Actually the Packers finished 2nd in the NFL in Sacks, but Packer fans seem to be the worst at recognizing this amazing turnabout

Of the teams left in the playoffs, here are the 2012 regular season sack totals:

Green Bay Packers   51.0   
 Baltimore Ravens   38.0   
 Seattle Seahawks  33.0   
 Atlanta Falcons  28.0
 Houston Texans  28.0   
 Denver Broncos  21.0 

Be that as it may...what Bud said was spot on.  Without CMIII the pass rush was anemic.  Lots of coverage sacks because of the quick development of the DBs.  We acknowledge the statistic, it just didn't feel like that was the case. ???
It's not what he doesn't know that bothers me. It's what he knows for sure that just ain't so!-Will Rogers

Offline Bud

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 06:04:57 AM »

Green Bay Packers   51.0   
 Baltimore Ravens   38.0   
 Seattle Seahawks  33.0   
 Atlanta Falcons  28.0
 Houston Texans  28.0   
 Denver Broncos  21.0 

Wow. I'm very surprised. Thanks for the stats. I guess the numbers seem very good. It just seemed to my eyes that without CM3, that pass rush was lacking. It would be interesting to flesh out the details of sack totals when and with CM3 in the lineup vs. when he wasn't.

Also, are these stats including playoffs? I only ask because NFL.com has the packers at 47 sacks for the regular season. Splitting hairs for sure but anemic pass rush doesn't mean that sacks are the cure. CM3 doesn't always get the sack but his disruptive nature on passing downs is key.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:09:37 AM by Bud »

57packer

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 06:09:01 AM »

I hope you're right on Perry developing, but I never was sold on him from what I watched of him at USC. Remember, he added around 15 pnds after the season leading up to the Combine, trying to appeal to teams playing a 4-3 looking for a DE, and publicly had stated he didn't want to be a 3-4 OLB. (I actually think he was right--he would have been better as a 4-3 DE prospect).  Many were enamored by him for his great 4.65ish 40 time at the Combine at his heavier 270pnd weight. But again, from what I watched of him in college even at his lighter weight (around 250pnds), he looked a bit stiff to me, lacking lateral agility. He didn't look fast on tape. This is something which 40 times don't necessarily show (unlike 10yd shuttle). As far as his strength, he always had strength--I mean, he put up 35 reps on the bench at the Combine. Also, all but one of his 9 sacks that I saw from his last year at USC were garbage, coverage type sacks.   

No doubt, the Packers understandably liked Perry for his potential to set the edge in run contain, which was something they were lacking in their OLB's (Matthew's is average in that aspect of run contain, albeit being elite in the tackling aspect and also elite in the other two duties of a 3-4 OLB, namely pass rush and pass coverage.) Yet I think anyone who expects him to ever develop a skill set of a Matthews in terms of pass rush and pass coverage is flat-out fooling themselves.  The question I still ask myself is whether or not a one-dimensional OLB prospect whose main talent is run contain is really worth a 1st rnd pick. As I argued during last draft, I still would have picked a prospect like LT/OG Cordy Glenn in the first rnd and drafted an OLB in the 2nd rnd or later, especially if what you primarily wanted was a one-dimensional edge-setting/run-stuffing OLB.  But again, as I said, I hope you're right about Perry and I am wrong!!!

I'm not actually taking a position on Perry as much as just wondering about making yet another early Rd investment in an OLB.  I had my doubts about Perry when his agility numbers came in at the combine, but trusted TT and the staff.  I actually don't know what to think of Perry at this point.  Early results weren't great, but few rookies are great right out of the box.  I'm hopeful, but unconvinced that he'll get better with more time learning the position.  I'd actually like a whole season's worth of evaluation before I throw another high pick at the position, though I suppose a late 2nd rounder isn't really that big an investment.

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 06:53:32 AM »

Green Bay Packers   51.0   
 Baltimore Ravens   38.0   
 Seattle Seahawks  33.0   
 Atlanta Falcons  28.0
 Houston Texans  28.0   
 Denver Broncos  21.0 

And outside of Clay, I think the next highest guy's sack total was 4 or 4.5 and that might have been Neal.  Without Clay there is no real pressure on the QB.

BTW.

Loved this mock.
I'm liking Jones more now that I saw him in the championship game.  He is quite tall, but it is in the upper body, his legs look smaller (comparatively) and tree like.  He isn't going to be outleveraged.

Love the OLB in round #2.  We can always slide Perry inside on passing downs and let him play his power game.  We actually get better at two positions if we do this.

Ball.  Decent value in round #3. 

Just a nice, well thought out draft.  For my liking....

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 06:10:40 PM »

Green Bay Packers   51.0   
 Baltimore Ravens   38.0   
 Seattle Seahawks  33.0   
 Atlanta Falcons  28.0
 Houston Texans  28.0   
 Denver Broncos  21.0 

And outside of Clay, I think the next highest guy's sack total was 4 or 4.5 and that might have been Neal.  Without Clay there is no real pressure on the QB.

BTW.

Loved this mock.
I'm liking Jones more now that I saw him in the championship game.  He is quite tall, but it is in the upper body, his legs look smaller (comparatively) and tree like.  He isn't going to be outleveraged.

Love the OLB in round #2.  We can always slide Perry inside on passing downs and let him play his power game.  We actually get better at two positions if we do this.

Ball.  Decent value in round #3. 

Just a nice, well thought out draft.  For my liking....

I thought it was also..... ;)